Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

No chance, he is going to his back faster then Tito's wife.

:)

Condit's fight against Nick Diaz showed me he's learned to become a game planner. Just like St. Pierre and other smart fighters who try to win before even entering the cage. I'm not calling Condit a better fighter. I do think though, that Carlos is getting the best opportunity someone can get to beat GSP since Serra. Better, even. He's a huge underdog and he should be but he can punch and he's smart.

The UFC will get lucky because after GSP beats Condit (IF), it will be just about time for Nick Diaz to come off his suspension, and I bet you anything the interest is still there for a Diaz/GSP fight regardless of Diaz losing to Condit, because the fight was very close and competitive. That also gives GSP another way of not taking the Silva fight, a fight in which he has showed zero interest in as of yet.

Also, I would contest GSP's wrestling being better than Chael's. And even if it is technique-wise, you aren't taking into account the different in strength, reach, power etc etc.....

GSP, IMO would have a hard time shooting in to close the distance needed to even get a takedown. He probably eats a knee to the face on his first shoot, and the fight would just about be over at that point.

IMO, Silva has too many ways he can win that fight, while the only way GSP could conceivable win was to take Silva down every single round and lay & pray his way to a "grinding decision" and it just isn't likely.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-ufc-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-ultimate-fighter-20121016,0,1269872.story

Jon Jones didn't want to fight Chael Sonnen on a week's notice, but now the Ultimate Fighting Championship light-heavyweight champion will be subjected to perhaps a crueler fate:

Spending weeks on end around the quick-witted, in-your-face title contender.

UFC President Dana White told The Times on Tuesday that Jones and Sonnen have been assigned as opposing coaches in the third installment of "The Ultimate Fighter" on FX, creating some extensive pre-fight hype for their April 27 pay-per-view title match at a site to be determined.

"The Ultimate Fighter" with Jones and Sonnen is set to begin shooting on Oct. 29 in Las Vegas, with a debut in early January as young middleweights participate in a tournament that leads up to an April "TUF" finale at the Vegas Hard Rock Hotel, where the winner will receive a multi-fight UFC contract.

"This should be a good one," White said of matching arguably his organization’s best fighter against its top personality. "Jon has accepted the fight. He knows the fans want to see that fight."

Because Chael deserves it.....

Dana continues down the MMA as a circus act path. I hope ESPN makes him the cover story of their magazine with the headline "The New Face of the UFC. Convicted Criminal, Liar, Cheater, and Loud Mouth" Perhaps write a few lines about how Dana White has outlived his usefulness to the sport.

Dana continues down the MMA as a circus act path. I hope ESPN makes him the cover story of their magazine with the headline "The New Face of the UFC. Convicted Criminal, Liar, Cheater, and Loud Mouth" Perhaps write a few lines about how Dana White has outlived his usefulness to the sport.

ESPN doesn't care enough about MMA to do that

It is rare that I want to see someone get KTFO because of who they are. I was certainly intrigued by Sonnen's trash talk prior to his second meeting with Anderson. He went in to Silva 1 talking outrageous smack, then stifled Mr. Invincible. He got caught, but there was a giant loophole there where he could still talk smack.

Now that his chest is still purple and yellow from Silva's knee, nevermind the sloppy performance against Bisping, I have no interest anymore. Get him the F out. Blah blah blah, you got wrecked.

If Chael somehow did pull off an upset (which isn't going to happen), I'd be incredibly pissed. This guy again? I'd be frothing at the mouth for Machida to decapitate him.

Fight is a joke and I will not order the card or watch the undercard if it's not stacked.

Yeah this is a sick joke. TUF is already dead, but I guess when this version flops with 2 huge stars, maybe Dana will finally kill it.

Chael should have fought Forrest, then one of Rua, Machida, Rashad or Glover before a title shot (at least) and now word is the Forrest fight is off and he jumps right into another title fight. This doesnt even make business sense, Chael could sell PPV cards on his own, and they give up 2 of those to prop up TUF?

I won't buy or watch out of principal, this is a badly planned money grab and publicity stunt by the UFC. I accepted Silva Bonnar because it was a short notice replacement ( & I'm a Silva fan), just like I would have accepted this fight on short notice, but planning it for a late April card of all things, with nothing past December announced, this is just pathetic.

This is the exact kind of matchmaking Dana criticized boxing for in the past.

The standard for a title shot has been completely eroded.

No worries though, Dana will get on his soapbox and recite something like "This is a fight fans fight, if you don't like it, you know nothing about MMA. We don't want your money."

This is the path Dana is taking UFC (and by default, MMA) down. It is becoming all about as much money per card as possible. There is no reason whatsoever that Chael deserves this title fight, or the privileged of being featured on TUF, but Dana sees $$$$$$ due to Sonnen's mouth, so he once again gets thrust into the spotlight.

