Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

DM72, no, I have no clue who who Hulk Hogan is :doh:

I wasn't really even referring to Hogan because he hit it big in a different era, and besides the nWo storyline leading up to Wrestlemania x8, and the ensuing dream match with The Rock, he was useless, just a beat up, broken down shell of his former shelf, getting a huge push for the Undisputed Title just because of his namesake. He should've retired right after Wrestlemania.

But anyway, BRAVE was right. It's pretty much known that Hart, HBK and HHH wasn't huge money draws.

Known how? Please explain, maybe there's something I'm missing. Again, maybe they couldn't tear the roof off every building they entered to this day, like Hogan, Rock, or Austin, but no one else can even dream of coming close to that. Maybe people grew tired of it during the mid '00s, but there is no doubt that in the early to mid 90's people wanted to see HBK, and people wanted to see Bret Hart.

To be honest, its kinda HHH's fault

He kept using his stroke to bury everbody so no real top face could be established

He buried Kane ( completely ruined his character), Scott Steiner, Booker T ( can't watch WM 19 because of it), Goldberg, Randy Orton, and completely killed all of RVD's hype

Let it be known, I'm still a huge HHH fan

I disagree as far as Orton goes. Evolution basically established Orton's career, both during and after the 'betrayal,' and it was all thanks to Triple H. Same goes for Batista.

I think Orton should have kept the title for more than month

If I'm not mistaken, after Orton beat Benoit at SS, triple H won it back at Unforgiven

So my point is, Triple H kinda stunted Orton's growth by a couple of years

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 04:27 PM ----------

DM72, no, I have no clue who who Hulk Hogan is :doh:

I wasn't really even referring to Hogan because he hit it big in a different era, and besides the nWo storyline leading up to Wrestlemania x8, and the ensuing dream match with The Rock, he was useless, just a beat up, broken down shell of his former shelf, getting a huge push for the Undisputed Title just because of his namesake. He should've retired right after Wrestlemania.

Known how? Please explain, maybe there's something I'm missing. Again, maybe they couldn't tear the roof off every building they entered to this day, like Hogan, Rock, or Austin, but no one else can even dream of coming close to that. Maybe people grew tired of it during the mid '00s, but there is no doubt that in the early to mid 90's people wanted to see HBK, and people wanted to see Bret Hart.

To me, a big draw is someone who brings in ratings and sells tickets

Hart, HBK, and HHH were unable to do any of that. Look up the numbers

Wrestling fans love them but none of them are known outside of that

Big Draws like Rock, Austin, Hogan, etc are known throughout all media

I'm not knocking them (in fact Bret, Shawn, and HHH are in my top ten all time), I'm just questioning their drawing ability

---------- Post added April-5th-2011 at 04:30 PM ----------

In fact, I know plenty of ppl who started watching again cuz Rock came back. His return was covered in mainstream publications.

But as far as Hart goes, there are plenty of ppl who didn't even know he wrestled last year.

The "Nature Boy" Ric Flair has always been a huge draw as well. I remember him from his Mid Atlantic Championship wrestleing days with the NWA. He always filled out the arena in my hometown. I remember one time in particular he couldn't appear at the event to defend his NWA World Heavyweight championship. The crowd was furious. They gave us the option of getting our money back or seeing another made up match. Most of us got our money back.

The "Nature Boy" Ric Flair has always been a huge draw as well. I remember him from his Mid Atlantic Championship wrestleing days with the NWA. He always filled out the arena in my hometown. I remember one time in particular he couldn't appear at the event to defend his NWA World Heavyweight championship. The crowd was furious. They gave us the option of getting our money back or seeing another made up match. Most of us got our money back.

Flair was/is the best heel in the history of modern pro wrestling.

Heels like CM Sucks/Vicky Guerrero only wish they had 1/100th of what Flair has/had.

To be the man, you gotta beat the man. Wooooo!

