Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

no way in hell should Chuck get a title shot if he beats Rashad, going 2-2 in a division that is as stacked as LHW should not be good enough for a title shot, especially if Rampage still has the title considering he's finished Chuck twice

but knowing Dana, he'll find a way to justify giving Chuck a shot.

no way in hell should Chuck get a title shot if he beats Rashad, going 2-2 in a division that is as stacked as LHW should not be good enough for a title shot, especially if Rampage still has the title considering he's finished Chuck twice

but knowing Dana, he'll find a way to justify giving Chuck a shot.

Dana gave Rampage a shot for beating Marvin Eastman, he gave Randy a HW shot basically for free, and he gave Forrest one after beating Hector Ramirez and Shogun. So don't be surprised if Chuck gets a shot if he walks through Rashad. Dana will find ways to give his stars title shots.

Dana gave Rampage a shot for beating Marvin Eastman, he gave Randy a HW shot basically for free, and he gave Forrest one after beating Hector Ramirez and Shogun. So don't be surprised if Chuck gets a shot if he walks through Rashad. Dana will find ways to give his stars title shots.

IMO he deserves the shot. He deserved it immediately after losing to Rampage. He doesn't, however, deserve it for beating Rashad. He deserves it for being a dominant LHW champion. Wouldn't hurt from a business angle either. I say give him 'Page one last time, and if he loses, he can make the jump to an anemic HW division starving for competition.

that title shot was apart of Dana's plan of pumping up Chuck's legacy by letting him avenge all of his losses, i honestly don't think Dana expected Rampage to defeat Chuck.

UFC needs an official ranking system, instead of just going off the minds of Dana White & Joe Silva

that title shot was apart of Dana's plan of pumping up Chuck's legacy by letting him avenge all of his losses, i honestly don't think Dana expected Rampage to defeat Chuck.

UFC needs an official ranking system, instead of just going off the minds of Dana White & Joe Silva

I knew he was going to lose that fight when ESPN was hyping it so big. If anyone ever saw their first fight in Pride, Rampage dominated Chuck that entire fight, he just has the perfect style to matchup against Chuck and win.

IMO he deserves the shot. He deserved it immediately after losing to Rampage. He doesn't, however, deserve it for beating Rashad. He deserves it for being a dominant LHW champion. Wouldn't hurt from a business angle either. I say give him 'Page one last time, and if he loses, he can make the jump to an anemic HW division starving for competition.

Chuck's one of my all-time favorite fighters but I think that loss to Jardine hurt his path to a title shot.

His dominance from 2004-2006 is hard to argue against but he got beat bad by Rampage and showed up flat against Jardine.

Even though his fight with Wanderlei was one of the best of 2007 and he dominated Wanderlei in the last two rounds, I still think he needs to beat Rashad and another top LHW to get a shot at the title. Especially considering how stacked the LHW division is.

Chuck's loss to Jardine should not hurt his title shot chances. It's not like he was dominated or KOed. He is a legend of the sport and was a champion who ruled with an iron fist until Rampage showed up. People want to count him out just because he had a bad run of 2 fights and I think the only reason he lost to Jardine was because he was gun shy, just like any fighter is after being KOed.

What would be very interesting is if Griffin wins the title and it ends up being Griffin vs. Liddell.

Chuck's loss to Jardine should not hurt his title shot chances. It's not like he was dominated or KOed. He is a legend of the sport and was a champion who ruled with an iron fist until Rampage showed up. People want to count him out just because he had a bad run of 2 fights and I think the only reason he lost to Jardine was because he was gun shy, just like any fighter is after being KOed.

What would be very interesting is if Griffin wins the title and it ends up being Griffin vs. Liddell.

I won't be mad if he beats Rashad and gets a shot but I'd still like to see him fight someone else. I really want to see him fight Shogun and Machida.

And Forrest vs. Chuck would be interesting, Forrest is one of the few LHW's bigger than Chuck.

i don't think he should get a shot after Rashad, but it would be easier to justify if someone other than Rampage were champion. if Rampage is still champ, then there really is no justification, especially considering how deep the division is.

This may be closer to the point than I was getting. I would not expect him to beat Rampage and so would be less inclined to have interest in that fight. However, if someone else were champ I'd have to favor Chuck in the matchup and would be very pumped to see it.

i don't think he should get a shot after Rashad, but it would be easier to justify if someone other than Rampage were champion. if Rampage is still champ, then there really is no justification, especially considering how deep the division is.

I think you and I (and apparently a number of people) have a fundamental difference in our opinions on champions deserving a rematch. IMO, a champion should almost always get a rematch, particularly if the loss is a flash KO. Even if it wasn't, I still think Chuck needs to get the rematch now. He's getting older and older, and is more and more injury prone. Get it done and over with now. If he loses, no questions. If he wins, well, that's a different matter.

Chuck's loss to Jardine while disappointing wasn't exactly a back breaking loss. More like Chuck came in a little weary after getting KTFO. I'd like to see a Jardine rematch, I'd guarantee Jardine gets his ass handed to him. I'd really like to see Chuck vs Griffin regardless if Forrest beats Rampage or not. Chuck beats Rashad, then faces Griffin, then Rampage if he still has the belt. If Rampage loses to Griffin, then I think Rampage vs Wandy would be in order.

