Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I think back in the day, by introduction to beer was a machismo thing. My best friend and I would raid the beer fridge at parties. We were dumb jocks who thought it made us stronger. "BEER MUSCLES"

I somewhat idolized the character of Stone Cold Steve Austin. By that time, I wasn't watching wrestling much, but to me that's the greatest character ever. If I ever want a laugh, I can watch a Stone Cold segment.

I remember my first Sam Adams Winter Lager. First craft beer I ever tasted. Hated it. The friend I was sitting next to at the bar got it for me. I told him he could have the rest after the first couple sips. I was all about that Bud Light though.

Fast forward to now, I've been through a phase that lasted close to 10 years where I've dove deep in to the world of craft beer. Sam Adams Winter Lager is one of my favorite session brews, and I can give you detailed decriptions of an array of different craft beers. I think I have by far the most posts in The Beer Thread.

Now I can't get enough of the ole malt liquors. Cheapest joints out there. Can't be affordin' the expensive **** right now, but I do sincerely enjoy the flavor of the malt liquors. Just a beer junkie, I like 'em all.

When I was still an alcoholic, I couldn't go a day without drinking. I'd usually have severe anxiety throughout the day at work until I got off, then I'd chug a pint of whiskey in about 90 seconds before going in the house.

Then I started drinking before work in the parking garage. If I went a day without alcohol I'd start getting extremely anxious and irritable. I resentedyour wife and parents for trying to control me (that's what my addict mind was telling me anyway). Wife breathalyzed me one time after driving 23 miles home, I blew a .29. :(

It took going to rehab, weekly therapy, and depression medication to get me out. Been sober for going on 3 years now, other than a few setbacks. Still need to hit an AA meeting everyou now and then, tho.

Addiction :(

Bro I remember when we used to play MW2 and you used to always be drunk playing and always cussing out kids and ****. I remember when you first posted that you had an addiction and were going to counseling and quitting. I can't believe it has been 3 years since the day you quit. It seems like just yesterday to me. Anyways congrats on your sobriety and good luck in the future. 

I think back in the day, by introduction to beer was a machismo thing. My best friend and I would raid the beer fridge at parties. We were dumb jocks who thought it made us stronger. "BEER MUSCLES"

I somewhat idolized the character of Stone Cold Steve Austin. By that time, I wasn't watching wrestling much, but to me that's the greatest character ever. If I ever want a laugh, I can watch a Stone Cold segment.

I remember my first Sam Adams Winter Lager. First craft beer I ever tasted. Hated it. The friend I was sitting next to at the bar got it for me. I told him he could have the rest after the first couple sips. I was all about that Bud Light though.

Fast forward to now, I've been through a phase that lasted close to 10 years where I've dove deep in to the world of craft beer. Sam Adams Winter Lager is one of my favorite session brews, and I can give you detailed decriptions of an array of different craft beers. I think I have by far the most posts in The Beer Thread.

Now I can't get enough of the ole malt liquors. Cheapest joints out there. Can't be affordin' the expensive **** right now, but I do sincerely enjoy the flavor of the malt liquors. Just a beer junkie, I like 'em all.

Earthquakes, gold 4lokos, and hurricanes. 

Basically anything named after a natural disaster will **** you up for cheap. 

Bro I remember when we used to play MW2 and you used to always be drunk playing and always cussing out kids and ****. I remember when you first posted that you had an addiction and were going to counseling and quitting. I can't believe it has been 3 years since the day you quit. It seems like just yesterday to me. Anyways congrats on your sobriety and good luck in the future.

LOL you can't claim sobriety and love skunk weed at the same time.

Yeah, sweet drinks are my kryptonite. That's how I got so big... Well that and dropping out of school. I went from like 3 something to 512 in like 2 years. I think I told y'all I got as high as 560 (If I didn't now you know.) Can't believe I set myself up like that. I'm under 500 now, but I got a long way to go. Trying to get rid of this weight before I'm 30 for real man.

Wow, that can't be easy. I wish you strength brother.

Have you ever considered a switch to a plant based diet? Watch Forks over Knives. I can suggest several books and documentaries. Obesity and meat consumption is now considered a larger health risk than smoking.

