Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McDonald’s french fries just got fatter

Zguy28

AP: McDonald’s french fries just got fatter

Full Story here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11241228/

CHICAGO - McDonald’s french fries just got fatter — by nutritional measurement.

The world’s largest restaurant chain said Wednesday its fries contain a third more trans fats than it previously knew, citing results of a new testing method it began using in December.That means the level of potentially artery-clogging trans fat in a portion of large fries is eight grams, up from six, with total fat increasing to 30 grams from 25.Often used by restaurants and in packaged foods, trans fats are thought to cause cholesterol problems and increase the risk of heart disease. The dietary guidelines for Americans that were issued by a government panel last year said people should consume as little trans fat as possible.

The disclosure comes as McDonald’s Corp. starts rolling out packaging for its menu items that contain facts about their nutritional content — a move made voluntarily but with the fast-food industry under pressure from consumer groups and the government to provide more information.

I find it amazing that people still worry about what McDonalds puts in it's 'food'

if there is a single person in this country over the age of 16 who doesn't know that McD's food is full of fat and other bad things, then they deserve their clogged arteries.

Maybe we should treat McDonalds like cigarettes. Little labels on the bags that says the contents within taste good, but are terribly bad for you.

~Bang

I find it amazing that people still worry about what McDonalds puts in it's 'food'

if there is a single person in this country over the age of 16 who doesn't know that McD's food is full of fat and other bad things, then they deserve their clogged arteries.

Maybe we should treat McDonalds like cigarettes. Little labels on the bags that says the contents within taste good, but are terribly bad for you.

~Bang

You'd be surprised how naive people are.

~Bang

They make good salads.....

:paranoid:

~Bang

True, but transfats are particularly scary. I eat fatty stuff that is bad for me all the time, but I avoid transfats at all costs - they really will kill you.

1) I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that people target McD when complaining about the evils of fast food. They're the biggest, so they get targeted.

But if you want to target bad food, target the food, not the company's gross profit.

I'd be willing to bet (although I haven't checked) that the average Burger King meal has tripple the fat of the average McDonalds.

(I'd also bet that the average Subway meal is over half of the McD meal. They advertise their low fat by listing their fat content for 6" subs with no mayo and no cheese, but those aren't their typical sandwiches.)

2) Now, with this latest revelation, millions of health nuts will stop eating McD's french fries, right?

All right Larry. I'll take you up on this. Of the three fast food chains, here is the gluttonous items that I eat.

Mcdonalds-

Double Quarter Pounder w/cheese- 730 calories, 360 from fat. 40 grams of fat, 19 g saturated fat, 3 g trans fat

Large French Fry- 570 calories, 270 from fat. 30 grams of fat, 6 g saturated fat, 8 g trans fat

Large Coke- 310 calories

Burger King. Bacon Double Cheeseburger: 540 Calories, 280 from fat. 32 g of fat, 15g saturated fat, 1.5 g trans fat.

Large Fry- 500 calories, 250 from fat. 28 g of fat, 6 g saturated fat, 6 grams trans fat

Soda- 310 calories

Wendy's

Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger- 380 calories, 170 from fat. 18 g of fat, 7 g saturated fat, .5 g trans fat.

5 piece nuggets- 220 calories, 130 from fat. 11 g of fat, 2.5 g of saturated fat, 1.5 g trans fat

Biggie Fry- 490 calories, 210 from fat. 21 g of fat, 4 g saturated fat, 6 g trans fat.

Soda- 310 Calories

The gut busting totals are as follows:

Mcdonalds: 1610 Calories, 630 from fat. 70 fat grams, 25 saturated fat, 11 g trans

BK: 1350 calories, 530 from fat. 60 fat grams, 21 saturated fat, 7.5 g trans

Wendy's: 1400 calories, 510 from fat. 50 fat grams, 13.5 saturated fat, 8 trans

What does this tell you? A)- I have too much time on my hands, and B)- everyone should probably cut down on the fast food.......

Heidenreich,

I'll confess that maybe my assumption that BK had a lot more fat was beacuse my typical BK order was the Bacon Cheddar Ranch Steakburger and large fries, whereas McD is Quarter Pounder.

(I haven't eaten fried from McD, much, since they changed the receipe about 10 years ago. (They stopped using a blend of vegetable and beef fat to cook them, so that their fries would contain no cholesterol. IMO, they ruined the taste of the only product McD ever had that was recognised as the best in the world. Almost as stupid as changing Coke.))

IMO, BK tastes better. Therefore, I order more, and I assume it's got more fat.

That, and I see things on the menu like breakfast sandwiches with two eggs, two sausage, three bacon, and two cheese. (Seem to remember reading that that one sandwich was something like 3K calories.)

But, thanks for the info.

~Bang

nobody i know cares about what mcdonalds puts in there food considering that we have a mcdonalds literally right across the street from our school

The only fast food I ever pig out on anymore, is Checkers and Taco Bell.

Bacon Cheeseburger and Loaded Fries... :mmm:

Steak Burrito Supreme and a 7 Layer Burrito... :mmm:

:laugh:

I usually reward myself with one weekend meal of whatever I want after a particularly good week in the gym. There's nothing wrong with treating yourself to pretty much anything once in a while, as long as it's just that...a treat.

Archived