Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unpopular Opinions Thread (Non-Political)

AsburySkinsFan

31 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Unpopular opinion....classic rock stations have 50 years worth of material to choose from and yet I hear the same Zeppelin, Rush, and Pink Floyd songs every day...how is that even possible?!?!

That's a fair criticism but there is so much awful music that was big in the 60's and 70's and those are the great artists of their time.  The reason they play a similar rotation of their songs is because they're prog and wrote music in the album format and much of it isn't radio friendly.  Even still, you'll regularly hear about 20 different Zeppelin songs on the radio. That's a much bigger rotation than any other artist you'll find except maybe the Beatles or Stones.

The truth is that America has always had godawful taste in popular music.  And it was downright awful in the 60's and especially 70's.  Don't believe me?  Watch this video of the top pop song by year dating back to WW2:

So many godawful gimmick songs and sentimental ballads.  There are like 15 years total where the songs hold up as great.  Classic Rock that endures as great has a far more limited selection to draw from than people realize.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Did you really just compare the car chase in Bullitt to the one's in Ronin and Baby Driver?  

Dear lord.  I should've followed @Momma There Goes That Man's lead and ducked outta here.  :P

I know...there is simply no comparison...Bullitt looks like he's on his way to the grocery store, the others are chase scenes.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Popular country music does remind me of popular rap now (haven't I heard this somewhere before?)

We're in the low effort Limp Bizkit era of Hip Hop now.  The vast majority of it is garbage, and has been for the entirety of the 2010s.

Except I think Kendrick Lamar is the best Hip Hop artist ever.  He makes almost everyone else look terrible in comparison.

I think I'm going to segue from your post to say I don't get Cardi B at all.  To me, her music is vapid and stupid and boring.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I loathe "Bro Country"! Country music is supposed to speak about life experiences, struggles, hardships, love, loss etc. Bro Country is written in a board room or worse yet a cubicle and is mass produced radio fodder that is built like SEO key word populating! 

Words and phrases that should be banned from country music:

Bruh, who you tellin?  It's obvious both genres are dominanted by people in suits who don't give two ****s about either genre, just what makes the most amount of money possible.  I have no idea what to do or who to kill over this mumble rap nonsense or the continued condoning of this pants hanging off our ass BS.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            "Urge to kill, rising...."

image.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Bruh, who you tellin?  It's obvious both genres are dominanted by people in suits who don't give two ****s about either genre, just what makes the most amount of money possible.  I have no idea what to do or who to kill over this mumble rap nonsense or the continued condoning of this pants hanging off our ass BS.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            "Urge to kill, rising...."

Ugh! Don't even get me started on mumble rap! I have a 16 year old son and he listens to it and thinks it's great. Then he tells me how he appreciates good music.

I think I threw my back out laughing at him.

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're in the low effort Limp Bizkit era of Hip Hop now.  The vast majority of it is garbage, and has been for the entirety of the 2010s.

Except I think Kendrick Lamar is the best Hip Hop artist ever.  He makes almost everyone else look terrible in comparison.

I think I'm going to segue from your post to say I don't get Cardi B at all.  To me, her music is vapid and stupid and boring.

Knock Knock jinx.

I think if you take Cardi B too seriously, yes, you won't be happy.  She has better flow them some of these one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish bammas, and we need more females in Hip Hop anyway.  I mean, I really really like this song (can't tell if its the raspyness of her voice, but I like when she sings):

One of the more unpopular opinions i've had concerning Hip Hop is that if the point is for people to be able to express themselves, then Hip Hop is more powerful then its ever been.  In my eye, its overtaken rock as the dominant genre in our country, has multiple subgenres that intersect and work with other genres, and is obviously international now.  They got the mike, but for the most part are completely wasting it.

1 minute ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Ugh! Don't even get me started on mumble rap! I have a 16 year old son and he listens to it and thinks it's great. Then he tells me how he appreciates good music.

I think I threw my back out laughing at him.

I'm sure at this point you've sat down and had a youtube intervention with him, you almost have to at this point because radio stations are like pulling teeth to play the better parts of the genre, past or present.

In all seriousness, you can't look at something like Hamilton and say Hip Hop sucks, the potential of this genre and culture is endless.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Here's an opinion that I know is going to piss at least a few people off:  Bruce Springsteen is lame.  His bloodless music is for white New Jerseyans and Long Islanders who live drab lives devoid of art and soul.

This exactly.  His voice is like nails on a chalkboard on me and he’s just basic.

