Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: At least nine dead in Santa Fe High School Shooting

No Excuses

5 hours ago, SkinInsite said:

What makes American kids so ****ed up that they shoot up school every other week.

No other country have this problem.

Wish I knew. What I can tell you from my travels and from friends and co-workers around the world is American kids are a bit more spoiled and American culture in general is more about work then family.

5 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Developed countries across the world have mental health issues at similar levels to the US.

None of them experience mass killings at this rate. 

If anyone has blinders, it’s people like you who keep repeating the same argument after each and every mass shooting.

Again, happens no where else in the developed world.

I respectively disagree. I see cultures all over the world, and see how they are compared to us and mental health issues may be the same, but how they are dealt with are vastly different. That is probably the problem.

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm getting so tired of this ****.  You do realize there are some kids in this world that getting bullied at school would be an upgrade in life?

Yup, and quite honestly I dont feel bullying is a bad thing per se. I feel that it does help us grow, and if it weren't for negative stimulus, we'd never evolve. What I am saying is that we as adults and as a culture are doing it wrong. It's not about the guns. They've always been there, and when I was younger it wasn't mass shootings, but teenage suicide. Both are signs of something is wrong, but the question is how did we go from just killing ourselves to making sure we take others out with us.

Trust me, I am all for gun control. I think all states should have the same policy as NY, and parents with guns who dont stick to the rule regarding locked boxes and gun safes, bullets stored away in separate locations should lose their priviledge to own a gun. Not to mention the double background checks and re-certifying every 5 years.

But even with gun control, we still will have issues. We did not solve the problem. We took 1 instrument is death away. But bombs can still be made, knives can still be had, other forms of killing can still be used or can be thought up. 

That's why I find all the people who think I'm the one with blinders on are short sighted. You're not seeing the forest through the trees.

11 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I see cultures all over the world, and see how they are compared to us and mental health issues may be the same, but how they are dealt with are vastly different. That is probably the problem.

I'll agree and disagree here. I think that you are correct that the US being one of the only developed countries without universal healthcare is probably a contributor to the number of violent incidents due to mental health issues,  but while mental health is a factor it's also a red herring. It happens enough that it needs to be dealt with, but it is not the common factor. In fact, the number of shooters with diagnosed mental health problems are relatively small. The number of people with mental health issues who do not engage in these kinds of activities is enormous. Mental health has become an easy scapegoat.

30 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'll agree and disagree here. I think that you are correct that the US being one of the only developed countries without universal healthcare is probably a contributor to the number of violent incidents due to mental health issues,  but while mental health is a factor it's also a red herring. It happens enough that it needs to be dealt with, but it is not the common factor. In fact, the number of shooters with diagnosed mental health problems are relatively small. The number of people with mental health issues who do not engage in these kinds of activities is enormous. Mental health has become an easy scapegoat.

Burgold, your opinion is probably one the top 10 I always respect the most on here and gets me thinking the most. However, a troubled kid is not just mental health. Why do we immediately assume that troubled kid = mental health issue. It's not. I wish I had the answers..I do, but what I do know is that our own agendas get in the way of clear thinking. I know that happens to me as well, and I hate to admit it when it happens, and I wish I could stop myself when it does. 

I think we all have a small piece of the answer, but we are afraid to look inward and realize that we ourselves are also the cause of the problem. 

I had a great heart to heart conversation with a co-worker in China a couple months ago. They have a big suicide problem especially with the younger generation. It's one of the reasons buildings have nets around them...to catch the jumpers. They see it as the younger generation is weak. It got me thinking about how we usually feel the same way about our younger generations. Their work culture and ours is more similar then you would think. 

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Where was all this “respect authority” talk when Obama was the Muslim Kenyan Dictator-in-Chief bent on destroying America with Communism and Sharia Law?

I believe it was still here...when people say respect authority, it does not always mean respect the politician. Authority is our parents, our elders, our teachers, etc. 

Why do you insist on making this political. This problem goes WAY beyond politics. Maybe that's part of the problem. We insist that politics fixes everything, when quite honestly they tend to make things worse.

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

I believe it was still here...when people say respect authority, it does not always mean respect the politician. Authority is our parents, our elders, our teachers, etc. 

Why do you insist on making this political. This problem goes WAY beyond politics. Maybe that's part of the problem. We insist that politics fixes everything, when quite honestly they tend to make things worse.

My girlfriend is a public middle-school teacher.  No issues with respect from her students, though she is treated very poorly by right-wing politicians and their supporters.

17 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Where was all this “respect authority” talk when Obama was the Muslim Kenyan Dictator-in-Chief bent on destroying America with Communism and Sharia Law?

I think this is something that’s been an issue for quite some time, it’s just become progressively worse over time.  We’ve seen it with Bush 2, Clinton.  People used to defer to authority, where they will now question or outright refute it.

People question teachers without knowing what it actually takes to be one.

People question and even hate police without knowing how demanding and mentally challenging their job is.

