Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Call me crazy I believe Cromier would beat Bones.

He would be a big test for sure. Jon has the edge standing, but Cormier should have the wrestling advantage. Bones has yet to be taken down though, he could be another GSP, somebody who schools wrestlers despite not having the greatest credentials.

I would go Bones by decision at HW and late round tko at lhw right now if I had to pick.

Because no one wants to see him wrestle for 5 rounds (at least I don't).

I'm sure they can remember that when they are making another MMA movie. I doubt that any champions are building a strategy around what the fans want to see. Besides the UFC has Spider Silva and Junior Dos Santos for those that prefer their champions to remain standing.

Because no one wants to see him wrestle for 5 rounds (at least I don't).

I agree but he's not gonna take any risk. Its all about game planning to win anymore and its smart. Some guys use there speed to hit and run all fight while others dry hump you the whole fight.

Its why I love guys like BJ Penn and Nick Diaz because they want to fight period but its not the smart approach.

I'm sure they can remember that when they are making another MMA movie. I doubt that any champions are building a strategy around what the fans want to see. Besides the UFC has Spider Silva and Junior Dos Santos for those that prefer their champions to remain standing.

The last thing on GSP's mind is what I want to see, so he doesn't have to be concerned about entertaining me.

I said his strategy is effective and works for him, I'm saying that I'd rather see fighters stand and strike.....I guess that's just the kickboxer in me.

I agree but he's not gonna take any risk. Its all about game planning to win anymore and its smart. Some guys use there speed to hit and run all fight while others dry hump you the whole fight.

Its why I love guys like BJ Penn and Nick Diaz because they want to fight period but its not the smart approach.

GSP will always revert back to his strength, which is wrestling. Do I blame him, not at all. Is it exciting, not the least bit.

And you're right, its fighter like BJ and Diaz that have a sick jitsu game but choose to strike instead which makes their fights exciting.

Edited by tone_dubbz

The last thing on GSP's mind is what I want to see, so he doesn't have to be concerned about entertaining me.

I said his strategy is effective and works for him, I'm saying that I'd rather see fighters stand and strike.....I guess that's just the kickboxer in me.

I think the reason he doesn't stand much with real strikers is that he doesn't have a great chin. His standing skills otherwise seem to be good and he's one of the few fighters with a jab that can alter a fight.

I think the reason he doesn't stand much with real strikers is that he doesn't have a great chin. His standing skills otherwise seem to be good and he's one of the few fighters with a jab that can alter a fight.

I don't blame him for not standing with elite strikers. He's made his fortune fighting smart and taking advantage of his strengths. And one of his weaknesses is that he doesn't have a great chin, so why risk it.

I was just stating the obvious, that GSP does not want to stand with Silva, Diaz, or Hendricks because there is a good chance that he will get caught and it will be a wrap.

That being sad, I did give GSP credit for recovering from that head kick from Condit.

Closest we will come to a superfight will be Bones vs. Cormier, whether it happens at 205 or HW.

Holy christ I forgot about Cormier. Does he have an oppoent for that last Strikeforce card? is he even still on it? Man a 205 fighter or catchweight fight vs Jones would have been much better than a Chael fight.

I think Cormier could grind out a win vs Jones, it won't be pretty though.

Holy christ I forgot about Cormier. Does he have an oppoent for that last Strikeforce card? is he even still on it? Man a 205 fighter or catchweight fight vs Jones would have been much better than a Chael fight.

I think Cormier could grind out a win vs Jones, it won't be pretty though.

He's fighting somebody named Dion Staring on that Strikeforce card, I estimate Cormier's wrestling dummy would give him a tougher fight.

Edited by StillUnknown

• 2 weeks later...

UFC on Fox 5 coming up Saturday evening...

Nate vs. Bendo

Shogun vs. Gus

BJ vs. Psycho

Swick vs. Matt Brown

Want to catch Phan vs. Siver on the undercard as well.

I think BJ Penn will TKO Rory MacDonald. I think a lot of the aura surrounding Rory is because he tossed around Nate Diaz like a ragdoll. BJ won't be so "Diaz" in there when it comes to takedown defense. If he fights off some takedowns, I think Rory's in for a rude awakening.

Shogun vs. Gus is a tough one, but I'll say either Gus wins a decision or Shogun puts his lights out.

I want to bet money on Nate Diaz. Have wanted to ever since this match was put together. I think Bendo will get boxed up on the feet and eventually subbed on the ground. If he can get out of Nate's submissions, he might as well reveal his magical powers to the world. I'll pick Nate via domination.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I got Rory easily beating BJ. Penn will show well for the first round, then get dominated in the 2nd & 3rd as he begins to suck wind.

I think Gus stops Shogun. Shogun been through too many wars and beatdowns, not sure how much more his body can withstand. He's not a hard guy to hit and Gus is a damn good striker.

I'm going Nate over Benson as well. I think Benson will use his wrestling, but will get in trouble with Nate's bjj. Even if Benson survives the sub attempts, Nate will score points. Benson's best chance is to pin Nate against the cage and strike from the clinch, he would smother Nate's striking abilities and avoid Nate's ground game. Nate wins by decision though.

BJ at 170 has exactly 5 minutes to try and win the fight before he gasses and basically lays all over the octagon mat.

I think Nate Diaz can win the fight and am rooting for him, however after his last couple of performances I don't think many are going to want to mix it up with him and I could see Benson going the Condit vs. Nick route and just trying to score shots and evacuate the area, maybe go for a few take downs, and be happy trying to ride out a decision.

It's weird that the main card, for me in Chicago, starts at 7pm! I'm used to 10pm cards...

Thankfully I have a dinner party to go to tonight anyways so I'm DVRing it and will watch it when I get back. This card should be awesome.

Quick predictions:

Benson Henderson © vs. Nate Diaz: Oh my goodness. Ben said in the press conference that he and Nate are both aggressive fighters who like to come forward, and I think the general MMA viewer forgot about Ben's skillset because of the Edgar fights. Ben said a fighter as elusive as Edgar makes coming forward very difficult, which is obviously true. Both guys will bring it. Nate will be his usual Stockton Slapfest self and come with volume punches, and Ben will stop the takedowns and most likely kick the **** out of Nate's legs. I don't want this to go to decision, and my brain says it will. However, my heart wants Nate to win via submission. Any submission. In the end, I think the leg kicks will slow down Nate's punches and Benson will grind out a unanimous decision, with FOTN honors. I'm prepared for a bloody fight. If Nate can sub Ben, then it will also win SOTN.

Mauricio Rua vs. Alexander Gustafsson: Shogun.... the ultimate warrior. Alex will have his hands full... This is a toss up since I can see Shogun out mauling Alex but Alex is no slouch either. I'll stick with the Jon Jones theory and go with ambition over experience, and pick Gustufsson via TKO (elbows) in the 3rd.

B.J. Penn vs. Rory MacDonald: Should be the second to last fight IMO. I like both fighters a lot, and Rory against Che and Mike Pyle was an absolute machine of a fighter. He will hit BJ hard... BJ lost all hope halfway through the second round of the Diaz fight, you could see it in his eyes and his demeanor, although he was still connecting and landing major shots on Nick. Nick completely messed BJ's face up, and I think the same will happen here. There was a point where I felt like BJ though "wtf do I have to do to put this guy away... this is NOT worth it." The same thing will happen against Rory. Rory's GnP is really dangerous and accurate. Rory wins this by TKO in the 2nd.. KOTN. BJ retires for good.

Mike Swick vs. Matt Brown: I'm not all that impressed with Brown, and I want Swick to win, so Swick by UD.

Edited by styx491