I'd rather see Chuck vs. Machida too.

I'm just not that interested in Chuck vs. Rampage 3 or Wanderlei vs. Rampage 3. I think there are more interesting fights in the LHW division to get out of the way first.

If Chuck uses kicks, spinning backfists and takedowns like he did against Wanderlei, I think that the Machida fight wouldn't be too boring.

I'd rather see Chuck vs. Machida too.

I'm just not that interested in Chuck vs. Rampage 3 or Wanderlei vs. Rampage 3. I think there are more interesting fights in the LHW division to get out of the way first.

If Chuck uses kicks, spinning backfists and takedowns like he did against Wanderlei, I think that the Machida fight wouldn't be too boring.

Wandy's not as defense oriented as Machida is. Machida defense is sound and he doesn't take enough risks to be hit by a spinning backfist from chuck. i don't think Chuck would be able to take Machida down, his takedown defense is pretty good. i think Machida would win a boring but convincing decision over Chuck.

UFC 86 Countdown is tonight at midnight

I think you and I (and apparently a number of people) have a fundamental difference in our opinions on champions deserving a rematch. IMO, a champion should almost always get a rematch, particularly if the loss is a flash KO. Even if it wasn't, I still think Chuck needs to get the rematch now. He's getting older and older, and is more and more injury prone. Get it done and over with now. If he loses, no questions. If he wins, well, that's a different matter.

I somewhat agree, but being 0-2 against the champ changes things. Rampage has owned Chuck twice. He needs to do more than avaerage to get a third shot. Think of Rampage for a second. Why should he be subjected to fighting a guy for the third time after beating him twice? Machida and Thiago deserve it more. Wanderlei may even deserve it more if Rampage wins. Silva has dominated Rampage twice, it isn't like Silva got KO'd or anything against Chuck. It was his first fight back in the UFC and came up short.

Assuming Chuck beat Rashad, I'd like to see:

Wanderlei-Chuck

Machida-Thiago

or any mix of these guys

whoever looks the best gets a title shot. The other winner fights the loser of Rampage-Forrest, or Shogun for the next title shot.

If Rampage losses though maybe he should get a rematch though. What would you think about that, hermag?

Wanderlei-Chuck

Machida-Thiago

or any mix of these guys

I pretty much agree with this, although I don't know if Wandy/Chuck 2 is necessary just yet....maybe a few fights down the road, I'd like to see that fight go 5 rounds too even though it won't happen unless one of them gets the title.

I somewhat agree, but being 0-2 against the champ changes things. Rampage has owned Chuck twice. He needs to do more than avaerage to get a third shot. Think of Rampage for a second. Why should he be subjected to fighting a guy for the third time after beating him twice? Machida and Thiago deserve it more. Wanderlei may even deserve it more if Rampage wins. Silva has dominated Rampage twice, it isn't like Silva got KO'd or anything against Chuck. It was his first fight back in the UFC and came up short.

Wanderlei-Chuck

Machida-Thiago

or any mix of these guys

whoever looks the best gets a title shot. The other winner fights the loser of Rampage-Forrest, or Shogun for the next title shot.

If Rampage losses though maybe he should get a rematch though. What would you think about that, hermag?

Well, I look at it like this. Chuck is 0-2 against 'Page, but 1 of those losses occurred in Pride, and it was 5 years ago. In addition, as we've seen, fighters can change drastically when put in the cage. Rampage KO'd Chuck, no doubt, but caught him on the button, so it was anti-climatic, at least to me. Certainly he BEAT Chuck (go so far as to say embarrassed Chuck), but who knows what could have happened had Chuck not left his guard down after throwing the body shot. It's not like Chuck has a soft chin and gets KO'd all the time. In addition, that was Chuck's belt for a long time before Rampage came over. To me, Chuck deserved an automatic rematch.

That being said, Chuck just beat Wandy not too long ago. Why would he have to go through him again just to get a title shot? If you want to put him against Mach or Silva, I can understand that. I am still, however, and always have/will be in favor of the champion getting an automatic rematch. Had 'Page beaten Chuck twice in the UFC, then I'd be more on the side of "he has to earn his shot at the title". If he hadn't held the belt for so long, I'd also tend to agree with all of you.

Did anyone listen to the interview on Beatdown with Juanito Ibarra? Nothing super exciting, but he did say that Quinton came into training at ~240 lbs, a weight he hadn't been at for about 3 years when Ibarra took over as his manager. Apparently Jackson said to not ever let him get back to that weight again.

That being said, just a couple of questions and I'm curious about your opinions:

1. I'm fairly certain that Forrest has better cardio than Rampage (though he hung with Hendo for 5 rounds). So, can Forrest only win by taking the fight to the later rounds and/or decision?

2. Does anyone think Forrest has the KO power to put Rampage out?

3. In your opinion, what is Quinton's biggest weakness? I can't really think of anything major off the top of my head. Being outjits'd?

