Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Honest question from a Seahawk fan

Daklu

Err... that's the fans that had been complaining and tooting the Hawks horn, not the team. I'm curious about the team earning respect from other teams' fans.

I must disagree, listening to Hawk players on ESPN, reading quotes.... they come off sounding arrogant, and more concerned about getting attention & respect, than the playing the Redskins.

Seahawks have my respect already it's just that they have been seriously overblown. Then the 9 point favorite thing is rediculous. If I was in the states I'd put down a grand on that line right now its so unrealistic.

I don't think its that nobody here respects Seattle, its just that we see you have played 4 games against good teams and are 2-2 and very easily could have lost the 2 you won, especially if it was against this Redskins team on a roll like it is now. If you win the game though, we will have no choice but to respect them since they would have proven that they weren't a creation of a weak schedule.

The thing is, the Redskins are on a 6 game win streak and have found ways to win every week and we beat other teams in the streak that were still in the playoff race or wanted to clinch a division and we stopped them.

One thing that has me a little worried is that Brunell isn't exactly playing well. He had that Cowboys game, then Ramsey actually probably saved the Giants game (but we had the home crowd too), and Brunell has looked pretty average/bad in all the other games since early in the season. But he doesn't get distracted by all the crowd noise in road games and is the best choice to start.

Also, before the 6 game win streak started this same team found ways to lose 3 straight in games they should have won or else they'd be on a 10 game winning streak right now. I do think most of the earlier losses happened because Griffin was out and teams were able to run their offenses almost totally undisturbed and he has been back for most of this current streak, possibly being the most important player on the defense.

I expect the Seahawks to be able to get a passing game going but I also expect the Redskins defense to be able to shut Alexander down for the most part and create pressure to cause some mistakes and give us good field position a few times. Thats all we really need. 3rd down and long and we can create turnovers.

If the Seahawks can move the sticks consistently, not give us a short field, and wear out our defense though, it could be one of those games where Brunell will have to throw downfield to have any chance and that hasn't been working out very well lately. The game could go either way and will probably come down to Brunell doing something stupid or Hasslehoff throwing picks or getting passes batted down. Either that or a fumble on a kick return which both teams have had happen this year a few times.

The Seahawks already have my respect. I think they're a good team, but not the elite team in the NFC as many Hawk fans and talking heads would like you to think. Right now, I think the Panthers are the best team in the NFC and the Bears are the worst team remaining in the NFC. The Seahawks and the Skins are pretty even and if the Skins offense was somewhat consistant, I'd say that the Skins are clearly better. However, too frequently our offense goes into a shell and doesn't produce anything--regardless of the strength of the opposing defense. If the offense is clicking and the defense is healthy, we're as good as anyone, including the Colts. Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

Our defense will keep us in this game. Remember, Seattle only had three points midway through the third quarter when we played in week four and their comeback was made possible by Sean Taylor leaving the game due to injury. Shawn Alexander was pretty much shut down during that game except for one long run on the perimeter (at the time we were giving those up every week-Bell of Denver, Holmes took a screen 60 yards, Tiki Barber, even in our blowout of San Fran one of their backs had a 70+ yard run). Since then, our run defense has sured up and is playing like it did last year when it allowed a league best 3.1 yards per rush.

I also think that a rarely mentioned factor in this game is whether or not Seattle's receivers will be intimidated. Remember, Engram missed six weeks following the Skins game and Jackson missed twelve weeks. Add that to the fact that the hitting is harder in the playoffs and Seattle has a problem.

Seattle's offense is good, but I think the Skins will hold them under 20 points. I don't trust our offense so you guys might still win. Hopefully, we get Clinton and Ladell running. If we can dominate the LOS against your smallish linemen, we can put up enough points to win. I hate to say it, but at this point I see Mark Brunell as a liability. I don't think he'll be able to move the ball on his own. We're going to have to scheme it just right, or have an overpowering run game if we want to win this one. Either that, or we can score on defense and six yard drives like we did last week.

Hopefully, this game will be decided by the players, not the zebras.

The majority of the posters on this board are claiming the Seahawks are pretenders, paper champions, losers, etc. I really can't fault you for being loyal to your team, but I'm curious what the Seahawks would have to do in the game against the Redskins for each of you to give them some respect and acknowledge they are a good team?

Beat a winning team in the regular season.

Beat a winning team in the regular season.
Done! :D

Dallas 13-10

NYG 24-21

Indianapolis 28-13

Is that good enough or do you want to modify your statement along the lines of, "Beat a winning team convincingly in a game where they don't rest their starters?"

