Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What films ru oddly passionate about?

Mooka

I forgot about "KingPin"! That movie kills me everytime I watch it...that opening sequence with Woody H. in those white polyester pants doing the splits while his bowling ball is spinning in place in the middle of the lane...classic!! :laugh:

Because of this thread I re-watched Old School last night....I figured out why I like it...I have TOO much in common with "Frank the Tank"...:doh:

I thought signs was a good movie as well, although the ending was pretty stupid. Sounds like another alien movie I just saw....

But for guilty pleasure movies -

White Chicks

Harold and Kumar

Dude Where's my car ( I thought that they were planning a sequel for this one. And if any of you have the dvd the Actors commentary is hilarious)

Originally posted by Bang

Weird Al Yankovic's "UHF"

Michael Richards is a RIOT in that movie

~Bang

Stanley Spadowski was hilarious.

I'm gonna get you sucka! Is another great movie.

I also liked the three amigos, christmas vacation, and the Fletch movies. Chevy was funny at one time.

Originally posted by gbear

Basic Instict

War of the Roses

Witches of Eastwick

All underappreciated movies. Yes I know many of us um "appreciated" Basic Instinct, just not enough. :-)

I liked all these movies, but, they were big hits and mostly got decent reviews. Pardon the nitpicking.

1.)A knights tale

2.)Behind Enemy Lines

3.)The Replacements

4.)Highlander

5.)We were Soldiers

6.)Black Hawk Down (There was no grey area for critics on this one, it was either oscar worthy or garbage and most of them said garbage.

in no particular order:

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (one of the best movies to come out in ages IMO)

Truman Show (no, it's not a jim carrey thing)

Rushmore

Dr. Zhivago

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

edit: my bad, the thread title and what you ask in the first post are different questions. most of the movies here were probably well received by critics.

as for movies that were supposed to suck and i loved....:

Joe Dirt- (it's pronounced "Deer-Tay") is a great movie. i laughed my ass off!

Gods and Generals- i love Civil War history and thought this was great. check out these poor reviews: http://www.critics.com/g/godsandgenerals.htm

Best of the Best- wow, Eric Roberts makes an appearance...

Red Dawn- the first PG-13 movie ever!

Waterworld- One of Dennis Hopper's best roles (can't touch Blue Velvet though!), a great mix of action and humor. the Valdez!

Originally posted by LC80

Van Wilder makes me think of the donut scene. And that makes me sick to my stomach.

Eclairs weren't they?

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Originally posted by iheartskins

Riggo--good call on Dark City. I have that movie on DVD and watch it every so often. It's a really cool movie.

Gattaca is also a movie that I really like that a lot of people don't.

Second the call on Dark City. And first on Gattaca. I like both of them a lot and know few who do. So cheers to both!

:cheers:

Here is one I have seen only a few times but you guys might like too:

Kafka.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102181/

Clue was freakn' funny.

"I am you're singing telegram!" "BANG"

:laugh:

Originally posted by AJWatson3

dark city was pretty damn cool. only saw it a month or so ago. thank you netflix!

how about keifer sutherland playing that doctor? great work.

edit: with this post i am now one of the 4400!

After watching the Matrix I said, "I've seen this done better before...when it was called Dark City."

1. Starship Troopers - The book is so much better - an small armoured unit with tons of weapons and battlefield nukes - but I watch the movie every time it is on.

2. Conan the Destroyer: It's Arnold...swinging a sword and smiting the bad guys.

3. The Postman: It reminds me of a western film, with a flawed hero and a bad guy that gets his dues.

Originally posted by Baculus

1. Starship Troopers - The book is so much better - an small armoured unit with tons of weapons and battlefield nukes - but I watch the movie every time it is on.

2. Conan 2: It's Arnold...swinging a sword and smiting the bad guys.

3. The Postman: It reminds me of a western film, with a flawed hero and a bad guy that gets his dues.

My mother and I were surprised by the Postman. It wasn't that bad(other than Costner's self-aggrandizement through choice roles.)

What I found interesting is that I agreed with some of the rhetoric that the villain used. The problem is, as is often the case, that his rhetoric was only meant to justify his rule and his depredations. IT was taken to a fascist extreme. But he did properly diagnose some of the problems the 'past society' faced(meaning us.)

But I did like the Postman, as it also touched on what makes our identity as Americans and the importance of accepting that identity and the heritage, lest we be scattered to the winds like the Postman's survivors.

I actually like a lot of Costner's movies. He isn't the best actor - rather wooden at times - but he does the trick, and the movies are sometimes epic in scale.

The funny thing is, I remember thinking, "You know, if this guy wasn't rather malicious in his ways, he may be a good leader." Like you said, he identified some of the problems with society, but he was selfish, tyrannical and a racist to boot.

I loved the feel and the atmosphere of the Postman. The scenery in the film was great, too, and well filmed. Also, the movie demonstrates that you sometimes don't know what you have, namely, a nation, until you are missing it and do not have it anymore.

Okay,(Extreme break ;) ). Movie I've been watching for the past few hours and still watching, ( hell the thing is 4 hours). Gettysburg. Good reviews I think but bad at the box office. Great movie and once I start watching it, hard to stop. That battle on Little Round top was awsome. And the final battle, "Pickett's Charge", wow. Okay. Back to couch and movie. :yawnee:

Originally posted by Disco Dave

Rockers

Rockers!

Wife: I didn't know you comin fo dinna.

Horsemouth: Mon, you never kno when i be comin in fo dinna.

(can't remember the exact quote but who knows what those cazy Jamaicans are saying for sure?)

I very much enjoyed King Arthur as well, of course I enjoyed it because it was probably the worst movie ever made. Ok i take that back, Battlefield Earth was definently the most pathetic excuse for a movie ever made. Usually, like King Arthur, I like watching vey bad movies for comedy but that crap jeeeeeezzzz... sooooo freaking retarded....

Archived