Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

He has no power and would get absolutely destroyed in the heavyweight division. It's going to cause issues because he's far too long for anyone not named Gus in this division and he doesn't have the power to survive heavyweight. They're not going to let him move up until he loses. He's worth far too much to the UFC as an legend at LHW.

Yeah, especially now with Andy & GSP on the shelf.

Just a thought, Silva & Georges = the UFC version of Magic & Bird in the sense they weren't the first stars, but the stars that helped them grow the most in their time with the organization. That may make Jones the Jordan of the UFC but that's not where I was going.

Not watching tonight, following a feed, sounds like Glover wouldn't mind the Pride no-elbow rule tonight.

Masterful performance. He even fought Glover in a phone booth. Jon Jones is the best LHW ever. period.

Think it might be time for the UFC to start thinking of open the Bones Jones 225lb division. I am still convinced after Gus that Jones is a really good fighter, but his reach plays a huge role in his success vs his competition.

It's been posted here recently, Jones is too big for 205 sans Gus, but not strong enough for the top of the HW division. 225 would be like HW lite, & allow other big 205'ers a chance to not cut as much weight & possibly be better prepared to fight. I think one of the first guys to join him at 225 would be Rumble.

• Like 1

Glover mentioned in his post fight interview that his shoulder was hurt from that tie up they had early in the first round. I remember wincing when it happened because it looked liked something got jacked up.

Kinda reminiscent of Shinya Aoki breaking Keith Wisnewski's arm with shoulder grab type move.

Think it might be time for the UFC to start thinking of open the Bones Jones 225lb division. I am still convinced after Gus that Jones is a really good fighter, but his reach plays a huge role in his success vs his competition.

It's been posted here recently, Jones is too big for 205 sans Gus, but not strong enough for the top of the HW division. 225 would be like HW lite, & allow other big 205'ers a chance to not cut as much weight & possibly be better prepared to fight. I think one of the first guys to join him at 225 would be Rumble.

He fought Glover in a phone booth tonight, reach didn't decide this battle. No need for a 225lb class, it would make HW even thinner as guys cut to avoid Cain and most guys would stay at 205 to avoid Jones. 

This is MMA, nobody gets out undefeated. Jones will lose someday, everybody does eventually.

Jones is a good MMA fighter, might be great even, but until he puts in more fights against guys he doesn't have a 10" reach advantage and 20lbs on, then I am reserving judgement.

Eventually as he gets older he will have no choice but to move up to HW because his body won't agree with the weight cut, but I really hope he moves up on his own terms because he wants to try and prove he can hang with guys his size.

So far he has had 1 fight with someone his size and he arguably lost, but it was a great fight nonetheless.  Whether you think Bones is awesome or not, as a fan of the fight game you should WANT to see him in more fights like that against guys his size/strength.

I wonder if Rogan was told by the brass not to bring up the topic of a Gus rematch during the post-fight because you know it's on everyone's mind and that is usually the kind of thing Rogan would be all over.

Edited by NoCalMike

He has no power and would get absolutely destroyed in the heavyweight division. It's going to cause issues because he's far too long for anyone not named Gus in this division and he doesn't have the power to survive heavyweight. They're not going to let him move up until he loses. He's worth far too much to the UFC as an legend at LHW.

I don't know why he has to be disparaged for being long and possibly losing at HW. Cain isn't a power guy either. He's a motor with finesse. JDS has hands, a chin and a spinning wheel kick. Wouldn't surprise me to see Bones start doing some creatine and squats, then taking JDS out. Cain? That's my dream fight. Would like Jones to have time to tune up, though.

The idea that length has so much to do with Jones' success is baffling. There are tall fighters all over the fricking place. Kickboxing, boxing, MMA...why aren't they all dominating again?

The issue is Jones may actually walk around close to 205. His length is the main reason he dominates fights, I really have no clue how people can even attempt to argue this fact? He has decent stand up that is magnified by his ability to avoid getting hit by fighters who aren't blessed with a massive reach advantage. This was the major issue for him against Gus, not to mention Gus has world-class boxing skills and Jones doesn't.

The problem I have with moving him up is while he has a long frame, he doesn't necessarily have the frame to support fighting heavyweights. The UFC simply cannot risk putting him up against the likes of JDS or Cain. He simply has no shot against either and there's a good chance he'd get destroyed by guys like Werdum, Browne and Overeem as well.

I don't know why he has to be disparaged for being long and possibly losing at HW. Cain isn't a power guy either. He's a motor with finesse. JDS has hands, a chin and a spinning wheel kick. Wouldn't surprise me to see Bones start doing some creatine and squats, then taking JDS out. Cain? That's my dream fight. Would like Jones to have time to tune up, though.

The idea that length has so much to do with Jones' success is baffling. There are tall fighters all over the fricking place. Kickboxing, boxing, MMA...why aren't they all dominating again?

