Takanori Gomi vs. Isaac Vallie-Flagg

Jessamyn Duke vs. Bethe Correia

Joe Ellenberger vs. Vagner Rocha

Prelims (UFC Fight Pass at 7 p.m. ET)

Danny Castillo vs. Charlie Brenneman

Chris Beal vs. Patrick Williams

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll
  • Like 1

If for whatever reason, Gus isn't able to continue his flawless Takedown Defense vs Jones, and Jones lands him on the mat even once, does that put Gus in severe danger, or at least change the whole makeup of the fight ?

I don't think the rematch will be as close as the first fight regardless.

If Bones beats Glover tonight, there's no looking back for a while. He's so far ahead of the pack it's basically a non-factor weight class. He came in lax vs. Gus, almost got beat, and dominated the final round while injured and groggy.

Dude is supreme. I'm kind of hoping Teixeira lands a sweet shot tonight just to mix things up at LHW but I would not count on it. 

Edited by Chachie

I disagree completely chachie. The reality is Jon Jones, while a stud, simply has no power and his stand up is suspect when someone his size is in front of him. Gus has a world class stand up game and clearly beat Jones in the first fight due to that. Glover is a complete fighter, I don't expect Jones to make it out of this one.

• Like 1

I disagree completely chachie. The reality is Jon Jones, while a stud, simply has no power and his stand up is suspect when someone his size is in front of him. Gus has a world class stand up game and clearly beat Jones in the first fight due to that. Glover is a complete fighter, I don't expect Jones to make it out of this one.

Nobody beat anybody clearly in the first fight. Gus is lucky the 4th round ended, too, because he was very, very hurt. I think Jones looked perplexed at how good Gus' hands were early on, then snapped out of it later in the fight.

Think Jones' muay thai is extremely underated. Those spinning elbows and flying knees are powerful, and he dropped Machida hard with a punch, which led to the choke. He gave a muay thai instructional to SHOGUN, of all people.

He may not have the H-Bomb, and give Gus all the credit he deserves...Jones is a dangerous standup fighter. Glover has had shakey moments here and there, too. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Glover getting wobbled on the feet and subsequently finished.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Nobody beat anybody clearly in the first fight. Gus is lucky the 4th round ended, too, because he was very, very hurt. I think Jones looked perplexed at how good Gus' hands were early on, then snapped out of it later in the fight.

Think Jones' muay thai is extremely underated. Those spinning elbows and flying knees are powerful, and he dropped Machida hard with a punch, which led to the choke. He gave a muay thai instructional to SHOGUN, of all people.

He may not have the H-Bomb, and give Gus all the credit he deserves...Jones is a dangerous standup fighter. Glover has had shakey moments here and there, too. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Glover getting wobbled on the feet and subsequently finished.

If Bones had one punch KO power, he would have to be barred from competing. I remember him saying something like "while I may not have one punch KO power, I've demonstrated that I can inflict enough damage to break down the human body."

For all his athletic gifts and skills, I still think his mind is his best asset. He is one of the few in MMA who really studies film on his opponents and sets up gameplans accordingly.

my picks for tonight:

Bones by 2nd Round, (T)KO: Glover is talented, but basic. He doesn't have Gus' length, and more importantly, he doesn't have Gus' speed to confuse Jones on the feet. All bets are off if Glover lands something clean, but before the Gus fight, Jones was pretty adept at not being hit clean. Jones uses his range to keep Glover on the outside, or uses the clinch to secure takedowns if Glover closes the distance. Maybe Glover can find a submission off his back, but he'll have to survive a few hellbows first. Jones has more ways to win, I like him comfortably tonight.

Davis by 2nd Round, Sub: Rumble's been killing people as of late, but I'm betting on Davis remembering that he is a credentialed wrestler. Rumble has decent takedown defense, but Davis will be the best wrestler he's fought. Davis will survive Rumble's initial blitz, he will find the takedown and submit Rumble shortly after.

Rockhold over Boetsch by Unanimous Decision

Medeiros over Miller by (T)KO: Miller has been very beatable lately. If Miller has anything left, he takes Medeiros down and submits him in short order. I'm guessing that Miller is declining at a fast rate and Medeiros will find a killshot before Miller can get him to the ground.

It was pretty clear to most people who won the first fight and it wasn't Jones.  We can go back and forth on this all you want but in my opinion Gus got screwed.

Jones is a great fighter due to his length.  He was getting tagged by Machida until he got ahold of him and that basically ended the fight.  He doesn't have the power to stand and knock people out but yes his knees and elbows are tremendous.

