Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stupid **** Wilbon Says

Riggo#44

Michael Wilbon has joined the Hall of Stupid, with Colin Cowherd, Steven A. Smith, Skip Bayless, and several others.

Given his history here and his frequent bashing of DC and our teams, we need a thread to collect and remind everyone what a collossal dip**** Wilbon is.

Deadspin lampoons this douche

Isn't this a "loser mentality?"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/05/10/michael-wilbon-calls-d-c-a-minor-league-sports-town-after-caps-celebration-deep-sigh/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.9f1da1afe311

**** this guy: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/27/AR2007112702680.html

43 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Michael Wilbon has joined the Hall of Stupid, with Colin Cowherd, Steven A. Smith, Skip Bayless, and several others.

"has joined"???  Wilbon's been a headliner in the Hall of Stupid for 20 years.  So glad he's out of this town, although it's nice of him to pop back in and lecture Caps fans about how they shouldn't celebrate too much after finally knocking off their blood nemesis in the playoffs.  A-hole.

I cant really blame Wilbon.  Hes a smart guy who learned that the media is about being outrageous more than it is informed.  Its why we are talking about guys like him and bayless rather than, say, ross tucker, probably the smartest guy in football

I don't know what Wilbon's deal is. He made his career here in D.C. He got famous being a WASHINGTON based writer for the WASHINGTON Post. His PTI show with Kornheiser was based off the debates he'd have with Tony in the Post offices. Yet, since he's left D.C., he's made it his mission in life to trash our town every chance he gets. What an absolute tool.

Michael Wilbon Is A Gutless, Star****ing Crybaby Troll

Drew Magary

10/05/12 10:55am

Filed to: WHORES

18185oxfroqsojpg.jpg

For the past three decades, Mike Wilbon has earned a living barely disguising his contempt for you, the filthy peasant sports fan. Whether boasting to the world how unsurprised he was about Sean Taylor being murdered, or chastising you for looking to him for gossip from his White House partygoing, or pissing and moaning about people who like watching the NFL draft, Wilbon is one of the last stubborn holdouts of the old media era, when sportswriters labored under the delusion that they mattered.

https://deadspin.com/5949239/michael-wilbon-is-a-gutless-star****ing-crybaby-troll?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

yikes

His take on deGrom is stupid and ignorant.  It's hilarious that he brings up Bob Gibson who had a great ERA for one season (1.12) and then talks about winning the game.  Bob Gibson lost 9 games that year when he was essentially as perfect as a starting pitcher could ever be.  He should have had closer to 30 wins but didn't because his team didn't score him any runs.  

That is obviously lost on Wilbon who doesn't seem to understand the concept of run support.  deGrom is having a great season and probably does deserve the Cy Young (but I hope Scherzer gets it, go hometown team).

I will say, I'd hate to be a sports broadcaster or whatever you call Wilbon.  Was a great writer at one point, he and Kornheiser were good reads.  Sometimes I go back on the WaPo archives and read their stuff.  I recently read Kornheiser's Bandwagon columns from 1991.  A little bit of gonzo wannabe Hunter S. Thompson journalism but still fun.

But to have to come up with opinions and **** to talk about each day on air, that's probably not easy.  I'd actually bet that Wilbon doesn't even really care about deGrom and who wins the NL Cy but he's gotta make a stand and he's gotta do it vehemently because that's what he's paid to do.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

His hatred of statistics/analytics is also highly disturbing.

He's not even hating on statistics when it comes to that rant he made about deGrom, he's just making a case for being a dumb baseball fan.

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

It really takes someone stuck in the 80s to argue win/loss record for a pitcher matters. 

For individual seasons it doesn't matter but over time it's important.

Just now, Mr. Sinister said:

Nah, Wilbon is extra. Some guys you can tell they're all shtick. He just seems legitimately mean spirited about ****, especially when DC topics come up. You can literally see his face change... Like throwing a Rottweiler a raw porterhouse :ols:

He's gotten crabbier as he's gotten older, for sure.  And agreed, he does look down on DC cause it's not Chicago.

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I will say, I'd hate to be a sports broadcaster or whatever you call Wilbon.  Was a great writer at one point, he and Kornheiser were good reads.  Sometimes I go back on the WaPo archives and read their stuff.  I recently read Kornheiser's Bandwagon columns from 1991.  A little bit of gonzo wannabe Hunter S. Thompson journalism but still fun.

