Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Tim Settle DT Virginia Tech

Wildbunny

16 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

It was just a joke, but here's some reading. I don't want to divert the thread so I won't mention this topic any further here.

http://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/26505/kirk-cousins-looks-to-shake-off-2-red-zone-picks-end-upbeat

Thanks. 

Back on topic - can't wait to hear more about Tim Settle's progress. I'm cautiously optimistic that he can at least be a great rotational guy but his college tape? Damn!

I love Tomsula, but I want to see him use everyone more appropriately this year. Injuries and lack of depth didn't help him/us last year, but certain players simply shouldn't be playing certain positions. 

Ziggy Hood (if he makes the team)- should never play anything other than DE and even there I'm not optimistic. 

Lanier- should only be in vs pass.

Anderson- should only be in vs run.

Maybe Lanier learns to stand up OLinemen, maybe Anderson gains a couple of pass rush moves, but barring this, they are liabilities when trying to defend against their weaknesses. 

I'm unsure exactly where Payne and Settle will stack up at this level, but I want Tomsula to figure out their strengths and use them accordingly. Last year there was far too much square-peg-round-holing. I believe all players aside from Allen and Ioannidis should be treated like Galette was, he was a pass rusher, so that's when he hit the field.

4 hours ago, CTskin said:

That would be all well and good if NFL play calling was that fundamentally structured that you know precisely who to put in on what down. :) 

However, since there is nothing to stop an opposing offense from throwing on 1st and 10 or running the ball on 3rd and 15, we're going to have players in situations that are not the strongest suits to their game.

3 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

That would be all well and good if NFL play calling was that fundamentally structured that you know precisely who to put in on what down. :) 

However, since there is nothing to stop an opposing offense from throwing on 1st and 10 or running the ball on 3rd and 15, we're going to have players in situations that are not the strongest suits to their game.

still you can play the odds and get it right most of the time

14 minutes ago, carex said:

still you can play the odds and get it right most of the time

Yes you can, but there will still be a good number of plays in every game where defensive players are going to have to deal with offensive plays they are not best suited to.

There's no way around it. It is just the nature of the game.

2 hours ago, SkinsGuy said:

Yes you can, but there will still be a good number of plays in every game where defensive players are going to have to deal with offensive plays they are not best suited to.

There's no way around it. It is just the nature of the game.

And coaches of opposing teams BETTER be looking to exploit those match-ups.  Just like ours should.

11 hours ago, CTskin said:

If other teams figure that out, Anderson will see pass plays 100% of the time & Lanier will see 100% run. Please delete in case Wentz, Dak & Eli are reading. 

13 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

And coaches of opposing teams BETTER be looking to exploit those match-ups.  Just like ours should.

As well as QBs calling audibles. It's never as simple as "play this guy when they make this play" and it's ridiculous to blame our play calling on defense for it. 

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

As well as QBs calling audibles. It's never as simple as "play this guy when they make this play" and it's ridiculous to blame our play calling on defense for it. 

Wait.....so you're saying this isn't Madden? I'm confused.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

other teams have personnel issues too

15 hours ago, zoony said:

He needs to get much stronger and probably lose a few pounds.  Hes definitely a freakish athlete for someone his size, but he needs to start putting in real work on strength and cond

Not sure about strength but he has been putting in “real work” on conditioning for more than 18 months.  He lost 35 lbs going into last season playing at 335.  He was down to 323 by his pro day. So it’s clearly now habit.

BTW:  He was leading the young guys at VT in conditioning last year.  

Just because he he has a little jiggle in his belly does notbmean he is not working hard.  He has a great work ethic.  

I'm curious why Settle didn't test in bench press while at the combine.

He looks very lower-body strong, and that quick start for a heavy guy is really nice.  But from the clips I've seen, his hand, arm and tackling technique didn't look that great.  

His mass and lower body strength took him a long way in college, but I think his upper body strength and upper body technique needs a lot of work, if he wants to be effective in the pros.  

Luckily, that's something Tomsula and the conditioning staff can work on.  Still a very nice pick where the Skins got him.  I just hope he doesn't get lost in the numbers -- Skins are getting crowded at D-Line.

3 hours ago, Wyvern said:

I'm curious why Settle didn't test in bench press while at the combine.

He looks very lower-body strong, and that quick start for a heavy guy is really nice.  But from the clips I've seen, his hand, arm and tackling technique didn't look that great.  

His mass and lower body strength took him a long way in college, but I think his upper body strength and upper body technique needs a lot of work, if he wants to be effective in the pros.  

Luckily, that's something Tomsula and the conditioning staff can work on.  Still a very nice pick where the Skins got him.  I just hope he doesn't get lost in the numbers -- Skins are getting crowded at D-Line.

