Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I was involved in the heated debate yesterday over the ETHICS of eating lunch. Some people say they pack they lunch every day and some people like me go out to eat for lunch nearly every day. Cafeterias within walking distance, drive to somewhere like Chipotle or something. So which side of this debate do you align yourself with? 

I'm not spending time at home cooking food to bring to work. I'm eating out every day if I'm not at home, barring occasional exceptions. 

Just now, ixcuincle said:

I was involved in the heated debate yesterday over the ETHICS of eating lunch. Some people say they pack they lunch every day and some people like me go out to eat for lunch nearly every day. Cafeterias within walking distance, drive to somewhere like Chipotle or something. So which side of this debate do you align yourself with? 

I'm not spending time at home cooking food to bring to work. I'm eating out every day if I'm not at home, barring occasional exceptions. 

I bring my lunch every day.  My wife often meal preps on weekends so we have prepackaged cooked meals for lunch.

I do go out maybe once a week, though. But I work smack downtown so there's 50 restaurants within 6 blocks of the job, never have to drive.  

5 minutes ago, youngchew said:

I bring my lunch every day.  My wife often meal preps on weekends so we have prepackaged cooked meals for lunch.

I do go out maybe once a week, though. But I work smack downtown so there's 50 restaurants within 6 blocks of the job, never have to drive.  

If I worked in the city with restaurants all around I'd eat there. Again don't feel like cooking mass meals and taking leftovers to work ?

I take my lunch Monday through Thursday.  I try to get out of the office on Friday and eat somewhere.  I cook for 2 people, eat one plate and put the rest for lunch the next day in a small Pryex dish.

1.  If I ate out everyday, you figure it costs at least $8-$10 bucks.  That's over $50 a week, over $200 a month.  I can buy a months worth of groceries for $200.

2.  If I ate out everyday, I'd be wearing size 42 waist pants.

3.  I'd be on insulin because of my blood sugar.

I go out to eat on Fridays as a treat and I eat at a restaurant on Tuesday evenings (non fast food) when I go to my divorce support group meeting.

It's not that time consuming or difficult to cook and then put the leftovers in covered dish.

No wonder we're the FATTEST ASSES in the world. We're too lazy. 

I couple of weeks ago, I saw a woman at the gym with her 2 young daughters and she was on the phone while exercising, ordering 3 large pizzas to be ready when they get home. Really?!!!  Go home and cook a good meal for your daughters you lazy fat ass.

Hell, even I don't eat out every meal. That's just lazy or stupid. 

Once a week breakfast out... Rest of the week...that's a home meal. 

Lunch, about the same. 

Dinner, we eat out typically twice a week. 

Exception; is a situation like Mary has who works in the food industry. She could easily eat out nearly every meal...or take food home from her establishment. 

Lately, I've been grabbin $3-$4 fit kitchens and healthy choice meals to hold me over until I get home, though sometimes I don't eat at all. 

I like knowing I have leftovers when I get home, sometimes I'm too tired to cook or get home late, so I don't like cooking every night.  I made a pot of chicken alfredo on sunday and just finished it last night, but I'd go crazy if I ate nothing but chicken alfredo for lunch and dinner for several days in a row. 

I may do something like Wawa or Subway every week or two, but no way I'm going to go to a restaurant everyday for lunch.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Lately, I've been grabbin $3-$4 fit kitchens and healthy choice meals to hold me over until I get home, though sometimes I don't eat at all. 

I like knowing I have leftovers when I get home, sometimes I'm too tired to cook or get home late, so I don't like cooking every night.  I made a pot of chicken alfredo on sunday and just finished it last night, but I'd go crazy if I ate nothing but chicken alfredo for lunch and dinner for several days in a row. 

I may do something like Wawa or Subway every week or two, but no way I'm going to go to a restaurant everyday for lunch.

WHAT about a cafeteria? 

