Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC: At least nine dead in Santa Fe High School Shooting

No Excuses

1 hour ago, twa said:

Not trying to be ,I just am inclined to find weaknesses.

I like metal detectors ,especially for HS and maybe jr high.....but thinking a teacher couldn't get a gun past them easier than a student is not realistic.

I certainly hope teachers are good guys, especially those that agree to extra screening and training.

Perhaps better security and screened and trained armed teachers/staff would reduce the compulsion for others bringing a gun , if not having people there capable of controlling the crazy one would be a good thing imo.

The basic problem is people choosing to kill is almost impossible to stop, limiting their access /capabilities and added security only limits the destruction....and perhaps acts as a deterrent for that location.

Nothing is 100% foolproof, but if your that worried about people getting guns into a school with metal detectors and doors that lock during school hours, find some examples of that happening. 

I tired the last two years, I know I need to go further, but I believe that proves my point. Schools like that the kids are getting shot outside the school, not inside the school.  Find some recent examples otherwise and I'll hear you out (shootings inside a school that had metal detectors and locks door during school hours).

19 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I think there should be penalties for being wrong, but I am not sure who should be in charge of dishing those out.  Having gov't meddling in that would be a big conflict of interest, IMO.  I'm a big believer in free speech and freedom of the press but they're trying every bit of my patience and understanding.  I am not sure how they make money from being first, other than to be able to brag that they were first and use that in marketing.  But people are going to tune into the channels that they want to get their news from regardless.  

FoxNews had a headline this morning: "Liberal Awards Show Host Demands Action" referencing gun control.  The host was Kelly Clarkson. A Texan. And not exactly a liberal loudmouth.

They are entertainment, no better than Access Hollywood or E! Entertainment news, or TMZ.

44 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

New York city has largest school system in the country, Houston is 7th, yall need to stop acting like we're starting from scratch on this one, we have working examples in much larger school districts. 

You have multiple lines for multiple detectors and you get the advantage of not all the kids getting to school at same time, that's how DC does it for Schools that do that.

And don't put words in my mouth, I'm totally against arming teachers, I am for locking doors during school hours and metal detectors.  There are schools with security measures that aren't hearding cattle, we're at the point that doing nothing is unacceptable.  Several suburban districts are installing bulletproof glass as we speak.

Right now kids don't feel safe, instead of saying what you don't want for your daughter have you asked how she feels about metal detectors and locking the the outside doors both ways during school hours?

Matter of fact, had anyone asked kids how they feel about their teacher being armed? If this is really about what's best for the kids, shouldn't they have a say in it?

I left Houston because the schools run the way you described. They are holding pens and babysitting services. If you don't actually care about the education of students, it's relatively simple to keep them safe for 8 hours a day.

My kids are against their teachers being armed.

There, discussion over.

By the way, I got very drunk on Friday night and ended up talking to two other very drunk guys. (I live in one of those suburbs that is designed so you can actually walk to bars and also churches). One was an oil and gas attorney. Another was an NRA member. It's Texas.

Anyway, I think we solved this problem over nachos and bourbon.

1. 21 years of age for gun ownership.

2. Any gun owner whose firearm is used in a crime is civilly liable to all victims of said crime.

#2 would make gun ownership so potentially expensive that people will either reduce their freaking arsenals or take a hell of a lot better care of them.

(By the way before you starting spinning hypotheticals at me, know that I will answer them all and win the argument).

1 minute ago, mcsluggo said:

so... .how much do we estimate that civil liability insurance will cost for guns?

will it be mandatory ?  (eventually)

will the govt subsidize it ?

And will it be lower than the civil liability costs for not proving security and denying self defense rights?

Parkland already has several civil suits against them, including over the SRO's inaction.

at least the lawyers will prosper either way.

23 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I left Houston because the schools run the way you described. They are holding pens and babysitting services. If you don't actually care about the education of students, it's relatively simple to keep them safe for 8 hours a day.

