Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you homophobic?

Zguy28

66 - Your score rates you as "homophobic."

In his 1996 study of 64 Caucasian, male college students, Dr. Henry Adams classed 35 participants as "non-homophobic." In 1980, a different research team found 56% of their white, male sample scored in the homophobic range. This is not conclusive, however. Dr. Adams, the researcher who helped develop this scale, writes that "a major difficulty of this area of research is in defining and measuring homophobia." Elsewhere, he cautions: Since there is no universally accepted definition of homophobia, the scales currently in use may not measure all aspects of homophobia.

28 here....Hey I'm all for gays.....more women for me...in fact I was talking with my friend about it and he started laughing when I told him about that belief....(he is gay).....also what straight man minds seeing two women make out.....admittingly I do get a bit queasy when I see two men going at it but then again I don't really need to look at that.....

I'm with you, we should rally with them "It's okay to be gay"! If someones on the fence, give them a push in the gay direction. More women for me! Then when they cross over ask for their little black book of girlfriends. :laugh:

15 - Your score rates you as "high-grade non-homophobic."

The answer to the question about whether I would hit a gay person who hit on me was easy, because when it happened in the past, I didn't hit them. Full story: In college at the beginning of my freshman year I was introduced to a Japanese guy and found that we had some mutual interests. I was in his room one day and we were sitting on the couch and he put his arm around me. So I turned to him and said "What are you doing?" and he said "Don't you want to?" To which I replied "No." I think he then asked me "Why not?" I responded something to the effect of "I just don't want to, I prefer women." And that was that.

Homephobe is really a null term though I guess that the closest VALID definition is one who fears homosexuals. By that definition, any score made on this test is not relevant since many of the questions that tended to raise you to phobe status had nothing to do with fear.

Words eventually transcend their etymologies. Just as an anti-Semite doesn't refer to someone who is against Semitic peoples, and just as a symposium isn't a gathering of people drinking together, so too is a homophobe no longer just one who fears homosexuals. Indeed, if you were going strictly by etymology, a homophobe would be someone who fears things similar to himself or herself.

Therefore, I'd be interested to hear what your criteria are for "valid" definitions.

AtB,

Then, like I said, the term has absolutely no meaning and the test was even less relevant than I thought.

I think his point is that it still has a meaning, just not the old standard one. As a matter of fact (and i posted this a few pages back) m-w.com defines it not only as someone who has an irrational fear (i love the fact that they say 'irrational') of gay people, but also as someone with an aversion to them.

From m-w.com:

homophobia

One entry found for homophobia.

Main Entry: ho·mo·pho·bia

Pronunciation: "hO-m&-'fO-bE-&

Function: noun

: irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

- ho·mo·pho·bic /-'fO-bik/ adjective

Ok, I scored as non-homophobic, and I have good friends of the family who are gay, and have known them since I was about 11. That being said, I did have an incident related to the subject this past Monday night in GA.

I had gone to this little bar Sunday night, and the locals were real cool and made me very welcome there. I went back Monday night for dinner and a few beers.

I sit down and order a beer and a menue, and this guy comes over and sits next to me and introduces himself to me. He handed me one of his cards and said I should stop by his shop for a hair cut. I told him I was only town for two days for some Triumph training. The guy seemed to be a bit drunk, and babbled on and on.

Out of nowhere, he asks me if I'm married, and it clicked............. he was a gay guy. He kept babbling about sports cars, and finally walked away. A little while later, he came back and sat next to me again while I was eating my dinner. I acknoledged him, and he says " you have got to be the best looking guy I've ever seen" I got a lump in my throat, but let out a little laugh. He said, "no, really, it's your eyes. You have bueatyful eyes"

I looked at him and said, ya, whatever. He then said," well, I'm gay as a three dollar bill", and put his hand on my inner thy. SHOW TIME....... within a split second, I had my thumb and fore finger crushing his Adams apple while holding him up with my left hand. With him gasping for air, I told him to get his flaming arse to the other side of the bar, and to stay there or he would surely end up in the hospital, if not the morgue. He scrambled over to the other side of the bar just before the owner came over to break things up.

The flerting didn't bother me that much, but he found my limit very fast. SOB ruined my entire night. I finished my food and beer, and headed back to the hotel I was staying at.

I looked at him and said, ya, whatever. He then said," well, I'm gay as a three dollar bill", and put his hand on my inner thy. SHOW TIME....... within a split second, I had my thumb and fore finger crushing his Adams apple while holding him up with my left hand. With him gasping for air, I told him to get his flaming arse to the other side of the bar, and to stay there or he would surely end up in the hospital, if not the morgue. He scrambled over to the other side of the bar just before the owner came over to break things up.

Show time-- :laugh: Man I can't believe he was that forward. You didn't stumble upon a gay bar perhaps, did you?

gay people can do their thing in private: just as long as i don't have to see it and its outa sight/outa mind. i scored 56 but only becuase i think homosexuality is morally wrong; not to mention a severe mental disorder that i think needs to reaserched more, but anyway, they can have their freedom to do what they want as long as they don't exhibit their "behavior" in my presence, its for the same resons i say this that there is a law against streeking, the majority of the population just doesn't like it:D

AtB,

Then, like I said, the term has absolutely no meaning and the test was even less relevant than I thought.

Why do you assert that it has no meaning? It clearly has a meaning, just like several other terms. Rincewind has now posted an accepted definition twice.

I looked at him and said, ya, whatever. He then said," well, I'm gay as a three dollar bill", and put his hand on my inner thy. SHOW TIME....... within a split second, I had my thumb and fore finger crushing his Adams apple while holding him up with my left hand.

He should never have touched you. That is crossing a line. I think you were within your rights to use force to repel him, although crushing an Adam's apple is a bit extreme.

I also hope that this serves as a lesson to guys who try to touch girls without their consent. The girls are probably equally pissed off, but generally they don't have the luxury of responding like Pete did.

Show time-- :laugh: Man I can't believe he was that forward. You didn't stumble upon a gay bar perhaps, did you?

Nope, and I'm fairly sure in that. The night before was not a problem, with a good mixed group of people. Three very sexey girls working the bar and tables, and many couples there for the game.

I was just lucky I guess:doh:

:laugh:

He should never have touched you. That is crossing a line. I think you were within your rights to use force to repel him, although crushing an Adam's apple is a bit extreme.

I do feel a little bad about the incident, and likely should have just yelled at him to scare him off. That being said, I didn not really hurt him, and I shouldn't have used the term "Adams apple", and instead said throat. It's an incopacatating type of move where you can either control the person, or kill them...........

Nope, and I'm fairly sure in that. The night before was not a problem, with a good mixed group of people. Three very sexey girls working the bar and tables, and many couples there for the game.

I was just lucky I guess:doh:

:laugh:

Yeah, really. Getting hit on like that would be my luck. Just think, you if you are hot to BOTH sexes (in a non-Ricky Martin sorta way), you must be pretty damn hot!! :silly:

I'm not normally homophobic, but when I was a kid there was this house down the street that had been deserted for years, and was said to be haunted.

One day, a friend of mine and I went into the house to look around and see if it was haunted. We didn't see any ghosts, but I'll tell you, we were scared anyway. That house was creepy.

So anyway, that is one home I was scared of.

Archived