People calling for the jobs of politicians yet they make no effort to get into politics.

In sports, it’s common to criticize players yet those same people couldn’t display half the skills that these professional athletes show.

Our society has become one of undue criticism and blatant antagonism.  People take the counter of popular opinion simply to be different.  It’s like a nation of trolls, trolling each other.  

I cant say that I’m completely innocent myself.

20 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

My girlfriend is a public middle-school teacher.  No issues with respect from her students, though she is treated very poorly by right-wing politicians and their supporters.

Really, because the teachers in liberal New York are frequently screwed by them too...

Maybe it's not 1 particular political side, but politics in general?

Now...can you actually make a post besides music posts that doesn't mention or blame politics and discusses real causes?

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Getting bullied?  Get over it, it happens.

If that's going to be the response to bullying, we are probably not going to like the results.

Why not just apply that mentality to all aspects of life?  Racial injustice, IRS messed up processing your returns, someone rammed your car, random drunk punches you on the street.  It happens, get over it.  Telling kids to get over being bullied in school rather than stopping the bullies is a total dereliction of responsibility by all adults involved.

2 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Question Authority, because they often don't do the right thing.

Take this entire administration, corrupt from the top down. You're damn right I question their authority. All of them.

Name any administration that wasn't corrupt from the top down...they all are. Hence the problem...

2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Name any administration that wasn't corrupt from the top down...they all are. Hence the problem...

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

So, your response is to stop questioning them?  

He’s just throwing everything at the wall that he can to avoid talking about the real issue.  He doesn’t have the minerals for this type of thing.

4 hours ago, Xameil said:

I respectively disagree. I see cultures all over the world, and see how they are compared to us and mental health issues may be the same, but how they are dealt with are vastly different. That is probably the problem.

Its something more though, something more specific to this country.

The VT killer doesn't end up a mass murderer if he grows up in South Korea where mental health is completely ignored.

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

He’s just throwing everything at the wall that he can to avoid talking about the real issue.  He doesn’t have the minerals for this type of thing.

That's where you are wrong. I just realize that this is beyond politics. You just hate to look inward.

18 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Really, because the teachers in liberal New York are frequently screwed by them too...

Maybe it's not 1 particular political side, but politics in general?

Now...can you actually make a post besides music posts that doesn't mention or blame politics and discusses real causes?

Btw, for 2017 New York ranked #1 as the best state to pursue a teaching career.  Damn, you’re smooth!

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-teachers/7159/

11 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Its something more though, something more specific to this country.

The VT killer doesn't end up a mass murderer if he grows up in South Korea where mental health is completely ignored.

I agree...its culture. But it's not limited to 1 thing. That's what I am trying to get at. Blaming politicians, blaming guns, etc. is the easy way out. A serious discussion needs to be had. The actual issue needs to be discovered. If someone can prove to me that it's as simple as politics then fine. But I have not seen 1 post, 1 reasonable open minded argument, and not 1 article that has shown me it's as simple as gun control.

But some people are too proud, and need to try and prove they have the biggest balls to seriously sit down and reflect on what may be the issue.

But honestly, I said my peace..of some want to blame politicians, that's fine. To each their own

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Btw, for 2017 New York ranked #1 as the best state to pursue a teaching career.  Damn, you’re smooth!

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-for-teachers/7159/

Lol really....over half of my family are teachers....they disagree with you.

Must be an upstate vs downstate NY thing...

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

I agree...its culture. But it's not limited to 1 thing. That's what I am trying to get at. Blaming politicians, blaming guns, etc. is the easy way out. A serious discussion needs to be had. The actual issue needs to be discovered. If someone can prove to me that it's as simple as politics then fine. But I have not seen 1 post, 1 reasonable open minded argument, and not 1 article that has shown me it's as simple as gun control.

But some people are too proud, and need to try and prove they have the biggest balls to seriously sit down and reflect on what may be the issue.

But honestly, I said my peace..of some want to blame politicians, that's fine. To each their own

Lol really....over half of my family are teachers....they disagree with you.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Gish_Gallop

Guns are without a doubt the PRIMARY problem. Are there other issues? Sure. But stricter gun control reduces these mass shootings significantly. Like, its not even a question. Look at other countries, then look at ours.

#repealthesecondamendment

33 minutes ago, bearrock said:

If that's going to be the response to bullying, we are probably not going to like the results.

Why not just apply that mentality to all aspects of life?  Racial injustice, IRS messed up processing your returns, someone rammed your car, random drunk punches you on the street.  It happens, get over it.  Telling kids to get over being bullied in school rather than stopping the bullies is a total dereliction of responsibility by all adults involved.

I believe he means how you address it internally and externally, you can bring attention to and work to fix problems w/o lashing out violently, killing folk,or destroying property in most cases.

That life means so little in calculations is a problem.

and sometimes you need to accept people and situations suck and remove yourself either mentally or physically....or both.

Archived