Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which wide receiver would you like Washington to get?

RG3fan

23 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I also think we'll be looking to throw serious coin at Landry now. Not convinced we'd get him here, but we'll be in the race if he hits FA.

I'm on the fence with him... is he worth what he's gonna get?  That's going to be no. 1 WR money, and I'm not convinced he's more than a younger Pierre Garcon.  He has nice stats, but does he have $12 mil + value? 

8 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I'm on the fence with him... is he worth what he's gonna get?  That's going to be no. 1 WR money, and I'm not convinced he's more than a younger Pierre Garcon.  He has nice stats, but does he have $12 mil + value? 

Is he better than Doctson?  Grant? Crowder?  The answer is yes, and we need somebody with experience and physical talent to boost this group of WRs.  

Doctson has all the talent in the world, so maybe he puts it together this year, which is effectively his second year, and will be his first fully healthy off-season.  That's my hope.  

But you can't plan on hope.  You need a big-time (not big-name) receiver here so that there is an option and the offense doesn't stall out when (not if) CT and Reed are hurt again.

13 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yep he's after a contract like Adams snagged in GB. I have a feeling we will look to make a statement in FA, assuming the Cousins situation is resolved, we really are in dire need of a high end WR.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Is he better than Doctson?  Grant? Crowder?  The answer is yes, and we need somebody with experience and physical talent to boost this group of WRs.  

Doctson has all the talent in the world, so maybe he puts it together this year, which is effectively his second year, and will be his first fully healthy off-season.  That's my hope.  

But you can't plan on hope.  You need a big-time (not big-name) receiver here so that there is an option and the offense doesn't stall out when (not if) CT and Reed are hurt again.

I agree completely, but I also want to be smart when it comes to signing guys.  He's the top WR in the market... I don't want us to get happy about that and over pay.  There are guys that fit that description that could cost half what Landry does.  I want a vet presence in there... the team needs it desperately imho.  I see Moncrief, Wallace, Marqise Lee, Paul Richardson (also could be expensive) who bring a lot of the same thing to the table... 

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I agree completely, but I also want to be smart when it comes to signing guys.  He's the top WR in the market... I don't want us to get happy about that and over pay.  There are guys that fit that description that could cost half what Landry does.  I want a vet presence in there... the team needs it desperately imho.  I see Moncrief, Wallace, Marqise Lee, Paul Richardson (also could be expensive) who bring a lot of the same thing to the table... 

Maybe.  I kinda think they need to go "all in" for the next 2-3 years, and spend as aggressively as possible.

NOTE: This isn't my preference, but it's the situation they've put themselves in by signing a 33 year old QB.  They don't really have the luxury of dilly dallying around too much with 3 or 4 year plans.  They've got to go NOW.  If that means being creative with the cap, fine.

I want them to go out and get the best players they can and attempt to make some run at it before we're back in QB hell because Alex Smith's right arm falls off...

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Maybe.  I kinda think they need to go "all in" for the next 2-3 years, and spend as aggressively as possible.

NOTE: This isn't my preference, but it's the situation they've put themselves in by signing a 33 year old QB.  They don't really have the luxury of dilly dallying around too much with 3 or 4 year plans.  They've got to go NOW.  If that means being creative with the cap, fine.

I want them to go out and get the best players they can and attempt to make some run at it before we're back in QB hell because Alex Smith's right arm falls off...

Tend to agree and think that's why we'll be very aggressive in FA. 

why not?  if one of those plans is to have Smith's heir apparent on the roster in the next 48 months.. This is when you build a team long term.  Find a number of guys at all positions who fit your system now, as well as the system you'll be running in 5 years after this guy is gone.  

I have little faith that the front office is looking at it this way, but i guess i can hope...  eh, who am I kiddin. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Tend to agree and think that's why we'll be very aggressive in FA. 

Also, I'm actually pretty sure that it's BURNING up Dan that the Eagles won the SB, while we've been being fiscally conservative with contracts.  That's not his nature.  Now, in the past he's wanted to spend a ton of money on the wrong guys.  But if there was anybody in the organization who could figure out who the right guys were, maybe it works out better to be a little more aggressive now.

Chances are though they'll make Ryan Grant the highest paid WR in league history because he's tops on their board...  (ie: they're not smart enough to know who to spend money on.)

2 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

why not?  if one of those plans is to have Smith's heir apparent on the roster in the next 48 months.. This is when you build a team long term.  Find a number of guys at all positions who fit your system now, as well as the system you'll be running in 5 years after this guy is gone.  

I have little faith that the front office is looking at it this way, but i guess i can hope...  eh, who am I kiddin. 

You are asking Bruce Allen to project a roster more than 2 weeks in the future. 

That's a funny joke.  

Also, I'm actually pretty sure that it's BURNING up Dan that the Eagles won the SB, while we've been being fiscally conservative with contracts.  That's not his nature.  Now, in the past he's wanted to spend a ton of money on the wrong guys.  But if there was anybody in the organization who could figure out who the right guys were, maybe it works out better to be a little more aggressive now.

Chances are though they'll make Ryan Grant the highest paid WR in league history because he's tops on their board...  (ie: they're not smart enough to know who to spend money on.)

You are asking Bruce Allen to project a roster more than 2 weeks in the future. 

That's a funny joke.  

it seemed like a good idea at the time

right now I would say Calvin Ridley has the best upside of any possible WR get.  

I’m still high on Kirk too and I think he’ll test well but apparently he has some stuff to work out.

I like the idea of at least two WR additions, so maybe FA for depth (wilson/Thomas?) and at least consider scooping a rookie.  Doctson can still be a #1, it takes time as we know to really develop at WR in the league.  I think too again it’s worth saying that there is a role of a dynamic deep threat in this offense.  It’s probably not going to be filled by any of the names in FA but granted there are decent options.  I just don’t see a scanario where we don’t overpay for it given the market.

