Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP Perspective: One fan's attempt at a trial separation from the Redskins

Boss_Hogg

Trial Seperation  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Does taking a trial separation from your favorite NFL team make you a fake fan?

Bailing on your team is something I would never consider. Until I became a Snyder Redskins fan.  Now I'm not so sure I'll totally bail but if they screw up this Cousins thing I'll pull way back for sure, maybe follow the Raven as they are the team in my market. But to jump on the Steelers?  Now everyone knows that's just wrong. 

I'm not so sure that I buy the "born into" theme that others have brought up in this thread.  Up here in the great white north, that would have made me a natural Bills fan.  However, I hate the Bills.  I learned to hate them during the "bickering bills" phase that they went through in the late 80s early 90s.

However, I've always been a Redskins fan.  Ever since I picked up that little helmet sticker in school because I liked the logo, when I still didn't even completely realize what football was.  That was a choice that I made, and everybody has the potential to make that choice.  There are out-of-market fans everywhere.

In response to the main query on the thread:  People can only have their heart broken so many times before apathy kicks in.  At some point, just like in an abusive relationship, you've gotta make the choice about whether to stay or leave.  The guy in the article made his choice to leave.  That does not make him a fake fan.  Just like all of those people who turned in their Redskins "fan cards" a few years ago aren't fake fans.  (Well, the might be now, because they don't have cards anymore).  You have to step away if the only reward you get from putting your heart and soul into something is constant disappointment.

In my mind, the only "fake" fans are bandwagoners.  Redskins gear last week, Steelers gear this week, Vikings gear next week.

14 minutes ago, Wrock said:

I'm not so sure that I buy the "born into" theme that others have brought up in this thread.  Up here in the great white north, that would have made me a natural Bills fan.  However, I hate the Bills.  I learned to hate them during the "bickering bills" phase that they went through in the late 80s early 90s.

However, I've always been a Redskins fan.  Ever since I picked up that little helmet sticker in school because I liked the logo, when I still didn't even completely realize what football was.  That was a choice that I made, and everybody has the potential to make that choice.  There are out-of-market fans everywhere.

But like you said, it was a choice you made many, many years ago.  While you weren't born into it in the sense your dad made you pick them, you adopted them at a very early age.  It's hard to walk away from something like that.

19 hours ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

So I have a confession...something I need to get off my chest..it is absolutely %100 Officially Official that the Steelers and Bengals rivalry is the hottest and mostest alive rivalry in all sports..sure the lions and bears and the redskins and giants have been playing each other longer but that Bengals Steelers rivalry tops them all..

Steelers and Bengals?  Not even close.  Unless you mean at the moment, but I'd put Steelers-Ravens in that division first as of now. Other longtime rivalries that absolutely are more intense over the years than Steelers-Bengals:

Redskins-Cowboys

Packers-Bears

Chiefs-Raiders

Jets-Dolphins

Rams-49ers

Giants-Eagles

And I'd even say Browns-Bengals in that division have a more historic bitterness to it (battle of Ohio) then Steelers-Bengals.  Steelers and Browns used to have some knock-down, drag-out, slugfests over the years.

1 hour ago, Wrock said:

A lot of us were "born" into it.  You may have been one of the ones who's family didn't care for sports or let you decide on your own, but for some of us, once we got a taste of sports and the whole family was rooting for the Redskins; well, we just followed. I think that happens a lot in all the cities and markets. 

The Orioles were the "local" team when I was growing up in the late 70s and early 80s as I never knew the Senators, but I imagine if DC had have been given the Nationals back then, I'd be a Nats fan.  But I stuck with the O's. 

I have several friends that were born in West Tennessee and most of them have teams scattered all over the country in all sports, because there were no Titans, Predators or Grizzlies at the time.  One friend is a Dodgers, Steelers, LA Kings (Gretzky) fan (notice all were winners in the 80s).  Another is Lakers, Dodgers, Bears fan (notice all were winners in the 80s) and another who is a Dolphins, Indians and Cavs fan (Cavs before they were good). Now, I do have one friend who is all Cleveland (Cavs, Indians and Browns) since the early 80s, but he's not from Cleveland. Go figure.

I don't see anything wrong with anyone following another team besides the Redskins. As long as that team isn't in our division. But if that team is playing against the Redskins and they're rooting for that team... ?. I can see leaving the Redskins because of an owner who constantly ignores getting and holding on to GM, but not because of a player.  

