Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

Apparently UFC 136 bombed on PPV.

2 title fights + Sonnen was only good enough to get around 250k buys.

UFC is getting too hard to follow for average fans. It's too "busy" right now and it's hard to keep track of what is going on and where. Fights on Spike, Versus, Fox, and PPV. Multiple events in a month. Ultimate Fighter going on at the same time. Fighters that are unknown to UFC fans popping up randomly without fans being easily informed of who they are.

When I talk UFC with guys I know that will watch it they get confused 5 minutes into the conversation. Things change too quickly for people that don't track it.

15_12-40-2.jpg

Russian freestyle wrestler Khadjimourat Gatsalov has posted on Facebook claiming to have been signed by the UFC and will be fighting at 185lbs.

The 29 year old has a laundry list of accomplishments. He is an Olympic Gold Medalist, a four time world champion, a two time world cup winner and in 2003 was pronounced the greatest wrestler in Europe.

He also competes in Sambo and is a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt. He competed against Strikeforce heavyweight Daniel Cormier at the 2004 Olympics. Gatsalov dominated Cormier winning the match 5-0.

The match can be seen below:

http://www.mmamania.com/2011/10/21/2505376/khadjimourat-gatsalov-to-join-ufc-roster

edit: lol I didn't read the comments at first.

Straight from the #UFC: they HAVE NOT - I say again, NOT - signed Khadjimourat Gatsalov. Reports suggesting they have are inaccurate.
http://twitter.com/#!/SBNLukeThomas/statuses/127483206831325184

:doh: that's what i get for posting news from a random blog site.

Edited by Patrick86L

UFC 136 Judo Chop: Uppercuts in Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard 3

At UFC 136, we saw Frankie Edgar wrap up his trilogy with Gray Maynard with an emphatic exclamation point, knocking the undefeated Maynard out in the 4th round in order to gain a degree of closure and retain his UFC Lightweight title. But it wasn't an easy night for Edgar, who very nearly saw his title slip away during a Maynard onslaught in the opening round. Both men were able to land serious blows on their opponents, using combinations of punches to great effect. And for both men, the punch that really started it all was the same.

The uppercut.

Along with the hook, cross, and jab, the uppercut is one of the punches that forms the foundation of a fighter's boxing skills. At UFC 136, Edgar and Maynard both utilized this punch with great success, but they did so in different ways. In this Judo Chop, we'll break down the mechanics of the uppercut and see what these two Lightweights did in common, and where their techniques differed.

Before getting to the fight, let's look at the basics of an uppercut. Here's the description, courtesy of Fight Night: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Mixed Martial Arts:

The uppercut is a close-range boxing-based punch that travels in an oblique (vertically upward) trajectory. It can be delivered with either hand with the primary targets being the chin and solar plexus. The uppercut is a potent punch to use when applying the dirty boxing clinch or in conjunction with hooks... The rear uppercut to the head is the most prevalently used version of the punch in MMA.

There is a lot to like about the uppercut. It can be a devastating punch, with great knockout potential, as Junior dos Santos proved in his UFC debut against Fabricio Werdum. There are a few reasons for this. First, the momentum of the fist coming up with the weight of the body behind it gives a lot of power behind the blow. Second, defenses are more geared towards blocking punches down the middle or from the side. By coming up from below, the uppercut can break through those defenses. Third, if it doesn't get the KO, the uppercut can set up a devastating hook, as an uppercut forces the victim to lift his chin and potentially expose his head.

Let's see how these techniques are delivered by Edgar and Maynard in their UFC 136 title clash.

Full breakdown with gifs in the complete article.

UFC is getting too hard to follow for average fans. It's too "busy" right now and it's hard to keep track of what is going on and where. Fights on Spike, Versus, Fox, and PPV. Multiple events in a month. Ultimate Fighter going on at the same time. Fighters that are unknown to UFC fans popping up randomly without fans being easily informed of who they are.

When I talk UFC with guys I know that will watch it they get confused 5 minutes into the conversation. Things change too quickly for people that don't track it.

I know that's right! I just started watching UFC and I can't keep up with who is champ and when, so basically I just watch to see the guys fight one another, interestingly enough my wife likes it too, and the whole time she laughs, "I can't believe I'm watching this." :ols: Since we don't do $50 ppv's we see it on cable which I'm pretty sure is a collection of fights that originally aired on a ppv fight at one time or another, but it's still pretty cool none-the-less.

As for my novice take on things I am amazed at the heavy weights, but I think the best fights are some of the feather weights who take a beating and keep on going. One guy I saw caught an elbow to the head and a HUGE hemotoma swelled up on his forehead about the size of a peach! By the end of the five round fight he had a massive bulge on his head and he was bleeding from around the eyes in several places, but when the final bell rang he had the other guy on his back and was ruthlessly pounding away at the dude's head all while bleeding all over him...needless to say that made an impression.

The fight you saw is Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick, and you're right Hominick showed a ton of heart in the 5th round. Aldo is still the UFC Featherweight champion today. This is him knocking someone out with a double flying knee 8 seconds in to the fight:

8-c95vfae0I

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I know that's right! I just started watching UFC and I can't keep up with who is champ and when, so basically I just watch to see the guys fight one another, interestingly enough my wife likes it too, and the whole time she laughs, "I can't believe I'm watching this." :ols: Since we don't do $50 ppv's we see it on cable which I'm pretty sure is a collection of fights that originally aired on a ppv fight at one time or another, but it's still pretty cool none-the-less.

I know what you mean man. It definitely can be a lot to keep up with, especially since there are more and more cards every year.

You've probably already seen the ads for it during Skins games but on November 12th (the night before we play the Dolphins) the HW title is on the line and it's free on Fox. Chances are, this fight is going to be full of fireworks and they'll prob show a good LW match too assuming they have enough time to air it. The LW fight will probably determine the next title contender and it should be full of action too, both of the guys are talented and known for their high-paced fights. Be sure to catch it if you get a chance!

*Edit:

Here's a good promo for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGODo9uBnvI&feature=related

Edited by #98QBKiller

The fight you saw is Jose Aldo vs. Mark Hominick, and you're right Hominick showed a ton of heart in the 5th round. Aldo is still the UFC Featherweight champion today. This is him knocking someone out with a double flying knee 8 seconds in to the fight:

You're right here is Hominick at the end of that fight. I couldn't believe how with all the abuse he had taken just how much he came fighting back, and to have Aldo on his back at the end of that fight....wow talk about determination. I think the thing that impresses me the most is the killer instinct they show when their opponent goes down they pounce like dog on a wounded cat.

mark-hominick-face-after-fight.jpg

As for my novice take on things I am amazed at the heavy weights, but I think the best fights are some of the feather weights who take a beating and keep on going. One guy I saw caught an elbow to the head and a HUGE hemotoma swelled up on his forehead about the size of a peach! By the end of the five round fight he had a massive bulge on his head and he was bleeding from around the eyes in several places, but when the final bell rang he had the other guy on his back and was ruthlessly pounding away at the dude's head all while bleeding all over him...needless to say that made an impression.

If you want to see Hemotoma boy again, his next fight is Dec 10 at 140 in Toronto again. He is a local boy so the crowd will be behind him just like there where in that fight you saw.