Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

who was at the fights tonight? I had a great time sitting near the huge posse of Charlie Brennenman fans. When rumble won a bunch of them left and I saw a couple of the girls crying, it was hilarious. I was cheering as loud as I could for johnson.

I was there too, I saw all of the Brenneman fans, man it was ridiculous how many people were in his blue shirts...his fans travel well!! I was pulling for Rumble too.

I agree with others that Mighty Mouse will benefit from going to 125. He's not a natural 135er and Cruz's size and strength was just too much for him. Cruz was visibly tired in the 4th and 5th but size ultimately made the difference.

BTW, my prediction is that Brian Bowles will be the BW champ in the UFC this time next year. He would've beaten Cruz if it weren't for his hand, and obviously I think he'll steamroll Faber.

I got there late but I hated to see Fernando get booed because I've been training at his academy for about a year and a half now. But either way the UFC does a good job of getting local talent involved.

For instance, they had Fernando and Mario ref a few fights, they had a couple of Lloyd Irvin guys fight, etc. The UFC is good ****, I just hope they decide to come back to the Verizon Center because I had an awesome time!!

BTW, my prediction is that Brian Bowles will be the BW champ in the UFC this time next year. He would've beaten Cruz if it weren't for his hand, and obviously I think he'll steamroll Faber.

I think Cruz would've beaten him with or without Bowles breaking his hand. The only way to get to Cruz is to be on the same level in terms of speed. Mighty Mouse showed you can disrupt his timing, but he wasn't strong enough to put in any clinch work.

Cruz does alot of things you would never teach somebody wanting to learn standup in terms of footwork, but it works perfectly for his style. Maybe Bowles can catch him with his hands down, but I don't think Bowles is anywhere near fast enough to stop Cruz from doing what he usually does. I'm not even certain Bowles makes it past Faber for that same reason.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

http://mmaweekly.com/strikeforce-champ-gilbert-melendez-ufc-bound-asap

If there was any doubt that Strikeforce is in the depths of a vicious downward spiral, UFC president Dana White put any doubts to rest following UFC on Versus 6 on Saturday night in Washington, D.C.

White told MMAWeekly.com that the UFC is working on a deal with current Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez to bring the No. 1 155-pound fighter in the world to the Octagon.

While the deal isn’t inked yet, he was emphatic in saying that Melendez is headed to the UFC.

“We do want to bring Gilbert Melendez over and we’re looking at it right now,” said White.

Melendez had been expected to defend his Strikeforce belt against Jorge Masvidal at a possible December event, but that would be off the table once a deal is struck with the UFC.

Despite holding the belt in that organization, which the UFC’s parent company also owns, it is not a certainty that Melendez would get an immediate shot at UFC gold.

“It’s a possibility,” stated White. “The thing is, that division is so stacked. And usually timing has a lot to do with (who gets the next shot).”

But as certain as Strikeforce’s days a major MMA player are numbered, so is Melendez’s time there, according to White.

“We’re going to bring Melendez over ASAP. We’re looking to bring him over now.”

---------- Post added October-2nd-2011 at 11:58 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YZD_U6QRzJQ

Mighty Mouse was at least 2x faster than Cruz IMO but couldn't stop him...Bowles doesn't have that kind of speed but I think he matches up favorably with his heavy hands and solid ground game. Cruz can't take him down at will like he did to MM and even if he does get him down I think Bowles can submit from his back. Bowles has KO power in both hands and if his cardio is good I think he can KO Cruz in one of the championship rounds. I thought Cruz got sloppy last night in rounds 4 & 5 and if MM had more power in his hands or better reach I think he would've had a good shot at knocking out Cruz. I guess Bowles does need to get past Faber first and I think he can get past Faber easily to get to Cruz, we'll see what happens but IMO, he's the best prospect at BW right now to beat Cruz.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2011 at 12:29 PM ----------

and :ols::ols::ols: @ Jim Ross

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Jones-Evans-Title-Headliner-Targeted-for-UFC-140-in-Toronto-36203

Former teammates Jon Jones and Rashad Evans will finally collide at UFC 140.

Jones will put his UFC light heavyweight title on the line Dec. 10 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, Sherdog.com confirmed Wednesday with a source close to the situation. The matchup was first reported by MMAFighting.com.

