62 members have voted

1. 1. Those crazy celebs

• TomCruise (+ Katie, package deal)
    • Mike Tyson
    • Michael Jckson
    • Nick Nolte
    • other

Originally posted by kroiz

Yes, I remember that game. Funny how you failed to mention that Green was flagged for PI after practically tackling Moss which resulted in the ball being placed on the 1 yard line and a Vikings TD.

Skins vs Vikes 1998

Ooooh, 1 PI call? STOP THE PRESSES! It turns out that 1 PI call can define your whole career against 1 WR.

:rolleyes:

One other thing, Bailey's and Springs tackle numbers are probably so high because they mostly played on lousy defenses. Most of their tackles were made in the secondary where as Green made a lot of tackles up near the LOS.

The Redskins defenses back in those days weren't exactly dominant either.

As a Cowboys' fan, I would most definitely say Darrell Green. Sanders was fast, but I don't think even he could have ran down Dorsett streaking down the sidelines for what should have been a sure 6 points!:mad:

Sanders definitely had more highlight fodder, but Green had the more consistent and "effective" career.

If I were in need of a hired gun at CB to win a Super Bowl I would probably take Sanders, but if I were building a team for the long haul I would have taken Green. Green was the epitome of a "class act" and should be the standard for players in the league today.

There are not many Redskins players for whom I would be proud to own one of their jerseys, but Darrell Green is definitely one of them. (Actually, he's probably the only one...)

Originally posted by goskins

They match up differently.....

Green was better at stopping guy via tackle (Sanders always tried to tackle a guy by pulling on their jersey and waiting for somebody else to tackle them.

It's a hard call, I don't like Deion but he's a soild player.....both are HOFers.

Sanders wouldn't even attempt a tackle unless he was near the sideline, he would either jump out of the way or he would run along untill he was near enough to the sideline to push the ball carrier out.

Green put his team before his body.

Both were great cover guys, both were more than just DBs.

Green sported one uniform.

Neon Deion went wherever the money took him.

Originally posted by mookie0720

The Redskins defenses back in those days weren't exactly dominant either.

Are you kidding? It was a hell of a lot better than it was during the Norv years.

Originally posted by Henry

Well, that may be because by the time Irvin was emerging as the top WR on the Cowboys, Green was 31 years old.

This is the problem I often see when comparing Green to Sanders. Green played and started for so long that people think of his play in the 90s as his play in his prime (see Eagles-Legendz post.) They don't remember that in the 80s Petibone would put Green on the opposing offense's top WR, ignore him, and then just coach his other 10 guys. That is the definition of a 'shut down' corner. In the early 80s it was Green. In the late 80s it was Woodsen and Green. In the early 90s it was Sanders and Green.

If you want to look at Green in mid-late 90s, you have to look at Deion NOW, and Green was MUCH better at that point in his career.

Personally, I never saw a cover corner as good as Green. He stuck to the opposing WR like glue. Sometimes a perfect throw and a perfect catch would beat him, but it wouldn't be because Darrell wasn't there. Deion payed the game differently. He'd give a cushion. He could cover well, but he'd also sometimes bait the opposing QB into throwing his way and use his amazing ability to make the play anyway. He was so dangerous at doing this that even if he was out of position on a certain play the QB wouldn't throw his way anyway. It was a different style than Green, but it worked just fine.

Green was also a much more complete defenseman. His rookie year he led the team in tackles, and he was always in on a play that involved his side of the field. His ability to chase down anyone, from Tony Dorsett to Barry Sanders to Curtis Martin, was unparalleled, and probably saved as many TDs as that old high-stepper Deion scored.

