Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

wsj: Is the Party Over for Nevada’s Legal Brothels? Possibility of a Ban Looms

88Comrade2000

If you can, please post whole article.  I'd like to hear how and why non-prostitutes are trying to protect protect legal prostitutes in a closed environment from sexual harrassment by stopping this? 

This doesn't sound in their best intrests, women will continue this, forcing them more into the shadows makes it harder to come forward when they are mistreated.  It's like some women just don't understand that lifestyle choice, or refuse to.

As George Carlin so eloquently put it

Selling is legal...

****ing is legal...

So why isn't selling ****ing legal? Why should it be illegal to sell something that's perfectly legal to give away?

We are allowing tobacco execs to make millions peddling death because we accept people have the right to enjoy poisoning themselves, but somehow the "moral" choice is to force this underground where women will in fact be abused, herded, infected...

Once again, the Netherlands offer a far better way.

Seems like this isn't being thought through enough. The issue should be more regulation/inquiry, and a safer environment for the workers, not just a complete ban.

Or maybe they don't actually care (always that possibility). With as much money as that industry brings in (especially in Vegas?) I'd be shocked if this didn't die hard at the polls.

Some people just don't care about the facts (shocker) or ramefications of prohibition.

Several brothel operators, employees and industry supporters denied that workers were mistreated or that drug abuse was tolerated. The operators said they have been singled out unfairly. Prohibition would simply drive prostitution underground, they said, exposing workers to more dangers than they currently face under state control. Legal prostitutes at present have to undergo regular medical exams, and condom use is required.

If a woman claims abuse in a legal brothel, what are the stats showing its being addressed properly?  Is that person banned?

This issue annoys me because the discussion surrounding is an unending avalanche of bull****.  Groups that are obviously morally (religiously) opposed to prostitution offer up disingenuous arguments about safety along with dubious stats (which is lying).  Do they think we don't know that the nice people from the Church of Whatever aren't involved in this entirely because of their moral outrage? 

On the other side those supporting legalized or decriminalized prostitution, which we're now supposed to call "sex work," offer up dubious statistics of their own (again, lying).  The term "sex worker" seems to exist to intentionally reduce clarity and lend legitimacy.  Worse yet, they treat sex trafficking as an issue that should only be addressed so long as it doesn't disrupt what they consider legitimate sex work.  Those darn slaves are just so inconvenient! 

Then there's the #metoo battle that feminists are winning and was long overdue.  We all are now aware of coercion and that major power imbalances make consent problematic, maybe even impossible.  What exactly is having to **** people you would otherwise not want to **** because you need to eat, if not coercion?  What is working for someone that decides who you have to **** if you want to remain legitimately employed if not coercion?  

My personal stance is that I can not just ignore the predatory nature of this industry, but I also know prostitution is a thing people seem to need so desperately they're willing to support horrors to engage in.  So I'd legalize prostitution so long as the sex workers met the following requirements:

- At least 25 years old.

- A history of (at least) two years of middle class earnings demonstrated via tax returns.

- At least a high school education. 

- Healthy mentally and physically.

- No substance abuse.

If they can find relatively educated successful and healthy fully grown adults willing to do it, then by all means feel free.    I will not however support anything that turns the poor into products to be developed, sold, and later discarded. 

1 hour ago, Destino said:

This issue annoys me because the discussion surrounding is an unending avalanche of bull****.  Groups that are obviously morally (religiously) opposed to prostitution offer up disingenuous arguments about safety along with dubious stats (which is lying).  Do they think we don't know that the nice people from the Church of Whatever aren't involved in this entirely because of their moral outrage? 

Similar to the abortion high horse, all this "for the good of the mother" crap is just that, especially when several laws have been put in place to help shame the woman into changing their mind.

On the other side those supporting legalized or decriminalized prostitution, which we're now supposed to call "sex work," offer up dubious statistics of their own (again, lying).  The term "sex worker" seems to exist to intentionally reduce clarity and lend legitimacy.  Worse yet, they treat sex trafficking as an issue that should only be addressed so long as it doesn't disrupt what they consider legitimate sex work.  Those darn slaves are just so inconvenient! 

