Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Thanks everyone. Posting on a random football message board probably seems silly or attention grabbing but it's definitely therapeutic. Holding it together in front of our other kids is tough (and who am i kidding, its been like 1 aftwrnoon) and it's nice to read all the well wishes.

best of luck to you and your daughter. They always say girls need their fathers. I think fathers need their daughters just as much.

I don't know if you guys know already, but NFL Network is airing the TV broadcast of Super Bowl 1 tonight at 8 PM and again at midnight.

Set your DVRs or watch it. I never saw it, although I watched a cut up of the whole game on YouTube.

Forgot to say to Dave, best of luck with the surgery, thoughts are with you and hoping for a 100% recovery for your daughter.

god i hate espn.  and i hate it even more that i would have to quit watching sports or at least miss many games i'd like to see in order to boycott them.

i know they jumped the shark a long time ago, but they just added an "e-sports" section.  video games.  espn....wtf?

worst part?  on the drop down menu for nfl, mlb, nba...esports is above NCAA men's basketball.  smh

E-Sports is big business man. It's coming. Won't be long before we're seeing LoL, DOTA, and COD coverage on a somewhat regular basis. The interest is there.

"The times they are a changin..."

Good to see all the goodwill and willingness to open up on here. Not that I'm surprised. Stuff like this is why we're all still here and why this thread in general has over 2750 pages. It's more than just booty jokes and movie talk in the RTT. I may be fairly green in comparison to some of y'all, but there's a family aspect to the regulars here that is just understood. I wish the best for all of you and hope for brighter days when the chips are down.

Some of the stuff I'm reading here is hitting me pretty hard. Little background on me. I'm 28. I've had pretty severe ADD and ADHD my entire life. From about second grade through middle school I was on Ritalin, Dexadrain, and Concerta. When I got to HS I decided I wanted to be off the meds and fight this thing on my own. I did, and I haven't been back on them since. But since sometime toward the end of college and starting to get those slaps in the face that adulthood brings. I developed some anxiety. Over the years that anxiety has grown. To a point where I'm at a crossroads. A point in which sometimes I wonder if it hasn't spawned a minor case of actual OCD. I find myself worrying all the time. I have to check simple things I know I've already done multiple times like locking my home and car doors, checking the dome light on my car after the door shuts, checking my pockets to make sure I have everything, stuff like that. I've had panic attacks more often than I'd like to admit.

My work life and relationship and everything is fine. I like my job, my colleagues, and am able to do it to the best of my ability. I love my wife and she's my rock. Good friends, good family etc. But like I said, I'm hitting a bit of a crossroads. Anxiety and worrying isn't getting any better. Nor is my ability to focus. Quite the contrary even. I wonder if maybe it's time to look into seeing someone about it. I'm worried about being put on meds because I don't know what they're gonna do to me and I'm worried about the cost of something like that in general. I'm stretching every dollar I can as it is.

I hate you so much. lol. But yea, Duke is the best. She put up a fight about letting them draw blood last night. Wife called and I talked her into it. Otherwise she is so brave and strong! Told everyone there loves her already.

Prayed for your girl last night when I put mine to bed. We're praying for a speedy and full recovery.  

I don't get what dudes carry in a backpack after college weird as hell to me.

snacks, of course....

Rh7q1mM.gif

actually... i usually bike, and then i am carrying some of my work clothes, toiletries, bike locks, flat kit, pump ...etc...  

when i don't bike, i am just still in the habit of carrying it.  and it has work-out clothes (which i haul back and forth to work all winter with out using), lunch, a magazine, hat, gloves ..... 

Thanks everyone. Posting on a random football message board probably seems silly or attention grabbing but it's definitely therapeutic. Holding it together in front of our other kids is tough (and who am i kidding, its been like 1 aftwrnoon) and it's nice to read all the well wishes.

who WOULDN'T develop a soft spot for this guy  

=> => => =>

default_large.png

really.... know that thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.  I know that this is a terrifying time.  I literally sat awake in my bed crying when my little girl was in the ICU ... i didn't want my wife to  wake up and be burdened, and i felt so powerless and impotent.     But it really WAS better when i had others to share the internal burden, which freed me to be there more for others.

stay strong, and share the weight!