Spending any money on Jarvis Landry would be as good as lighting it on fire, or giving it back to Terrible Pryor.

The last thing we need is 130 catches for 800 yards.

Allen Robinson, sure.

Albert Wilson? already has some connection with Smith and will cost pennies. 

Paul Richardson seems like a good value.

I'd even throw some money at Matthew Slater for special teams sake (seeing as how ours was terrible again last year)

Donte Moncreif or Jaron Brown or someone with talent and upside.

even Taylor Gabriel as a deep-threat option.

i see no real reason to draft a receiver early when we can sign a couple key contributors for pretty cheap and have some gaping holes elsewhere.

Just continuing to gather intel on some of these possible WRs. This is a great read on Kirk. I watched the tape on him and they say that he fights th ball when he catches it, and this is pretty much the only backlash to him... this is also coachable.

its interesting to point out that he used to be an RB so he is built like one and stronger that the average slot WR.  It’s interesting to read that this panthers fan mentions Kirk is a good intermediate between their small fast guy (Samuel) and their possession WR (Funchess).  Our WR core is in a similar dynamic.

Again big play potential anywhere on the field, must be accounted for.  If he gets to 4.4 at the combine he’ll be hard to pass up... but also Calvin Ridley and his Marvin Harrison comp is extremely tempting as well.  No FA WR can match the upside of these two.  Dig in y’all

https://www.catscratchreader.com/2018/1/26/16938836/christian-kirk-scouting-report

Honestly, I don't have a particular receiver I'm interested in.

It's more about the TYPE of receiver.

Need speed receivers (plural)..and when I say speed I'm talking about SPEED.

The type of speed that makes defensive backs backpedal as soon as they line up across from this receiver (whoever he is).

The Eagles were in a similar spot last year. They had a talented but inconsistent 1st round pick WR in Algalor. They went out and got Jeffrey to pair with him(along with Smith). We need to do the same. Maybe not someone quite as good as Jeffrey, who is exceptionally talented but came cheap because of a lack of consistency in Chicago(due to crappy QB play).

17 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

Sign Cousins to the tag and then trade him to Minnesota for Thielan or Diggs

This isn't Playstation bro.

10 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This approach has resulted in signings that simply have not worked out for the most part.  Now I'm not suggesting we go back to the spending ways of the past but we also don't need any more players like Bruton, Pryor, Pae etc.  

The majority of free agent signings don't pan out. For that very reason you don't go all in on FA. Keep doing what we have been and hope 1 or 2 pan out from each off-season's signings and take solace in the fact that even if the majority don't pan out you didn't screw yourself by overpaying. Continue to focus on the draft...

Especially with wide receiver. I feel like it's gotta be the worst position as far as boom/bust free agents

On 2/3/2018 at 1:08 PM, freakofthesouth said:

I’m just gonna put this here.

Per Daniel Jeremiah’s top 50, updated Jan 26 (I also read elsewhere the comp is G Tate but with more speed):

christian-kirk-180122-200x200.jpg

Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M 

Kirk is a compact, muscled-up WR. He's built like a running back and plays in the slot as well as outside. He's an exceptional route runner. He understands how to leverage defensive backs, sell double-moves and cleanly enter/exit the break point. He has strong hands and tracks the ball smoothly. He does a lot of work in the middle of the field and doesn't let the heavy traffic affect his concentration. I love his strength, elusiveness and will after the catch. Kirk reminds me a lot of Golden Tate coming out of Notre Dame, and I believe he can have similar success.

I LOVE that he is also an accomplished PR...

Okay so I’m bored so here goes, looking past my initial feeling of staying the hell away from all of these guys

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

Lets start with the No’s funny how many times these names come up already

Jarvis Landry - way too expensive plays the slot and won’t help us. Overpriced no thanks

Allen Robinson - Dude was good in 2014 but seriously has done nothing since. Going to get way overpaid

Donte Moncrief - if there is a guy in this league who shown that he’s made only because of the QB throwing to him it’s Moncrief. No thanks unless Lucks coming with him 

John Brown - This hurts but with his history of injuries no thanks. Might not even be in the league in a year

Michael Floyd - Dude is a headcase no thanks

Sammy Watkins - Something is not right with this guy. He just played on an offensive that was awesome and he had his worst season. Buyer beware and I think some idiot team throws a boat load of money at him and I hope it’s not the Redskins

Albert Wilson - Just because a guy is cheap doesn’t mean he’s any good. We’ve seen Alex to Albert and it’s yuck, don’t need that here 

Now the Maybes which is as close as your going to get to me saying Yes to any of these guys 

Josh Gordon - I know he’s a risk because of the drugs but he is incredibly talented. If they could sign him to a deal that protects them in case he relapses and I consider all of these guys risks then why not take the biggest ones out there with the highest ceiling?

Michael Crabtree - Another risky player the fact is he is a stud and likely to get cut this year. Fits the mold of outside receiver, fast guy, great hands, expirenced. The issue with Crabs is his fighting on the field but if he keeps his act together he’s a good receiver 

Emmanuel Sanders - If the Broncos cut him he’s a good talented pass catcher. If the Broncos cut Sanders it’s because they landed Kirk and it would be fitting to me to see Denver get Kirk and lose Sanders because of all of the people who said keeping Kirk didn’t mean we couldn’t sign or keep guys

Truth is that I hope they don’t draft any receivers, they take too long to develop

And the truth is that after the Kirk situation I really hope to see the team lock up players a year early and get away from trying to sign guys entering Free Agency and avoid the tag like the plague. Which again goes back to signing Crowder to a LTD this offseason and signing guys who are cut not free agents

Archived