4. Lastly, WTF is up with Ibarra saying that "it's God's plan" that he and Rampage came together, and that God made Rampage to be a fighter? I honestly don't get the whole "God wants me to win and you to lose" mentality.

Did anyone listen to the interview on Beatdown with Juanito Ibarra? Nothing super exciting, but he did say that Quinton came into training at ~240 lbs, a weight he hadn't been at for about 3 years when Ibarra took over as his manager. Apparently Jackson said to not ever let him get back to that weight again.

That being said, just a couple of questions and I'm curious about your opinions:

1. I'm fairly certain that Forrest has better cardio than Rampage (though he hung with Hendo for 5 rounds). So, can Forrest only win by taking the fight to the later rounds and/or decision?

2. Does anyone think Forrest has the KO power to put Rampage out?

3. In your opinion, what is Quinton's biggest weakness? I can't really think of anything major off the top of my head. Being outjits'd?

4. Lastly, WTF is up with Ibarra saying that "it's God's plan" that he and Rampage came together, and that God made Rampage to be a fighter? I honestly don't get the whole "God wants me to win and you to lose" mentality.

1. Forrest probably does have better cardio, but both can 5 rounds so it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Forrest isn't aggressive enough to make Rampage expend the amount of energy he would have to in order to gas.

2. Forrest doesn't have much KO power. he has decent technique, but power has never been his strength. his best shot is to catch rampage with a knee or three. i can't see forrest ko'ng rampage with a punch

3. Rampage biggest weakness is knees from the clinch. Rampage can take a helluva punch, knees not so much. Rampage has only been tapped once i think and that was to Sakuraba. he doesn't have much bjj technique, but he has proven that his brute strength can get him out of alot of dangerous spots

4. Juanito & Rampage hooked up shortly after or before Rampage became a born again christian. that type of mentality is good if the fighter believes in it, because thats really the only opinion that matters. if rampage truly believes it, maybe it helps him mentally.

1. Forrest probably does have better cardio, but both can 5 rounds so it shouldn't be a deciding factor. Forrest isn't aggressive enough to make Rampage expend the amount of energy he would have to in order to gas.

2. Forrest doesn't have much KO power. he has decent technique, but power has never been his strength. his best shot is to catch rampage with a knee or three. i can't see forrest ko'ng rampage with a punch

3. Rampage biggest weakness is knees from the clinch. Rampage can take a helluva punch, knees not so much. Rampage has only been tapped once i think and that was to Sakuraba. he doesn't have much bjj technique, but he has proven that his brute strength can get him out of alot of dangerous spots

4. Juanito & Rampage hooked up shortly after or before Rampage became a born again christian. that type of mentality is good if the fighter believes in it, because thats really the only opinion that matters. if rampage truly believes it, maybe it helps him mentally.

You are definitely spot on with all counts. I just re-watched both Wandy fights and the Shogun fight. He definitely needs to stay out of the clinch, but DAMN he's got a chin. Shogun should've KO'd him with about 10 different shots, and that 2nd Wandy fight. Just, damn.

That being said (and I hope I'm getting the fights in the correct order), in the first Wandy fight, what was the deal with standing them up so quickly, just to give Wandy a yellow card? It appeared that Rampage was working the GnP effectively. Once they stood up, it looked as though Rampage had tired quite a bit. I'm not saying Rampage would've won, but that looked like BS to me.

Lastly (damn, I need to stop being so long winded), was Shogun on 'roids in Pride? Seriously, he looked VERY different back then. I had forgotten how much of a bad ass he was.

Like I said Rampage will win if he keeps the fight standing and hurts Forrest with his boxing, Forrest can win if he takes the fight to the ground and uses his bjj to try and choke/submit Rampage. If it goes the distance I think Rampage has a slight advantage. Although Forrest may be able to control him given his size.

What is all this talk of Forrest's "size"? He's only 2 inches taller than Rampage and doesn't look THAT physically impressive. Rampage looks more jacked to me. I just don't see Forrest being able to pick up and slam someone who has attempted to armbar or triangle him like Rampage can.

What is all this talk of Forrest's "size"? He's only 2 inches taller than Rampage and doesn't look THAT physically impressive. Rampage looks more jacked to me. I just don't see Forrest being able to pick up and slam someone who has attempted to armbar or triangle him like Rampage can.

Forrest is 2 inches taller and walks around at about 240. He could easily fight as a HW but like someone else posted, Rampage came into training camp at 240 himself so Forrest's size might not be a factor...that being said Forrest is going to be the bigger fighter when they step in the ring on fight night.

I think Forrest can win this fight standing or on the mat. He can turn it into a brawl and hurt Rampage, or he can gain a good position in a scramble and finish the fight on the ground. I think Rampage is very beatable. I am picking him to win, but I won't be too surprised if Forrest wins.

i think brawling would be to forrest's disadvantage. he has to maintain some form of technique. if he goes out and tries to brawl, Rampage will drop him and finish him. If Jardine could put Forrest down with a shot, i'm certain Rampage could do the same. Forrest's best bet would be to try and potshot rampage from the outside and hope Rampage gets careless.