Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attended 'Chalk Talk' with Coach Gruden last night

Stormy

Last night, I (along with a number of other season ticket holders) had a chance to attend a tour of Redskins Park, followed by a Q&A session where we were able to ask a multitude of questions to Coach Gruden. I wanted to share an overview of that discussion here, as Jay was extremely candid, and addressed many of the issues which we are currently debating here. 

I'll just bullet point the summary below, but I want to preface that by sharing how impressed I was by Coach Gruden's participation in the event. To the degree that discretion allowed, he was open, honest, accessible, and exuded a narrowly focused passion to build upon the foundation of the past two years, as well as a confidence in their approach/system to do so. Jay had already won me over prior to last night, despite my initial misgivings about his hiring. However, last night's exchange only made me feel even more comfortable with him at the helm. So, onto the points of interest which he discussed...

• He plans to do 100% of the offensive play calling, while relying heavily upon Coach Cav (as well as Bill, Randy, Ike, Wes for the weekly game planning). 

• I asked him about the potential advantages of the size and skill sets of Pryor and Doctson to his offensive sets, given the departures of Desean and Pierre. He praised his departed players, but said he anticipated improved run blocking on the perimeter sans DJax, and a greater ability to prolong drives and convert in the red zone with the improved size on the outside. Also said he anticipated much more diverse use of Crowder, on the outside as well as the slot. He said it 'killed him' not to have Crowder on the field last year when in 2WR sets. 

• When asked what to expect for the remainder of free agency, he said mostly 'depth signings' unless something fell in their lap, and even mentioned adding a vet WR for depth (which already has happened today). Got the impression that they have no plans to add any impact DL/ILB unless something unforeseen happens. 

• My other question to him was how they anticipated improving Run D issues, and getting off the field on 3rd Downs, given that there hasn't been a quantifiable upgrade to the DL/LB corp this offseason. He agreed that both were major issues, going so far as to say that the very first thing they plan to address when the team hits the practice fields this spring is the 3rd down defense. 

He candidly said that there were major schematic defects in last year's coordination. He said that there were unacceptable lapses in communication, alluding to former DC and DB coach in particular (and Jay is not one to throw a coach under the bus lightly). He said this was bad to the point that they weren't even getting defensive signals in on time with great frequency. He thinks that Manusky will fix the schematic, execution and energy flaws, while playing a much more aggressive style in coverage and blitz packages. 

On the personnel side he indicated that some DL were low in giving consistent energy, and inconsistent in their assignments. He likes McClain's motor and penetration skills and think McGee will help bolster against the run, while giving some push from DE spot. Hopes to see promise from a return to health for Phil Taylor, and a step forward by AJ Francis. Over the moon high on Lanier's development and potential. Otherwise, noted it's a great draft for D help at DL and ILB early and among DBs throughout. 

• He was asked numerous questions about the draft which he obviously couldn't answer. The interesting aspects which he did address, in addition to the D focus were as follows... 

- Asked about taking an RB early: He loves Fat Rob and would only consider taking an early RB that is a big game changer. Doesn't expect Fournette to fall to their spot. 

- When asked about OL, said he liked their unit as much as any in the NFL, only saw a need for depth. 

- When asked about areas of need to be addressed early in the draft, he mentioned every unit except TE/OL. Thought it an interesting omission for those who love the idea of Howard or Lamp. 

• Lastly, as for the Front Office. Declined to speak poorly of anyone on either side of Scot's departure. Said that since he has been here, every draft and roster construction move has been a group collaboration. Implied that with very few exceptions there has been no such thing as a purely Scot pick/Jay pick/Campbell pick etc... extremely confident that the people who have built the current foundation are still in place to do just that. 

Just wanted to share this info with the forum, for whatever it's worth. I was very pleased with his areas of focus and with his approach. I miss Scot, but have hope with Jay at the coaching helm. My only concern, aside from my disagreement with ideas like we don't need FA help at DT/ILB - we do - is the increased frequency with which Coach alluded to the numerous roles and involvment of Bruce Allen in the personnel side.

Otherwise a great message and a great time. 