Jones and Evans were originally slated to meet at August’s UFC 133, but the champion was forced out of the bout with a thumb injury.

UFC 140 is also expected to feature a heavyweight rematch between Frank Mir and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, a 205-pound scrap between Tito Ortiz and Antonio Rogerio Nogueira and a featherweight tilt between Mark Hominick and “Korean Zombie” Chan Sung Jung. The event’s main card will air live on pay-per-view.

Only 24 years old, Jones has dominated in the UFC’s light heavyweight division since his 2008 debut. A winner of five straight contests, Jones captured the promotion’s 205-pound title in March, dispatching then-champion Mauricio Rua in the third round. Following his recovery from a nagging thumb injury, “Bones” defended his title for the first time Sept. 24, applying a fourth-round rear-naked choke to turn away another former champion, Quinton Jackson.

Evans got his start with the UFC by winning the second season of “The Ultimate Fighter” as a heavyweight. Returning to 205 pounds for his official Octagon debut, Evans put together a record of 7-0-1 before knocking out Forrest Griffin to win the title in 2008. Though the 32-year-old would lose the belt in his first title defense against Lyoto Machida, Evans has bounced back with three consecutive wins, outpointing Thiago Silva and Jackson before knocking out Ortiz on Aug. 6.

---------- Post added October-5th-2011 at 05:34 PM ----------

@danawhite

Dana White

Don't listen to these HACK **** websites!! Jones vs Evans is not true.

@danawhite

Dana White

Alright Toronto!!! Dec 10th UFC 140 tix go on sale next weekend and ur main event is Bones Jones vs Machida!!!

Apparently Rashad's hand is still messed up and he still can't train for another 3 weeks. If Bones beats Machida, that would be one of the more impressive years in recent MMA history, with him going through Bader, Shogun, Rampage, & Machida.

Edited by StillUnknown

Nice this is the fight I really wanted to see Jones take. They both have such unorthodox styles that it should be interesting, although Bones does have a significant size/reach advantage on Shogun.

I'm hoping that the winner of Shogun/Hendo takes on the winner of this one.

well the Jones Rampage tease sucked, because after Dana said no, I figured Jones next fight would be with Rashad in early 2012, but now that Machida is in, I like it, but I also don't like seeing Rashad have to sit and miss his turn, but such is life in the UFC.

This card went from good to great with that announcement. I'll be getting my tickets ASAP.

Nice this is the fight I really wanted to see Jones take. They both have such unorthodox styles that it should be interesting, although Bones does have a significant size/reach advantage on Shogun.

I'm hoping that the winner of Shogun/Hendo takes on the winner of this one.

I love this matchup too, although I don't wanna see Machida/Shogun again. If Machida wins, I expect a rematch with Jones. If Jones wins, then I completely agree that the winner of Shogun/Hendo gets the shot (unless Rashad heals up and the timing works out). Otherwise, Jones/Machida 2 and winner of Shogun/Hendo vs Rashad as the next eliminator.

I am very disappointed that the UFC pulled the Jim Ross video from Youtube. I figured it was going to happen at some point though.

I can't wait for tomorrow night's card. Those of you with Directv, the weigh-ins will be live on the Audience network at 5 EST. I don't know if they have always done this, but I just noticed it for the Jones-Rampage fight. I like it.

I am very disappointed that the UFC pulled the Jim Ross video from Youtube. I figured it was going to happen at some point though.

I can't wait for tomorrow night's card. Those of you with Directv, the weigh-ins will be live on the Audience network at 5 EST. I don't know if they have always done this, but I just noticed it for the Jones-Rampage fight. I like it.

I'm extremely excited for this card. There is a ton of great MMA through the rest of the year, after this we get 137, then a mediocre card then Cain/JDS, then 139 which is a great card, then 140 & 141 to end the year, both of which should be awesome. This might be the best three months of MMA in years.

Saw this photo on another site and it was too funny not to post here. Brian Stann by self inflicted triangle choke.

:ols:

I wasn't able to attend UFC on Versus 6 for family reasons but everything is okay and that's what matters. Sold my tickets to friends, and I WILL be attending a UFC event in the near future - Gosh darnit.

