62 members have voted

1. 1. Those crazy celebs

• TomCruise (+ Katie, package deal)
    • Mike Tyson
    • Michael Jckson
    • Nick Nolte
    • other

Originally posted by budski

Henry put it correctly if you compare Sanders now at his age to Green at the same age there is no comparision Green wins easily.

How so Dion was making int's last year and playing well after a few years layed off and turf toe.

Green was moved to nickle and replaced by a young and raw Smoot

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

How so Dion was making int's last year and playing well after a few years layed off and turf toe.

Wait. What was your screenname again?

Being objective.

No need to question the faithfulness

Its like admiting another women has better breasts than your wifes. You still would take your wife over the other women but you can apprciate good breasts:)

:laugh:

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

When facing Jerry Rice, Deion Sanders got smoked on a regular basis.

Ok, I admit my bias as a long time Falcon fan, but this is flat out wrong. Yes, I remember a painful day in 1990 when Joe Montana threw for 500 yards and 5 Tds vs the Falcons. But the player that was victimized that day was a CB named Charles Dimry. Simply put Montana picked on the other side of the field for the whole game.

I do remember a Monday night encounter in 1992 vs San Fran that showcased Rice vs Sanders. Jerry did get some catches but in the end Deion iced the game by 'baiting' Steve Young to throw to Rice and then turning on the speed and picking off the pass in the end zone. No other CB has ever allowed Jerry Rice to get open and then intercept the pass. I know Green owned the NFL's Fastest Man while it was around but I really would have loved to see Sanders participate. He never did, he was off playing baseball. IMO I don't think Green would have swept the series every year had Deion been involved.

Also there is no way that the talent around Deion while on the Falcons was remotely close to what Green enjoyed during the Gibbs years. The Redskins back then owned both LOS and could generate pressure on the QB. Deion had to cover WRs for 4+ seconds while the Falcon Dline was pancaked. Deion was always in man to man because the only way the Falcons could get to the QB was by sending the house. During Deion's time with the 9ers and Pokes it was highlight reel footage if a WR even caught a pass on him. I remember Green having trouble with Irvin in Irvin's hey day.

I know we all look at our favorite team's players with a bit of a jaded eye. But in reality this isn't even close. I doubt there are many NFL execs, GMs or scouts that would take Green in his prime over Sanders, save ones employed by the Redskins during Green's playing days.

Originally posted by essex03

No contest. Darrell tackled.

Deion scored.

Which do you consider more important?

Everyone acts like Sanders NEVER tackled.

Well Darrell wasn't exactly a regular Ray Lewis out there himself.

Obviously it was the weakest area of his (Sanders') game, but he still amassed 324 tackles in 12 seasons.

Green had 527 in 12 seasons, which is roughly 16 tackles per season better than Sanders, or 1 tackle per game better than Sanders.

Hell, the much hated Champ Bailey already has 374 tackles in only 6 seasons.

Shawn Springs has 394 tackles over 8 seasons.

Green was a better tackler than Sanders, but not to the point to where it overshadows the fact that Deion was equal in coverage, and scored 22 TD's to Green's 6.

Both players are first ballot hall of famers, but the overall impact Deion had on the game gives him the nod.

Originally posted by kroiz

Ok, I admit my bias as a long time Falcon fan, but this is flat out wrong. Yes, I remember a painful day in 1990 when Joe Montana threw for 500 yards and 5 Tds vs the Falcons. But the player that was victimized that day was a CB named Charles Dimry. Simply put Montana picked on the other side of the field for the whole game.

I do remember a Monday night encounter in 1992 vs San Fran that showcased Rice vs Sanders. Jerry did get some catches but in the end Deion iced the game by 'baiting' Steve Young to throw to Rice and then turning on the speed and picking off the pass in the end zone. No other CB has ever allowed Jerry Rice to get open and then intercept the pass. I know Green owned the NFL's Fastest Man while it was around but I really would have loved to see Sanders participate. He never did, he was off playing baseball. IMO I don't think Green would have swept the series every year had Deion been involved.