If I recollect any more details, I'll post them later. 

Awesome comments, thanks for sharing that! I agree that the involvement of Bruce in personnel is not something that fills me with any confidence whatsoever, but I like how much of a straight-shooter Jay has always been and was here. We'll see what happens soon enough. 

Thanks for sharing.  Awesome stuff.  Really insightful about the defensive play calling lapses last year.  Man, we were so bad over there.     

Excited to see Crowder expand his game this year.  I think he's just one of those guys who knows how to get open.  Will be interested to see how he fares against more physical corners.  

I still hold out hope that things can work out for Jay here in the long run.  Easy guy to pull for.  

Thanks for the replies. It was definitely a great outing, filled with encouraging signs that there is an intentional plan to continue in the path they started the past 2 years. 

There actually was some information on Cousins. First, Jay was overwhelming in the position that he wants Kirk here, not just next year, but for years to come... which isn't really news. What was news, to me at least, was that Jay said the Redskins have a new offer on the table to Kirk right now in terms of a LTD. I got the feeling he was talking about a new, latest offer that had taken place just recently. Maybe that is common knowledge, or maybe it's just part of the ongoing process, but it was news to me. 

What a great psot @Stormy and thank you!

I was prominently out in front and pretty much alone (slight exaggeration) with an early and well-founded appreciation for Jay's assets. I had even better feelings about his potential, but his road here has hardly been easy. This is a circus for years and sure was when he arrived, and unfortunately this off season was actually more unstable than the previous one. And it isn't settled out yet.

So not only was that all just great specific material from great questions (way to go, amigo) , but big picture wise I like getting the vibe that his energy is still high and positive and getting a snapshot of his grasp of things in a setting like that amid  all the turmoil is reassuring.

Good to see ya, old timer. :)

Thanks so much for posting this! Really nice to be able to get such candid answers from Gruden. Defense is really concerning though. I agree we had some serious issues with coaching (hated the Barry hire from day 1) but I really don't like how he looked at talent there.

"On the personnel side he indicated that some DL were low in giving consistent energy, and inconsistent in their assignments. He likes McClain's motor and penetration skills and think McGee will help bolster against the run, while giving some push from DE spot. Hopes to see promise from a return to health for Phil Taylor, and a step forward by AJ Francis. Over the moon high on Lanier's development and potential. Otherwise, noted it's a great draft for D help at DL and ILB early and among DBs throughout."

This really concerns me.

2 hours ago, Stormy said:

He candidly said that there were major schematic defects in last year's coordination. He said that there were unacceptable lapses in communication, alluding to former DC and DB coach in particular (and Jay is not one to throw a coach under the bus lightly). He said this was bad to the point that they weren't even getting defensive signals in on time with great frequency. He thinks that Manusky will fix the schematic, execution and energy flaws, while playing a much more aggressive style in coverage and blitz packages. 

I am dumbfounded by this.. 

1. i cant imagine that this issue started only in 2016, it should have been evident in 2015, why didn't they make the switch from Berry in 2016.

2. Even if this level of incompetency was only noticed mid season in 2016 , why not take steps to resolve this problem mid season with a D coordinator change or at least duty modification?

Thanks for sharing,sounds like a great event. Some encouraging information,especially in regard to Cousins.I am glad at this point that the team extended Gruden and I too like his candor.That being said,I have to question his comments about last seasons D,he was responsible for overseeing the coaches and making sure they did their job.I would also say that he had a major if not the main role in hiring these  coaches he is busing.He passed on Wade Phillips to bring Barry in.Did he shoulder any if the blame?

3 hours ago, Stormy said:

he anticipated much more diverse use of Crowder, on the outside as well as the slot. He said it 'killed him' not to have Crowder on the field last year when in 2WR sets. 

Great post.  Thanks for sharing.  On the Crowder front, Jay recently in an interview said something to the effect of if you are into fantasy football select Crowder -- alluding to watch his reps go up.

With Crowder in a more featured role, wonder if they take him off of special teams.  We heard they talked to Adoree Jackson at the combine who is arguably the best returner in the draft, and they flirted with Patterson in FA before signing Pryor.