Feel free to reach out, if you're interested in any information on a healthy diet. It's all about making your diet and body do the work.

It took going to rehab, weekly therapy, and depression medication to get me out. Been sober for going on 3 years now, other than a few setbacks. Still need to hit an AA meeting everyou now and then, tho.

Addiction :(

I didn't know this about you my brother. Congrats on your sobriety. I'm in the same boat with this battle. Reach out any time.

Actually acknowledging that I have a problem is the hardest part. Now, I don't see anyone I use to hang with. It's changed my life a lot.

I think about going to meetings at times, but the "god" stuff makes me angry. I have issues towards religion. I still might go. I was doing a hell of a lot of cocaine too. Rum and blow are really good and really cheap and available here.

True good luck on your sobriety of alcohol. 

Dude, SGA was the ****.

Trying to get rid of this weight before I'm 30 for real man.

Wow, that can't be easy. I wish you strength brother.

Have you ever considered a switch to a plant based diet? Watch Forks over Knives. I can suggest several books and documentaries. Obesity and meat consumption is now considered a larger health risk than smoking.

Feel free to reach out, if you're interested in any information on a healthy diet. It's all about making your diet and body do the work.

I've told ya'll about hubby's weight loss...he's down 74 pounds now...all with quinoa instead of meat. He'll have a little chicken here & there *3-4 bites*, the rest is veggies. I'm buying the huge cartons of eggs...he loves hard-boiled eggs, they're easy, and protein without the nastiness. (I say that with a smile...HE isn't the one who grew up on a farm.)

I wasn't that crazy about quinoa, but there are oodles of things to put in for flavor...sesame oil, some days he uses basil & oregano.

A cheap steamer is about $20...steam some Cali blend veggies(or whatever you like), 15-20 minutes depending on how soft you like 'em, put some on top of the quinoa, cheese it with your favorite. Melt in the mic for a minute, and you're losing weight already.

Just offering suggestions...best of luck, you can do this...feel free to ask about anything.

I've told ya'll about hubby's weight loss...he's down 74 pounds now...all with quinoa instead of meat. He'll have a little chicken here & there *3-4 bites*, the rest is veggies. I'm buying the huge cartons of eggs...he loves hard-boiled eggs, they're easy, and protein without the nastiness. (I say that with a smile...HE isn't the one who grew up on a farm.)

I wasn't that crazy about quinoa, but there are oodles of things to put in for flavor...sesame oil, some days he uses basil & oregano.

A cheap steamer is about $20...steam some Cali blend veggies(or whatever you like), 15-20 minutes depending on how soft you like 'em, put some on top of the quinoa, cheese it with your favorite. Melt in the mic for a minute, and you're losing weight already.

Just offering suggestions...best of luck, you can do this...feel free to ask about anything.

Protein is largely over rated.

Eggs have a lot of the bad fats

Are you rinsing the quinoa? You can get powdered stocks and meat flavor liquids to add. I've got a great vegan chicken stock from McKays. I've been doing a lot with miso though, because I want to quit smoking.

Cauliflower baked or mushrooms can work like meat replacements too.

A lot about diet is about timing too. Drinking room temp lemon water 30 minutes before meals and as soon as you wake up all help make the metabolism accelerate. I like stacking. Juice, raw, cooked as far as meals go, so the body doesn't have to work to digest and can work on the stored fats and performance.

Fiber and the right carbs are also key for weight loss and performance. Controlling insulin too. Good sugars.

If I wasn't doing this dog training thing right now, I would absolutely be taking nutrient classes. It fascinates me as much as animal behavior and I do love food.

Protein is largely over rated.

Eggs have a lot of the bad fats

Are you rinsing the quinoa? You can get powdered stocks and meat flavor liquids to add. I've got a great vegan chicken stock from McKays. I've been doing a lot with miso though, because I want to quit smoking.

Cauliflower baked or mushrooms can work like meat replacements too.

We know about eggs, but he lost the weight so fast it caused gout...he has an idiot doctor who didn't notice his uric acid was off the charts for 20 years. He's on warfarin, so shrooms and spinach are out, the two things I cannot live without.

We have two diets going on in the same house. It can be done. Quinoa(claims to be prerinsed) & veggies can be made for the week. I add the stuff he can't have. All good.