Also there is no way that the talent around Deion while on the Falcons was remotely close to what Green enjoyed during the Gibbs years. The Redskins back then owned both LOS and could generate pressure on the QB. Deion had to cover WRs for 4+ seconds while the Falcon Dline was pancaked. Deion was always in man to man because the only way the Falcons could get to the QB was by sending the house. During Deion's time with the 9ers and Pokes it was highlight reel footage if a WR even caught a pass on him. I remember Green having trouble with Irvin in Irvin's hey day.

I know we all look at our favorite team's players with a bit of a jaded eye. But in reality this isn't even close. I doubt there are many NFL execs, GMs or scouts that would take Green in his prime over Sanders, save ones employed by the Redskins during Green's playing days.

Take a look at the Pro Bowl Roster of the teams Deion was on vs the teams Green was on. Even with the time in Atlanta, Deion played with more Pro Bowlers players than Green. Deion had the better supporting cast.

In his prime, Green never had another db on his team make the Pro Bowl. Only Bailey, in Green's final two seasons. Deion however had Rod Woodson make the Pro Bowl with him and without him.

Green was the man on the island, not Deion.

:logo:

Originally posted by mookie0720

Deion scored.

Obviously it was the weakest area of his (Sanders') game, but he still amassed 324 tackles in 12 seasons.

Green had 527 in 12 seasons, which is roughly 16 tackles per season better than Sanders, or 1 tackle per game better than Sanders.

Green was a better tackler than Sanders, but not to the point to where it overshadows the fact that Deion was equal in coverage, and scored 22 TD's to Green's 6.

Both players are first ballot hall of famers, but the overall impact Deion had on the game gives him the nod.

When people say Deion cant tackle they usually are talking about making tackles on running plays. Deion was a liability against the run.

Green was not a liabliity. He was an asset to the entire defense not just the pass.

Those tackling stats are missleading. The stats are total tackles. That includes recievers after they have caught the ball.

And the question was CB, not punt returner or kick returner.

Green 6 TD on INT

Deion 9 TD's on INT

A lot closer than 22 would make it seem.

:logo:

Uhhh...did someone say Deion was by himself?

WHEN?

He had great players on every team INCLUDING on Atlanta with the sometimes great Tim McKyer

Do you know how Deion played with on defense in San Fran?!?

Tim mcDonald, Merton Hanks, Toi Cook (that's in the backfield, I won't even go to the rest of the D)

In 95 when Dallas won the SB, he only played 9 games and didn't return any kicks or INTs for TDs

Someone already pointed out that Deion got smoked by Skins WRs in 91. But he gets excused for it..because?

He had Scott Case, Brian Jordan and Tim Mckyer in the Falcons secondary! Oh, and Bobby Butler off the bench lol! And he still got beat by the best receivers, BADLY on some occasions.

Sure, Deion had a great year in that SB run with the Niners and was 'feared' when with Dallas, but that's only a handful of years. When Deion was with Atlanta he got beat regularly.

This just proves that flash means everything for the unsophisticated and undiscerning football fan. It's why Art isn't in the Hall.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

No. When Green was Deion's age he was not moved to nickle. He was the #1 corner on his team and went to the pro-bowl. He wasn't moved to nickle for another three years.

Deion scored.

I'd say tackling is more important than scoring in a defensive player. Deion scored 3 more TDs on INTs than DG did. Not a big difference there. DG came up and played very tough against the run, compared to Deion who was afraid of contact.

One other thing, Bailey's and Springs tackle numbers are probably so high because they mostly played on lousy defenses. Most of their tackles were made in the secondary where as Green made a lot of tackles up near the LOS.

Again, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Mookie, you DO know Green played for 20 seasons, don't you? I can only assume you looked this info up on sportline.com because they don't provide the stats for Greens first eight seasons when he was in his prime. Those 527 tackles to which you refer were made when Green was 30-42 years old. And he STILL averaged more that Deion in his prime.

Over his FIRST eight seasons, Green racked up 568 tackles. Of course, those seasons include a strike year and a season in which he missed 9 games to injury.

