Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I wanted to see Henderson/Franklin too, but maybe they wanted Hendo to get a win under his belt in this run in the UFC first?

Is it too late to get tix to that event?

That is what I am thinking too. I am sure they want to get him a win, but it is far from a given. Should be an interesting fight.

They have some tickets still available, but the moderate-to-low priced ones are gone. They still have some $604 ones available, but I don't think I can afford a few of those right now. :)

I just watched that bout last night, Noons wasn't killing him in standup, it was a knee to the face that busted Diaz open....

Diaz couldn't take Noons down (Diaz's wrestling is suspect) but he was catching Noons with jabs and keeping him at bay with his reach.

Diaz almost always takes fights into the 2nd-3rd rounds before finishing...besides that's a weak way to win a fight, especially if you're going to talk about wanting to be a top-ten LW.

Yes, Nick is a big-time slow starter. I must confess, I haven't seen the fight since the night it happened, but I remember Noons kept knocking him down with punches. It was awfully one-sided the way I remember it.

Where did you watch it? I may need to review.

Yes, Nick is a big-time slow starter. I must confess, I haven't seen the fight since the night it happened, but I remember Noons kept knocking him down with punches. It was awfully one-sided the way I remember it.

Where did you watch it? I may need to review.

I've got it on DVD. I'm sure you can find it online somewhere if you look hard though.

I think the blood made it look more one-sided than it really was, Diaz obviously wasn't hurt (by hurt, I mean rocked or close to being KOd) and Noons definitely wasn't going to take him down and try to submit him or anything.

They still have some $604 ones available, but I don't think I can afford a few of those right now. :)

:yikes: Me either! :movefast:

This is the only thread I've been posting on here since the end of the season so let's keep it going. I know, UFC's not til' next weekend and Affliction not until 2 weeks after that, so there's nothing to talk about right? WRONG.

Who is your favorite fighter and why? Let's keep it to one.

Mine's Penn. Part of it is that I'm originally from Hawaii but I also think it's cool how quickly he earned his BJJ black belt and dominated the Pan Ams. His flexibility on the ground, technique on the ground, and takedown defense when he wants to keep it off the ground are sick.

I also think it's cool that barring the Pulver loss, which I consider a fluke because of how easily he dominated in the rematch, he's only lost to opponents that are naturally larger than him = Lyoto Machida (205), Hughes (170), GSP (170). The Unanimous Decision win over Renzo Gracie is also impressive.

I believe that he is a phenom and he knows it, that's why he didn't take his conditioning seriously, figuring he'd get the KO or the tap before it went the distance. I think the back to back losses to GSP and Hughes were eye opening to him so he took some time off, got his mind right, hired a strength and conditioning coach for the first time in his career, and has looked unstoppable ever since. He's light years ahead of anyone at 155.

Anyone who wants to make a sig bet against Rampage I will take up.

I think Rampage is going to beat him senseless. I like Forrest but I dont think he has a shot in hell.

I tend to agree with you but with Forrest's chin and his willingness to swing through pretty much anything you never know. I wouldn't bet on Forrest but I wouldn't be shocked if he somehow pulled it out. Guys with heart like that are hard to predict.

I tend to agree with you but with Forrest's chin and his willingness to swing through pretty much anything you never know. I wouldn't bet on Forrest but I wouldn't be shocked if he somehow pulled it out. Guys with heart like that are hard to predict.

keith jardine knocked him stupid though and you saw what Wanderlay did to Keith.

I know that Wanderlay got Rampage but that was at the beginning of Rampage's career if I am not mistaken.

I do like Forrest and if it was against anyone else (except maybe Chuck) I would root for him and defend him. I just think that Rampage is too strong and obviously has good hands.

Man I wish they would just hang out together and drink. I bet they are 2 of the funniest guys in the world when drunk..:laugh:

This is the only thread I've been posting on here since the end of the season so let's keep it going. I know, UFC's not til' next weekend and Affliction not until 2 weeks after that, so there's nothing to talk about right? WRONG.

Mine's Penn. Part of it is that I'm originally from Hawaii but I also think it's cool how quickly he earned his BJJ black belt and dominated the Pan Ams. His flexibility on the ground, technique on the ground, and takedown defense when he wants to keep it off the ground are sick.

I also think it's cool that barring the Pulver loss, which I consider a fluke because of how easily he dominated in the rematch, he's only lost to opponents that are naturally larger than him = Lyoto Machida (205), Hughes (170), GSP (170). The Unanimous Decision win over Renzo Gracie is also impressive.