We know about eggs, but he lost the weight so fast it caused gout...he has an idiot doctor who didn't notice his uric acid was off the charts for 20 years. He's on warfarin, so shrooms and spinach are out, the two things I cannot live without.

We have two diets going on in the same house. It can be done. Quinoa(claims to be prerinsed) & veggies can be made for the week. I add the stuff he can't have. All good.

Isn't gout usually caused by excessive unprocessed protein intake, especially by more undigestable sources, like animal proteins or is it mostly because of the iron?

I always rinse it, unless I'm in the mood for bitter. Don't sleep on the other grains, like amaranth (that's my favorite). It's super small too, so you barely need anything. Buckwheat groats are so nutty and earthy and chewy. Love um.

Sounds like it's going great over there.

I highly suggest Meat is for Pussies by John Joseph, lead singer of the CroMags for a fun, pissed off, take your life back, kind of book. It's got a lot of recipes at the end, but the first half is informative and funny. I found it pretty motivational.

Nobody plays guitar like this guy. Nobody. He is one of the most technically sound and generally perfect. Every chord, note, perfect. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiqnJdN1Ug

I'm definitely an alcoholic. My parents are alcoholcs, but my brothers and sisters aren't. I got hit with that gene or something.

My mom is a raging alcoholic, dad is way more chill when he's sober or drunk. I am more like my dad, with a rage every blue moon. Been extremely good about the rage the past couple years.

My wife's grandparents are. Grandpa died recently, by accounts he was abusive to her aunts and uncles growing up. Grandma is the same. Still putting away Jack Daniels in her mid 80s, drinking and driving after family gatherings and probably every day. That's gonna be ugly if she gets pulled over and has to go to jail in her 80s. She once drove over to our place, it's within walking distance and you can see our house from hers and she gets out of the car with a drink in hand. really, gramma?

I hope my wife doesn't go down that road. 

In a weird way, I've kinda stopped drinking not because I have a problem with it, but I just stopped enjoying it. I'll drink a beer if offered, but that's about it. I was at a fantasy football wrap up party this weekend. My beer pong game is still strong but really could just live without drinking cheap beer. I probably drank two beers and switched to gingerale in 4 hours. 

Isn't gout usually caused by excessive unprocessed protein intake, especially by more undigestable sources, like animal proteins or is it mostly because of the iron?

It's uric acid stored in your fat cells...when the fat burns off, the acid goes straight for your extremeties...toes, ankles, fingers, etc. He doesn't drink alcohol at all...nothing...that's where most flares happen, when you drink.

I'd do a lot of double and triple checking on the foods to avoid Mary. Most doctors are now saying that high purine vegetables (such as mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, peas, etc.) do not add to the uric acid levels in the body and do not cause gout attacks. 

Of course, the person with the condition always knows best and knows what causes problems for them. 

I'd do a lot of double and triple checking on the foods to avoid Mary. Most doctors are now saying that high purine vegetables (such as mushrooms, spinach, asparagus, peas, etc.) do not add to the uric acid levels in the body and do not cause gout attacks. 

Of course, the person with the condition always knows best and knows what causes problems for them.

The mushrooms, spinach, and asparagus...he can't have those because of the warfarin (blood thinner). He's tried the others that don't have dietary restrictions, but their cost to his insurance is higher, therefore makes everyone else's higher, so he compromises.

I've seen addiction affect people in my life close and far a lot over the past few years especially. It's a scary beast. I come from a long line of addictive personalities. Wife does too. Almost everyone in my family are smokers and folks who used to but quit including myself (11years, quit cigs in 2014, weened off nicotine via vaping altogether last year), still have a cigar here and there. But I'm happy with where I'm at, and honestly proud of the fact that I was able to put something like that down, especially when so many of my friends and family do it. I still step out with friends when they smoke just for the social aspect.

If the nicotine wasn't bad enough, in the past few years I've seen opiates directly affect people very close to me. From an aunt dying way too soon a couple years back because she just couldn't shake that demon, to seeing some other folks very close to me going in and out of rehab and jail, to receiving a call after work one day from a buddy notifying me that one of our long time friends was found earlier that morning by his parents dead in their bathroom of an overdose. Those pills and needles are monsters. Kinda stuff terrifies me. I never got into drugs. Never wanted to feel as though I didn't have full control of my own body/mind/self. That, and I was afraid I'd like them too much and become a statistic, so I always figured it was smarter to just stay away. I like booze, but I try to make a conscious effort to keep an eye on how much I'm consuming.