To add onto that.  Bob Dylan sounds terrible. He’s almost unrecognizable when he sings.  There isn’t a single Bob Dylan song who’s cover isn’t worse than.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm sure at this point you've sat down and had a youtube intervention with him, you almost have to at this point because radio stations are like pulling teeth to play the better parts of the genre, past or present.

I've got him listening to Foo Fighters who we went and saw in concert this past May, on the floor (general admission) stage center, 6 feet from the rail. And he is warming up to Clint Black and George Strait so there's hope for him yet. But, he still insists on that babble garbage that has its own list of "should be banned" SEO words.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I've got him listening to Foo Fighters who we went and saw in concert this past May, on the floor (general admission) stage center, 6 feet from the rail. And he is warming up to Clint Black and George Strait so there's hope for him yet. But, he still insists on that babble garbage that has its own list of "should be banned" SEO words.

Ya, if there's any positive I'll say about what's happening with this era of rap is I do hear less about drug dealing and shooting people now.  More about money and just as much misogmy, but I mean, there's obviously a distancing from gangsta rap we used to hear all the time in the 90s and early 2000s.  I live and die by pandora, there's new stuff that pops up that's gives me hope on the outlook on women in the genre (which @Destino has touched on, genre needs a serious look in the mirror on):

2 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Ok, this may be unpopular, some of y'all are so fulla **** you must squeak

I bet right now @LD0506 is drinking a super hoppy IPA listening to Nickleback and eating General Tso's chicken.

Ya, if there's any positive I'll say about what's happening with this era of rap is I do hear less about drug dealing and shooting people now.  More about money and just as much misogmy, but I mean, there's obviously a distancing from gangsta rap we used to hear all the time in the 90s and early 2000s.  I live and die by pandora, there's new stuff that pops up that's gives me hope on the outlook on women in the genre (which @Destino has touched on, genre needs a serious look in the mirror on):

That song is significantly better than most of the Ddddddddeeeet....bbbbbrrrraaaaahhhh BS they're selling, but they're still cheating on her vocals with the auto-tune.

Leather coats are great. I've had the same brown leather coat for 30 years now, and it's still in perfect condition. It's incredible for insulation, and the only coat I'll wear once the temps drop to around 30 degrees.

Whoever had the Monty Python take, I agree. Also, Airplane and Animal House were two movies that I never found as funny as most people.

Carrie Fisher was a better author than actress.

6 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

That song is significantly better than most of the Ddddddddeeeet....bbbbbrrrraaaaahhhh BS they're selling, but they're still cheating on her vocals with the auto-tune.

Huh, we talking T-Pain auto-tune?  I don't know about that man, that kinda just sounds like her from what i'm reading about the making of the song.  The subtle raspyness I think would get canceled out if they tried to do that.

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Unpopular opinion....classic rock stations have 50 years worth of material to choose from and yet I hear the same Zeppelin, Rush, and Pink Floyd songs every day...how is that even possible?!?!

Agreed.  And all across the country the classic rock stations have the exact same playlist. My favorite era of music is late sixties to early seventies, but I listen to my thumb drive exclusively because I can't stand to hear the same hits over and over. Even satellite radio wasn't much better...."Deep Tracks" on Sirius was nothing but Grateful Dead and a bunch of drawn out 15 minute jams. I miss the era of AOR stations when disc jockeys would play obscure tracks off of albums.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Huh, we talking T-Pain auto-tune?  I don't know about that man, that kinda just sounds like her from what i'm reading about the making of the song.  The subtle raspyness I think would get canceled out if they tried to do that.

It sounds like they are modulating her voice with a waivering aspect, almost like an old talk-box.

12 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

It sounds like they are modulating her voice with a waivering aspect, almost like an old talk-box.

Hmm... I tried looking around to familiarize myself with that technique, may just need an example (found more on talk-box then waivering aspect).  Had to look around because didn't know any other songs where shes just signing, but this is closest I found:

Skip to 1:08 (whatcha think?) - also, right before that is her totally rapping in spanish, no problem, she's actually bilingual, so I don't think she's faking it like people accusing Beyonce of when she does spanish songs.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Hmm... I tried looking around to familiarize myself with that technique, may just need an example (found more on talk-box then waivering aspect).  Had to look around because didn't know any other songs where shes just signing, but this is closest I found:

Skip to 1:08 (whatcha think?) - also, right before that is her totally rapping in spanish, no problem, she's actually bilingual, so I don't think she's faking it like people accusing Beyonce of when she does spanish songs.

I don't doubt that she can sing, I'm just over processed voices so maybe it was just that one song. I don't know much about her the video you just shared showed she can hold a note and has a smooth voice. The earlier video it's probably just the production I don't care for.

• Like 1