I believe that he is a phenom and he knows it, that's why he didn't take his conditioning seriously, figuring he'd get the KO or the tap before it went the distance. I think the back to back losses to GSP and Hughes were eye opening to him so he took some time off, got his mind right, hired a strength and conditioning coach for the first time in his career, and has looked unstoppable ever since. He's light years ahead of anyone at 155.

i don't think you can label the first Pulver fight a fluke because of how the 2nd fight played out. Pulver was a much different fighter the first time they fought. Pulver won that first fight because he was the better man that night, no fluke involved.

my favorite fighter going right now is Anderson Silva. his accuracy with his strikes is what most impresses me. you can tell he's constantly thinking of ways to end the fight with a combination of strikes. his knockout of Tony Fryklund remains one of the best KO's i've ever seen as he threw a standing elbow like a normal uppercut and knocked the guy cold.

in addition to his striking, he's dangerous on the ground. he mainly uses his bjj to get the fight back to standing, but he has shown he can submit high caliber guys on the ground. the best part is that Silva is a funny dude outside the cage.

My favorite fighter is going to have to be Rampage. I love that he plays to the camera at all times even right before they start the fight. He is funny as hell, he will crack a joke at any time and I just love the pure raw power he has. When he was in Pride he was in a triangle choke and he picked the guy up over his head and slammed him. I love the howling at the moon and I love that he is a genuine good dude out of the ring. He doesnt fight dirty, he is really cool and he can kick ass.

he was on the radio in SD and they were taking calls.

caller: hey Rampage, I was wondering how it is you train to get ready for Chuck?

Rampage: First off, I think you nosey. You dont know me dude. Who you talking to like that?

PURE COMEDY!!

Hmmm, tough to say who my favorite fighter is. Right now, I'd probably say Forrest. He's pretty much the only TUF'er that I have tons of respect for. He's by no means one of the best fighters at 205, but he's got incredible heart, and aside from the Jardine KO, all of his fights are wars. He is also very humble, which is apparently a trait that is almost exclusively his in terms of TUF'ers.

I guess my second favorite (or possibly even first favorite) could be Anderson Silva. Rather than just rehashing what StillUnkown posted, I just find him to be a class act. When he beat the snot out of Franklin the second time, he laid down the belt in front of Rich and kneeled as a sign of respect. Very few fighters have that much humility. :2cents:

I was just watching Forrest vs. Shogun last night (bought the UFC Best of 2007 DVD) and that's the conclusion I came to.

I'm favoring Rampage but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Forrest pulled it out. Forrest's best chance is to take Rampage down (not an easy task) and beat him on the ground, Forrest has better jiu jitsu and a tough chin and outsizes Rampage by a lot I could see it happening.

On the other side, Rampage just needs to keep the fight standing and he can easily outbox Forrest and maybe get him down and pound out a TKO as Rampage's boxing is excellent these days and we've seen Forrest lack in the standup department in the past.

The most likely outcome IMO though, is a fight similar to Rampage/Henderson, a 5-round war that comes to a decision.

As far as favorite fighters, most of you guys know I'm into training kickboxing and western boxing so I've always liked strikers.

My all-time faves include Cro-Cop, Wanderlei and Chuck.

Anderson Silva is getting very high up on my list these days too....he's currently one of my favorite fighters. I also have to mention Urijah Faber, I love the way he pushes the pace in fights. I'm also a big Nick Diaz and GSP fan these days too.

Hey guys. Strikeforce card tonight on HDNet (and probably somewhere on the net).

Always good to watch El nino fight.

-Gilbert Melendez (#6 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Josh Thomson

-Bobby Southworth vs. Anthony Ruiz

-Jeremiah Metcalf vs. Raymond Daniels

-Nam Phan vs. Billy Evangelista

-Elaina Maxwell vs. Meisha Tate

-Chris Cariaso vs. Anthony Figueroa

-Jesse Gillespie vs. Dave Martin

-Bobby Stack vs. Jose Palacios

-Alvin Cacdac vs. Brian Caraway

-Cyrillo Padhillo vs. Jesse Jones

-Eric Jacob vs. Alexander Trivino

-Josh Neal vs. Travis Johnson

Just one this time? I'll just quote my answer from the first time you asked :laugh:

Nah I haven't seen those pics, I guess you posted them before I joined, as you can see I've only been around for a few months.