The best fight he's ever had was against Shogun but lets not act like this Shogun is the same one who destroyed Pride.  He's still a damn good fighter but definitely not the same guy.  Ultimately I think Jones will win, again due to his massive reach advantage but will lose in the rematch with Gus.  But again I wouldn't be shocked if Jones goes to sleep tonight. Glover is a monster.

I think Bones fights him a lot like he fought Rampage. He'll use his length to keep the fight at range, and should work for clinch takedowns whenever Glover gets close enough to use his power. Glover's power is real so he always has a punchers chance, but I'm expecting an easy win for Jones.

Agreed.

Said this exactly to my brother last night.

I think Bones will handle his biz tonight and my upset pick is Rumble over Davis.

Edit- Although if the right Tim Boetsch shows up, he can put a whoop on Rockhold. (Two upsets tonight? Hmmm...)

Edited by Chachie

I think Bones will handle his biz tonight and my upset pick is Rumble over Davis.

Edit- Although if the right Tim Boetsch shows up, he can put a whoop on Rockhold. (Two upsets tonight? Hmmm...)

Would rumble beating Davis really be an upset though?

It was pretty clear to most people who won the first fight and it wasn't Jones. We can go back and forth on this all you want but in my opinion Gus got screwed.

As SU said, the second round was the only swing-round, and that particular round was very close. Give the slight edge to Jones every time I watch it. Gus won 1 and 3, Jones 4 and 5.

Jones is a great fighter due to his length. He was getting tagged by Machida until he got ahold of him and that basically ended the fight. He doesn't have the power to stand and knock people out but yes his knees and elbows are tremendous.

He's a great fighter for more than just his length, dude. He ate one good punch from Machida the whole fight. Barely even flinched. Then Jones dropped him like he was hot with a straight right hand. Beat Machida at his own game. The choke was easy as a result of Machida being completely rocked.

So leading into this, question for those that keep up with the UFC more regularly. What's the story regarding Jim Miller? Is he towards the top of the lightweight division or more hovering around middle of the pack? Grew up training with Yancy and was ecstatic to see him getting a chance to bump up onto the main card. I've seen Miller fight a few times and he seems a stout, tough fighter but he didn't exactly jump out at me as someone that couldn't be challenged by a somewhat unproven guy...so hoping my reading of him is right.

So leading into this, question for those that keep up with the UFC more regularly. What's the story regarding Jim Miller? Is he towards the top of the lightweight division or more hovering around middle of the pack? Grew up training with Yancy and was ecstatic to see him getting a chance to bump up onto the main card. I've seen Miller fight a few times and he seems a stout, tough fighter but he didn't exactly jump out at me as someone that couldn't be challenged by a somewhat unproven guy...so hoping my reading of him is right.

Miller used to be near the top, but he's fallen on hard times his last few fights. He's definitely on the downswing of his career. Medeiros is the underdog, but he's a live dog IMO.

• Like 1

So, Dana has already said that Gus gets the winner of tonite's fight, regardless, right ?

Wouldn't that be kind of awkward, somewhat unprecedented, and controversial ?

I mean, especially a champ with a resume like Jones, not getting an immediate rematch after a loss ?

Wouldn't that be akin to Anderson not getting his immediate rematch with Weidmann after their first one ?

I mean, Gus definitely deserves a title shot in his next fight, when you consider his last 2 fights, but it would still be weird seeing Jones lose, and not get an immediate rematch.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

So, Dana has already said that Gus gets the winner of tonite's fight, regardless, right ?

Wouldn't that be kind of awkward, somewhat unprecedented, and controversial ?

I mean, especially a champ with a resume like Jones, not getting an immediate rematch after a loss ?

Wouldn't that be akin to Anderson not getting his immediate rematch with Weidmann after their first one ?

If Jones loses, he would get an automatic rematch.

Gus would be mad, but **** happens. Its not like it would be the first time Dana has gone back on a promised title shot.

Then again, Dana & Jones aren't exactly best buds, he might give Gus the shot just to **** with Jones.

Edited by StillUnknown

Refs really need to enforce the whole "no grabbing the cage" rule.

I'd be cool with deducting a point without a warning if the grab prevented a takedown.

Herb Dean went full Pride mode and kept taking Gomi's fingers out of the fence. Will this be normal procedure now? Like, when Kim Winslow is reffing a couple of heavyweights, she's supposed to step in there and peal fingers? Her Being accidentally KOd from Bigfoot Silva should be great PR.

• Like 1