Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN: Escape from the Mayo Clinic: Parents break teen out of world-famous hospital

Zguy28

2 hours ago, bcl05 said:

I figured there was much more to this story. Or at least that Mayo had a side that wasn't really told. The story was just way too sensationalist and one sided and it made me pretty wary of accepting the whole thing on face value, especially considering Mayo's excellent reputation. If what Mayo says is true, then this is really shoddy reporting. Curious if CNN will respond. 

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I figured there was much more to this story. Or at least that Mayo had a side that wasn't really told. The story was just way too sensationalist and one sided and it made me pretty wary of accepting the whole thing on face value, especially considering Mayo's excellent reputation. If what Mayo says is true, then this is really shoddy reporting. Curious if CNN will respond. 

They did in the MPR article. It's at the bottom.

Makes sense, obviously Mayo wasn't going to go to such extremes unless they felt validated by something. But I still find it somewhat questionable to keep patient based even on this story. Mom was aggressive, demanding opioids and refusing to learn proper care- hardly reason to 'banish' her from her daughter (hospital ok). Further, they are deeming the patient a 'vulnerable adult'. But, she had capacity and no harm was or has since been reported. In the end, I just don't know if I could justify holding patient. Kinda like the end of Gone Baby, Gone.She might not be mom of the year but hard to deny her child at that time. I know subsequently she lost her children, but this took place 2 years ago.

Mayo was probably right on a moral ground, but did they have the right to keep patient?

4 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

Mayo was obviously right on a moral ground, but did they have the right to keep patient?

I wouldn't concede morality of the situation, but legally, I don't think they did.  There is a system and procedure in place to deal with a situation like this and it ends in a court order.  Mayo can and should start the process, but it's not Mayo's call to make.

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I wouldn't concede morality of the situation, but legally, I don't think they did.  There is a system and procedure in place to deal with a situation like this and it ends in a court order.  Mayo can and should start the process, but it's not Mayo's call to make.

Right, and I'd be ok with Mayo proceeding with the process if the staff felt that strongly regarding the patient. My guess is the courts would have ruled for the family given available information on the stories. 

Edited the 'obvious' to probably. 

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

I've escaped from a number of clinics over the years and each time it barely rates mention on the back pages of local papers. I need a press agent.

Or it needs to be a tad more dramatic than "escaping" the bedroom in time to make it to the toilet while hungover.

One of the most egregious claims was that the Mayo denied the parents' request for their daughter to be transferred to another hospital. That fits in with the "medically kidnapped" narrative. And that now appears to be false. 

The mother sniffing around for opioids tells me a lot about those parents.

They had their severely damaged daughter in one of the best hospitals in the world, and they ****ed it up.  That's my takeaway.

3 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Or it needs to be a tad more dramatic than "escaping" the bedroom in time to make it to the toilet while hungover.

i have also escaped from a few bedrooms and the drama was plenty enough for me

53 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

One of the most egregious claims was that the Mayo denied the parents' request for their daughter to be transferred to another hospital. That fits in with the "medically kidnapped" narrative. And that now appears to be false. 

The mother sniffing around for opioids tells me a lot about those parents.

They had their severely damaged daughter in one of the best hospitals in the world, and they ****ed it up.  That's my takeaway.

Just curious how the reporting of this story reflects on news outlets, in your opinion, and if that gives you pause on any of their other reporting.

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Just curious how the reporting of this story reflects on news outlets, in your opinion, and if that gives you pause on any of their other reporting.

That's immediately what I thought about when I saw Mayo's rebuttal.  I don't trust CNN to tie my shoes.  They followed Fox down the nothing's too far if it gets the ratings hole and they are about as reliable as Fox at this point.  Doctor's can and do, of course, make mistakes and they might well have made some here but not the sort of mistakes that justify that original headline or story.

3 hours ago, zoony said:

Assuming you're talking about political stuff, etc (mostly regarding Trump), I think it's a fair question. However, the Trump admin has a couple problems when it comes to that which makes it harder to believe their claims that something being reported isn't true.

First of all they never actually rebut anything in any substantive manner. When a publication or news outlet reports on something they don't like, they don't come back and say "This is false and did not happen. This is exactly what happened, these are the facts that are missing, and here is some evidence of that"; they just scream "FAKE NEWS!" over and over and hope their supporters will buy it (which they do, of course). 

Second of all they have a really ****ty track record with this stuff. I've lost count of the number of times the WH or just Trump has screamed that something is fake and a lie and never happened, only to have evidence come out later that it did in fact happen exactly as it was reported. And of course what generally follows is a circus side show of moving goalposts or changing of the story. They cry wolf every single time something is said about them that they don't like so they've lost lots of credibility there with people outside of their hard core supporters.

One other thing is that (AFAIK) the reporters who write these stories are not the same ones that do political stuff or major national or world news. I think the editorial requirements are likely more stringent on political reporters than on things like this story, because if  major political reporters end up reporting something that's completely false or was shoddily researched and it gets out it will be much more damaging to the credibility of the reporters as well as the whole organization.

CNN is:

ENTERTAINMENT SERVICES, NAMELY, MULTIMEDIA PROGRAM SERIES FEATURING INFORMATION ABOUT CURRENT EVENTS, SPORTS, WEATHER, GOVERNMENT, EDUCATION, ENTERTAINMENT, DINING, TRAVEL AND LEISURE DISTRIBUTED VIA VARIOUS PLATFORMS ACROSS MULTIPLE FORMS OF TRANSMISSION MEDIA

5 hours ago, Dan T. said:

This is an extraordinary claim to have gotten wrong.  The kind of thing that should open CNN up to a lawsuit.