4 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Steelers and Bengals?  Not even close.  Unless you mean at the moment, but I'd put Steelers-Ravens in that division first as of now. Other longtime rivalries that absolutely are more intense over the years than Steelers-Bengals:

Redskins-Cowboys

Packers-Bears

Chiefs-Raiders

Jets-Dolphins

Rams-49ers

Giants-Eagles

And I'd even say Browns-Bengals in that division have a more historic bitterness to it (battle of Ohio) then Steelers-Bengals.  Steelers and Browns used to have some knock-down, drag-out, slugfests over the years.

A lot of us were "born" into it.  You may have been one of the ones who's family didn't care for sports or let you decide on your own, but for some of us, once we got a taste of sports and the whole family was rooting for the Redskins; well, we just followed. I think that happens a lot in all the cities and markets. 

The Orioles were the "local" team when I was growing up in the late 70s and early 80s as I never knew the Senators, but I imagine if DC had have been given the Nationals back then, I'd be a Nats fan.  But I stuck with the O's. 

I have several friends that were born in West Tennessee and most of them have teams scattered all over the country in all sports, because there were no Titans, Predators or Grizzlies at the time.  One friend is a Dodgers, Steelers, LA Kings (Gretzky) fan (notice all were winners in the 80s).  Another is Lakers, Dodgers, Bears fan (notice all were winners in the 80s) and another who is a Dolphins, Indians and Cavs fan (Cavs before they were good). Now, I do have one friend who is all Cleveland (Cavs, Indians and Browns) since the early 80s, but he's not from Cleveland. Go figure.

Do a little more research...no way that skins boys rivalry belong on there..it's gotten so soft..so ridiculous.. maybe it is a to each their own thing but there is no hotter rivalry than the Bengals Steelers they absolutely hate each other the fans the players hate each other the hits that happen in those games between the two are amazing..

43 minutes ago, Taylorcooley1 said:

Do a little more research...no way that skins boys rivalry belong on there..it's gotten so soft..so ridiculous.. maybe it is a to each their own thing but there is no hotter rivalry than the Bengals Steelers they absolutely hate each other the fans the players hate each other the hits that happen in those games between the two are amazing..

Read what I wrote again. I said maybe Steelers-Bengals “now”, but not historically. But I still think Steelers-Ravens is hotter. 

The other rivalries I mentioned were historical. Some have cooled off like the Skins and Boys. 

I suppose this is Pollyanna-ish,  but I still hope they'll figure it out.  I don't have any other options.  Can I fault Mr. Richardson?  Yes and no.  Like many others in this thread,  I understand his desire to just call it a day;  also,  like many others,  the instantaneous decision to jump ship to another team is something I can't cosign.  I have waxed and waned in over four decades of fandom,  but I would myself never ever just jump to another team.  No way,  no how.  As the years since our last title go by however,  I find myself increasingly disinterested beyond the first two quarters of the season,  at which point we are usually out of the division race and only marginally in any possible wildcard berths.  I try to tell myself that one day we will right the ship,  but damn...the Rams did it in one freaking year,  more or less...why the *&%$  can't we?  That's when things get tough,  sledding-wise.  Still,  all in all,  if I never see the 'Skins in another SB for the rest of my life,  I got to see them play live in five,  and win three of them.  That may have to be enough.  I hope like hell it isn't the end of that narrative,  but I cannot dismiss the possibility that it may be,  at this point.

On 1/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, zoony said:

Probably pretty good.  Divisional round of playoffs and he knows who the qb will be in 2018

Redskins fans playing hide the pickle

The Pittsburgh Steelers are on their THIRD head coach in their entire history. Mike Tomlin has been their head coach for 11 years.

They have an insanely good, young core of players on defense and offense, and the best receiver in the league in Antonio Brown.

Can one even imagine that as a Redskins fan?

20 hours ago, Hiro said:

The Pittsburgh Steelers are on their THIRD head coach in their entire history. Mike Tomlin has been their head coach for 11 years.

They have an insanely good, young core of players on defense and offense, and the best receiver in the league in Antonio Brown.

Can one even imagine that as a Redskins fan?

Third head coach since 1969. Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. Steelers have been around since 1933. Many coaches before those three.  13 to be exact for a total of 16. (I looked it up)

6 hours ago, pjfootballer said:

Third head coach since 1969. Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. Steelers have been around since 1933. Many coaches before those three.  13 to be exact for a total of 16. (I looked it up)

Snyder was on his third head coach by his 4th year as owner and his fourth by his 6th year!!

I am 63. I grew up a Colts fan in the Johnny U era, but began following the Redskins when they hired Lombardi. When the Colts GM at the time (Joe Thomas) began dismantling the SB team and ultimately traded Unitas to the Chargers, I went all in for the Redskins. After 48 years and only a couple of stetches where it was fun being a Redskin, I am starting to think it may be time to switch again or at least find another team with a solid organization to pull for. Due to Jerry Jones’ postion on the National Anthem, I don’t even hate the Cowboys anymore.