46 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Thanks so much for posting this! Really nice to be able to get such candid answers from Gruden. Defense is really concerning though. I agree we had some serious issues with coaching (hated the Barry hire from day 1) but I really don like how he looked at talent there.

"On the personnel side he indicated that some DL were low in giving consistent energy, and inconsistent in their assignments. He likes McClain's motor and penetration skills and think McGee will help bolster against the run, while giving some push from DE spot. Hopes to see promise from a return to health for Phil Taylor, and a step forward by AJ Francis. Over the moon high on Lanier's development and potential. Otherwise, noted it's a great draft for D help at DL and ILB early and among DBs throughout."

This really concerns me.

This takes me back to my meeting with Scot, he was open about majoring in the D line when it came to the 2017 draft.  Then we got Manusky talking about finding an NT in the draft.  Now, this with Jay about D line in the draft.  I gather they have some targets they really really really like in the draft.  I am still with you on being concerned about it.    But I gather they are confident in some prospects.   Will see.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This takes me back to my meeting with Scot, he was open about majoring in the D line when it came to the 2017 draft.  Then we got Manusky talking about finding an NT in the draft.  Now, this with Jay about D line in the draft.  I gather they have some targets they really really really like in the draft.  I am still with you on being concerned about it.    But I gather they are confident in some prospects.   Will see.

And that's what has me really worried. We're throwing all our eggs in 1 basket. A basket, to be frank, I don't think is great. DE is pretty decent, but NT is not. And if there is a run early at DE, we might be in real trouble at either position. I just feel like they don't value the DL at all.

Thanks Jumbo, it's good to be back posting some rather than just observing. You were definitely way ahead of the curve on Jay, and I think you were right about his capabilities. There have definitely been some ups and downs, as there are bound to be with any first time head coach. However, if every F.O. member and every assistant were as adept at their job as Jay largely is, I think we'd be in great shape. 

Something I would clarify in regards to other comments: Jay's comments regarding communication and scheme deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball, were in response to a specific question about the schematic failings of the 2016 defense. He didn't mention names, but the implication was DC and DB coach were sources. He is ultimately responsible for both their hires, and for oversight of them. I think he owns that, and hopefully has learned from it. 

Lastly, in terms of the personnel issues on defense, I couldn't agree more. How much say Jay has in FA acquisition I have no idea, nor do I know if he feels that the moves they have made are more than lateral moves at best. He did sound pretty high on the DL additions, especially McClain, and said he loved the addition of Swearinger as an interchangeable safety who can play FS in single high. I fully believe they should have added another quality DT/ILB in FA, but it sounded like they were fully relying upon hitting some home runs in a deep defensive draft. 

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

And that's what has me really worried. We're throwing all our eggs in 1 basket. A basket, to be frank, I don't think is great. DE is pretty decent, but NT is not. And if there is a run early at DE, we might be in real trouble at either position. I just feel like they don't value the DL at all.

I don't want to go off message on this thread by talking too much draft but I think what you and I discussed on the FA thread looks to be what they are likely going to do, go 5 technique and 0 technique early in the draft.   I personally like Tomlinson for NT, and he's likely going to be available at our pick in the 2nd.  Like you I think they need to add more in FA but it is what it is. :)

38 minutes ago, Stormy said:

Something I would clarify in regards to other comments: Jay's comments regarding communication and scheme deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball, were in response to a specific question about the schematic failings of the 2016 defense. He didn't mention names, but the implication was DC and DB coach were sources. 

I agree, wholeheartedly.  

It was flat out disgusting, to watch how confused our D was at times.  Guys looking at each other, not knowing WTF they were doing.   Let me tell you, it was bad on TV, but even worse at games.    At least from our living room the cameras, mercifully, kept the focus on the ball.     In the stands my disgust at the on-field confusion was made even worse, by the accompanying body language of our defenders.   I **** you not, Mrs. Skinsfan would just look at each other and say, "Are you ****ting me?"   

I still don't understand why Jay didn't fire Barry and Fewell during the season.