Whatever their playing style, either CB in his prime is a top choice. I'm a Redskin fan, so I'd take Green for his durability, longevity and the fact that he never took a play off. Plus he doesn't come across as a pompous ass, which I personally find more tasteful. :)

This is a good post Henry. This is a tough call. I was able to witness DG's entire career a little closer than Deion's. Deion was not as dominate entering the league as DG nor is he finishing his career with the same consistency. However, for about a 5 to 6 year stretch, I've never seen anybody play the position like Deion. Contrary to popular belief, Deion was and is an excellent teamate. Entire body of work though, gotta go with DG. He was a class act although Irvin used to smoke him :)

Originally posted by TCR

As a Cowboys' fan, I would most definitely say Darrell Green. Sanders was fast, but I don't think even he could have ran down Dorsett streaking down the sidelines for what should have been a sure 6 points!:mad:

Sanders definitely had more highlight fodder, but Green had the more consistent and "effective" career.

If I were in need of a hired gun at CB to win a Super Bowl I would probably take Sanders, but if I were building a team for the long haul I would have taken Green. Green was the epitome of a "class act" and should be the standard for players in the league today.

There are not many Redskins players for whom I would be proud to own one of their jerseys, but Darrell Green is definitely one of them. (Actually, he's probably the only one...)

well said.

As a Redskins fan, I have respect for Deon as a great corner in his day, but then I'll see an interview with him and a little respect goes right out the window each time.

Originally posted by GSF

Are you kidding? It was a hell of a lot better than it was during the Norv years.

I wanted to edit and say we were good in 91, but many of the D's he played on during the 80's were not good, and well, we know how bad they were during the Norv era......

Originally posted by Tommy-the-Greek

If I were a coach and looked at it 3 different ways I would choose Green in all 3.

Drafting a CB out of college based on the better football player.

How?

Deion was one of the better college players of all time.

He was a 2 time 1st team All-American, and was 3rd team All-American another time and won the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's best DB.

He was also the most dangerous return man in the country at the time and set every punt return record at FSU.

Sanders also played against some of the best competition D1 has to offer playing at FSU.

Darrell came from a small school and had many lingering questions about his size and durability. He was also relatively unknown to the general public at the time.

You can argue that Darrell had a better pro career and you would take him over Deion from that, but arguing that Darrell was the better pro prospect coming out of college couldn't be further from the truth.

In fact one of the things that made him so special was that he did have all these doubts and proved all those people wrong who said he was too short, too skinny, and played against poor competition.

Originally posted by HeHateMe

I think as corners, they were closer in talent, but as overall football players, it wasnt close.

Deion was great at everything.

Returning kicks, punts, etc...

Not to say Green wasnt, but Deion was better.

Not to mention the occasional WR play by Primetime.

You must be young, my friend. Green was a great punt returner....Ask a Bears fan, lol. Green was a great "football player", and a great "defensive back". Deion was a great "shutdown cornerback".

Originally posted by mookie0720

Everyone getting all worked up over this argument is ridiculous.

Both guys are first ballot HOF'ers.

The difference in overall ability/value between them is SLIM at best either way.

That's very true. A legitimate argument could be made for either, which is why we are having this discussion in the first place.

My beef has never been that some people think Deion was the better player. It's what some of those people base this opinion on that tends to get me 'worked up.' This apparently prevalent belief that Green was an above average player for a really long time, rather than an elite player for a long time followed by an above average player for a long time. It is the same rationale HOF voters have been using to keep Art Monk out of the Hall. I hate to see the same inaccurate judgement leveled upon Green, especially by Redskin fans who should really know better.

Originally posted by kroiz

Yes, I remember that game. Funny how you failed to mention that Green was flagged for PI after practically tackling Moss which resulted in the ball being placed on the 1 yard line and a Vikings TD.

I remember that. I also remember Cunningham throwing deep to Moss 3 times and the other two times he was blanketed for an incomplete pass. All the while, Moss was beating double and triple teams deep that whole season.

Tell me why Deion always had an excuse whenever Dallas played Minnesota? Out of all the times Moss destroyed the Cowboys, Deion was only on the field in one game and he only covered him for 6 plays. He always had some little nagging injury that would put him out the game. Turf toe, or a sore hamstring. Darrell covered Moss for every play except for 9 plays, and most caught the majority of his 5 passes in that time.

