Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

I think I'm done with the NBA thread.

It's been like 3-4 years now. At some point you find yourself getting tired of the usual posts/antics/agendas. You find yourself engaging in less and less actual basketball discussion, and instead having at it with people over topics that have nothing to do with what happens on the court.

At this point, there are about 5 people in that thread that I respect when it comes to actual basketball discussion, who are there year round, and don't just show up when the playoffs start, making a vigorous effort to to bring nothing but fervent ignorance/bitterness/jealousy/lame jokes into the fray. The rest, I don't really care to see post anymore. I'm tired of arguing with it, and I'm tired of looking at it. 

I'm not the type to put people on Ignore ( I just quickly scroll past anything they post, or if I see them last posting in a thread, I won't open it), so when you come to the realization that you have to consider Ignoring multiple posters in order to not bury your face in your hands immediately upon opening a thread, it's better to just roll out.

No mas

I wish I still liked the NBA because basketball was my favorite sport growing up and still kind of is. But watching 14 years of mismanagement takes it toll, especially when you have no hope for the future. I think the Wizards are the worst run franchise in any pro sport, maybe even from an all time stand point.

I wish I still liked the NBA because basketball was my favorite sport growing up and still kind of is. But watching 14 years of mismanagement takes it toll, especially when you have no hope for the future. I think the Wizards are the worst run franchise in any pro sport, maybe even from an all time stand point.

You have my condolences...

Meh, more time to spend on things that are more important. I used to watch almost every regular season game and waste time reading blogs/posting about it. Maybe it's an age thing but my fandom for maybe all sports is like 1/10th of what it was maybe 4-5 years ago.

I used to like the NBA before the Pistons were heavily affected by the NBA defensive rule changes. Thursday was my first NBA playoff game I watched this year. 

I just kept it on mute while the hockey was on the computer. 

Meh, more time to spend on things that are more important. I used to watch almost every regular season game and waste time reading blogs/posting about it. Maybe it's an age thing but my fandom for maybe all sports is like 1/10th of what it was maybe 4-5 years ago.

It is an age thing (I think), because I was the same way. Living and dying over losses, inconsolable as a teenager, then you get into adulthood, understanding more and more about how businesses operate, and as you begin to understand that, as well as getting into things outside of sports that interest you, you begin to give less and less of a **** as the years go by, especially when the tam sucks, and sucks consistently.

They don't wake you up for breakfast in bed in the morning, they don't pay your bills (you pay theirs though), they don't heal you when you're sick, etc. Its kind of what annoys me when people start to go on about turning in fan cards, talking about fan attendance, etc etc. People have lives. Cats can break down their film, and scout the opposition like they're Vince Lombardi, sitting in a dark room all day all they want, but don't try and act like you're special, or that you're a "real fan," because you're not. You're a weirdo.

I don't know if it's talk radio, or message boards in general that's done this, but never before in my life have I ever associated "Obsessed/die hard fan" with "Insane" more than I do now, especially when it comes to pro sports, where guys get paid. College is a different story, but even then, a large majority of the fanbases are people who went to school there, or people who live in the general area, where in some cases, there is nothing else to do but milk cows all day.

I would say that I'm a dedicated fan, but I'm not a diehard, not even close. I will never abandon common sense, perspective, or criticism. I still get pissed and all that during games, but now, it's usually gone after a few hours (12 hours if it was a really bad loss). But there are people who's complete emotional well being is tied to how their teams are doing. That's not a healthy way to live.

It isn't my life though. Not anymore. It's not worth being that miserable over something you have no control over.

I'm with you Vish. The NBA is just so...meh now. It sucks because as Kevin Sheehan always says, the Wizards really are a sleeping giant in this town. If they ever got consistently good, the town would be all over them.