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Who gets into heated debates over what/where they eat for lunch?  :rofl89:

I always did a little of both, would bring a salad and frozen dinner to work a lot of days, sometimes I'd go out up the road and eat at a soul food restaurant, Salsaritas, Jersey Mikes, Japanese Hibachi express, etc.  Tried to go out at least once a week to get out of the office.  Now that I work at home, I still mix it up, eat at home and go out and grab Chick-fil-A, Zaxbys, Jimmy Johns sub.  A lot of times, I grab a salad from most places and bring it home and eat that with a frozen bean and cheese burrito.

There were phases where I would eat out a ton, like almost every day for a month.  Carry-out for dinner too.  Then I'd look at the credit card bill and realize just how much money I was spending on only food (excluding grocery store purchases).  It's a lot cheaper to make it at home and take it to work.  So I try to compromise and limit going out.

And if your not going to spend time cooking food at home, why do you keep asking for cooking advice and tips?  :chair:

One of my worst habits is that I eat out pretty regularly. Sometimes all 3 meals. But i do cook at home too. 

Going for lunch sometimes Is as much a mental break from my office as it is for food. Also, with kids and family I don’t have much time to hang with friends-so I use my lunch hour to hang with work friends. 

It is a ****ing expensive habit. I bring lunch once a week. I need to flip that script.

2 hours ago, youngchew said:

where do you work?

i bring my lunch every day.   in my case it is entirely attributable to clinically diagnosed stage 5 cheap****syndrome 

There are some days I don't want to "cook," so I make a quick meal.  But it's a meal at home.  But being single, I have to do everything.  I know some people say, "I don't have the time," but you have to make time.  I leave the house for work at 6:20 in the morning.  I have somewhere to go every evening (gym, divorce meeting, counseling) and I may not get home until 6:00 pm.  Most meals take less than 45 minutes to make.  Plus, I have to do the dishes and set the coffee maker up to turn on in the morning. So most of my evenings are busy, but I manage.

Believe me, there are some days that I'd like to go "grab" something for dinner.  But I don't.  Better for you in the long run.

Just now, pjfootballer said:

There are some days I don't want to "cook," so I make a quick meal.  But it's a meal at home.  But being single, I have to do everything.  I know some people say, "I don't have the time," but you have to make time.  I leave the house for work at 6:20 in the morning.  I have somewhere to go every evening (gym, divorce meeting, counseling) and I may not get home until 6:00 pm.  Most meals take less than 45 minutes to make.  Plus, I have to do the dishes and set the coffee maker up to turn on in the morning. So most of my evenings are busy, but I manage.

Believe me, there are some days that I'd like to go "grab" something for dinner.  But I don't.  Better for you in the long run.

I think he has the time but has fallen into a bad, lazy habit of eating out every meal so he is trying to justify not cooking/making meals at home with "I'm never home and don't have time".  Ix is in denial, which is ok, the first step is admitting there is a problem @ixcuincle  

On a serious note, he has been bringing up cooking, making meals at home, eating healthier a lot over the past few weeks and even a while back.  I really think he knows what needs to be done and wants to make that next leap, but is in the excuse making stage.  Hey, I've been there before.  And I'm going to give the same advice to him as I did before.  @ixcuincle brother it's time to **** or get off the pot.

Just now, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I think he has the time but has fallen into a bad, lazy habit of eating out every meal so he is trying to justify not cooking/making meals at home with "I'm never home and don't have time".  Ix is in denial, which is ok, the first step is admitting there is a problem @ixcuincle  

On a serious note, he has been bringing up cooking, making meals at home, eating healthier a lot over the past few weeks and even a while back.  I really think he knows what needs to be done and wants to make that next leap, but is in the excuse making stage.  Hey, I've been there before.  And I'm going to give the same advice to him as I did before.  @ixcuincle brother it's time to **** or get off the pot.

And I'll add that this generation has more and better technology to supposedly "help" them get through their day.  I laugh at my niece (she's 30 with 3 kids) and how "busy" she is.  They aren't any busier then when my parents where hauling us all over the place (sports, music, library) without cell phones, computers, GPS and crap.  In fact, think about the library.  They don't have to take the kids there to get books for book reports and research.  They have it on the internet. One less place for them to have to go. 

Archived