Can you be specific? I am certainly no expert but I do not see it that way. Here are 3 different films on Settle - his Highlights, the NC Tarheels game (his worst that I saw) and Duke. Can you identify which plays you have your concerns? I would be interested. Again, I do not see it but I am clearly no expert. This is an honest question. I could very easily missed something. Let me know your thoughts. 

I will say my concerns with him are balance as he gets a little too reckless and he over runs plays - very susceptible to draws. I beleive Tomsula can coahc him up on this. 

But I saw no problems with his upper body strength. Even in the NC where he started slow, they had to double team him or he made plays. And it was not all bull rush from his get off which is lower body. He was pushing through blocks and wrapping up QBs and RB. Has serious quickness for a guy his size. One play he is double teamed, but he lets them think he is not really rushing then splits the two getting in the QBs face. Also check out the punt block. Blows up the lineman and while falling gets a paw up and swats it. Shows great body control that takes good upper body strength. 

Let's agree to disagree.  Bottom line for me, He's a good talent but still needs work in a few areas, and I think Tomsula can easily remedy it.

But since you ask, I felt his wrapping up seemed suspect (especially in some of those highlight clips, before the ones you posted), unless his target was in a straight line right in front of his path, where Settle can leverage his weight in the tackle.  

It seemed like many of his wrap ups and tackles were on someone already off balance or someone on whom he'd committed his body-weight and straight-line momentum.  However, If his target, was not off-balance and/or outside Settle's 'trajectory path', Tim's arm-strength didn't seem like it could compensate enough to allow him effectively hook and hold the target to finish the tackle.  

Thats why I was curious why Settle didn't test on bench-press at the combine.  Was he injured?

Also, Settle's initial burst helps his power-lunge technique, but that can also lead to over-committing his body weight, which lead to balance issues.  

The quickness and lower body strength is a gift for someone his size -- the rest -- the conditioning, arm strength and technique -- can be upgraded by the Skins coaches and trainers.

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

Let's agree to disagree.  Bottom line for me, He's a good talent but still needs work in a few areas, and I think Tomsula can easily remedy it.

But since you ask, I felt his wrapping up seemed suspect (especially in some of those highlight clips, before the ones you posted), unless his target was in a straight line right in front of his path, where Settle can leverage his weight in the tackle.  

It seemed like many of his wrap ups and tackles were on someone already off balance or someone on whom he'd committed his body-weight and straight-line momentum.  However, If his target, was not off-balance and/or outside Settle's 'trajectory path', Tim's arm-strength didn't seem like it could compensate enough to allow him effectively hook and hold the target to finish the tackle.  

Thats why I was curious why Settle didn't test on bench-press at the combine.  Was he injured?

Also, Settle's initial burst helps his power-lunge technique, but that can also lead to over-committing his body weight, which lead to balance issues.  

The quickness and lower body strength is a gift for someone his size -- the rest -- the conditioning, arm strength and technique -- can be upgraded by the Skins coaches and trainers.

I am not trying to be an ass here I am trying to learn. Maybe I am not looking at the video correctly. I have watched every bit of video of him I can find more than 5 times each, and most of them frame by frame isolating his play in preparation for the ES Mock draft. I did not see what you are seeing. So please can you be specific? Which highlight video and what exact plays? If there are that many times that's it's more than other players than it should be pretty easy to identify several plays in 2017 that demonstrate your concerns. The ones I posted are just 3 of several that I have watched.

I cannot find a reason for why he did not bench at the combine so it's a fair question. But it does not mean he has an upper body problem.

As for his conditioning - I already addressed this. The notion that he has a conditioning problem is just not true at all. He has been working on his conditioning hard for the last 18+ months after a challenge from his coaches and has lost almost 50 lbs and was playing 40 to 50 snaps a game for VT. He was leading the conditioning exercises and was known at VT for having a great work out regime and work ethic.

Here is an article about him with the guy who worked with Tim to help improve his conditioning. He talks worked with him on a problem of blinking at the start of the play and not disengaging from blocks very well. You can see this in 2016 (maybe this is what you are talking about). He worked with him on those things along with his conditioning and You can see he does a better job in 2017. Also check out the Ziggy Hood connection.

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/article/2018/01/24/tim-settle-wyatt-teller-preparation/

Last but not least, he is young. He will just be 21 in July. So he is still growing into his body and will do nothing but get stronger and more fluid, especially with Tomsula and the NFL level S&C coaches for the Redskins.