Edited by The Evil Genius

I'm not sure just good a draw Flair was. I think it had more to do with just how good the NWA was across the board than just Flair. You can probably make the case Rhodes, The Rock and Roll Express and The Road Warriors were just as big as draws for the NWA as Flair was.

Forehead, I am glad that I wasn't the only one who enjoyed the front row. Did you see my man switch from the Atlanta Hawks throwback to the Cavs throwback with the 23 crossed out. Brilliant! :ols:

Snooki, I'd hit it. On top of that, can't nobody say that they weren't shocked when she hit those flips.

I am very interested to see how they are going to use Cena in the next fifty two weeks.

The Miz is the future. I laughed a little bit when typed that thinking about when he was on the Real World.

I'd just like to re-iterate, I never said Triple H wasn't a legit main event guy or anything. He definitely has been.

But despite interjecting himself into usually the top story lines and having more World Championship reigns than anyone in WWE history, he hasn't been a guy to really carry the company to mega success on his back. Part of that is because he had to compete, for the most part, with Stone Cold and The Rock, and there was no competition there. But the other part is that something about Triple H just didn't appeal to the widest masses without him seemingly forcing the issue.

Guys like Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, and Kurt Angle became huge because the audiences demanded it. There really was no holding them back (despite Triple H's own efforts backstage, namely with Chris Jericho). It's not just about comparing Triple H to obvious megastars like The Rock or Steve Austin, you can also look at how Y2J or Kurt Angle blew up and the magnetism those guys had to draw in the crowds through both their wrestling and their promos. Triple H carefully associated himself with Shawn Michaels, a faction like DX, and then the McMahons (and as a result, automatic feuds with guys like Stone Cold, The Rock, The Undertaker, etc.).

I still consider Triple H one of the top 3 or 4 overall biggest superstars of the last decade (lame thing to admit: one of my first AOL IM screennames back in 5th grade was TheGame), but it's not hard to make a case that looking back, he just didn't achieve that superstar status the same natural way these other guys did. It was more of careful politicking and positioning himself to get the opportunities as he was climbing up the ladder. The end result was still him turning out to be a very respectable draw, but I don't think that the career of Triple H was born and developed the same way as most of the other big names of his era. And I think it's reflected in the way fans usually seem to react towards him: it's more out of respect for his general longevity than real excitement to see his next move.

I do think that if he hadn't torn his quad up the first time, back in 2001 in that tag team match (which is also easily one of my favorite matches of all time), he might have ended up as a bigger star. He took a really long time coming back from that, missed basically the entire WCW/ECW Invasion angle, and when he came back, he was more of a bodybuilder and was slower in the ring, and he never quite got back to that same athletic level that he had before that injury.

I do think that if he hadn't torn his quad up the first time, back in 2001 in that tag team match (which is also easily one of my favorite matches of all time), he might have ended up as a bigger star. He took a really long time coming back from that, missed basically the entire WCW/ECW Invasion angle, and when he came back, he was more of a bodybuilder and was slower in the ring, and he never quite got back to that same athletic level that he had before that injury.

Every time someone mentions that or I think about it, I just smh. That was probably the best time I had watching wrestling, think it would had been better if HHH was in it. Maybe he and Stephanie would have brought ECW, him and Kurt Angle probably would have went at it a couple of more times.

The thing I loved the most about that Invasion was The Rock/ Chris Jericho feud. Even though they were on the same team, they still managed to go at each other.

Snooki, I'd hit it. On top of that, can't nobody say that they weren't shocked when she hit those flips.
The flips? Impressive. But not even I would hit it :puke:

And that's saying something! :ols:

Looks like Goodell is running the WWE now that he has some free time on his hands.

Superstars Fined for Chair Shot

Pursuant to WWE's Concussion policy, the stunt of using a folded metal chair shot to the head is prohibited. Triple H and The Undertaker have both been fined for violating this policy at WrestleMania XXVII. WWE penalizes through fine and/or suspension for violation of this policy, which is unchanged and still in effect.