40 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't want to go off message on this thread by talking too much draft but I think what you and I discussed on the FA thread looks to be what they are likely going to do, go 5 technique and 0 technique early in the draft.   I personally like Tomlinson for NT, and he's likely going to be available at our pick in the 2nd.  Like you I think they need to add more in FA but it is what it is. :)

I'm not seeing too many NT's in the draft....maybe take a chance on Stevie T. from USC...or Qualls from Washington

8 minutes ago, SkinsPassion4Life said:

I still don't understand why Jay didn't fire Barry and Fewell during the season.

I'm not seeing too many NT's in the draft....maybe take a chance on Stevie T. from USC...or Qualls from Washington

2nd-3rd round:  Tomlinson, Vanderdoes, Qualls.  Yeah maybe Tu'ilolovatu but he's going to be 26 and might be a bit too overweight to depend on?  

Thanks Stormy for the insight and  the great  synopsis on Gruden. Sounds like maybe there is a glimmer of hope  that Cousins will accept a long term deal.

From your post,Gruden and company are still focused on  building thru the draft.

I'm pleased and somewhat relieved , the Skins are staying the coarse and will build thru the draft.

I think the Skins have learned the lesson about free agency and all the pit falls of free agency. Yes ,there will always be a diamond in the rough in free agency,

but  the diamonds are few and far between.  Hail :247:

Just to piggy back off of this thread. I posted the following in the Doc Walker Chalk Talk thread

I went to the Bruce Allen and Larry Michael Chalk Talk tonight. There was a tour of Redskins Park followed by dinner in the "players club" aka cafeteria and then talking with Larry and Bruce. A great night. I liked it more than last weeks Doc, Niles Paul and Mo Harris event.

Larry did some small talk until Bruce was ready. The main thing he said was regarding Scot there were things he couldn't address that are personal just like we all have things we cant discuss at our jobs. 

Bruce then came in and he said he was going to start with 4 topics that many of the questions would be about before opening it up to questions. He addressed Cousins, Scot, the draft and I think free agency was the 4th.

-Cousins-Bruce said they have offered a lucrative contract to his agent but there hasn't been an answer. He and Larry addressed the rumor that Cousins wouldn't sign with the Skins if Bruce was the President. Larry said the guy that tweeted it out has since deleted the tweet and Larry actually called the guy since he knew him. He called it fake news. 

-Scot- Bruce mentioned a few times his relationship with Scot's dad and brother and that he has talked to them since the firing. He mentioned that Scot is free to sign with any team right now. I didn't sense any hostility towards Scot in Bruce's words or his body language. He said he will talk with the media about Scot next week at owner's meeting.

-Free Agency-Bruce said that he loves Swearinger and he's much needed help in the secondary. He said they lost Baker and they've signed 2 DL. He said they lost 2000 yards receiving. They signed 1000 yards in Pryor so they need other receivers to help replace the other 1000. He specifically mentioned Docston. Bruce said we are at 71 players right now and need to be at 90 for camp. We have 10 picks right now and would like to sign 10 undrafted FA's so they don't have much room for anymore FA's. He mentioned Hightower visited today and another FA is coming in tomorrow but didn't mention who.

-Draft-not too much sticks out here. He naturally didn't mention any players or positions. Just that we have holes to fill. Interesting that when talking about having 10 picks he said "Dan hates to trade down". He said he gets geared up to see who we get and then has to wait again. 

a few other notes:

a question was asked about player development and if there are any players that haven't played a ton that he thinks can take the next step. He mentioned Quinton Dunbar right away. How he was a quiet WR and then we had some CB's go down 1 practice so Gruden said to try him at CB. Now he is trash talking CB. He mentioned Mack Brown and how he kills our defense in practice. 

Bruce said Jay would be calling plays this year

Bruce said the winner of the NFC East runs the ball well and stops the run. He thought the lack of running game was why we lost the Giants game.

Bruce said Gruden actually signed his extension a week before it was announced. He said they got a good laugh out of the rumors that he signed or agreed to his extension at a restaurant in Indy.

Archived