Stefan Struve has just about the length of Jones, has not a single clue how to use it. Jessamyin Duke had reach on her opponent tonight, didn't have a clue how to use it. Jones & Gus are the best at knowing how to use their reach to their advantage. If Gus beats Jones, you will still have a guy who's longer than everybody else with the belt.

He has absolutely nothing to offer JDS or Cain. JDS is bigger, moves nearly as well and can box with the best in the world. Putting Jones in the octagon with Cain and JDS is silly, he literally has no chance with either, none. Jones could tune up for the next five years and he still wouldn't stand a chance at the heavyweight division. He doesn't have power, that is going to cause major issues for him at the next level.

He's a great fighter where he's at right now because no one can match his monster reach advantage. He literally has a 10" reach advantage over everyone (excluding Gus) that he's fighting and the one time he didn't he arguably lost. And the reason they aren't all dominating is because they don't have superior athletic ability the way Gus and Jones do. Being their size and moving like a welterweight is unreal, it creates major advantages that other guys simply cannot make up for.

I think Gus could end up at HW down the road too once he gets older, but I think with Bones specifically when you see him in there against other LHW, he just naturally looks bigger then them, as if he knows how big of an advantage it is to be fighting at LHW due to the physical gifts he holds over these smaller opponents.

The way he was pawing at Glover's face the entire fight in order to keep his distance, that's just something that goes away against guys his own size. 

90% of his opponents at LHW merely resort to throwing wish upon a star haymakers and it is getting boring.  I don't deny Bones's skills. He obviously has a lot of them and is getting better, but these fights feel like sparring matches because he moves in throws a few strikes then moves back outside everyone's reach.

I think Gus could end up at HW down the road too once he gets older, but I think with Bones specifically when you see him in there against other LHW, he just naturally looks bigger then them, as if he knows how big of an advantage it is to be fighting at LHW due to the physical gifts he holds over these smaller opponents.

The way he was pawing at Glover's face the entire fight in order to keep his distance, that's just something that goes away against guys his own size.

90% of his opponents at LHW merely resort to throwing wish upon a star haymakers and it is getting boring. I don't deny Bones's skills. He obviously has a lot of them and is getting better, but these fights feel like sparring matches because he moves in throws a few strikes then moves back outside everyone's reach.

Glover is a killer that some people were touting as the man to knock Jones out. I don't even want to begin listing the examples of smaller men defeating taller men in striking sports. Didn't seem to help Michael Spinks, let's just say that. Wonder how Hector Lombard does so well.

Jones would be a wildcard at HW, who knows wtf would happen. The bottom line is he gives up a ton of lower body strength for reach. He makes the ****ing weight. Jesus Christ.

Glover is a killer that some people were touting as the man to knock Jones out. I don't even want to begin listing the examples of smaller men defeating taller men in striking sports. Didn't seem to help Michael Spinks, let's just say that. Wonder how Hector Lombard does so well.

Jones would be a wildcard at HW, who knows wtf would happen. The bottom line is he gives up a ton of lower body strength for reach. He makes the ****ing weight. Jesus Christ.

I don't think he belongs at heavyweight. I used to believe he should move up but honestly don't see what it would accomplish? He would be destroyed at heavyweight considering his one major advantage would be rendered useless. Jones isn't just a guy with a major reach advantage, he's a physical freak as well, at least at LHW he is. The only two fighters who have a chance against him are Gus and Rumble, that's it. They somewhat limit his reach advantage and both move as well as he does.

He's a damn good fighter but I just don't feel comfortable calling a LHW who cannot knock people out the GOAT.

He's a damn good fighter but I just don't feel comfortable calling a LHW who cannot knock people out the GOAT.

I would understand this more if he were winning decisions, but he has one of the better finishing rates in mma, especially among champions.

He made Shogun Rua tap to strikes, the same Shogun who would later go on to survive 5 rounds and a couple of Henderson H-Bombs.

Thats good enough in my book to make up for a lack of 1-punch power.

I would understand this more if he were winning decisions, but he has one of the better finishing rates in mma, especially among champions.

He made Shogun Rua tap to strikes, the same Shogun who would later go on to survive 5 rounds and a couple of Henderson H-Bombs.

Thats good enough in my book to make up for a lack of 1-punch power.

That's just how I feel. It may seem odd but I'm just baffled by his lack of power. But the truth is I think he will lose and it will happen soon. Whether it be at the hands of Gus or Johnson I personally feel like it's only a matter of time. And I don't hate the guy at all, I've just seen far too many invincible fighters(Fedor, Spider, Machida, Cain) fall to think this run will continue. The sport has just conditioned me this way, I almost expect everyone to lose now lol.

I think if anyone beats him at 205, it will be DC. I think DC is the one guy in the division who may be able to take him down enough to win a decision.

I think Jones will train like a man possessed for the rematch against Gus, I'm thinking Bones will win the rematch in a more convincing fashion.