Remember 2-3 years ago, if a Main Event got messed up due to an injury, the entire card was changed from a PPV to a Spike show. Nowadays you never see that happen, they will look for a replacement regardless of how ill-prepared or outclassed they are, and just throw them in there, then turn around and try to sell them as a "dangerous opponent" just to try and justify people spending $50 on the show.

Remember 2-3 years ago, if a Main Event got messed up due to an injury, the entire card was changed from a PPV to a Spike show.

Not saying you are wrong, but when did this happen? I know there were some international numbered events that were shown via tape delay and some that were planned for Spike, but I can't remember a card that was shifted to Spike due to injusies on the card. Not saying it didnt happen, I just cant remember it. The logistics of that would seem to be very difficult.

I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts and opinions on the way that Silva was taunting Bonnar (or if not "taunting", then what would you call it ?) when Silva intentionally kept walking back to the cage fence with his back against it, and the look on his face, like he was "whistling in boredom" ?

Personally, as I'm watching live, it makes my adrenaline rush whenever Anderson drops his hands. Chael's right about this at least - when Anderson drops his hands he's found his rhythm. Still, to drop your hands and take flush shots from a pro fighter makes me get out of my chair. From accepting bombs from Rivera to Bonnar unloading everything he had against the fence, Anderson has been popped a lot at his own request. He rolls with punches awesomely, but both of those guys connected with some chin shots real nicely. Didn't even phase Anderson.

I think one of the most disheartening things for other fighters when it comes to Anderson is that through all the great defense and offense he possesses, he has a steel chin.

To me, taunting is what the Diaz brothers do, and I don't have a problem with them. This is fighting, you don't like it, then punch that mofo. Bonnar tried, didn't work, end of story.

I'd like to hear you guys' thoughts and opinions on the way that Silva was taunting Bonnar (or if not "taunting", then what would you call it ?) when Silva intentionally kept walking back to the cage fence with his back against it, and the look on his face, like he was "whistling in boredom" ?

I don't have much of an issue with it. Its combat sports, if the other fighter is offended, they have the opportunity to do something about it.

There is no reason whatsoever that Chael deserves this title fight, or the privileged of being featured on TUF, but Dana sees $$$$$$ due to Sonnen's mouth, so he once again gets thrust into the spotlight.

Fight? No. TUF? He's earned that. It's a "reality" show. He's unreal enough for those. :)

As long as he doesn't do for more than 1 round, I'm fine with it.

Five rounds? **** that ****, Anderson.

I don't really dig it but at this point the guy must be bored with the talent level in the UFC. He should be fighting aliens or Bigfoot. Or Bruce Lee.

Or Thanos.

Makes the Nog win even better

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/10/22/3538512/ufc-153-antonio-minotauro-nogueira-broken-rib-dave-herman

UFC 153: Antonio Minotauro Nogueira fought Dave Herman with a broken rib

If you thought Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira looked somewhat less than his best at UFC 153 against Dave Herman, you weren't imagining things. Nogueira has revealed to Tatame.com that he suffered a broken rib in training three weeks before the bout.

Nogueira took the fight on short notice as it was and only had one week of training before hurting his rib.

Nogueira spoke to Sensei Sport TV (translation by Google):

"Fractured my rib three weeks ago on my right side. I went to the doctor, I took a local anesthetic to be able to train and when he (Dave Herman) gave me a shot there, gave me a shortness of breath and took a swung from one side to the other to see what had happened, had broken. There was a big break, but got scared when the kick hit him."

• 2 weeks later...

9 days without a post in this thread. We needed a break after all the recent BS in MMA.

Got a pretty sturdy card on FuelTV on Nov 10th

Rich Franklin vs. Cung Le

Thiago Silva vs. Stanislav Nedkov

Stun Gun Kim vs. Paulo Thiago

Gomi vs. Mac Danzig

Then GSP vs. Condit on Nov 17th...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebO5jK5NKXw&feature=player_embedded

Kampmann vs. Hendricks is co-main. Get your popcorn ready!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/11/2/3591532/ufc-stephan-bonnar-dave-herman-fail-drug-tests-steroids-marijuana

The story of Stephan Bonnar's career sadly appears as though it will be less about his contributions to the sport and more about getting busted twice for using anabolic steroids. Bonnar was one of two fighters, along with Dave Herman, to fail UFC overseen drug testing at UFC 153.

Bonnar has apparently retired following a brutal loss to UFC middleweight king Anderson Silva.

MMA Junkie has the news of the drug test failure:

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with Ultimate Fighting Championship officials that all 24 fighters who competed at this past month's UFC 153 event in Brazil were tested, and Bonnar and Herman were the lone two competitors who failed the screen.

Bonnar tested positive for drostanolone, an anabolic steroid, while Herman's screen was flagged for marijuana metabolites.

Bonnar had also tested positive for an anabolic steroid after his UFC 62 rematch with Forrest Griffin. That means he failed tests after the two biggest post-Ultimate Fighter bouts he took part in.