CNN clip shows a letter dated Feb 27 from the family's lawyer that requests an "expedited transfer" to another hospital and notes as sent by fax.  Mayo claims they never denied the family's request for a transfer, but are they saying they never got such a request?  That they never officially denied it?  Why would a lawyer make up the letter?  If they never got a request, you would think Mayo would say we never received any request for transfer.

The one thing that still doesn't add up is why the patient's wishes were ignored by Mayo clinic.  She was an adult who had been making decisions about her care for some time.  In fact, the realization of this is what led police to stop pursuing the family as having kidnapped the patient.  This, plus the patient's own statements, where she accused the hospital of medically kidnapping her and denying her wish to go home is where Mayo still comes out looking bad.  Especially since the family did learn how to administer care for her and she ended up being fine.  That's what gave the story its legs.

And I think Destino's right that there is something very shady about being able to seek guardianship over a person in secret.  Doing this makes Mayo look bad too.

21 hours ago, bearrock said:

CNN clip shows a letter dated Feb 27 from the family's lawyer that requests an "expedited transfer" to another hospital and notes as sent by fax.  Mayo claims they never denied the family's request for a transfer, but are they saying they never got such a request?  That they never officially denied it?  Why would a lawyer make up the letter?  If they never got a request, you would think Mayo would say we never received any request for transfer.

Indeed. Maybe some folks in here are glomming onto "I knew there must be more information" mentality when they might not have read the existing info, just because the previous good reputation of the institution.

15 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

Indeed. Maybe some folks in here are glomming onto "I knew there must be more information" mentality when they might not have read the existing info, just because the previous good reputation of the institution.

It's hard to put much of this on Mayo given the great work they do when the mother has zero credibility.

But I do think Mayo has some fault in the matter.  I think that mother is probably a trainwreck who totally alienated the staff at Mayo with her behavior.  But I also think the patient's doctor escalated the conflict with the patient's family with some of their decisions.  Or at the very least, their terrible relationship with the mother caused the situation to deteriorate to the point where the family got desperate and Mayo had to do some shady things to try and keep their patient away from her family, like telling the police that the girl couldn't make decisions for herself about her care when they knew she had been doing so, and seeking guardianship over her instead of first seeking out a surrogate in her family.  Even if the mother is a trainwreck, Mayo needed to try and find another family member to work with.  And I suspect they can and need to do a better job de-escalating conflicts with patients and family members than they did here.  I think that needs to be Mayo's takeaway from this crazy case.

Escape from the Mayo Clinic: How CNN reported the story

This updated report is part of the series,"Escape from the Mayo Clinic." It explains how CNN reported the story and responds to criticisms made by Mayo Clinic officials after CNN published the first and second parts.

(CNN)Since CNN published the "Escape from the Mayo Clinic" stories, Mayo Clinic issued several responses that are critical of CNN's reporting. Mayo's responses misrepresent several facts.

In its response:
Mayo refuses to acknowledge that the patient in this story, Alyssa Gilderhus, an adult, asked to be transferred, and that her family asked as well. Mayo claims that it had no idea Alyssa wanted to leave Mayo, even though there's written proof that she did, and Mayo had access to those writings.

Mayo completely misrepresents the nature of a meeting held between CNN staffers and Mayo staffers in March. Mayo insisted that the meeting remain off the record, yet now says that the meeting was on the record. CNN has written proof that Mayo's public statements regarding this meeting are false.

Mayo refuses to acknowledge that although Mayo doctors said Alyssa was desperately ill and needed to stay in the hospital, less than 12 hours after Alyssa left the hospital, Sanford Health, a teaching hospital in South Dakota, said that Alyssa did not need to be hospitalized and sent her home.

Mayo fails to discuss that while it said it would be dangerous for her to go home, she has flourished in the year and a half since she left Mayo. She no longer needs physical or speech therapy and will start college in a few weeks.

Alyssa says Mayo's response has further traumatized her, and that she fully supports CNN's article, which she says shed light on what she describes as her horrific treatment at Mayo.

Mayo's criticisms of CNN reveal its own inaccurate and inconsistent statements about what happened during Alyssa's hospitalization after, at age 18, she suffered a burst aneurysm on Christmas Day, 2016.

Mayo has contradicted one of its own nurses about the day Alyssa left the hospital and literally laughed off a request from a lawyer representing Alyssa who asked that she be transferred to another hospital. A top Mayo executive expressed regret at how his own staffers handled the situation.

Click on the link for the full article

On 8/16/2018 at 3:12 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is an extraordinary claim to have gotten wrong.  The kind of thing that should open CNN up to a lawsuit.

So Mayo was wrong after all.  Mayo ignored the patitent's request for a transfer.  And then they got it wrong in their response.  The charitable interpretation of Mayo's actions would be that the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing in this case.

The uncharitable interpretation would be that they lied to protect their reputation following unethical treatment of a patient.

On 8/16/2018 at 10:38 AM, zoony said:

Big reason I don't like watching the news now.  Print news a little more likely to be behind anyway or take being right more seriously.  CNN is the worst, everything is breaking news, they always want something to be breaking news, its part of their business model.  I don't remember seeing it on Washington Post, and doing a google search "Mayo clinic escape Washington Post", nada.

Archived