We've tried this discussion before (looks like you've leaned up a little since 12 years ago and I've matured a little in general). 

I'm not getting where the addressing sex trafficking only comes in when it affects who again?  The main idea that is brought up by people who support this (on the individual and government basis) is to allow for women that are being violated to come forward without fear of being locked up for a sex worker and that when consensual is a victimless crime.  The ability to then focus the resources on the ones that still can't come forward makes the process to stamp out illegal sex trafficking will become more efficient.  Same with legalizing weed and having more resources to devote to stopping Meth.

Then there's the #metoo battle that feminists are winning and was long overdue.  We all are now aware of coercion and that major power imbalances make consent problematic, maybe even impossible.  What exactly is having to **** people you would otherwise not want to **** because you need to eat, if not coercion?  What is working for someone that decides who you have to **** if you want to remain legitimately employed if not coercion?  

This isn't an issue I think #metoo should jump into full force.  If someone is being abused at one of these brothels, they should be banned, that shouldn't be an extra expense to allow men to do that to women.  A brothel has got to be the weirdest places be talking about "unwanted advances".

My personal stance is that I can not just ignore the predatory nature of this industry, but I also know prostitution is a thing people seem to need so desperately they're willing to support horrors to engage in.  So I'd legalize prostitution so long as the sex workers met the following requirements:

- At least 25 years old.

- A history of (at least) two years of middle class earnings demonstrated via tax returns.

- No substance abuse.

If they can find relatively educated successful and healthy fully grown adults willing to do it, then by all means feel free.    I will not however support anything that turns the poor into products to be developed, sold, and later discarded. 

That feels too strict and I can't tell if you've had a chance to look at other countries that have legalized this to compare to.  Germany is a model we might want to take a look at, because they are taxing as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Germany

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_by_region

A lot of people do it on the side to make ends meet, saying they have to show stable income will lock out the people doing it out of necessity.  GED is an interesting concept, I may agree with 18 being too young (but 18 year olds are going to war, so I'm not a fan of calling them kids), but a mental healthy requirement sounds like a bad idea given how prevalent mental health is and how open-ended you presented that requirement.  I wish you'd elaborate on "substance abuse", because I'd agree that something like meth or heroin should cause a suspension of the license, but stuff like weed, cocaine, molly, who cares?

End of the day, I see cases for both sides, but believe its worth it to devote resources to the people who really are having to do stuff against their will. In Germany, they still have a sex trafficking issue, but they aren't going to the cops because they are afraid of being deported, in US its that and the fact prostitution is already illegal, so they are trapped into saying nothing (we have to stop that).

2 hours ago, Destino said:

We all are now aware of coercion and that major power imbalances make consent problematic, maybe even impossible.  What exactly is having to **** people you would otherwise not want to **** because you need to eat, if not coercion?  What is working for someone that decides who you have to **** if you want to remain legitimately employed if not coercion? 

I work as a nurse (as of two weeks ago.)  

You know what?  My employer tells me which patients I have to take care of, if I want to remain legitimately employed.  

Obviously I am a slave, and the only solution is to make nursing illegal.  

7 hours ago, Destino said:

So I'd legalize prostitution so long as the sex workers met the following requirements:

- At least 25 years old.

- No substance abuse.

✅✅✅✅and ✅

$20. Who’s first?

16 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Or maybe they don't actually care (always that possibility). With as much money as that industry brings in (especially in Vegas?) I'd be shocked if this didn't die hard at the polls.

Its only legal in certain counties, and Vegas isn't in one of them. 

I used to listen to Lex & Terry years ago, they used to have Dennis Hof & Bunny Love on all the time, even arranged a dude to lose his virginity to Bunny...this was all happening on live radio. 

I saw the other day that Dennis is now running for Congress as a Republican. :806:

Archived