Saw the fights and they were good. Barry trying to "Aronabomb" Struve (he forgot to use the headbutt technique). Anthony Johnson with an amazing sprawl and brawl, never seen a fighter have his face dragging on the mat as much as Charlie Brennamen's was. Cruz wasn't his normal footwork-aholic self with Johnson actually being faster than he is. Unreal to see him taking deep breaths and walking flatfooted in the second round. Johnson looked really good for giving up so much in strength and reach, he's gotta be the first guy you think of that might be dropping down for that brand new 125 lb title.

Can't wait for the fights tomorrow, I'll have my picks up soon.

PP5eAaZZ4Ko

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

This highlight vid is crazy, the guy seriously has amazing strength. His takedowns look better than a lot of guys with good wrestling credentials in the UFC. Obviously the guy is jacked, but what impresses me the most is his dexterity. Some of his takedowns look like picturesque football tackles. He's a genius on the ground, he's built like a freight train, and he turns in to an absolute nutcase in competition. No thank you, I'll roll with the next guy.

EZL19aN55mI

i23842_88kgRd.2RousimarPalharesvsAvellan4.gif

i23872_88kgRd.1RousiimarPalharesDanSchon1.gif

2lktzma.gif

UFC 136: Ain't Gonna Be No Rematch!

Demian Maia vs. Jorge Santiago: Santiago may have the weakest chin in MMA, but I'm not certain Maia has what it takes to exploit it. If Santiago can use his athleticism to keep the fight standing he should find success. I think it hits the ground at different points and Maia does enough to work to grind out a decision.

Maia by Unanimous Decision

Anthony Pettis vs. Jeremy Stephens: Should be an entertaining fight. I like Pettis in all areas of this fight, although Stephens has the power to KO him should he get sloppy on the feet. I see Pettis being too dynamic with his striking arsenal and keeping Stephens off guard enough to win a comfortable decision.

Pettis by Unanimous Decision

Melvin Guillard vs. Joe Lauzon: Lauzon tends to lose when he takes a step up in competition. Melvin is a horrible style matchup for Lauzon as he'll be able to use his wrestling to keep the fight standing and punish Lauzon with strikes. If Lauzon can somehow get this to the ground, I can see him slapping a quick a sub, but this one probably doesn't hit the ground until Guillard knocks him there.

Guillard by (T)KO, Round 1

Nam Phan vs. Leonard Garcia: I just hope Nam finishes him before the judges can screw him.

Phan by (T)KO, Round 2

Brian Stann vs. Chael Sonnen: Stann will have 3 chances at the beginning of each round to end the fight before Chael grounds him. Stann's ground game has improved, but I don't see him pulling a sub.

Sonnen by Unanimous Decision

Jose Aldo vs. Kenny Florian: Not seeing many avenues for Florian to win this fight. Aldo's a better striker, and Florian doesn't have the wrestling chops to go that route over 5 rounds. I expect Florian to try and fight Aldo similar to how he fought Penn and try to pin him against the cage and work for takedowns from the clinch, but I'm not sure he'll be able to catch Aldo to pin him. Aldo's speed will be the big difference allowing him to get in and out and pick Florian apart on the feet, leading to a mid round stoppage.

Aldo by (T)KO, Round 3

Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard: I think this one is pretty simple. If Edgar avoids Maynard's power, he wins a decision. Edgar's striking, while not damaging at all, scores points and works well for him. He showed in the 2nd fight, he could stop Maynard from taking him down. Unless Maynard can score takedowns like he did in the first fight, I don't like his chances at winning a decision because he won't be as active as Edgar standing up. He needs to hurt Edgar, and finish him off this time. I see Edgar tightening his defense for this fight, stuffing takedowns & maybe landing a couple of his own, and being busy enough on the feet to win rounds.

Edgar by Unanimous Decision

Pettis by domination (dec.)

Maia by TKO rd 2

Lauzon by armbar rd 1

Garcia by Jedi mind trick

Sonnen decision

Aldo TKO in 4

Mothafreakin' Frankie Edga via decision. First fight Gray was better, second fight Frankie caught up to him, but ran in to a few punches in the 1st round. Now I believe with improvements in the gym he'll just be that much tougher for Gray to catch with a big shot. He establishes himself as one of the great Lightweights ever tonight.