Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What was your favorite film of 1982?

Ron78

What was your favorite film of 1982?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What was your favorite film of 1982?

• E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
    • Tootsie
    • An Officer and a Gentleman
    • Rocky III
    • Porky's
    • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    • 48 HRS.
    • Poltergeist
    • The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
    • Annie
    • Gandhi
    • First Blood
    • The Toy
    • Conan the Barbarian
    • Tron
    • Blade Runner
    • Airplane II: The Sequel
    • Fast Times at Ridgemont High
    • The Road Warrior
    • Pink Floyd: The Wall
    • Other

16 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

I'm too young to have watched all the good ones at the time (I was 2 years old) but in retrospect as far as my likes & interests developed over my life, I'd say John Carpenter's THE THING is my #1

If that was on the list I would've voted for it. Instead, I voted Tron. 

19 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is tough.  I feel like ET should be the obvious choice but I do love First Blood, Rocky 3 (Hey woman!) and 48 Hours.  Good year for Stallone with First Blood and Rocky 3.  

Whatever, First Blood is my choice, I think it somewhat gets overshadowed because the sequels are more over the top and not as good.  I think when people think of Rambo they don't always think about the first one and what a classic movie it is.  Another movie that would be just as good if it came out today.  

I almost picked ET, but had to go with Fast times at Ridgemont High. Rock music and Phoebe Cates... need I say more.

On 5/21/2017 at 3:46 PM, DWinzit said:
Fast Times!
All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

I am a little surprised Fast Times at Ridgemont High is winning this poll right now.  It was a funny movie, but not the best movie of 1982 by a longshot.

9 hours ago, youngchew said:

Where the **** is The Dark Crystal?!  :angry:

I liked that movie as a child.  I bought it as a birthday gift for my niece, and she loved it too.  It doesn't hold up as the best movie of 1982 though.  lol

5 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

am i the only one in history that thought First Blood kinda sucked?   

It's a dated movie.  It's not as good today as it was in 1982, but I still think it's a solid action film.

5 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'm sensing a trend with these threads... either that or market research.

As for the movie list, I don't think I'd pick it number one, but Ghandi was an amazing movie. Really, really well done.

The 80's were full of good music, good Redskins victories, and good movies.  Seems like a good decade to revisit this way.

Gandhi was a fantastic movie.  I am a little surprised it is getting left in the dust behind some of the other picks, but then again a Redskins message board isn't a typical movie audience either.

6 minutes ago, Ron78 said:

The 80's were full of good music, good Redskins victories, and good movies.  Seems like a good decade to revisit this way.

Gandhi was a fantastic movie.  I am a little surprised it is getting left in the dust behind some of the other picks, but then again a Redskins message board isn't a typical movie audience either.

I think the metric most are using is which is the best "fun" movie. That's why you are seeing action movies and comedies on top. That's okay with me... some of them were extraordinary movies (Besides, as an author of fantasy novels who am I to look down on genre films)

1 hour ago, Ron78 said:

<first blood>

It's a dated movie.  It's not as good today as it was in 1982, but I still think it's a solid action film.

i haven't seen it since the early 80s.... just wasn't a fan 

(except for when compared to the REST of the Sylvester Stallone cannon ... !)

I was terrified of ET.  Of course, I was 6.  Liked it more when I grew up.  

Saw as most of the lost on VHS through the years.  

Its tough, there's "best movie" and "damn nice boobies" categories.  Fast Times and Porkey's are adolescent classics.  But they are not "cinematic events."  

I think i'd go First Blood.  Though I'll take a side of Phoebe coming out of the pool any day of the week...

EDIT: was there a 1981 thread?  Say '80, not 81,.  

10 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I was terrified of ET.  Of course, I was 6.  Liked it more when I grew up.  

Saw as most of the lost on VHS through the years.  

Its tough, there's "best movie" and "damn nice boobies" categories.  Fast Times and Porkey's are adolescent classics.  But they are not "cinematic events."  

I think i'd go First Blood.  Though I'll take a side of Phoebe coming out of the pool any day of the week...

EDIT: was there a 1981 thread?  Say '80, not 81,.  

1980 -

1981 -

1983 -

14 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

am i the only one in history that thought First Blood kinda sucked?   

9 hours ago, Ron78 said:

7 hours ago, mcsluggo said:

i haven't seen it since the early 80s.... just wasn't a fan 

You should give it another watch, sluggo.  I don't really look at it as a pure action film.  The quiet tone, with underlying intensity gurgling throughout the film, finally comes to a head once he robs the gun store.  Yes, he roughs up the cops in the woods, but he's still on his heals there.

A super soldier, coming back home, getting kicked out of a town...then going back because he feels like he MORE than earned his right to live in Anytown, USA.  Then, he essentially re-lives his time in 'Nam.  Getting locked up, sprayed with a powerful hose, escaping, hiding and surviving in the woods, setting traps and evading the enemy.  At the end, you learn he was spit on by civilians when he arrived home.  No appreciation.

I wanted to find those pretend civilians and spit on them for Rambo.

Something a lot of people don't know is that there is an alternate ending to First Blood.  They were going to use it, but...well...you can probably figure out why they didn't.

3 hours ago, d0ublestr0ker0ll said:

You should give it another watch, sluggo.  I don't really look at it as a pure action film.  The quiet tone, with underlying intensity gurgling throughout the film, finally comes to a head once he robs the gun store.  Yes, he roughs up the cops in the woods, but he's still on his heals there.

A super soldier, coming back home, getting kicked out of a town...then going back because he feels like he MORE than earned his right to live in Anytown, USA.  Then, he essentially re-lives his time in 'Nam.  Getting locked up, sprayed with a powerful hose, escaping, hiding and surviving in the woods, setting traps and evading the enemy.  At the end, you learn he was spit on by civilians when he arrived home.  No appreciation.

I wanted to find those pretend civilians and spit on them for Rambo.

Something a lot of people don't know is that there is an alternate ending to First Blood.  They were going to use it, but...well...you can probably figure out why they didn't.

Yeah, that was pretty dark...

Archived