I still haven't watched Settle so right now, I just know what people have said about him without any of my own bent.  Settle seems in reputation the Ryan Anderson of the draft in a way.  That is, he seems be really liked or disliked depending on the audience.  With Anderson he had his critics saying the dude simply doesn't have the athletcism, arm length and speed to become an established pass rusher in the NFL -- the motor/attitude can get you through college but when you play with the really good athletes you likely will struggle.  Then those that liked Ryan talked about the motor, the attitude, the smarts, how he can set the edge.

I noticed one of the critics of Anderson -- Jon Ledyard (same guy who loves Guice over Barkley) isn't a big Settle guy.  Brugler who I like and I know some others do as well, isn't really in love with Settle, I recall them from an interview.

I'll get around to watching some Settle.  Just saying its hard to miss that Settle is the guy this year that reminds me some of the rap around Anderson where some really dug the guy and some really didn't.  On Settle the wrap from the critics seems to be poor balance.   I noticed the PFF guys actually like Settle but at the same time they don't think he's a natural nose in spite of his size, they think he plays more like a 5 technique.   So in their eyes, he'd play the spot that McGee plays now.

https://www.ndtscouting.com/ledyard-2018-nfl-draft-final-positional-rankings-interior-defensive-line/

21. Tim Settle, Virginia Tech – Late Day 3

Settle was getting first round hype before the Combine, but never from this analyst. I am at a loss as to what people see in Settle’s tape, as most of his top plays come as a result of his opponent’s failures rather than anything he does to free himself up. Settle’s balance and technique are terrible, and he’s on the ground twice as often as he makes a play. I’ll admit he moved a little better on tape than he did at the Combine, where he could barely get through drills without falling down, but Settle’s testing doesn’t leave much room for a high upside projection.

Ideal Scheme Fit: Settle is 330 and has had issues controlling his weight in the past. Ideally I’d have him cut weight and develop him for an attacking, upfield role, because his first step is his best asset.

Jon LedyardVerified account @LedyardNFLDraft
FollowingFollowing @LedyardNFLDraf

Ryan Anderson 7.73 3-cone at 6-2, 253 pounds. Weight-adjusted folks, that's gotta be one of the worst results in memory, right?

Brugler

15. TIM SETTLE | Virginia Tech 6026 | 329 lbs. | rSO. Manassas, Va. (Stonewall Jackson) 7/11/1997 (age 20.8) #4

BACKGROUND: A four-star defensive tackle recruit out of high school, Tim Settle Jr. earned First Team all-metro honors his junior and senior seasons at Stonewall Jackson (just outside Washington D.C.), recording 72 tackles, 25 tackles for loss and three sacks in 2014. He was considered a top-10 recruit in the state of Virginia and all the usual suspects (Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson, etc.) offered him a scholarship. Settle narrowed his finalists down to Virginia Tech, Louisville and USC, deciding to stay in-state and sign with the Hokies. After redshirting in 2015, he saw action in every game in 2016 as a reserve on the defensive line, recording 17 tackles and 7.0 tackles for loss. Settle became a sophomore starter and started every game in 2017, finishing with 36 tackles, 12.5 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks to earn Second Team All-ACC honors. He chose to forego his final season and enter the 2018 NFL Draft.

STRENGTHS: Carries a lot of weight with an impressive blend of athleticism and body mass...explodes out of his stance with agile feet for his size...reactive quickness and lateral range to pursue the football outside the tackle box...excellent effort for the position and wants to fill up the stat sheet...raw strength to work through the numbers of blockers...gap splitter with fierce swipe/punch to generate force...sniffs out screens and his play recognition appeared to improve throughout the season...regular on both sides of the line of scrimmage with 36.8% of his career tackles coming in the opponent’s backfield...was in the “best shape of his life” in 2017, according to Virginia Tech defensive line coach Charley Wiles – worked hard in the weight room and with his diet.

WEAKNESSES: Weight needs monitored to keep from ballooning out of control...plays tall and top-heavy...anchor strength comes and goes, especially when he fails to drop his hips at contact...too often ends up where the blocker wants...unreliable gap discipline...relies on his effort over instincts or technique...active, but wild limbs and finds himself off balance...pass rush lacks thought or purpose...fatigues and play falls off later in games...still learning blocking schemes...didn’t take academics seriously and was close to being a non-qualifier out of high school...only one season as a starter and lacks ideal experience at the college level.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Virginia Tech, Settle settled in as the nose tackle over the A-gap in the Hokies’ gap slanting defensive front. He doesn’t have an extensive resume, but when evaluating Virginia Tech prospects, it was impossible not to notice his burst and strength, creating splash plays that put him on the NFL radar. A massive player, Settle is a bulldozer on the loose with his light feet and natural momentum to power through congestion. He weighed 360+ pounds during his redshirt season and worked hard to stay around 330-pounds in 2017, but his weight management will be an important variable for his NFL future. Overall, Settle isn’t yet the sum of his parts and needs time to evolve from a traits prospect into a more consistent football player.

