Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the Extremeskins message board officially dead?

beachboy757

I've visited this board daily for the past 10 years plus! The difference is that everything is so readily available now! For example before YouTube skinsfanatic was the main reason I joined. Where else could you go for hype videos and game recaps. Then you have posters like taste like chicken, Brandon Lloyd Christmas, old fan, bang, blondie, trolls like GHH,...... kdawg, pj, and so many others that have in depth analysis, video breakdowns, sarcasm, and countless other post to keep one entertained. Countless pages from threads like Arlington, cult of colt, eli drunk pic, the comb, orackpo, twitter, training camp man crushes and Kirk threads. This place is still awesome 

Message boards in general have peaked, and many of the smaller communities of 100-500 posters have died out.  Large sites like ES are the ones that remain and have a chance at thriving?  

Why is this?  People have already hit on it.  Twitter allows you to share your opinion- 140 characters or less though- with everyone connected to Twitter, which is infinitely larger than ES.  Same with Facebook and other social media.  YouTube pages are big now too.  Reddit was a big forum killer around 2013 as well.  I would say from my experience 2013-14 was the end of the "prime" of forums.  

The good thing about now is that I enjoy reading discussion.  Back when I put together most of the 400 posts I had, was when the site was super busy, no one paid attention to my posts as a new guy, etc.  I lurk quite a bit and when I got season tickets last year, started contributing to that thread.  

With all forums, whether it was 10 years ago or now, it is all about how much you put into it.  If you put a lot of effort into reading other posts, making quality posts on your end and helping create threads, your experience will be great.  If you don't do much to help the cause, it's going to go downhill.  

A couple suggestions I do have though, purely from an outsider perspective who is the equivalent of TK at another very large sports forum:  

1.) Consolidate some of the forums.  I searched for any Orioles-related discussion in the Orioles forum, and the last posts are from 2014, but an Orioles thread is in the Tailgate.  That is the same case for all of the other area sports forums.  I would close those down, and maybe some of the other archive stuff, so the front forum page is more streamlined.  

2.) I remember kdawg posting a thread a few months ago- maybe longer- asking if people had content ideas for the blog portal.  Kdawg, among many others, have great opinions that should be showcased there if people can write content up like that.  The problem is, and I've experienced this before, is that there is no team that takes turns writing things, and one or two guys end up writing a ton of content early, get burnt out and the push ends.  

3.) I see a common theme was the lack of threads.  Maybe create some sort of usergroup that's not quite moderators, but have some authority and work together, to create discussion threads every day.  Like I said above, this shouldn't be left to one or two guys, but create a team and let them work together to push threads.  Maybe even roll the blog/portal content into this team as well.  ES is still an active site and the moderators need to moderate (and also have time to enjoy the board too) so give them help by having a team dedicated to starting content. 

You could even save the sports forums I mentioned in the first part if there was a dedication to making those active again and stopping the "all-in-one" threads, which are good for some things, but not great for others, especially potential new posters who don't see big news or other discussions happening. 

Anyway, sorry to bump, but I wanted to add my .02.  I've posted a ton on message boards throughout the years and love this kind of medium, and I try and help things out wherever I go.  

Wow thats a lot of words. I was just going to say the board is not dead but it tried to kill me today! LOL

When Mr. Snyder makes the changes we need on the teams staff and players and we win more people will get more excited and post more. Simple.

7 hours ago, SWFLSkins said:

RI noticedI not

ENTLY BROWSING   5 MEMBERS

I noticed I was only one in the twitter thread, then  I looked at the stadium, Football season is about to start, I don't know about the board being dead, the Team might be down to just the true diehards out here. 

Mission accomplished  indifferent0028.gif

Kirk Cousins wants the Redskins to be boring

8 hours ago, TK said:

Yes it does. Play around with the software a little more. :) 

Oh, poo on you!

I actually looked more after I posted that and saw I was wrong, but was like, "meh, no one cares enough for me to correct it". Should've known better. :ols:  

RECGaENTLY BROWS

ING  1 MEMBER

RECENTLY BROWSIN

G   9 MEMBERS

Gameday, I don't know, pretty discouraging unless suddenly everyone actually went to church? Which would be ok. It is pouring here, so I stayed home. 

Archived