Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

IIRC, I think the "Deal" was that Hart would retain the title at Survivor Series, and drop it the following night, because he didn't want to lose in Canada (which was selfish as hell).

As a 9 year old kid, not fully aware of everything, and seeing Bret Hart at Raw one week, and the next, he's completely gone, I sided with him. But as I got older, and began to understand how things work in the business world, I realized that he pretty much put Vince in a no win situation.

Vince paid him that ridiculous contract the year prior in order to keep him away from WCW the first time, while WWE was getting hammered in the ratings department. Then Hart thinks he''s going to go out on his terms and get what he likes, when both companies are at war with each other.

Doesn't work like that. When it's time to drop the belt, you drop the belt. And don't live your role, thinking it's your birthright to hold the strap. Thats something the Rock always used to say when I read his autobiography back in the day.

Montreal was interesting.

1) I don't blame Bret for not wanting to drop the title in Canada.

2) I don't blame Vince for wanting him to drop the title.

The situation was all sorts of screwed up. McMahon signed Bret to a HUGE deal, but then told him he couldn't afford it and had to cut the deal down. Bret was offered more money from WCW, and Bret was getting screwed on his contract in WWF.

Do I blame Vince for telling Bret he couldn't afford it? No. Do I blame Vince for signing him to such a huge contract to begin with? Yes and no. Probably shouldn't have given him that kind of money, but he thought he had it so he did it. Do I blame Bret for being pissed about the money? No.

It's such an odd situation. Bret didn't want to lose in Canada. Vince didn't want Bischoff to tell the world he signed the WWF champion (WCW did its best to bury Hart, by the way. They totally misused the Hitman). So what do you do?

A) Bret should have agreed to lose the title. Mistake 1.

B) Vince should have told Bret that he HAD to drop the title, or the match would be pulled and he'd have a match to crown a new WWF champion, or some other solution. Mistake 2.

C) Both parties screwed up.

D) Neither party is a "bad person" or the lone culprit. There's a lot of blame to go around.

E) I think Bret realized that eventually, as he and Michaels and Vince seem to get along now.

F) Michaels feigning surprise didn't help the whole thing. The lying was amplified because of the plan to make Bret think Michaels wasn't a part of it.

G) That incident led to the Attitude Era, right, wrong or indifferent. It broke kayfabe. It brought Mr. McMahon to the center and made him the ultimate heel. WCW flubbing Hart helped, too. They really dropped the ball with him. That incident, for as stupid as it was, changed wrestling.

• Like 1

He said he was in Montreal, asked Vince if there was a finish, Vince said "yes," and Cornette left the building halfway through the match because he didn't want to be around for the fireworks.

Just watched that shoot interview last week.  Apparently he stuck around by the back entrance waiting to see what the finish was (curiosity), but as soon as it happened, he decided he wasn't going to stick around for the aftermath and bolted.

Jim Cornette is funny as hell.  I may not agree with everything in his interviews, but that man can spin words.  My favorite so far was him ripping on the "Brawl for All" and referring to Butterbean as a 375 pound human waterbed.

Jim Cornette is funny as hell.  I may not agree with everything in his interviews, but that man can spin words.  My favorite so far was him ripping on the "Brawl for All" and referring to Butterbean as a 375 pound human waterbed.

I stumbled upon that Gunn-Butterbean fight on Youtube recently. That may have been the most ridiculous thing the WWE has ever done. We accidently built up this going-nowhere lower midcarder into a legit toughman. There is always a place for a legit toughman in wrestling. What should we do with him? I know....let's put him in the ring with a professional boxer and have him get annihilated in ten seconds, thereby destroying his credibility as a legit toughman and making pointless the tournament that already ruined Steve Williams and injured several other wrestlers.

I stumbled upon that Gunn-Butterbean fight on Youtube recently. That may have been the most ridiculous thing the WWE has ever done. We accidently built up this going-nowhere lower midcarder into a legit toughman. There is always a place for a legit toughman in wrestling. What should we do with him? I know....let's put him in the ring with a professional boxer and have him get annihilated in ten seconds, thereby destroying his credibility as a legit toughman and making pointless the tournament that already ruined Steve Williams and injured several other wrestlers.

Interesting that you bring this up. JBL has stated that the WWE put Gunn in the ring against Butterbean as "punishment" for beating Dr Death Steve Williams.

Interesting that you bring this up. JBL has stated that the WWE put Gunn in the ring against Butterbean as "punishment" for beating Dr Death Steve Williams.

Part of me buys that. Another part of me wonder if anyone in WWE - aside from Jim Ross - was that high on Williams in the first place. A lot of people like to talk about an Austin-Williams dream match (which, I agree, would have been a good match) and pretend that Williams had any relevance in US wrestling after 1991 or so. Williams had never been an upper-carder in the US except in promotions where Bill Watts was in charge.

Part of me buys that. Another part of me wonder if anyone in WWE - aside from Jim Ross - was that high on Williams in the first place. A lot of people like to talk about an Austin-Williams dream match (which, I agree, would have been a good match) and pretend that Williams had any relevance in US wrestling after 1991 or so. Williams had never been an upper-carder in the US except in promotions where Bill Watts was in charge.

According to JBL, the issue was that Gunn was a nobody and no one knew he was THAT good at fighting. Williams, on the other hand was an established wrestler was considered a legit tough guy.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, there's word going around the Internet & especially twitter that Viscera/Mable died of a Heart Attack earlier today.  He was only 43.  No official word yet, but there are a lot of wrestling insiders & people in the know who have confirmed it's true.

R.I.P.

Just saw on the Yahoo News wire that Jake the Snake has cancer.  Apparently they're going to do immediate surgery.  Feel bad for the guy and I hope he makes it through, though in all honesty, I'm surprised he's still alive.

Its a shame that we pretty much say that about every wrestler nowadays

Backlash 99

I was going to watch that next too lol. I had to watch Invasion first though. Just watched the referee fight. I swear that got a louder pop then some of the main event matches at the recent PPVs.

Speaking of recent PPVs, the WWE can't have Orton and Batista headline WrestleMania. Don't get me wrong, people are still going to watch, but you can't have that as your main event.

Just saw on the Yahoo News wire that Jake the Snake has cancer.  Apparently they're going to do immediate surgery.  Feel bad for the guy and I hope he makes it through, though in all honesty, I'm surprised he's still alive.

He was getting inducted to the WWE HOF this year too. I guess he won't be able to make the ceremony now.