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I still haven't watched Settle so right now, I just know what people have said about him without any of my own bent.  Settle seems in reputation the Ryan Anderson of the draft in a way.  That is, he seems be really liked or disliked depending on the audience.  With Anderson he had his critics saying the dude simply doesn't have the athletcism, arm length and speed to become an established pass rusher in the NFL -- the motor/attitude can get you through college but when you play with the really good athletes you likely will struggle.  Then those that liked Ryan talked about the motor, the attitude, the smarts, how he can set the edge.

edit 

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Virginia Tech, Settle settled in as the nose tackle over the A-gap in the Hokies’ gap slanting defensive front. He doesn’t have an extensive resume, but when evaluating Virginia Tech prospects, it was impossible not to notice his burst and strength, creating splash plays that put him on the NFL radar. A massive player, Settle is a bulldozer on the loose with his light feet and natural momentum to power through congestion. He weighed 360+ pounds during his redshirt season and worked hard to stay around 330-pounds in 2017, but his weight management will be an important variable for his NFL future. Overall, Settle isn’t yet the sum of his parts and needs time to evolve from a traits prospect into a more consistent football player.

I generally like what Brugler has to say but I think he is a bit off here. First, and I will keep repeating this until people stop saying he had a "weight problem"  - he was over weight his red-shirt season. But after a challenge from his coaches changed his diet and work out habits and lost 30-35 lbs (depending on what you read) - he didn't lose some then gain some then lose some. He steadily lost weight. That is not weight control issue. Some had him listed at 330 but I believe he played mostly at 335. More importantly, he continued that effort even after the season was over dropping an additional 6 lbs before the combine and another 6 by his pro-day getting down to 323. He also took a leadership role at VT in terms of weight room, conditioning and work ethic. In 2016 I agree he ran out of gas some at the end of games. But not in 2017. He got stronger and the longer the game the more plays he made. He also played 40 to 50 snaps a game in 2017, and all over the line. He lined up virtually everywhere from 0 to 5. Not bad for a guy was supposed to be out of shape. 

He is also only 20 - will be 21 in July. At least some of the balance issue - which I agree can be seen on some plays and in the combine a few times - is because he is still growing into his body. He was a RB in JR high and even some in HS before he started to grow so much. His feet try to move faster than his girth allows him. That will come with age and technique. I see him befitting from Tomsula greatly as his body and game knowledge grow. 

He also had some academic issues true - but he got it together and did what he had to to stay in VT - not some just get my by school. VT is a tough school academically so it's not like he took the easy way out. 

He does over-run plays - very susceptible to draw plays right now. He needs to improve his vision when engaged with blockers. Is he a finished product? No. I did not see him as 1st rd talent. I saw him mid-2nd. I took him a little high from what I had him graded but all the rest of the NT I liked ahead of him were gone and I had no one else I liked even in the 4th after him. It was a need selection I admit. 

I am not saying I think he is a sure fire pro-bowler. But this guy has so much potential. He has rare speed and quickness. He is a good finisher. Had a great motor, a great work ethic and an excellent attitude - at least at college. Now he would not be the first to do all that in college but then fall apart in the NFL. But I am not seeing it. I think he will at the very least be a solid Dline back-up that has the versatility to play all along the line - he did so at VT. I truly believe he will get some some meaningful playing time this year.  

Eeeeesh relax folks... All I meant was that we should play the probabilities and have specific personnel for specific situations. Obviously I understand that there are audibles and that our personnel group won't be correct anywhere near 100% of the time. But when it's 3rd and 1, Lanier shouldn't be in. On 3rd and 7, Lanier should be in. If a team runs the ball on 1st down 60% of the time, Lanier shouldn't be in. How are so many missing this point?

If the scouts are doing their job, we should have advanced analytics on the opposing team's tendencies. 

5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am not saying I think he is a sure fire pro-bowler. But this guy has so much potential. He has rare speed and quickness. He is a good finisher. Had a great motor, a great work ethic and an excellent attitude - at least at college. Now he would not be the first to do all that in college but then fall apart in the NFL. But I am not seeing it. I think he will at the very least be a solid Dline back-up that has the versatility to play all along the line - he did so at VT. I truly believe he will get some some meaningful playing time this year.  

I appreciate the enthusiasm about him.  Like I said I need to watch Settle, I've been angling to do it way back before even the draft.  I just noticed among our later picks, Settle, Hamilton, Quinn, Stroman -- its interesting that there are some draft geeks that like to slam Settle and not so much the other guys.  

But personally, I like Settle in theory.  Another big run stuffing defensive tackle.  I got to get around to watching some of his games. 

Archived