Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

Brenda and Eddie were the Popular steadies And the king and the queen Of the prom Riding around with the car top Down and the radio on Nobody looked any finer Or was more of a hit at the Parkway Diner We never knew we could want more Than that out of life Surely Brenda and Eddie would Always know how to survive

kinda feeling like a boss right now, humor me for a sec  

Builder wanted $35K to finish our basement, we told 'em no thanks.  Sales guy said we'd be hard-pressed to get it done cheaper than that by a general contractor/basement finisher in this market.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.   :angry:

Spent the last two week getting quotes and negotiating between the three contractors to get the price down as low as possible.  Well, I'll sign a contract this afternoon for $17K (builder wanted $35K).  Basement is 1,100 square feet, and the negotiated finish includes permits, framing, drywall, ceiling (drywall, not drop), electrical, paint, and bathroom piping and shower/tub install (we already have rough ins for plumbing and will install our own toilet & sink).  Wife and I will do our own floors as well.  contractor is legit, licensed, bonded, good reviews, etc.

anyway, just to be an asshole (but not really, we are cool), i'm going to walk over to the model house/sales office when i get home and show our sales guy my contract for a basement finish at half the price the builder was asking.  Then, I'll ask him to pull my finger, which activates my swag:

tumblr_nbrfv4GnRG1r0fwnpo1_400.gif

Since you're dealing with a contractor, I recommend saving your swag until the job is actually done.

I can just picture The Money Pit with Tom Hanks.

Everytime chewie asks the contractor when the job will be done they respond...2 weeks.

Good point, better not jinx it lol.

We did our homework though. Contractor is A+ bbb, has 17 reviews online, some with pics. He emailed me a copy of all his licenses, insurance, etc.

Our builder does a "courtesy" job on unfinished basements, about maybe 40% is already insulated and drywalled

I'll post pics in the "home improvement" thread when it's done and claim I "finished my own basement" cuz I did the floors and toilet. #swaggle

Dollars to donuts that contractor has some day workers he picks up at Home Depot every morning at 7am.

Especially in the Denver (and any state west of it) area. 

Have fun supporting terrorism, chew.

:P

edit..I kid because I am jealous of anyone having a basement. Never had them in Virginia Beach (for obvious reasons) and never have had them out in California.

the contractor we're going with, the owner is white, and his project manager is asian.  So you can understand my confidence in the company to do a good job ;)  LOL.  

Going to the Nats game tonight, think I've only seen them once before.

Dollars to donuts that contractor has some day workers he picks up at Home Depot every morning at 7am.

Especially in the Denver (and any state west of it) area.

Have fun supporting terrorism, chew.

:P

edit..I kid because I am jealous of anyone having a basement. Never had them in Virginia Beach (for obvious reasons) and never have had them out in California.

my basements are 30,000 gallons worth of swimming pool. No city water, just cistern.

Wife surprised me a couple of times for my birthday a couple of days ago. First she takes me to a sports store so she can return a bike. As I'm looking at gym equipment,she calls over "Happy Birthday."  I look over and there's a nice utility weight bench waiting for me for my garage gym. Day of my birthday I wake up to find a card and will-call paperwork for appetizers,dinner,and tickets for Romeo and Juliet at the Shakespeare festival up in Lake Tahoe. We went last night. Awesome stuff. Great play with the lake in the background. She's a keeper that one. ;)

PCS, I know of a couple of the  great Shakespearean festivals around where you used to live in Utah (Colo/Nev), but if you ever get the chance to attend the one in Ashland OR, do so--and it's a wonderful little place to go with a special someone. 

Archived