When it came to tackling, it wasn't even close. It wasn't even close to close. Compared to Green, Sanders never tackled. (Hell, compared to Green Springs never tackled.)

And yeah, it was like Green was Ray Lewis out there. For CBs anyway.

For God's sake people, STOP comparing Green's second ten years to Deions first. Green deserves better than that.

Originally posted by Ghost of Nibbs McPimpin

Uhhh...did someone say Deion was by himself?

WHEN?

He had great players on every team INCLUDING on Atlanta with the sometimes great Tim McKyer.

Deion was by himself while in Atlanta. McKyer was Ok, but he was the one teams went after. Jessie Tuggle was there who was a good player. Brain Jordan was decent. Scott Case was a joke, he was John Lynch of the early 90's, couldn't cover but occasionally blew people up. Believe me as a Falcon fan I couldn't stand Scott Case playing for us. He constantly missed tackles, couldn't cover me but idiot fans loved the hits he sometimes laid out. There was not one player on the Falcons Dline from that period that could have played for the Redskins.

I should have said I was speaking solely about the Falcons when discussing Sanders and the talent around him, my bad.

Darrell would never admit it, but it is an insult to be compared to Peion.

Sanders had talent, but he never had the heart or loyalty to anything other than the dollar.

in 98, 15 years after coming into the league, Darrell shutdown Randy Moss, i think he had 5 catches for like 60 yards or something and no TD's...and YES, that is shutting down randy moss.

of course we got blown out that game cuz our other corner couldn't keep up with carter...but i digress...

:cheers:

:wewantd: :dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd: :dallasuck :dallasuck :wewantd:

When the most dangerous WR in the League does an interview with ESPN & says that the only CB that gives him a hard time is Darrell Green (while Deion was playing & getting scorched everytime Randy Moss faced him-wasn't he AVERAGING 3 TDs a GAME against Dallas...Deion?). Darrell was , what...37? 38? when Moss said that? Isn't Deion just NOW 38 & he's already retired once & changed how many teams? C'mon. This is so simple, a 4 year old can do this. Darrell had QBs so afraid of him, they stopped throwing his direction period. Opposing teams had "Darrell" playbooks. FOR 20 YEARS! He was the fastest man in the NFL for what, 7 years in a row? AND...he tackled. I mean, he could HIT you. Like Sean Taylor hits, only not nearly as reckless. He would make you think you hit a wall. I've seen him knock some guys to the ground like they were nothin'. Then lend them his hand to help them up. Deion isn't exactly known for his hitting abilities. Now, I will say that Deion was a better baseball player then Darrell, but when it comes to football, I'd bet Green would STILL smoke his azz.

Once a Cowpuke, ALWAYS a Cowpuke! :dallasuck

Originally posted by big z

Sanders had talent, but he never had the heart or loyalty to anything other than the dollar.

in 98, 15 years after coming into the league, Darrell shutdown Randy Moss, i think he had 5 catches for like 60 yards or something and no TD's...and YES, that is shutting down randy moss.

of course we got blown out that game cuz our other corner couldn't keep up with carter...but i digress...

:cheers:

I remember he had hurt his shoulder that game? and he was still covering and laying himself out .....

So heres the formula:

Take the 1st 8 years off of Rices Career.

Then take Randy Moss and compare them.

*Looks like a tie to me*

1998 Minnesota Vikings 16 11 69 1313 19.0 61 17 20 14 51

1999 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 80 1413 17.7 67 11 26 8 52

2000 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 77 1437 18.7 78 15 25 8 58

2001 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 82 1233 15.0 73 10 14 4 59

2002 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 106 1347 12.7 60 7 19 6 66

2003 Minnesota Vikings 16 16 111 1632 14.7 72 17 27 6 76

2004 Minnesota Vikings 13 13 49 767 15.7 82 13 11 6 43

1993 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 98 1503 15.3 80 15 24 6 72

1994 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 112 1499 13.4 69 13 21 3 77

1995 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 122 1848 15.1 81 15 25 10 75

1996 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 108 1254 11.6 39 8 11 0 72

1997 San Francisco 49ers 2 1 7 78 11.1 16 1 0 0 4

1998 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 82 1157 14.1 75 9 13 4 55

