Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Thought Thread

stevenaa

12 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

So definitely random... I've noticed that many educated men with a southern accent and soft spoken. .. comes across as gay. Definitely not but initially...seems that way. 

One of my best college professors was a soft-spoken Southern man.  By the time he was in college he had almost completely lost his accent because he went to boarding school in the Northeast as a child/teen and people there assumed he was a moron whenever he spoke.

31 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I'm just wondering if other people think that many times it seems that way. So he came across as a moron...because of the accent? 

I was in the lobby of a posh Nashville hotel having coffee and some guy said something to me. In my head I knew it was in English with a deep Southern accent but for the life of me have no idea what he said. I'd prob say that it's possible that people thought he was a moron.

58 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

I'm just wondering if other people think that many times it seems that way. So he came across as a moron...because of the accent? 

From my understanding, yes.  Granted this is all coming from his perspective with only his side of the story, but I think it's reasonably believable.  My impression is that people from the North and the coasts tend to look at people from the deep South as uneducated.

Apparently he was picked on quite a bit at first.  Whether the comments specifically connected his accent and his "intelligence" I don't know obviously.  I gather they might have, because he certainly took it that way.

(And in fairness to all involved, I should mention that he is a pleasant person, a successful professor and married with kids.  Near as I can tell he is as much at peace with his life as anyone else.  He only brought it up because some students were surprised to learn that he grew up in the South.  It's not like he opened the course by shaking his fists at those damn Yankee boarding schools.)

Why the **** are Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham constantly in my newsfeed and why the **** are they talked about like they're the leading voices of a generation? I keep trying to figure out why the hell I should care about them and keep finding nothing. Keep waiting for them to do something funny or cool and nada. Granted I haven't seen their shows but I also haven't met anyone who has either. Not that I know anyway (so nobody is talking about them.) Yet there they are, day after day, in my newsfeed, with some new dumb **** that they've done. So tell me, why should I care?

2 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

I was in the lobby of a posh Nashville hotel having coffee and some guy said something to me. In my head I knew it was in English with a deep Southern accent but for the life of me have no idea what he said. I'd prob say that it's possible that people thought he was a moron.

I know in my travels folk would follow me and ask me to say something more.

Ya'll sound kind of funny as well :)....First time I heard a recording of my wife speaking I was thinking who is this hick? 

So the good news post surgery is that the pain has subsided considerably since yesterday. Now my main concern is finding a balance between stepping down my pain pills too quickly and staying on them too long. 

Im reading stuff (on the Internet. Which is dangerous) about opioid addiction.

18 minutes ago, twa said:

I know in my travels folk would follow me and ask me to say something more.

Ya'll sound kind of funny as well :)....First time I heard a recording of my wife speaking I was thinking who is this hick? 

Now I didn't think that man was dumb, I just knew I couldn't understand him. I can understand like 6 languages and what came out of his mouth was garbled to the max. 

Tbf, I think that about a lot of people in Pittsburgh when they talk in their regional, slack-jawed, casually racist way.

I don't understand why people drift 4 mph through parking areas for 5 minutes looking for a spot 50 yards closer than what I found in 5 seconds.  Holy jumpin ****, your ass NEEDS to take an extra 50 yards of a walk (50,000, actually).

And who here zips diagonally through parking lots and drives down the wrong direction of one-way parking lot lanes?  I don't like you anymore.

I'm in a gated community, it has doors with button codes.  There's a guy who has a raised Jeep with a police spotlight on it.  I park on the side street and come in through one of the coded gates every time I come home.  He always parks super close to people with his Jeep.  If anyone else was a douchebag parker, it could box somebody in like 

EAZCqF8.gif

I parked and got out of my car as him and his girlfriend were walking out of the gate door.

Strike 1:  He left the gate door wide open.

This is a strange phenomena.  People have the benefit of a gate encircling their community, but just say "**** it all" and leave that **** swingin.  What the ****?  Close the door now, little Timmy.  Jesus Christ!

Strike 2:  The close-proximity parking.

Strike 3:  Goes up to the 4-lane intersection with no stoplights; just a lone stop sign for our street, notorious for T-bone accidents, and doesn't use his LEFT TURN signal.  I repeat: LEFT TURN.  You ****in COOL PERSON.  TOO COOL.

Oh, and I bet that linebacker who plays with one facemask bar lowered down like Scott Norwood's that you call a GIRLFRIEND gives great Jeep skull.

Archived