Speaking as a former fan who's finishing my second season of a trial separation from the Redskins and the NFL, I urge everyone to give it a try.  (And no, I haven't jumped ship to some other team's bandwagon - I have no respect for that sort of thing.  I'm done with this league, but if I ever returned to watching it, I'd still be a Redskins fan.  That's never changing, unlike a few friends I know strutting around in Tom Brady jerseys these days.  :nono:)  I just got tired of this team and this league for a bunch of reasons, none of which were related to the whole anthem protests, BTW.  Regarding the Redskins, they're always going to be mediocre.  Sure, they're not a Browns-level garbage fire, but they're always going to disappoint you.  It just wasn't fun anymore, and that's not going to change for quite some time.  Sunday afternoons in the fall have been a lot more pleasant the past two years when I haven't wasted them watching this team anymore.  There are far better ways to spend my time these days.  

Still, discontentment with the Redskins is not the biggest factor in why I'm done with the NFL.  First, the whole CTE/player health thing just got too big to ignore.  This game is destructive to players' long-term health, and almost nobody at any level (college or pro) cares.  For the same reasons I never enjoyed boxing or MMA, it became harder to enjoy football.  The NFL has talked about player safety, but it's all been talk.  They're still letting players with obvious concussions back on to the field, nevermind the toll this sport takes on the rest of the body.  It just gets hard to watch.  I'm glad my son never played this sport, and hopefully other parents find other ways for their kids to play sports without the possibility of permanent brain damage.  

The other big factor was the sheer greed of the owners, especially when it comes to stadium deals, PSLs, and other ways the owners are trying to milk the public.  Things like Thursday Night Football, the NFL Network, and the three-day draft are just tiresome - it's overexposure to the point of exhaustion.  It's like the owners can't understand the idea of too much of a good thing.  Far worse, however, are the owners (almost all of whom are billionaires) holding teams for ransom, threatening to move if local or state governments don't pay for new stadiums.  Even worse is the fact that some fans actually lobby local governments for these giveaways!  "Sure, the local schools are terrible and the roads are falling apart, but it doesn't matter because my favorite team just got a shiny new stadium!  Too bad tickets are more than I can afford!"  SMH.  I'm glad some cities are finally wising up, and fans are beginning to realize that the owners asking the fans for loyalty are giving none of that loyalty back whatsoever.  People are finally starting to realize that the owners and the league see them as nothing more than bank accounts to be drained, and responding accordingly.   

Anyway, that's one former fan's perspective.  I may still watch the Super Bowl just because of the commercials, but if they canceled it, it wouldn't bother me in the least.  Bring on the final rounds of the UEFA Champions League, the Caps' inevitable playoff collapse (but at least they make the playoffs), and the World Cup.  Not going to miss you, NFL.  

On January 22, 2018 at 3:35 PM, Mursilis said:

The other big factor was the sheer greed of the owners, especially when it comes to stadium deals

hey, at least when a team dupes the taxpayers into a new stadium they suddenly become relevant for a few years. 

On 1/17/2018 at 7:13 PM, Taylorcooley1 said:

So can you explain "that guy" that's at the sports bar jumping from table to table rooting your team on one minute then rooting on the team you're playing against the next minute all because of fantasy football?.. and I'm talking about the guy that admits he has no favorite team no real favorite player just in it for winning Fantasy Football...the guy that doesn't even care about the play that was made by the player that won him points in his fantasy...just as long as he got the touch down right lol

He's not a fake fan because he doesn't call him self a fan at all...So more power to him.  I hate that guy  (For the most part -I hate anyone that wants to tell me about their fantasy football stats...I dont care. In fact - I always response the same way "Thats fascinating.  Let me now tell you how I was playing D&D and I was facing a goblin with super power who could kill me but i rolled a 5, which gave me a force field to protect myself - its about the same).    

3 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

He's not a fake fan because he doesn't call him self a fan at all...So more power to him.  I hate that guy  (For the most part -I hate anyone that wants to tell me about their fantasy football stats...I dont care. In fact - I always response the same way "Thats fascinating.  Let me now tell you how I was playing D&D and I was facing a goblin with super power who could kill me but i rolled a 5, which gave me a force field to protect myself - its about the same).    

Thaaank you maaaaan....thank you!!..Yaaa that's what I'm talking about...that's what it would remind me of when I would watch the games in sports bars...someone that's into that funky stuff..dnd and that play fighting dressed up in funky costumes with that kick ass sword made out of a tube from wrapping paper..the kind of sword u would dream of having or did have ..when u were 7...but ya.. good call man..

Archived