Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Exposing undemocratic disinformation tactics, Cambridge Analytica etc. data mining

LadySkinsFan

I don't know if it's really sunk in for some people about the crux of what was so horrible about the PRISM program:  It wasn't that the government was collecting all that data without us knowing, its that the program primarily was the government having a backdoor into these tech companies that were already collecting an obscene amount of data on us. Government stopped some of their R&D once they realized places like Google and Facebook already had what they were looking for.

Sounds like the solution was to let the companies keep doing this, but instead of a backdoor, the government now has to ask nicely (whatever the *** that means, got a bridge to sell you in Kansas as well).  Somehow we're more pissed about the government using that data to find terrorist then we are about the fact these companies are selling this data to each other.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I don't know if it's really sunk in for some people about the crux of what was so horrible about the PRISM program:  It wasn't that the government was collecting all that data without us knowing, its that the program primarily was the government having a backdoor into these tech companies that were already collecting an obscene amount of data on us. Government stopped some of their R&D once they realized places like Google and Facebook already had what they were looking for.

Sounds like the solution was to let the companies keep doing this, but instead of a backdoor, the government now has to ask nicely (whatever the *** that means, got a bridge to sell you in Kansas as well).  Somehow we're more pissed about the government using that data to find terrorist then we are about the fact these companies are selling this data to each other.

Neither are right, but I feel you completely.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

the government now has to ask nicely (whatever the *** that means, got a bridge to sell you in Kansas as well). 

National Security Letters

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Somehow we're more pissed about the government using that data to find terrorist then we are about the fact these companies are selling this data to each other.

People see immediate value in something they use like facebook, and no real value in something they "don't use" like the government (regardless of how stupid that idea is.)

Also - our government brought that on themselves. I'm all about hunting the terrorists effectively, even our domestic ones, but it doesn't help when we find out NSA people were using their access to spy on their girl friends and x wives.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-surveillance-watchdog/nsa-staff-used-spy-tools-on-spouses-ex-lovers-watchdog-idUSBRE98Q14G20130927

13 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Been trying to get everyone I know off of FB for awhile now, but it's clear the hooks run deep. Sad really, considering what it (and other social media platdorms) initially started as.

Brother, if they really want info on you, they can get it from somewhere else.  In your heart, you know this to be true, there is nowhere to hide anymore (unless you want to be one with nature up in the mountains up the mountains or something, but clear that with your gf first).

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

National Security Letters

Pretty sure they were doing FISA court orders even before they formally called it the PRISM program, just think there's a little more oversight now (AKA FISA Court is not a secret anymore)

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Pretty sure they were doing FISA court orders even before they formally called it the PRISM program, just think there's a little more oversight now (AKA FISA Court is not a secret anymore)

oh yeah fisa was around before that.

i was more making a joke about the "asking nicely" part

letters that say you have to give me what i asked for because a judge you never spoke with has decided so, and oh btw you can't even tell anyone we asked.

i don't know enough to know if the oversight has improved. from the leaked documents from one of them (snowden? manning? idk) the transcripts showed FISA being quite unhappy the NSA wasn't adhering to their rulings, or were otherwise bs'ing them.

which we're off track anyways - the point was that our government saw our tech companies as a gold mine because, well, they are... and i agree with you on that :) 

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Brother, if they really want info on you, they can get it from somewhere else.  In your heart, you know this to be true, there is nowhere to hide anymore (unless you want to be one with nature up in the mountains up the mountains or something, but clear that with your gf first).

This is a really fun read linked inside of the article in @FanboyOf91's tweet posted on the previous page. http://crackedlabs.org/en/corporate-surveillance Yup.

um....

do you "announce" you're seeking a warrant to seize someone's servers?

seems silly...

i would think the smart move is to just show up and take them... reminds me of the hillary email server investigation... when the fbi took months to "request" the servers. shocker, they were scrubbed. 

6 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

This seems bad. Like criminally bad. Like impeachment bad, if they can prove a connection to Dump.

Wonder if it will get play in the media.

Could someone break down how exactly this is bad for Trump? I mean it's not a good look that your data firm is doing shady stuff like this but i don't see how this sex/bribes ties back to him. 

Actually, I'm struggling to understand how the data and ads side of this is illegal at all on CA's side. Seems the violation is from FB and the data gathering and access. Like i said, i've been involved in targeted and customized marketing for over a decade. 

I must be misunderstanding this because it seems to be a normal practice of tracking internet habits and developing marketing campaigns around customer/audience data compiled. 

If there is a connection between Dump and these dudes, I think discussing blackmail techniques isn't the best (for all involved). I suspect it went beyond the talking about it. 

Again, this is all speculation from me. But part of Nixon's undoing via Watergate was the $$$ connection from CREEP and the break-in/shenanigans/dirty tricks that his people undertook. Plus the cover-up by Nixon of those activities. If Dump is doing the same, then yeah...it's bad. 

1 hour ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Could someone break down how exactly this is bad for Trump? I mean it's not a good look that your data firm is doing shady stuff like this but i don't see how this sex/bribes ties back to him. 

Actually, I'm struggling to understand how the data and ads side of this is illegal at all on CA's side. Seems the violation is from FB and the data gathering and access. Like i said, i've been involved in targeted and customized marketing for over a decade. 

I must be misunderstanding this because it seems to be a normal practice of tracking internet habits and developing marketing campaigns around customer/audience data compiled. 

The issue is that Bannon was using this firm to gather data.

And the Mercers were funding them.

The Mercers gave money to Trump and told them to hire Bannon.

Also, Kushner ran their digital team.

Kushner, Manafort were primary players in hiring Cambridge Analytica for Trump campaign

1 hour ago, SoulSkin said:

This is a really fun read linked inside of the article in @FanboyOf91's tweet posted on the previous page. http://crackedlabs.org/en/corporate-surveillance Yup.

I've read smaller articles that touched on this, and big reason I use extensions like no-script, but I'll need to see that one (looks way more in depth compared to what I've read already).

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Either Kushner gave data to the Russians for targeting bots/disinformation attacks or the Russians gave Kushner data for same.

If anyone thinks that a control freak like Trump didn't know what was going on and ordered it, the are very illinformed.

No one had to give the Russians anything. ANYONE in the world can purchase the data. Anyone with a couple thousand dollars can pull over 5000 points of data on any person in America. Your information is already for sale. Some of the things they can do with this data is really scary, and this is on the commercial side, not the government side. 

http://www.bigdataexchange.com/

Archived