Note - I'll press for further clarification if you do modify your statement. :)

I don't think anyone is debating that the Hawks are a good team. No one, however, sees them as a dominant team. They just aren't that outstanding. If they rep the NFC one can almost bet that they will be 1+ TD underdogs to the AFC rep.

the issue is that they are not good enough to be considered unbeatable.

I'll echo what a lot of people have said already... what you're hearing is mostly a reaction to the dismissal of the 'skins as opponent. We've heard NFL analysis on national tv where when asked about the Redskins chances and the broadcaster literally laughs. That rankles. Raises your hackles. I think you are going to see an angry, good team Saturday.

More, each of us has seen every 'skins game (well, I have anyway) and what we know for a fact is that in only three games out of seventeen was the contest not contested. San Fran we destroyed by fifty-two, Giants who we were anhilated by, and Dallas who we obliterated. So, for all but one of 17 contests we either one convincingly or the game was very competitive. Despite the spread, even the game against Seatle was. You want to call it a draw because of the missed field goals. Even so, a draw doesn't warrant the hype we've been hearing. You even hear some eahawks' players getting into the act of dismissing the 'skins. So, it's not about the Seahawks being disrespected. It's about the Redskins being denied any respect whatsoever.

Incidentally, thanks for all the thoughtful posts on this thread. In all honesty, I have read very little from Redskins fans that I would seriously dispute.

the issue is that they are not good enough to be considered unbeatable.
I completely agree. I don't think any team in the playoffs is unbeatable and I'm not very comfortable with media pundits saying the Hawks are clearly the best team in the NFC.
If they rep the NFC one can almost bet that they will be 1+ TD underdogs to the AFC rep.
Given all the praise the AFC has received this year, I suspect any NFC rep would be 7+ pt dogs to the AFC.

Geez... you guys are killing me. I gotta go to bed.

Must... stop... posting...

If the Redskins bring out their "A" offense rather than the "C" offense we have had lately, I see this as a Redskin win. We are going to have to have a game like we played against Dallas and the Giants in the second meeting. That said, Gibbs and Williams have done a good job when they have had a chance to see a team before. I think that is the strength of our coaching staff. I look for a great game, very close like last time but I see us winning it by more than a field goal this time.

You under-rate Hasselbeck.

You over-rate Alexander.

And most importantly, you assign your superiority to a tougher slate of opponents. You are thereby stretching.

Admit it, you are scared.

I'm scared.

But I was scared when we went against Arizona, St. Louis, Philly and I would've been if we faced the Texans too!

Stretching? Naw... I think it'll be a great game, and I see a lot of valid points from everyone here(minus all of the silly karma things everyone and their mother believe in like the Seahawks not winning in the playoffs for like ever now).

Facing a tougher slate of opponents can be good and bad. Good in that were battle-tested. Bad in that were battle-stricken. What I mean is were banged up; not seriously, but it does have an affect many of us here would rather not admit.

You guys are rested... but that could be bad too, considering you run an offense based on timing. Anyone know the Seahawks record under Holmgren when coming off a bye week? That might be interesting to look at.

I'm just happy this game is easier for me to stomach. I feel great about our season, about our team, about the progress we've made in so little time under Gibbs... it's just great to feel good while watching the Redskins again. Whether we lose or not, I'm happy. Granted, I'm happier with a win... but I'll still be happy. Who would've thought with the way are division was looking we'd be the only ones left in the playoffs right now? Amazing, all praise is due to God.

I just hope we have no injuries on either side first and foremost, and we play a game thats fun to watch. :)

Let me see if I got this right?

The Redskins shouldn't even be here because they had the 11th hardest schedule and were at 5-6.... Then won 6 in a row against pretty good teams and then beat Tampa at Home. And beat you this year. Not last year or the year before but this year.

Seattle: Never wins a playoff game and is favored by 9.

I believe thats enough respect right there...

How many Teams have won the 2nd time the skins played them this year under Gibbs?

We are going to have to have a game like we played against Dallas and the Giants in the second meeting. That said, Gibbs and Williams have done a good job when they have had a chance to see a team before. I think that is the strength of our coaching staff. I look for a great game, very close like last time but I see us winning it by more than a field goal this time.

You could be right there. The Cowboys are coached by the GREAT Parcells and the second meeting between these 2 teams was just embarassing to Cowboy fans. They haven't been back since. My sig shows a face rarely seen on Parcells. He is bewildered and is thinking about retirement there. :D:D

The Giants completely dominated in every way in the first game yet got served large portions of crow after the second meeting.

I don't know, this game is on the road but you know Gibbs is spending more time going over the gametape from the last game than the Seahawks coaches are. He always does. It will take a very superior effort by the Seahawks or a pile of turnovers and mistakes by the Redskins to turn this game into a big Seahawk win like the "experts" want to believe.

