Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

Are the Nats, as a team, okay? I know they're dealing with injuries and I know there's going to be dry streaks during the season but this team is too talented to be hitting like this and otherwise excellent pitchers are laying eggs on the reg (Gio comes to mind).

Is there some kind of mental block right now on the team or what?

38 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Are the Nats, as a team, okay? I know they're dealing with injuries and I know there's going to be dry streaks during the season but this team is too talented to be hitting like this and otherwise excellent pitchers are laying eggs on the reg (Gio comes to mind).

Is there some kind of mental block right now on the team or what?

Not really. Baseball is a season of ups and downs. The key is that when you're hot, to be hot for a long time, and when you're cold, to have real short cold streaks.

Just for reference sake, last year the Astros had a stretch from July 26 to August 14 where they went 5-13 which included a 5 game losing streak.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not really. Baseball is a season of ups and downs. The key is that when you're hot, to be hot for a long time, and when you're cold, to have real short cold streaks.

Just for reference sake, last year the Astros had a stretch from July 26 to August 14 where they went 5-13 which included a 5 game losing streak.

People act like you are supposed to consistently win .650 thru out the season.  They are going to be stretches where you play .700 ball for a month and then possibly .300-.400 ball for weeks in a row. 

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

To be honest though if the Caps didn't win a Cup I'd probably be panicing right now, LOL. Its nice having a championship in your back pocket. Can just relax and enjoy sports, whatever happens happens.

But its kinda nice that this year's team will have to work for it.  every other division title, it was cruise control after may.   This year's team will be battle tested we know.

Today's lineup vs. the Blue Jays and RHP Sam Gaviglio...

Bryce at DH, Brian Goodwin in right field

SS Trea Turner
DH Bryce Harper
3B Anthony Rendon
1B Daniel Murphy
LF Juan Soto
CF Michael A. Taylor
RF Brian Goodwin
2B Wilmer Difo
C Spencer Kieboom

RHP Tanner Roark

19 minutes ago, Forehead said:

At the P-Nats game, the pitchers name is Sterling Sharp.  That is fantastic.

Ha- noticed that last week when I was looking at the PNats roster.

Re Potomac- I’m about 45min from Lynchburg, VA, home of the Hillcats, who are in the same division as the PNats. Potomac plays 4 series here per year, so I’m going to start going to those games regularly. First time will be July 9. Got first row seats by the Nats dugout for $10 each, taking my dad (Father’s Day present) and my 2.5 year old son (his first baseball game). 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

People act like you are supposed to consistently win .650 thru out the season.  They are going to be stretches where you play .700 ball for a month and then possibly .300-.400 ball for weeks in a row. 

Yes, yes, and that's why I try to preface or tack on some variation of "I know it's a long season." They're 7 games above .500 and they have one of the best pitching staffs in the league and we have an embarrassment of treasures in the outfield.

But is it unreasonable to say the bats have been abnormally streaky so far? The Nats are 10th in the National League in OPS and 11th in on base percentage and are below the league average. That usually doesn't win you a pennant (apart from the New York Mets in 2015 - I still can't believe they went as far as they did). 

I know there's still plenty of season left. I know it's not about being dominant throughout the season as it is getting hot and staying hot in October. I know, I know, I know - but for a contender, the hitting seems unusually "meh."

Yeah, see, this game (so far) is what I'm talking about. Mind you - it ain't over yet but even in a "play every day" kinda game like baseball, contenders are supposed to take care of business against teams like the Blue Jays. Does a team have to be abjectly terrible (i.e. the O's) for us to throw them off without breaking a sweat? Even early in the season? 

Is it really that unreasonable to be a bit concerned about the team's play right now, especially on offense. 

But as @Cooleyfan1993 - the game isn't over yet. They can still come back and salvage a win in this series. 

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Immediately gave it right back. We get a gem? We cant score. We hit? We cant yer Devon Travis and Randall Grichuck out.

and then tied again I see!! :P who will be right? those that had already called the sweep when we were down 5-3, or myself, who said it wasn't over yet?

Archived