Originally posted by CowboyzSuckAzz

Ooooh, 1 PI call? STOP THE PRESSES! It turns out that 1 PI call can define your whole career against 1 WR.

:rolleyes:

And Darrell was injured that game. That is the equivalent of me bringing up Marvin Harrison torching Deion on a 40 yard fly pattern when Deion pulled up lame with a hamstring pull. Although if any watched that game, Deion had already been beat by AT LEAST 10 YARDS by Harrison before he grabbed his hamstring.

For those who choose Deion over Darrell, answer these questions for me?

1. Did you watch Darrell Green for 1983-1991? If you did, then you would have a very different opinion on this subject.

2. How is Deion's exploits in punt returning relevant in a question about which was the better cornerback? I've seen posters compare each players touchdowns and add in Deion's returning touchdowns. Stop twisting facts and get down to the real grit of this discussion.

3. Have you ever seen Deion come from across the field and chase down a player, WHO WAS NOT HIS ASSIGNMENT, and save a touchdown? I can't, but I can name at least four players Darrell did that to. Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Napoleon Kaufman, and Curtis Martin. Except for Martin, the other three running backs ran in the 4.2/sub4.3 range.

4. Can you name how many times on one hand where Deion actually made a run support tackle behind, within or around the LOS? I can name one, when he brought down Stephen Davis back in '99. No where near the amount of times Darrell Green would do that IN A GAME.

5. Can you at least admit that it's possible Deion was actually beaten on some of those many plays where QBs assumed his was baiting them? Darrell never even gave the QB the choice, he could see his best reciever wasn't open clear enough.

Now if you still think Deion was the better corner, then I'll leave you with my last question. 6. If Darrell Green ran his mouth about how great he was everytime the red light on a camera turned on the way Deion did, would you still think Deion was better?

Case closed.

Originally posted by budski

Once again I must remind everyone the quote from Phil Simms

"Coach Parcells told me if I even look like I was going to throw in D. Greens direction he would personnelly come on to the field and take me out"

Sorry had to quote myself.

I love that quote, now thats a shutdown cornerback.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

1. Did you watch Darrell Green for 1983-1991? If you did, then you would have a very different opinion on this subject.

2. How is Deion's exploits in punt returning relevant in a question about which was the better cornerback? I've seen posters compare each players touchdowns and add in Deion's returning touchdowns. Stop twisting facts and get down to the real grit of this discussion.

3. Have you ever seen Deion come from across the field and chase down a player, WHO WAS NOT HIS ASSIGNMENT, and save a touchdown? I can't, but I can name at least four players Darrell did that to. Tony Dorsett, Eric Dickerson, Napoleon Kaufman, and Curtis Martin. Except for Martin, the other three running backs ran in the 4.2/sub4.3 range.

4. Can you name how many times on one hand where Deion actually made a run support tackle behind, within or around the LOS? I can name one, when he brought down Stephen Davis back in '99. No where near the amount of times Darrell Green would do that IN A GAME.

5. Can you at least admit that it's possible Deion was actually beaten on some of those many plays where QBs assumed his was baiting them? Darrell never even gave the QB the choice, he could see his best reciever wasn't open clear enough.

Now if you still think Deion was the better corner, then I'll leave you with my last question. 6. If Darrell Green ran his mouth about how great he was everytime the red light on a camera turned on the way Deion did, would you still think Deion was better?

Case closed.

Good post.

Originally posted by Gamebreaker

Is it ok if I answer a question with a question?

Why were four CBs named to the all decade team of the 80's and none of them were named Darrell Green?

Bias?

http://wap.nfl.com/history/legends/1980s

Both made the all decade team of he 90s.

Green was a great player, but he wasnt better in the 80s than Prime Time was in the 90s. You can argue that he had a better career, but he wasnt the impact player that Deion was on a game to game basis.

Archived