They just might be the most mismanaged franchise in the history of pro sports, although I think the Clippers are probably ahead of them if we factor in all-time(they're a lot better now but you know eventually Griffin and Paul will leave).

funny the people that think redskins is offensive.  the most offensive term even worse than the N word is "American indian".   1) Why are we calling them american?  These people were here because that term was coined.  2.  We are calling them people from india.  3. We basically made up a term to distinguish these people yet redskins is offensive

I think I'm done with the NBA thread.

It's been like 3-4 years now. At some point you find yourself getting tired of the usual posts/antics/agendas. You find yourself engaging in less and less actual basketball discussion, and instead having at it with people over topics that have nothing to do with what happens on the court.

At this point, there are about 5 people in that thread that I respect when it comes to actual basketball discussion, who are there year round, and don't just show up when the playoffs start, making a vigorous effort to to bring nothing but fervent ignorance/bitterness/jealousy/lame jokes into the fray. The rest, I don't really care to see post anymore. I'm tired of arguing with it, and I'm tired of looking at it. 

I'm not the type to put people on Ignore ( I just quickly scroll past anything they post, or if I see them last posting in a thread, I won't open it), so when you come to the realization that you have to consider Ignoring multiple posters in order to not bury your face in your hands immediately upon opening a thread, it's better to just roll out.

No mas

Yup me too. I don't like that thread anymore.  I just want to have fun and talk about basketball but i think in a couple of weeks, i am going to shut my account down on here

I'm with you Vish. The NBA is just so...meh now. It sucks because as Kevin Sheehan always says, the Wizards really are a sleeping giant in this town. If they ever got consistently good, the town would be all over them.

They just might be the most mismanaged franchise in the history of pro sports, although I think the Clippers are probably ahead of them if we factor in all-time(they're a lot better now but you know eventually Griffin and Paul will leave).

They're already headed back that way now, after firing Del Negro, all because they thought that's what Chris Paul wanted...

I honestly don't even care where Blake Griffin goes because he is by far the most overrated player in the NBA, but I don't see Chris Paul staying there. They will eventually go back to being the Clippers,, sooner rather than later

I'l bandwagon on the Wiz once they get good again

home+alone.jpg

simpsons-mob-torches1.jpg

Have you no shame? You know you cant say that. That's like yelling "Fire!" on an airplane...

Seriously though, it really shouldnt be that big of a deal as people make it. It's one thing to be a fairweather fan, Lakers fan, or a Cowboys fan in DC (which is strictly attention whorism, no matter how you try to justify it), but I honestly don't care about bandwagon fans within a city. Everyone wants to pretend like they don't care more (or watch) about a team when they are winning. Just about all sports fans are bandwagon fans, unless they were rooting as soon as the team was established. Other than that, you jumped on a team at som epoint, for whatever reason.

True fandom is born from there, meaning that you don't dump the team when they suck.

My buddy had a P falcon, but it got killed by a centipede a few weeks ago, the Wizards is a ridiculous name for a team, I really wish spell check worked for me on this site now and after rereading what I typed last night, I feel like a lunatic, but I did get home after sunset because my car died before I left.

My favorite time of the year is fast approaching. There is nothing better than watching the Redskins and fantasy football. Also the fall is an amazing time of year. Ahh, the anticipation...

Was reading a little while ago about Josh Hamilton returning to Baltimore on Monday. That was the site of his 4 homer game last year. I remember right after that game that royallypwned had a highlight of each HR in his sig here. Hard to believe its been almost a year since he passed. Cowboys fan or not, he was my favorite poster here.

Can't believe I stayed up until 1 pretty much talking this girl out of some Fatal Attraction/Sahel Kazemi/Jodi Arias ****. She's the "Other woman" of some dude that's cheating on his wife, with 3 kids.

Apparently they had some kind of falling out, and she doesn't want to see him again, unless he leaves his wife. He doesn't want to leave his wife, but he also doesn't want to leave her vagina (which is basically what I told her). No matter how much she tries to view their relationship as "Special," she is ultimately his woman on the side, and that's all she'll ever be.