That's awesome, GSP is quite the technician and one of my favorite fighters. I like him because he has great form in everything that he does. My other favorites are BJ Penn and Din Thomas. I like BJ because I'm from Hawaii too and his flexibility in the guard and jiujitsu are amazing. I've liked Din ever since he called out Floyd Mayweather after a win in which he showed some great boxing and his jiujitsu is nice too. I like him even more now that I'm a part of the American Top Team family and I got to roll with him.

All 3 of my favorite fighters are pretty well rounded, I think. Who is everyone elses favorites? Limit 3.

I have two favortie fighters that when they are fighting it feels kind of like watching a Redskins game:

BJ Penn. It sounds like he is on top of his game training wise. That is bad news for everyone that fights between 155 and 170. Watching Penn-Sherk will feel kind of like watching a Skins-Dallas game (sounds kind of blasphemous when I say it like that, but I think you guys know what I mean :laugh: )

Josh Barnett. Another guy I have been watching since the beginning of his career. I honestly think he can beat Fedor. I hope he gets that fight. After a Fedor win I am sure the UFC will pony up to get him so he can take back his UFC title.

After those two I really like Big Nog, Anderson Silva, Wanderlie, and the list just builds from there.

I'll add that I tend to like Brazialns sicne I used to live there when I was a kid. Though it is becoming less, and less of a connection.

Back after some time off, didn't get to see the last UFC on spike. About to watch it now. I think Tanner has fallen off the proverbial cliff, expecting to see Grove exit him out. Bringing my pillow with me just in case.

Excited to see this next card coming up. I think Forrest has a good chance of hanging with Rampage if he can get inside. He HAS to put his wrestling up against him, as bad as it sounds. Forrest can get clipped at any moment, so the odds are very much against him. But if Forrest brings the fight inside and works from there, he might be able to find a hole in Rampage's game. Watch out for quick knees from sudden thai clinches and immediate re-shooting after breaking greco clinches. Forrest has quickly become a ground fighter.

Silva moving up to 205 is probably the most butterfly-inducing move in a long time for most MMA fans. We knew Anderson would probably do this, but it is still a little scary. Timing, speed, strength, leverage, all of those adjustments make you have to work especially hard mentally. Anderson, obviously, is eager to welcome in a new challenge. He should beat James Irvin, and he's had time to ease in to the adjustment. I just hope he doesn't wear his brain down by having to adjust weights every time he fights. Middleweight has some prospects that will want a chance quite soon. Wondering if this is just for ****s and giggles, or if he really wants to own two of the UFC belts.

You can tell Brandon Vera is pissed about roid-ref's stoppage of the Werdum fight. Right back in this month's lineup, I like the determination.

The Franca/Edgar fight should be good. But Frankie's last fight was an ugly loss. Franca is rested, but could also be rusty.

Real excited about seeing Anthony Johnson fight Kevin Burns, because Burns will get KTFO or Johnson will be put to bed...and real quick, too. That means, we get to see an undercard fight or two. By the way, what's with all the nobodies on the undercard? UFC doing some major dumping and drafting lately.

UFC 87 is looking really sick right now. I'd like to see the Cummo fight put down on the undercard and the Rollins/Saunders fight brought up. It has room for another fight, also. I've been saying put up Bisping/Franklin, maybe that's a good spot if Bisping is up to keeping this 2-a-month fight pace going.

I see they really want Chuck to fight Rashad. Guess it makes sense. Would still like to see Shogun/Chuck.

Hey guys. Strikeforce card tonight on HDNet (and probably somewhere on the net).

Always good to watch El nino fight.

-Gilbert Melendez (#6 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Josh Thomson

-Bobby Southworth vs. Anthony Ruiz

-Jeremiah Metcalf vs. Raymond Daniels

-Nam Phan vs. Billy Evangelista

-Elaina Maxwell vs. Meisha Tate

-Chris Cariaso vs. Anthony Figueroa

-Jesse Gillespie vs. Dave Martin

-Bobby Stack vs. Jose Palacios

-Alvin Cacdac vs. Brian Caraway

-Cyrillo Padhillo vs. Jesse Jones

-Eric Jacob vs. Alexander Trivino

-Josh Neal vs. Travis Johnson

I apologize for reminding everyone about this card. I hope you didn't waste your time watching it. I can't believe how long and boring it was.

Melendez-Thompson wasn't bad. Completely one-sided though.

Thompson won by UD all judges gave him 50-45