Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

So I did my orientation at the new job on Tuesday, start training today.

Their computer system is so up-to-date that checks don't get printed in the kitchen, it's on a screen.  And when everything on the order is ready, it pops up on a screen on our side.  Oh...and I worked with one of the cooks at the Mexican place (that was in the location of the Greek place that I just left) about 10 years ago...we had a friendly exchange in Spanish the other day, that was cool.

And we servers just serve.  There's no phone answering, seating, salad making, dessert making, to-go handling...nothing.  Handle your tables.  BOOM MONEY! 

I'm freaking out though...totally.  

3 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

Coworkers that have kids must miss 200% more work days than those that don't. And its always excused. 

It's one of the biggest double standards in the workplace.

Thankfully my current company is laid back and cool, but I've been at places where I'm the one that has to pick up the slack or stay til a certain later time in the day because I don't have kids.  It's like having kids is an excuse to leave work but having pets or having after work plans is unacceptable.

My dogs are better and more importanterer than anyone's kids.

40 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

It's one of the biggest double standards in the workplace.

Thankfully my current company is laid back and cool, but I've been at places where I'm the one that has to pick up the slack or stay til a certain later time in the day because I don't have kids.  It's like having kids is an excuse to leave work but having pets or having after work plans is unacceptable.

My dogs are better and more importanterer than anyone's kids.

I disagree.  Depends on where you work.  My company gives out occurrences on a rolling 3 month period.  If you don't have scheduled time off and leave early or come in late for any reason, including issues related to your child, you get 1/2 an occurrence.  Miss an entire day, 1 occurrence.  If you have more than three occurrences within a 90 day period you can be written up and depending on how many times this has happened, potentially terminated.  

Sure some people use their kids as an excuse to leave work, when there is nothing wrong with their child, those people are called assholes.  I remember one guy I worked with years ago when I was still in grocery, I swear his daughter had 3 birthdays a year he would cut out early for.  

And no, no pet/animal is more important than my daughter.

4 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I disagree.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?  I know all workplaces vary in their policies.   

But in general, I'm just talking about the crappy work environments I've been in where employer's bend over backwards for people with kids (which is totally fine) but haven't been accepting of other people and their outside-of-work priorities.  Just because someone has a sick kid doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to leave work ON TIME to go to a happy hour, hit the gym, or take my dog to the dog park.  It's for sure a double standard in a lot of workplaces. 

I'm basically saying my dogs are my kids and are my priority, with my normal smart ass tone.  Every workplace is different (obviously), but a lot of people view employees with kids differently than employees without kids.  My dogs are a major responsibility for me just as anyone's kids are a major responsibility for them.  The difference is that it's frowned upon to put children in a crate.  :ols:

8 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

some people use their kids as an excuse to leave work, when there is nothing wrong with their child, those people are called assholes

Totally agree.

Those "occurrences" you speak of makes it sound like an awfully strict work environment!

No pet/animal is more important than your daughter to you just like my pets are more important to me than anyone's kids.

Just now, CBass1724 said:

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?  I know all workplaces vary in their policies.   

But in general, I'm just talking about the crappy work environments I've been in where employer's bend over backwards for people with kids (which is totally fine) but haven't been accepting of other people and their outside-of-work priorities.  Just because someone has a sick kid doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to leave work ON TIME to go to a happy hour, hit the gym, or take my dog to the dog park.  It's for sure a double standard in a lot of workplaces. 

I'm basically saying my dogs are my kids and are my priority, with my normal smart ass tone.  Every workplace is different (obviously), but a lot of people view employees with kids differently than employees without kids.  My dogs are a major responsibility for me just as anyone's kids are a major responsibility for them.  The difference is that it's frowned upon to put children in a crate.  :ols:

Totally agree.

Those "occurrences" you speak of makes it sound like an awfully strict work environment!

No pet/animal is more important than your daughter to you just like my pets are more important to me than anyone's kids.

It is very strict.  Back in the day when I started there (14 years ago), they were a lot more lenient, especially with people having some emergency with their child, even being tardy to work, leaving early, etc.  People abused that, thus leading to a stricter policy that we now have in place.  If you are caught coming in one minute late, 1/2 an occurrence.  

As for pets vs. children, hypothetically speaking, if there was a building on fire, your pet was trapped in one room, someones child (any age) in another and you only had enough time to save one of them.  Who do you save?  Me, I'd save a strangers child over my own pet, 100% of the time.

14 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

As for pets vs. children, hypothetically speaking, if there was a building on fire, your pet was trapped in one room, someones child (any age) in another and you only had enough time to save one of them.  Who do you save?  Me, I'd save a strangers child over my own pet, 100% of the time.

I hate you. :)

That's an extreme hypothetical!  But I'll throw this out to you.  In this building fire, if your daughter was trapped in one room and her best friend was trapped in another room and you could only save one, you're saving YOUR daughter, right?

I'm not saying I'd know what I'd do with 100% certainty, but my pets mean more to me than anything else in life.

6 minutes ago, CBass1724 said:

I hate you. :)

That's an extreme hypothetical!  But I'll throw this out to you.  In this building fire, if your daughter was trapped in one room and her best friend was trapped in another room and you could only save one, you're saving YOUR daughter, right?

I'm not saying I'd know what I'd do with 100% certainty, but my pets mean more to me than anything else in life.

Absolutely saving my daughter first.  I love my pets too (well, loved - both cats have died and we haven't gotten a dog yet), but for me, human lives matter more.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

But on semi serious related note I don't think you can argue you value pet life over or equal to human life while eating meat of any kind. I salute you KB on your consistency anyways I'm sleep deprived and rambling. 

Sure you can. Dogs/cats are domesticated. I would never eat either of them.  Nor would 99.99% of us. 

I'd eat a cow, chicken, or pig any day, mainly because they are raised to be a food source. Those 3 are not pets for 99.99% of us. 

That's an obvious distinction that only the thickest of people cannot see. ;)

Archived