Upon realization of that, she starts coming up with all sorts of crazy scenarios in which she's going to "Get him back!" ranging from actually confronting the wife, which is a great way to get her ass beat (especially if the wife begins to question her, which will ultimately lead to her realization that she's only doing it for revenge, not because she thought it was wrong, or knew of the marriage), piss off homeboy, and destroy a marriage/family, effectively ruining the lives of everyone involved (especially the children), to either lying about being pregnant, or allowing herself to become pregnant (which is a great way to end up dead, and on The First 48/City Confidential). 

Tried to convince her that the best way to get a guy back, is to simply ignore them, act like they aren't ****, and move on with her life. That's the only option. She was too hardheaded to hear that though, and it eventually ended with her hanging up the phone because I wouldn't give her the green light to go full speed ahead with her revenge tale. The craziest part about all of it is that she's very attractive, and could easily do a lot better than what she is right now, but for some reason, is completely stuck on some d-bag.

Hopefully that doesn't end with me turning on the news one day, and seeing her involved in a triple murder suicide, or some other crazy ****. :doh:.

Wow. The radio is playing this dumb girl who went into a Dunkin Donuts and flipped out because she didn't get a receipt. She went back the next day demanding a free meal because she has a business degree and stuff. Shut up. This isn't the Ritz, it's a Dunkin' Donuts. 

When it comes to fan media,, Major League Baseball has the NFl beat nine ways to Sunday.

Their website is better.. NFL.com always gives me problems, parts of it don't load right, other parts load slowly, their videos rarely seem to work as they're supposed to. MLB is easy to navigate, not a ton of annoying sliding menus, no need to wait for queries while stats compile..

MLB Network is MUCH better than NFL network.

when it shows a classic game, it shows a CLASSIC game.Games from the 60s, 70s 80s.. I've watched some good ones.. Bob Gibson pitching against Roberto Clemente's Pirates for example.. AWESOME to see.

NFL shows a classic game, it's from 2 years ago. i can still remember every figgin' play down to the announcer call. It's like it was yesterday.

MLB knows there are more teams than the Yankees and Dodgers and red sox. NFL thinks the world only gives a crap about the Packers and Patriots, especially when it comes to showing us a "classic game". Oh, what's this? ANOTHER airing of Brett Favre vs the cowboys in 2008? Yawn.

MLB knows how to cater to it's fans in terms of access.. they know they have a rich and interesting history, and they use it.

NFL has NFL Films, and rarely uses it to the extent it could be. They have warehouses of old games and show us the same five over and over.

NFL has produced some excellent programs, like the Americas Game series.. but if you REALLY want to cultivate good new fans, show them these Hall of Fame players in full games, show more than the occassional blip in a "top ten sock wearers" show or something.

~Bang

My favorite time of the year is fast approaching. There is nothing better than watching the Redskins and fantasy football. Also the fall is an amazing time of year. Ahh, the anticipation...

Was reading a little while ago about Josh Hamilton returning to Baltimore on Monday. That was the site of his 4 homer game last year. I remember right after that game that royallypwned had a highlight of each HR in his sig here. Hard to believe its been almost a year since he passed. Cowboys fan or not, he was my favorite poster here.

I miss RP. :( I wonder who he's rooting for in the Finals up above? Don't think he cared for either team.

Is it just me or has it rained a ton so far this summer? More than usual...

I miss RP. :( I wonder who he's rooting for in the Finals up above? Don't think he cared for either team.

Is it just me or has it rained a ton so far this summer? More than usual...

It's Summer???

On another note, I watched (or tried to watch) Cloud Atlas last night. What in the holy hell.... Had to turn it off after about 45 minutes to keep my head from exploding. That is the craziest, most confusing movie I've ever seen. Just when you think you're starting to understand even a little bit of whatever the hell is going on, you get dropkicked in the forehead and knocked out cold. My completely uneducated guess is tha the entire point of the movie has something to do with reincarnation, and that there is something that triggers those moments where they keep mentioning "I've seen/heard this before."

I'll try again tomorrow...

Archived