The "experts" don't like it that Gibbs is proving them wrong but they sure do seem to have short memories.

I originally thought the Seagulls had a good chance at winning this game.

Then their idiot kicker got joined by a bunch of other morons on the team in providing the 'Skins tons of bullettin board material. Thanks for adding to the chip on the team's shoulders... :seahawksu

I may be in the minority on the board, but I think that Seahawks have proven a lot this year. The country has given them no love. I recently heard a NFC power ranking that rated them as just better than the Redskins (and lower than Carolina and Chicago). I think that's a little disrespectful.

I think the Seahawks are a good team. You see good teams lay an egg against a bad team from time to time.

If someone wins as many games as Seattle, has a running back of Alexander's stature, who has superior blocking up front, I would say we are going to have issues on Saturday. It is not going to be easy, that is for sure.

I think teams like ours and say New England are peaking right now. In fact in my opinion the scariest team out there, and you may agree is the Brady led Patriots...

The majority of the posters on this board are claiming the Seahawks are pretenders, paper champions, losers, etc. I really can't fault you for being loyal to your team, but I'm curious what the Seahawks would have to do in the game against the Redskins for each of you to give them some respect and acknowledge they are a good team?

For me I'm not sure there's anything they could do to prove this. The Redskins have been on an emotional six-week high just to keep alive. At some point we're going to fade a bit, whether that comes this week or after the Super Bowl :).

Should the emotions level off some, playing against an amped up team in the playoffs could lead to a buzz saw game like we had against the Giants. Everyone in the world knew the Giants weren't really THAT much better than the Redskins after the 36-0 whipping they put on us. That game was an emotional victory where it fell apart for us, worked well for them, and you move on. It didn't change anyone's views as to whether we were actually a competitive team capable of beating them or not.

Seattle is capable of beating us, no doubt. They were effective moving the ball against us the first time even as we held the ball and tried to keep it away from you. Our offense is a little up and down so we can be controlled if it's down and we're a little flat.

You could win this game by 50 and not have it really be a reflection on you so much as on us. For me, only having you guys win the Super Bowl could overcome the unimpressive regular season where you clearly got fat on weak teams. Otherwise, it'll be hard to believe you're that good. The Redskins may well have gone 14-2 or better playing the same schedule you played.

So, you get marked down quite a bit until you do something special against tougher teams.

One fans opinion:

You guys already have my respect.

As far as I'm concerned, every team that's still playing, deserves to be in the playoffs. (I suppose you could argue that, say, the Giants "deserved" a bye week more than you guys diid, or argue about the seeding. But there aren't any bad teams in the playoffs.)

As I pointed out somewhere else, you folks beat the Cowboys and the Giants, and came within one of beating us.

The Cowboys and Giants, while not as good as the Skins :) aren't exactly the Niners, either.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of the "overrated" and "soft schedule" posts are responses to "you'll lose by 20" posts.

I don't expect the Skins to win by 20. (I'd consider it a possibility, but a really slim one.) I just think we're not exactly a long shot, either.

Trufant is questionable. Go Santana!!

I'm tired of hearing how "there's no way the Skins can win putting up 120 yds of offense again". I doubt these analysts watched the game since they don't realize we were trying to kill the clock for 3 Qtrs! It should be a good game this weekend as long as Seattle doesn't jump out to an early lead but the 9 pt spread is a bit generous.

TwoDogs--

How can anyone grow up a Redskin fan and switch to another team? This is worse than Darth Vader.

Bwhahaha. Next thing you know, he's going to start killing the young children of Redskins players and cheerleaders. But hey, we all know what happened to Darth. When the Skins win the big show, he'll come to his senses.

One more tidbit:

" Since all four games this weekend are rematches from the regular season, here's an interesting note: Since 2000, there have been eight instances when teams that faced each other once in the regular season played a rematch in the playoffs. In those games, the teams that won the regular-season meetings are a combined 8-0 in the playoff rematch"

Done! :D

Dallas 13-10

NYG 24-21

Indianapolis 28-13

Is that good enough or do you want to modify your statement along the lines of, "Beat a winning team convincingly in a game where they don't rest their starters?"

Note - I'll press for further clarification if you do modify your statement. :)

Let's not get all wacky here.

Daklu, I admire your objectivity and ability to have a rational discussion about the upcoming game. Having a civil debate or discussion like this is fun and helps fill the void between games.

I'll give you Dallas. I'll give you the Giants.

No chance h - e - double hockey sticks do you get the credit for beating a winning team with the Colts though.

C'mon my friend, for a guy who's clearly exhibited such objectivity, I have to believe that even YOU know that one was a stretch.

Statistically you're correct. But logically that falls a bit short.

Archived