My kids are against their teachers being armed.

There, discussion over.

By the way, I got very drunk on Friday night and ended up talking to two other very drunk guys. (I live in one of those suburbs that is designed so you can actually walk to bars and also churches). One was an oil and gas attorney. Another was an NRA member. It's Texas.

Anyway, I think we solved this problem over nachos and bourbon.

1. 21 years of age for gun ownership.

2. Any gun owner whose firearm is used in a crime is civilly liable to all victims of said crime.

#2 would make gun ownership so potentially expensive that people will either reduce their freaking arsenals or take a hell of a lot better care of them.

(By the way before you starting spinning hypotheticals at me, know that I will answer them all and win the argument).

This isn’t an arguement, this is a debate, there’s a difference.  Your proposals make sense, not sure why your expecting a rebuttal.  We agree on not armin teachers, why do you keep throwing that in my face like I support it?

I’m sorry you felt your kids were treated that way, every school I’ve been we’re we did what I’m talking about specifics we as students understood it came with the territory.  The territory has changed, LBK, there’s no running from it anymore.

Did your kids feel like cattle in Houston? Did they feel safe?  Do they feel safe now?

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

, there’s no running from it anymore.

On the contrary, there are new planned communities and other countries the well off can migrate to.

Private schools with discrete security .

Home tutors

you can always run if you desire and can afford it.......my wife has desired it for ages, me and the kids didn't agree.

8 minutes ago, twa said:

On the contrary, there are new planned communities and other countries the well off can migrate to.

Private schools with discrete security .

Home tutors

you can always run if you desire and can afford it.......my wife has desired it for ages, me and the kids didn't agree.

You know most people don't have that option, what about them?  

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Obviously you restrict their rights and threaten to bankrupt them for non-compliance.

I heard these three drunks came up with it. :)

I believe there should be stricter penalties for those gun owners that do not do everything they can to lock-up and secure their firearms to prevent children/others from gaining access to them.  The only people I will allow access to my firearms are myself, my wife and my father.

Me personally, I use trigger locks in addition to locking them up in a secure safe with the ammo locked up in another location.  I'm actually looking into a new biometric safe that records tampering attempts to access the contents.  It's 2018, plenty of new technology and devices to properly secure ones firearms and not have to worry about someone else getting access to them against your wishes.  

In addition, we plan to have our daughter properly trained/educated by a professional on gun safety and handling firearms.  And she will never have direct access to any of my firearms or ammunition until she is an adult and out of college. 

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What in the blue hell are you two even arguing about? Parkland is one of the wealthiest communities in Florida. Sandy Hook was a wealthy community. Columbine was upper middle class. I don't know Sante Fe ISD well, but I'm led to believe its middle to upper middle class.

This **** primarily happens in the places people run to. I'm in one of the best school districts in the state, and I'm scared out of my mind.

46 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

so... .how much do we estimate that civil liability insurance will cost for guns?

will it be mandatory ?  (eventually)

will the govt subsidize it ?

We didn't have a drunk actuary with us. That would have been helpful.

Insurance markets are all governed at a state level. I suppose states could create, regulate, and potentially subsidize the market place. I would think that there would be tremendous pressure for insurance companies to stay out of "murder insurance" however.

I would treat owning a gun the way we treat any business that falls into a activity that would be treated under a standard of strict liability in tort.

Where the hell is your brother? He would be helpful here.

2 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

What in the blue hell are you two even arguing about? Parkland is one of the wealthiest communities in Florida. Sandy Hook was a wealthy community. Columbine was upper middle class. I don't know Sante Fe ISD well, but I'm led to believe its middle to upper middle class.

This **** primarily happens in the places people run to. I'm in one of the best school districts in the state, and I'm scared out of my mind.

I was respsonding to twa directly with that post, not you, so chill the F out.  People with money have more options to hopefully avoid this, this effects pretty much everyone though, that's not rocket science. 