1999 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 67 830 12.4 62 5 7 4 41

2000 San Francisco 49ers 16 16 75 805 10.7 68 7 8 1 48

2001 Oakland Raiders 16 15 83 1139 13.7 40 9 18 2 62

2002 Oakland Raiders 16 16 92 1211 13.2 75 7 12 3 59

2003 Oakland Raiders 16 15 63 869 13.8 47 2 13 1 44

2004 Seattle Seahawks 17 14 30 429 14.3 56 3 5 1 21

Wow: take 8 years off of Rice it looks like Moss is going to crush him.... Amazing how that works...

Originally posted by Henry

Again, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

Mookie, you DO know Green played for 20 seasons, don't you? I can only assume you looked this info up on sportline.com because they don't provide the stats for Greens first eight seasons when he was in his prime. Those 527 tackles to which you refer were made when Green was 30-42 years old. And he STILL averaged more that Deion in his prime.

Over his FIRST eight seasons, Green racked up 568 tackles. Of course, those seasons include a strike year and a season in which he missed 9 games to injury.

When it came to tackling, it wasn't even close. It wasn't even close to close. Compared to Green, Sanders never tackled. (Hell, compared to Green Springs never tackled.)

And yeah, it was like Green was Ray Lewis out there. For CBs anyway.

For God's sake people, STOP comparing Green's second ten years to Deions first. Green deserves better than that.

I totally agree. :cheers:

Darrell Green Period. Deion was a sports hoe. Hopping from team to team. Green has endured the good and bad with the Skins. Green coulda danced and gloated just like Deion but he chose to stay basically humble which doesn't get you endorsements and hype. I can remember Deion and the Falcons getting torched by the Flipper Anderson and the Rams. I can remember the posse torching him and Atlanta twice. People use the term shut down but he didn't become better until he got with the 49ers and Cowbums.

Oh, BS. Sanders was the best CB of his era. I know it's a Redskin site but get over it.

Sanders had talent, but he never had the heart or loyalty to anything other than the dollar.[/b]

No, he left Atlanta because he wanted to pursue a championship. If Green was in his prime when FA began in 1993 do you really think he would have wanted to stay and toil in Washing IF the Redskins looked as hopeless as Atlanta did at that period and Green did not already have super bowl rings?

in 98, 15 years after coming into the league, Darrell shutdown Randy Moss, i think he had 5 catches for like 60 yards or something and no TD's...and YES, that is shutting down randy moss.[/b]

Yes, I remember that game. Funny how you failed to mention that Green was flagged for PI after practically tackling Moss which resulted in the ball being placed on the 1 yard line and a Vikings TD.

Skins vs Vikes 1998

Oh, BS. Sanders was the best CB of his era. I know it's a Redskin site but get over it.

in your espn mind, maybe.

No, he left Atlanta because he wanted to pursue a championship. If Green was in his prime when FA began in 1993 do you really think he would have wanted to stay and toil in Washing IF the Redskins looked as hopeless as Atlanta did at that period and Green did not already have super bowl rings?

hey, fact is? going got tough and deion ran for the loot....spin it however you want...

and yes, he did help win a championship SF, but as soon as Jerry ponied up, lates.

Yes, I remember that game. Funny how you failed to mention that Green was flagged for PI after practically tackling Moss which resulted in the ball being placed on the 1 yard line and a Vikings TD.

thanks for the article link man...it had some great stuff...

Green, the 5-foot-8 cornerback in his 16th season with the Redskins, shrugged off a sore knee and a sore shoulder and usually blanketed the Vikings' dynamic rookie wide receiver, 6-4 Randy Moss.
An offensive pass interference call against Carter for pushing off Green nullified an apparent touchdown.

and here's your gem....

Green, defending Moss, was called for interference to put the ball on the Redskins 1, and Hoard bulled his way into the end zone on second down.

hey, your right, i didn't remember that...

but he kept him out of the endzone didn't he? i'd have to see the play brah...

but feel free to put up some comparable shutdown stats of Dee on Moss....

Archived