Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

That is what Maynard gets for fighting going backwards. No reason for him to let off the gas pedal going into 2nd round.

Gilbert Melendez wants that title shot, however I believe he has a Strikeforce bout first.

Would love to see Nate Diaz get a shot if he can get a couple more wins in a row.

That is what Maynard gets for fighting going backwards. No reason for him to let off the gas pedal going into 2nd round.

Gilbert Melendez wants that title shot, however I believe he has a Strikeforce bout first.

Would love to see Nate Diaz get a shot if he can get a couple more wins in a row.

Why does Nate deserve a shot? The only thing he's #1 in is being a douchebag (with his brother being a close second).

EDIT: "If he can get a couple more wins in a row". Nm, I get your point.

He can't beat Edgar because he can't take him down, and Edgar will outstrike him. Probably a decision, but boring fight. No chance Frankie submits to Nate's guard.

Edited by herrmag

In boxing the expression "boxing clinic" is used when a guy might not have any power but dominates on movement while making contact at will. Edgar fights like that. After the first round Maynard was swinging at air almost the entire rest of the fight while Edgar was hitting him at will and bouncing out of the way in a flash.

Glad he was able to get the stop. From round 2 until the end he put on a straight MMA striking clinic.

1 - Attempted takedowns to keep his opponent in a defensive posture and limit aggression.

2 - Stuffed takedowns

3 - Leg kicked creatively. Inside and outside of either leg.

4 - Floated "like a butterfly"

5 - Threw creative combinations of strikes that weren't limited to punching combinations.

6 - Finished the fight.

The fact that he did that after round one makes it even more impressive.

Guida/Bendo or Melendez gets next title shot. I am glad Edgar finished the fight as it ended their trilogy decisively.

As far as Nate goes. I dunno if Frankie beats Nate standing. Frankie is like a gnat. In & out with the jab. However if someone has a reach advantage it could nullify that. Nate looked like a completely different fighters against Gomi. Nick has always been the better boxer of the two, but for the first time Nate actually looked damn solid on his feet and not the more one-dimesional "lets hope I lull this guy into a submission" type fighter. I'd agree still way too early to claim Nate could or would beat Edgar, but I think Nate is someone to keep an eye on in the next couple of years given that I think the 155lb division from top to bottom is a pretty even division where it really feels like anyone in the division could win on any given night. It isn't top heavy like 170 or 185.

Maynard had early success because he was willing to eat a jab or two in order to bring the fight inside, get inside Edgar's reach. Why he decided to stop doing that, I'm not sure, but this is Gray Maynard we're talking about.

If Nino doesn't get the next shot it will be the winner of Guida-Bendo.

The winner of Guida-Bendo should get it IMO.

Great card last night, the main even was an epic finish to that trilogy, I will never question Frankie Edgar again. Florian gonna Florian, Sonnen absolutely steamrolled Stann and we need to see him rematch Anderson Silva now. Phan/Garcia was a great fight...I had a friend over for the fights last night and he doesn't watch a lot of MMA, when Guillard/Lauzon started I guaranteed him that it would be finished in the 1st round and damn if it didn't. Both of those guys come to fight every time.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/10/11/2484304/ufc-reportedly-switching-ppv-start-times-back-to-10-p-m-et

Over at F4WOnline, Dave Meltzer is reporting that the UFC will be changing the start time of pay-per-view broadcasts back to 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT. This will be starting with UFC 141 this December.

The UFC had long used 10 p.m. ET as the start time for PPVs but changed earlier this year. For east coasters like me it was nice to have the evening wrapped up no later than midnight, many times even earlier. But it is understandable that the one hour cut was harder on audiences on the west coast and necessitated a change back.

PPV numbers are down this year so making sure that the start times have maximum appeal to as many people as possible. It's not a "sky is falling" situation, but it's one where you need to make all the corrections big and small to straighten everything out.

If Sonnen hadn't fought Silva previously with the result, I agree. But even Silva couldn't stop Sonnen's takedowns. He's a world-class wrestler, and morphed it into MMA well. Don't discredit his abilities, he's got some serious skill. Randy Couture made a living of beating better strikers and BJJ guys with his wrestling and dirty boxing (as you know, I'm not telling you anything you don't).

3 out of 6 on take down attempts is hardly impressive, and by my count he was 3 for 7. And for a guy who "dominated" Silva for four rounds, he did not do much damage in the 20+ minutes he spent on top of him. And stop me if you have heard this before, but Silva had a busted rib, and that reduced the power in his punches and prevented him from switching while on the mat. If they fight again (has anyone seen Chael's drug test from this fight?) Andy will finish him within 2 rounds and make Chael look foolish. I am prediciting a beating worse than he gave Rich Franklin the first time around.

Sonnen does has some serious ground skills, but that did not get him a win vs an injured Silva, and it won't help him much the second time around. Sonnen can't stand with Anderson and we have all seen that even when Chael is going all out with his ground game he still comes up short vs the Spider. Anderson second round TKO, if it lasts that long.

3 out of 6 on take down attempts is hardly impressive, and by my count he was 3 for 7. And for a guy who "dominated" Silva for four rounds, he did not do much damage in the 20+ minutes he spent on top of him. And stop me if you have heard this before, but Silva had a busted rib, and that reduced the power in his punches and prevented him from switching while on the mat. If they fight again (has anyone seen Chael's drug test from this fight?) Andy will finish him within 2 rounds and make Chael look foolish. I am prediciting a beating worse than he gave Rich Franklin the first time around.

Sonnen does has some serious ground skills, but that did not get him a win vs an injured Silva, and it won't help him much the second time around. Sonnen can't stand with Anderson and we have all seen that even when Chael is going all out with his ground game he still comes up short vs the Spider. Anderson second round TKO, if it lasts that long.

I don't know anyone who doesn't consider that a dominant fight for Sonnen leading into round 5. That's why people are talking about it so much, because most fans have never seen Silva lose a fight, much less get beat down for four straight rounds like that. You can argue that Silva was injured (which his camp claims after almost all of his fights) or that Sonnen was juicing (which he probably was) but I don't see how you can refute the dominance of Sonnen's performance before the sub.

Both Compustrike and Fightmetric have the fight completely lopsided for Sonnen before the finish:

http://www.compustrike.com/stats_files/ufc_117/Silva-Sonnen.HTM

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/08/silva-vs-sonnen-fightmetric-report.html

And the reason he only scored three takedowns is because he stayed on top of Silva and smothered him with gnp after every takedown and that's why he was up on the judges scorecards leading into the final round.

Don't get me wrong, I think Anderson Silva is probably going to KO him in the rematch, but it's not going to be as easy as some people think. Sonnen is the perfect style matchup to make it a close fight: he's a large southpaw with good boxing, incredible cardio and amazing takedowns & top control. Pretty much everything possible to give Silva fits.

Did anyone watch TUF last night? The guy from Sterling, VA on Mayhem's team Dustin Pague beat the #1 pick on Bisping's team. I was real impressed with his clinch knees which he dominated with so we didn't get to see a lot of his ground game but he finished it on the ground after dropping him. I'm definitely rooting for him to win the show he looks promising.

knees.gif

5.gif