Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Looking a lot of houses this past month online..I have to say one thing.

I question humanity more based on some of the carpeting/paint choices people make in their homes listed for sale.

Purple and green shag carpeting? Really?

Groovy, homeslice.

Bright fire engine red paint in the bathroom? WTH?

When we bought our house, it was loaded with pink. ...carpet, tile, toilet, counter tops....all gone except pink bathroom tile. And i'm about ready for some demolition

I question anyone with white walls.

I dislike anyone that thinks eggshell is a color.

Hah!

My wife is the same way. When we were buying a house she had serious reservations about living with me because my parents house was all white walls. She thought I'd be the same way. Multiple times she had to have a conversation with me about not having white walls.

TEG, do yourself a favor and DO check out foreclosures. Even ones that need repairs. We got a forclosure in 2014. got a seperate renovation loan from the bank, did some much needed repairs (like well and septic were the costly ones), and still ended up with over $100k in equity the day we moved in.

It's important to note that it's all situational though. Going neutral might help you sell because it has a blank canvas type of appeal to someone moving in. My wife and I are in the process of looking for a rental and some of the places we've seen are painted in ways we just don't find appealing and it definitely plays a role.

I'd love that carpet, but not with 16 foster dogs. That would get nasty fast.

My living room is candy apple red.

I question anyone with white walls.

I dislike anyone that thinks eggshell is a color.

Our main floor (living room, kitchen foyer, stairwell and upper hallway) are white, they are all connected and open.  But the attached rooms are different colors.  My office downstairs is a darker blue (not dark like Duke), 1/2 bath downstairs is blue.  Master bedroom is yellow, master bath is brown (hunting/fishing theme when wife decorated it).  

Other bedroom is blue (I think, or green - never really go in there).  Tazette's room is green and her closet is pink.  Bathroom between those two rooms is yellow.  My bonus room is still white, never got around to painting it and now it's more of an upstairs den/office than a man cave and I'm rarely up there.

We just painted our cabinets and island in the kitchen white and are going to paint the downstairs soon, wife can't stand just white either, but it's a time issue, so we have to plan it out for when we are going to do it.

Daughter heading to a neurologist in about an hour (just got the call to bring her in) to check her out. She's had headches lately and yesterday the optometrist noticed her optical nerves were swollen. Could be minor, could be major. Don't know yet, but any thoughts and prayers you can send Abby's way are so appreciated. She's such an amazing girl.

thoughts and prayers are with you both

TEG, do yourself a favor and DO check out foreclosures. Even ones that need repairs. We got a forclosure in 2014. got a seperate renovation loan from the bank, did some much needed repairs (like well and septic were the costly ones), and still ended up with over $100k in equity the day we moved in.

The problem is the "as is" part. And the fact that is would be listed as foreclosed property for the life of it. Which I have heard scares off future buyers. Although with the SF Bay Area market the way it is, even East Bay - you almost always have equity the minute you buy. 

That said..we are not ruling anything out right now. We haven't even enlisted an agent but that will come soon since my wife finally got her official offer letter for the promotion/new Fed job that starts in 11 days. 

The problem is the "as is" part. And the fact that is would be listed as foreclosed property for the life of it. Which I have heard scares off future buyers. Although with the SF Bay Area market the way it is, even East Bay - you almost always have equity the minute you buy. 

That said..we are not ruling anything out right now. We haven't even enlisted an agent but that will come soon since my wife finally got her official offer letter for the promotion/new Fed job that starts in 11 days. 

aren't foreclosures "as is?"  Great deals, but isn't the risk through the roof?  Can you have an inspection done on a foreclosure?  

Yes. You can have an inspection done on a foreclosure. but really it's only to know what you're getting into. You can't say, the home inspection showed roof issues..so we want $5k off. The bank won't play those games.

We had a contractor review the house, and a home inspection. Even then, there were some surprises. Like the bank not winterizing the house properly, and finding out about burst pipes once the water was turned out. That was an extra $4,800 to fix. but still, we were able to get FAR more house for our money than we could otherwise. Our total renovations took about 1.5 months. We had to have a new well done, new septic, remodel 1 bathroom completely, and rebuild a kitchen. I guess the sticky point for most is finding a contractor you trust.

If you stay in this house for 9 months or 15 years, who cares if it was foreclosed on before?

I know foreclosures aren't for everyone. Just throwing it out there :)

Good stuff, Rict.  I knew there was something to it with a foreclosure.  Just because you find and identify the problems, doesn't mean they're going to be fixed LOL.  1.5 months for reno is nothing for a steal of a deal!

Archived