But to have to come up with opinions and **** to talk about each day on air, that's probably not easy.  I'd actually bet that Wilbon doesn't even really care about deGrom and who wins the NL Cy but he's gotta make a stand and he's gotta do it vehemently because that's what he's paid to do.  

He has a show with two people.  Every issue has two sides.  Nobody will tune in if they both agree that the reasonable and well-thought-out take is the best take, so invariably one or both goes with an obviously wrong take, and try to sell it.  They make good money, so it's fine.  My two major problems are (1) Wilbon now acts like he's something greater than a sports-talk radio hack (and somehow better than Steinberg, which he's not) and (2) Wilbon's bad takes aren't even creative.  At least that one guy who used to argue with Stephen A Smith was totally bonkers and not milquetoast bad-take Wilbon. 

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

He's gotten crabbier as he's gotten older, for sure.  And agreed, he does look down on DC cause it's not Chicago.

Hell, I personally don't think D.C. is all that, sports wise, but in the case of Wilbon it just sounds like pure venom sometimes. Gotta be something else there.

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

He has a show with two people.  Every issue has two sides.  Nobody will tune in if they both agree that the reasonable and well-thought-out take is the best take, so invariably one or both goes with a bat**** crazy and stupid take.  They make good money, so it's fine.  My two major problems are (1) Wilbon now acts like he's something greater than a sports-talk radio hack (and somehow better than Steinberg, which he's not) and (2) Wilbon's bad takes aren't even creative.  At least that one guy who used to argue with Stephen A Smith was totally bonkers and not milquetoast bad-take Wilbon. 

I get the dynamics of how the show works :)  Agreed on all points.  But when you've been around as long as he has and ESPN is paying him what they're paying him...yeah, he's got an ego for sure.

But look at what we're doing.  Bunch of younger guys calling Wilbon an old fartnocker for thinking wins are relevant, we're talking about him.  Yes, his ego is ginormous and yes his bad takes aren't even creative but it WORKS for him.  Amazing how that happens.  It's amazing how those guys like Stephen A (who I like) Skip Bayless, Cowherd and other stick around despite the fact that NOBODY LIKES THEM AND EVERYONE HATES THEM.  They're like the Nickelback of sports talk entertainment.  No one admits to liking Nickelback and yet somehow they still sold millions.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Hell, I personally don't think D.C. is all that, sports wise, but in the case of Wilbon it just sounds like pure venom sometimes. Gotta be something else there.

It's certainly gotten better but I agree. 

I think that venom you're seeing is the backlash from the ST thing.  I don't think he's quite gotten over that.

People complaining about Wilbon yet also dropping ultra-negative Deadspin content :rofl89:

Can we discuss what Wilbon does and disagree with him without dropping f words in the damn headlines? This is why deadspin is such garbage. I'm at WORK. :rofl89:

The tone of those deadspin articles makes it seem as if Wilbon is the worst person in the history of the world. Come on. 

20 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's amazing how those guys like Stephen A (who I like) Skip Bayless, Cowherd and other stick around despite the fact that NOBODY LIKES THEM AND EVERYONE HATES THEM.  They're like the Nickelback of sports talk entertainment.  No one admits to liking Nickelback and yet somehow they still sold millions.  

@Spaceman Spiff brings up a great point about being a broadcaster. I had a "news show" briefly on college radio and hosted a bloc of music on a public radio station years later. Lemme tell ya - it ain't always easy to come up with stuff to say on the radio, especially if you're doing it all on your own. I'm sure it's a bit easier when you have a staff of researchers and producers and all that but actually getting behind the mic and doing it - that's on you. You have to take all that work that everyone did and make it relevant and listenable to the listener. 

And yes - controversial "hot takes" almost always grab people's attention. There's a reason videos from talking head shows on Fox and CNN go viral but interviews on 1A or Fresh Air usually don't. It's one of the reasons I got out of the journalism game entirely. I knew I could put a great story together with all the right sources pouring over books and websites for the necessary research and all of it - every word of it - would either be ignored or written off as "fake news." 

But you get those hot takes and your content flies faster around the world than you can say "trending." 

Archived