62 members have voted

1. 1. Those crazy celebs

• TomCruise (+ Katie, package deal)
    • Mike Tyson
    • Michael Jckson
    • Nick Nolte
    • other

Originally posted by Woofer Magoo

I guess that is why Green had interceptions 19 years in a row. Hands like bricks.

It would have been twenty years in a row, but Trotter blocked a pass that Green was all set to intercept. Stupid Trotter.

Come on man, Darrell would be the first to tell you he didn't have good hands. He dropped more pics than he caught. I still would take Green over Deion in a heartbeat, but Deion was much better at making pics.

Originally posted by mookie0720

In his prime Deion was the most dangerous multi-purpose player in the history of football.

No player was as feared both on D, and in the return game as Deion.

When Deion picked a ball off you EXPECTED him to take it back all the way.

Green is the model for consistancy, but if you compare prime-to-prime (no pun intended) Deion was the best CB, and the most dangerous weapon to ever play the game.

I think DG was better overall in their primes. You're right that Deion was more feared, and more explosive, but DG was the whole package. He could neutralize the best receivers in the league, he could tackle and was tough in run support, and he was dangerous on returns if needed.

Originally posted by Nerm

I will say this. Deion was not as loyal as Green. I would rather have Green for 15 years then Deion for 5. [/b][/quote

I got to agree... Deion was amazing and for a few years the best CB. He IMO was probably the best "shut down corner". BUT, I would still take Green over Deion. Green never gave up on a play, never quit and was never afraid of making a tackle. Green never talked about how great he was non stop like Prime Time did and still does. Green was loyal, and most importantly, Green was a Redskin. Green made his team better for many years, Deion made the highligts.:logo:

Green, the question asked was who was the better cornerback, so im disregarding special teams play.

Not only did Darrell truly shut down his side of the field, to passing and running, but he was a team leader and made everyone around him better for years. Deion is and was a mercenary that teammates put up with because he was a great cornerback.

both had their important returns and clutch plays. Deion obviously had more big plays, but when it came to crunch time, they both pulled through. I have nothing against Deion other than his Cowboys playing years. However, I would obviously choose Green as he coulda started on any team when he retired, but remained the nickel guy for 3 seasons towards the end.

Guest Matt Kyriacou
Originally posted by flashback

I'd be interested to see the stats when Darrell Green and Michael Irvin went head-to-head. I seem to recall Irvin having some monster games against Green, but my memory may be a little faulty there. :)

Well, I also remember the year that Irvin had 2 catches for 12 yards total in the two games that we played against Dallas that season. It was 95 or 96 I think.

They both were great corners, one was loud and mouthy, one just did his job, and was the fastest man in football for many years. If I had a choice I would pick DG over DS any day of the year. DG was a team player, was looked at by the younger players as a role model, a team leader and the type of player you want on your team for a long time.

Originally posted by flashback

I'd be interested to see the stats when Darrell Green and Michael Irvin went head-to-head. I seem to recall Irvin having some monster games against Green, but my memory may be a little faulty there. :)

The Irvin/Green matchup changed the way refs called the game. Irvin's patented push off was largely developed against Green, b/c it was the only way he could get Green off him.

If I were a coach and looked at it 3 different ways I would choose Green in all 3.

Drafting a CB out of college based on the better football player.

Taking a CB for an entire career.

Taking a CB for one game.

Sanders in his prime was a better cover corner no doubt. That however is only part of the equation. Sanders was a terrible tackler and you could run the ball down his throat. The combination of both skills gives the advantage to Green.

You can also debate all the intangibles and say that Green wins most of them as well.

:2cents:

Green. His cover skills weren't as good as Deion's but he forced the run inside as well as any corner who ever played. Green was all about team and heart, whereas Deion was all about self and hype.

I believe both are first ballot HOFers

~Bang

Originally posted by GSF

I think DG was better overall in their primes. You're right that Deion was more feared, and more explosive, but DG was the whole package. He could neutralize the best receivers in the league, he could tackle and was tough in run support, and he was dangerous on returns if needed.

Essentially the only area where DG bested Deion was in tackling.

Cover skills is a wash.

Deion has the advantage in the return game.

Add to that Deion put more points on the board and I think it gives him the slight edge.

Darrell was a Great returner too, but coaches only let him return in BIG games. Don't forget that big TD plays rearly happend vs. Darrell, because he could run them down before it got to a td AND he could take them down.

As somewhat of an impartial viewer, I hope to add my opinion here. I think it's hard to analyze that fairly, because Green played longer at a more consistent level than Sanders did. It is tough to weigh that type of longevity in the equation. It adds a twist into the "which corner had a better career" question. If that is the question at hand, you could make a case for either player, based simply on preference (gritty versus flash).

That being said, if I were to say who was better in their prime, than I would have to go with Sanders. I've never seen a corner dominate the side of the field like he has. Though he was far from the most physical player in the game, his toughness was rarely tested because of the lack of passes thrown his way. I'm not attempting to slight Green, since he is, undoubtedly, a hall of fame cornerback, but I'd take Sanders in their respective primes.

Actually, when facing the best wideouts in the history of the game, even at an old age Darrell Green came out on top or drew even.

When facing Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders got smoked on a regular basis.

Instead of analyzing how Green did against "push-off" Irvin, how about analyzing the fact Moss said "he's the best I've ever gone against" when Green was in his LATE THIRTIES.

Or how about Rice's opinion of Green and how well Green played him?

Archived