Do all private schools have metal detectors, or jus rules that effect law abiding citizens?  Breathe, I'm trying to have a conversation with yall, but if you can't turn off that venom going into the back of your head like bane I'm not going to, I don't have to.

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Me personally, I use trigger locks in addition to locking them up in a secure safe with the ammo locked up in another location.  

This seems like a safe way to store your weapons, but I have a question or two about this strategy...

If you have your gun there for protection (rather than for recreation), is it even feasible to get to both your firearm and your ammo in the event of an intruder who also has a gun? It seems like it's a very safe way to prevent an accident but a very risky way to protect your home. 

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

and he (Oliver North) was an illegal gun runner.

Therefore he is the embodiment of the notion that if Congress passes a law that prohibits arming somebody, evil people will still find a way to get them guns, anyway.  

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

This seems like a safe way to store your weapons, but I have a question or two about this strategy...

If you have your gun there for protection (rather than for recreation), is it even feasible to get to both your firearm and your ammo in the event of an intruder who also has a gun? It seems like it's a very safe way to prevent an accident but a very risky way to protect your home. 

To me, the proposal I always make, that seems like a good balance between "home defense weapon" and "keeping your collection from becoming a mass shooter's arsenal" would be a rule that any household that has more than three guns, then all of the guns but three have to be locked up.  

Seems like a reasonable balance, to me. 

51 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It kind of just happened to work out that way.  I'm not really a gun nut by any means, but ended up getting gifted some rifles when my papaw passed away a few years ago, which filled up the safe we have.  So I locked it up separately a while back when my daughter discovered the safe and started asking questions.  And when expressed interest in learning to shoot.  Kids are curious and I didn't want to take any chances not being equipped with the secure storage I would feel comfortable with.  

My plan is to get a biometric safe that is made to hold only one handgun with a few clips that will be kept in the bedroom with easy access in case someone invades our home.  So, that will be the only one with ammo ready to go.  The remaining firearms I'll continue to keep trigger locked individually and locked up separately from their ammo.  

Just now, Larry said:

To me, the proposal I always make, that seems like a good balance between "home defense weapon" and "keeping your collection from becoming a mass shooter's arsenal" would be a rule that any household that has more than three guns, then all of the guns but three have to be locked up.  

Seems like a reasonable balance, to me. 

I dunno, with children, I think they should all be locked up at all times, unless defending your home or going to the range. 

According to Akron police, the two boys were playing video games when the older boy picked up the gun, pointed it at his younger relative and pulled the trigger, hitting the eight-year-old in the abdomen.

Police responded to the scene in the 1200 block of Marcy Street at around 1am on Sunday after a 14-year-old boy who was looking after the younger children ran to the neighbors for help. 

40 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I dunno, with children, I think they should all be locked up at all times, unless defending your home or going to the range. 

certainly with young kids, we kept pistols locked away unless they were being carried and long guns disabled and empty.

We loosened it up a bit late teens, but not much since there were always kids visiting.

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I believe there should be stricter penalties for those gun owners that do not do everything they can to lock-up and secure their firearms to prevent children/others from gaining access to them.  The only people I will allow access to my firearms are myself, my wife and my father.

Me personally, I use trigger locks in addition to locking them up in a secure safe with the ammo locked up in another location.  I'm actually looking into a new biometric safe that records tampering attempts to access the contents.  It's 2018, plenty of new technology and devices to properly secure ones firearms and not have to worry about someone else getting access to them against your wishes.  

In addition, we plan to have our daughter properly trained/educated by a professional on gun safety and handling firearms.  And she will never have direct access to any of my firearms or ammunition until she is an adult and out of college. 

To me this is the only way to do it. 

Its insane to me that others don’t. 

Self defense needs put the wrinkle of access into it, but it’s still reasonably workable. The number of people that seemingly don’t is crazy. 

Archived