get everyones opinion on this. If it was my choice i would have to

choose Darrel Green. He covered some of the greatest recivers of

all time like Andre Reed, Jerry Rice, Isaac bruce, Chris Carter and

so on. When dein came to the skins Darrel Green played much

better against opposing teams then he did. Darrel Green would

shut down one whole side of the field by himself. Well you guys

feel free to give me some feed back.:dallasuck

Originally posted by laurent

Deion is the better corner, Green however is the better football player by far.

I think as corners, they were closer in talent, but as overall football players, it wasnt close.

Deion was great at everything.

Returning kicks, punts, etc...

Not to say Green wasnt, but Deion was better.

Not to mention the occasional WR play by Primetime.

think about this, deion right now is a fringe player, Darrell at 37 was still one of the leagues best players.

HeHateMe, just cause Deion returned More kicks doesn't make him better overall, the amount of returns you get and when you get them is a product of coaches philosophy, and Deion was good at a lot of things, but not everything... like tackling, or run support.

Originally posted by panel

think about this, deion right now is a fringe player, Darrell at 37 was still one of the leagues best players.

HeHateMe, just cause Deion returned More kicks doesn't make him better overall, the amount of returns you get and when you get them is a product of coaches philosophy, and Deion was good at a lot of things, but not everything... like tackling, or run support.

As an overall football player, I'm taking Deion.

The intangibles, the ability to score whenever he touched the ball, and the complete shut down of one side of the field made him so valuable.

Dont get me wrong, DG was great.

But I'm taking Deion based on the total package.

The better corner?

Green.

We never know how good Green would have been if he was a full time punt returner. Gibbs knew he was too valuable to risk that.

As far as interceptions...I think Sanders was just challenged more:)

Besides, Deion was playing soccer out there. He was afraid to get hit.

Originally posted by qb18_200400

deion wasgood, don't get me wrong, but man, he was always in the right place at the right time.

given greens ability to cover WR's that were as much as 7 inches taller then he was and alot bigger, I have to say Green.

Isnt that being a good CB is being there at the right time?

Also height has nothing to do with this, It was his job just to cover guys that where 7 inches taller, just because he had to make up for being short doesnt make him a better corner.

I believe you asked any non biased skins fan, like an overall NFL fan or guys that used to play during the guys era would heavily pick Deion. He took away half the field and hardly got thrown on, from when he started in ATL until his last couple years in Dallas

I would take Deion. He would shut down an offence and then watch a punter shank a 25 yard punt because they were trying to kick away from him.

I remember an interview with an NFC west coach (I think for the saints way back). He said that he had to stress to his young QBs that they couldn’t throw against Deion EVEN IF THE WR WAS OPEN. He said Deion would let a WR get a few steps to bait the QBs into throwing and then just catch up and pick off the ball. He could toy with QBs and WRs at the hardest position to play in the NFL. If you threw against him you were more likely to give up a TD than score one. He was also a three way player and probably the best PR in history.

I will say this. Deion was not as loyal as Green. I would rather have Green for 15 years then Deion for 5.

I think Green was better because even at the end when he didn't have all the athletic ability he had when he was younger, he could still shut guys down (i.e. David Boston, first game of his last year) Deon at this point can't cover anybody.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

As an overall football player, I'm taking Deion.

The intangibles, the ability to score whenever he touched the ball, and the complete shut down of one side of the field made him so valuable.

Dont get me wrong, DG was great.

But I'm taking Deion based on the total package.

If you are going to take the "total package" then you have to take the "total package". Deion may have had great skills as a corner back and punt returner, but you have to count the other things as well; such as when Deion goes into "self preservation" mode. A selfish act. You never ever saw Green go into "self preservation mode". In his last game, he returned a punt (and nearly scored). A selfless act condsidering how dangerous returning a punt at his age could have been.

Saunders was all about himself; he was never a "team" guy. I would venture to say he was the prototype for today's free-agent player.

As far as "skills" go, I would put Green up against Saunders any time.

Originally posted by GSF

Deion had much better hands, and was better at making pics b/c of his tremendous ability to bait QBs. Green was better at everything else.

I guess that is why Green had interceptions 19 years in a row. Hands like bricks.

It would have been twenty years in a row, but Trotter blocked a pass that Green was all set to intercept. Stupid Trotter.

Hey. D.G. was the better "corner" imho. There are several responsibilities involved in that position. Let's be general and go 2. Very easy. Covering. Both played the postition as good as any could. Darrell was a "shut down corner" before the term was even a household name and before Deion. Now that in of itself does not make him the better of the 2, but it does tend to go unremembered in debates such as this. Care to dig up a few quotes from Sims and Michael I. on D.G. ? They'll tell you plenty. I find them to be about even. Both played up and back, but Deion, due to his size did have an advantage there.

The other, ( obviously), is the run. Do Good, by accounts in the media and from what I watched, was better in run coverage. He played the run much more physically than Deion did for the most part and was the better tackler. One has to consider both of these when judging the better corner. One get's more press, the other unnoticed but every bit as important. D.G. was the better corner base on this imho.

In his prime Deion was the most dangerous multi-purpose player in the history of football.

No player was as feared both on D, and in the return game as Deion.

When Deion picked a ball off you EXPECTED him to take it back all the way.

Green is the model for consistancy, but if you compare prime-to-prime (no pun intended) Deion was the best CB, and the most dangerous weapon to ever play the game.

Archived