Edited by StillUnknown

I think Cormier has the skills to beat Bones, but again he will be at a huge dis-advantage reach wise. The difference is Cormier has been a HW and was pretty dominant there as well.

The big issue I have to get over is how he gets inside into his wheel-house without taking 500 elbows to his eyes and getting 5 pokes to the eye the way Jones likes to open has hand and paw at the face.

Jones, when asked by a reporter about Gus at Post-Fight Conference :

"I don't wanna talk about that kid at all. I don't wanna talk about that kid right now"

Dana on the first fight with Gus :

"There's NO WAY he lost that fight with Gus. NO WAY"

@26:10

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/video-replay-ufc-172-post-fight-news-conference

Dana also talked about Anderson, saying he'd be fighting later in the year

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Outside of the main event, one thing I definitely can say about last night is that Luke Rockhold reinforced the fact that 185 is the most exciting division in MMA these days. I can't decide if a rematch with Vitor or Jacare would be best for him. I guess personally, a rematch with Vitor would be what he wants but for the division a rematch with Jacare may be best. Personally, I'd like to see him fight Anderson (Rockhold would lose IMO) but I think it would make for a fairly exciting matchup. Although, I doubt we'll see Anderson fight until 2015 and I hope he gets a tuneup fight when he returns. 

Also, love watching Jim Miller these days, I hope he gets Khabib like he wants. 

Jones is a good MMA fighter, might be great even, but until he puts in more fights against guys he doesn't have a 10" reach advantage and 20lbs on, then I am reserving judgement.

Eventually as he gets older he will have no choice but to move up to HW because his body won't agree with the weight cut, but I really hope he moves up on his own terms because he wants to try and prove he can hang with guys his size.

So far he has had 1 fight with someone his size and he arguably lost, but it was a great fight nonetheless.  Whether you think Bones is awesome or not, as a fan of the fight game you should WANT to see him in more fights like that against guys his size/strength.

I wonder if Rogan was told by the brass not to bring up the topic of a Gus rematch during the post-fight because you know it's on everyone's mind and that is usually the kind of thing Rogan would be all over.

I will never understand this rational. First thing is that Jones doesn't have 20lbs on other 205lbers. Most 205 fighters walk around at 225+. Anderson Silva was heavier than just about every other 185lber that he fought. He had the reach advantange over just about ever guy he faced as well and no one was making this argument. Silva is closer in size to Jones than he is to most of his division.

They need to make a Cruiserweight division! LOL

The big issue I have to get over is how he gets inside into his wheel-house without taking 500 elbows to his eyes and getting 5 pokes to the eye the way Jones likes to open has hand and paw at the face.

This is my only complaint about the fight on saturday night. After Glover was poked in the eye 2-3 times, the ref never made Bones stop pawing. 

That hand-to-forehead is legal and I'm not sure how much it affected the outcome so I won't harp on it but if your fingers are poking, then there's got to be some warnings and/or points taken for continued use of the reach like that.

Anyway, Bones abused a very tough man all night. He deserves some long-overdue props that I personally have not been giving him. He's the best of the rest right now for sure.

Phil Davis just took a way-back seat (like maybe even a station wagon hatchback seat) after all that trash talk.

Outside of the main event, one thing I definitely can say about last night is that Luke Rockhold reinforced the fact that 185 is the most exciting division in MMA these days. I can't decide if a rematch with Vitor or Jacare would be best for him. I guess personally, a rematch with Vitor would be what he wants but for the division a rematch with Jacare may be best. Personally, I'd like to see him fight Anderson (Rockhold would lose IMO) but I think it would make for a fairly exciting matchup. Although, I doubt we'll see Anderson fight until 2015 and I hope he gets a tuneup fight when he returns. 

Luke wants a fight with Bisping, just as much as he wants a fight with Vitor, even though he realizes it would be a step down, in his climb.

As for the 185 division being most exciting, personally I think that the LW division is the most competitive overall.

A Rockhold vs. Jacare rematch makes the most sense assuming Vitor has trouble getting cleared. Their first fight was decent and both have improved since.

On a different note, here's a nice breakdown of the shoulder crank Jones used in the first round to mess up Glover's shoulder: 

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/28/5658702/ufc-172-mini-judo-chop-jon-jones-shoulder-crank

Edited by StillUnknown

That hand-to-forehead is legal and I'm not sure how much it affected the outcome so I won't harp on it but if your fingers are poking, then there's got to be some warnings and/or points taken for continued use of the reach like that.

The pawing may well have been a factor on the outcome. Even Rogan, who seems to adore Jones, called for points to be deducted, after Jones continued to do it, after the first eye poke. Because apparently if you have a full 5-fingers on a guy's forehead like that, it makes him hesitant to drive forward, for fear of having his eyes poked yet again. It's one thing to have a huge reach advantage. But it's yet another thing, to use that reach advantage to cheat, and create an even greater (and unfair) advantage