But like I said, I'm hitting a bit of a crossroads. Anxiety and worrying isn't getting any better. Nor is my ability to focus. Quite the contrary even. I wonder if maybe it's time to look into seeing someone about it. I'm worried about being put on meds because I don't know what they're gonna do to me and I'm worried about the cost of something like that in general. I'm stretching every dollar I can as it is.

I continue to have anxiety attacks and minor bouts of OCD.  But I've always been an orderly person.  I tend to panic a bit when chaos is around me.  I work on that every day just trying to remain calm and think things through before reacting. 

One thing I decided to do when I was looking to see someone was to not go to a Psychiatrist or Psychologist.  My first thoughts were, they would want to diagnose/label me with an affliction.  I already knew I was having problems.  I didn't need someone to tell me that already.  I needed someone to find out why and guide me through it.  The second thing was, I didn't want them dispensing me any meds.  Hell, I fight my regular doctor from filling me up with pills.

I decided to find a licensed couselor who deals with "mens issues."  I went to one place and they said all of the male couselors had no openings (tells you something right there about the state of men).  They said I could see a female couselor.  I knew that wouldn't work.  How could she understand what I'm going through?  I got real lucky and found a guy that is right around my age.  He's married, has a couple of kids and has been very good to me. I hate to say this, but we've become kind of like friends in a way.  I feel like I can tell him anything. He told me the other day that the day I came to see him compared to today, is like night and day. 

I hope you make sure if that is the route you go, make sure it's the right fit.  If you go somewhere and it doesn't feel right.  Don't be apologetic for not going back and continuing to find one that is right. Best of luck to you and I'm here for a PM if you need it.

First off..best wishes and prayers, Dave. 

Secondly..you guys are ****ing nuts. Glad to see I'm on the right board still. ;)

Finally..I've carried a backpack now for 30+ years. I'll be 41 in a few days. Damned if I ever carry an oversized man purse (messenger bag) or briefcase.

edit..as long as I don't wear a suit to work..I don't see a problem with backpacks. 

I had a messenger style bag, but switched back to a back pack. I got stuff to carry. Lunch, a water bottle, note book, stuff for playing sports. And it keeps my hands free to wrangle my two little kids. 

As with any "fashion" it must be predicated on function first. 

forgot to add:

especially if the backpack is black.

Yeah, I was at the Pittsburgh marathon wearing a back pack, being brown, a few weeks after the Boston bombing at their marathon. I got the eyes. Again. 

I hate being an assumed terrorist when I'm just really a creepy perv checking out the girls in their tight running gear. Terrorists, worst thing to happened to pervs.

I have no problem with video games getting coverage. But e sports? Sorry, it's not a sport, and shouldn't be in espn. We need a dork network

Over 155,000,000 Americans play video games. It's far from "Dorky" anymore. I'll give you the whole competition but not a sport thing. There's no athletics involved. But I think it's pretty easy to see why ESPN wants in.

http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

I hope you make sure if that is the route you go, make sure it's the right fit.  If you go somewhere and it doesn't feel right.  Don't be apologetic for not going back and continuing to find one that is right. Best of luck to you and I'm here for a PM if you need it.

I appreciate the support and advice. Thank you. I actually hadn't considered counseling specifically. That's a route I'm going to look into. Social stigmas can bite me. If it's gonna help, I'm down.

Over 155,000,000 Americans play video games. It's far from "Dorky" anymore. I'll give you the whole competition but not a sport thing. There's no athletics involved. But I think it's pretty easy to see why ESPN wants in.

http://www.theesa.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/ESA-Essential-Facts-2015.pdf

I appreciate the support and advice. Thank you. I actually hadn't considered counseling specifically. That's a route I'm going to look into. Social stigmas can bite me. If it's gonna help, I'm down.

i've been playing video games for over 30 years.  i'm a dork...but the dork comment was tongue in cheek.

still think espn is a whore, and this is explicit proof.

First off..best wishes and prayers, Dave. 

Secondly..you guys are ****ing nuts. Glad to see I'm on the right board still. ;)

Finally..I've carried a backpack now for 30+ years. I'll be 41 in a few days. Damned if I ever carry an oversized man purse (messenger bag) or briefcase.

edit..as long as I don't wear a suit to work..I don't see a problem with backpacks. 

I wear a suit to work.... (or sometimes change into a suit at work)

on days i ride the metro you can often find me in the  DC-standard suit with dark cashmere long coat .... and reflective neon-glow backpack.

Archived