If I've learned nothing else about addiction, I'll always know that no addict will stop or try to get better unless they're actually ready. It's one of the most frustrating and flat out painful parts of loving an addict. No matter how much you yell or talk, no matter how much you give, no matter how many lengths you go, they will always find a way until they're ready. And you'll never know what that really means or how much it truly hurts until you've seen it first hand. Nothing feels right. Everything that feels like the right thing to do typically ends up enabling them in one way or the other. Cutting them off feels like you're turning your back and they won't be afraid to let you know that. Especially if it gets in the way of their addiction. You'll see sides of a person you thought you knew everything about so ugly that you never knew they were even capable of it. They'll use you until they've wrung you dry and still ask for more. Which is one thing. But what makes that even harder on top of the fact that you still care, is that you'll always know in the back of your mind that if they ever do decide to make a change they're gonna need you more than ever.

Addiction sucks.

When we buy a new house, I've decided I want a projector vs a 70" LCD. Just have to make sure I can control the light in the room.

Also keep in mind you'll need a decent sound system to pair with it if you go that route. Nothing wrong with going the projector route, it has plenty of benefits. But there are also some cons. For one, you need a separate audio source which will also lead to running additional cable which could be simple, but can get dicey should you choose to not mount the projector in one spot for portability sake. Also keep in mind that projectors use lamps and lenses and any decent one is gonna use expensive ones. If you keep the lenses clean you'll never need a new one unless you find yourself in a bind in which you need to use a long throw or short throw depending on your distance situation. But no matter what, using a projector for everyday casual viewing purposes is going put hours on those lamps and fast. Meaning they'll need replacement which could run you $35-40 on a cheaper model, or a few hundred on a middle of the line model, to thousands for the real high end stuff. Surface you project on makes a difference, light as you mentioned is huge, and placement as well.

Sorry, I promise I'm not trying to be a downer here or anything. Just throwing out some info since I have experience working a lot with projectors. As an event AV tech I've worked with quite a few different projectors in quite a few different environments. They can be absolutely AWESOME, they just require a little more maintenance and planning than just throwing a big screen TV on a stand and calling it a day.

I bought a epson 2030 projector a few years back for less than $650. Mounted it to the ceiling in my living room. I bought a screen for it but never put it up. It honestly looks pretty good just on my wall. Jpage definitely makes some fair points. Placement is a big deal. Light is not so much of a problem unless you have a ton of windows and no blinds. I also think a sound bar would be just fine for the audio though the projector I own does have a built in speaker. As far as the lamp replacement goes. It cost $60 and took about five minutes to replace. I'd say go for it Springy. It's well worth it, especially on Sundays in the fall. 

I bought a epson 2030 projector a few years back for less than $650. Mounted it to the ceiling in my living room. I bought a screen for it but never put it up. It honestly looks pretty good just on my wall. Jpage definitely makes some fair points. Placement is a big deal. Light is not so much of a problem unless you have a ton of windows and no blinds. I also think a sound bar would be just fine for the audio though the projector I own does have a built in speaker. As far as the lamp replacement goes. It cost $60 and took about five minutes to replace. I'd say go for it Springy. It's well worth it, especially on Sundays in the fall. 

Sound bar would do just fine, I only brought up the audio because the speakers on most of the projectors are usually pretty small and don't sound too good. I use the Epson 2030 projectors regularly at work and they're awesome. The sliding keystone control is amazing for using it in rooms that don't give you many good straight shots to your target. Lamp replacement on those is definitely on the cheaper side which is nice. Pop out a couple screws, take out the old one, and lock in the new one and you're done.

I should've noted that a lot of the cons I brought up were VERY dependent on the projector you get. Use and Maintenance on an Epson 2030 is very manageable. Much like a lot of projectors of its size and price range. But once you start going to the bigger and more involved models, things start to get a little more intricate and expensive. Apologies for not specifying that lol.

Archived