Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We could have kept Garcon (contract details inside)

Tsailand

The team is in such flux right now, I would rather have the 24 yr old with tremendous upside than a 30+ receiver who wanted out last year.  If can get through this off season of turmoil and keep Kirk, Pryor will pay huge dividends going forward.

20 minutes ago, mojo said:

The team is in such flux right now, I would rather have the 24 yr old with tremendous upside than a 30+ receiver who wanted out last year.  If can get through this off season of turmoil and keep Kirk, Pryor will pay huge dividends going forward.

Pryor is 27 but yeah I agree with yoy 100%

4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

we went from 2 WRs that are small and cant make tough catches to 2 big WRs who will catch anything in their vicinity 

I won't knock Garçon on tough catches.  I loved his toughness and durability.  It's just  a matter of age and questionable attitude.

57 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

Looks like we finally have a WR who knows how to use his hands for positioning.

Ladies and Gentlemen we finally have a TALL wide receiver since Mix (now he was tall). :thewave:

Don't know why but kinda of reminds me of TO. 

10 hours ago, Taylor 36 said:

Excuse my ignorance, and this post is not an attempt to be snide in any way, but if Pryor is so good, why didn't the Browns resign him with their huge mass of cap space and why did the Redskins only give him a one year (kind of a prove it) deal?  Why weren't there other teams offering him a better deal?

Also to add to what @jschuck12001 said - not many other teams lost 2000 receiving yards from a pass heavy offense. It may be mercenary to a point. But you have to believe that if he and Kirk get some chemistry and Kirk gets a LTD, Pryor would want to keep that going - provided he can get paid and the team has some success.

I liked Garcon. He did some of the dirty work. But he wanted too much money. Yes, the team could have afforded it. But it would not be smart. Being left out of the contract details is $20M guaranteed money. And I would not call $4.8M in dead cap after 2019 a small hit. The entire dead cap for 2017 right now is $8.9M - $2.5M is due to Culliver's injury. For 2015 and 2016 the final average dead cap per team was roughly about $15M. Almost $5M for one player seems like a lot.

No reason to meet that salary. Along with Ross, we have Major Harris who had some nice moments last year. They could also add a low cost veteran as insurance for Doctson. Even if it ends up being just Crowder, Pryor, Reed and Davis for the most part. That will not be bad. Again, while the team could have afforded it, not worth the money.

1 hour ago, zskins said:

Ladies and Gentlemen we finally have a TALL wide receiver since Mix (now he was tall). :thewave:

Don't know why but kinda of reminds me of TO. 

The way he uses his hands to gain a little more separation before the catch reminds of (ugh hate to refer to that in team in any light) Michael Irvin.

I hated seeing Garcon go, yet I don't believe all professional athletes are driven by money.  I know that sounds crazy, even typing it I think it sounds crazy.

Garcon went to another organization that seems to be in as much turmoil as ours, but on the flip side it might be on the upward trend. He may have more security with how Kyle may use him.  It is quite possible he left to start fresh, perhaps he didn't like it here. Could be the coaching staff (doubtful), game planning or the way they used him in the offense, or perhaps the recent on-goings of this organization.  It doesn't seem too far fetched that the redskin organization has treated several folks poorly (internally), so it is possible it was a personal move for himself?

Me personally would not bank on Pryor, I imagine he will not do much for us this year..... just saying...  

What most seem to miss when they say "how do we replace two 1000yd WRs" .. is that once we get an even half assed D and run game there will be little need or opportunity for a two 1000yd wrs. With garcon, jackson, reed and crowder there were not enough balls to go around. i was dumbfounded by lack of Crowder utilization in the 2nd half of the season as he is one of the top slot wrs in the game and feel this was due to constant ****ing for more balls from Garcon and DJ.

Improved D and Running game will take pressure off the passing game and also the need for all the crazy come backs and garbage time points. Pryor, crowder and reed already give skins a pretty potent receiving core. Doctson + draft pick is a bonus.

Going to miss his passion on the field. Dude was violent, got in people's faces, stood up for team mates and made tough catches! 

I like our approach of not tying up to much money and getting younger. 

We really need doctson to work out. I liked the pick last year knowing where we were going to be with garçon and Jackson.

On 3/11/2017 at 3:22 PM, Tsailand said:

1. Pryor is a one year rental.  If he balls out, we might be able to re-sign him, but we will have to be the high bidder on the open market.  Not as good as being locked into Garcon.

2. It isn't Pryor vs Garcon, it's Pryor and Garcon in 2017, with Garcon continuing into 2018 and 2019.

3. Doctson is absolutely in question, after last year.  Going into this year planning for him to be a starter is setting the team up for failure.  We need to begin the seasons with three real WR starters, and they should have been Garcon, Pryor, Crowder.  If Docton develops into what you people think he will, great! We'll have an amazing 2017 and he' can then be penciled in as a starter in 2018 onwards.

Doctson is the question.

I actually don't mind moving on from a 30 year old WR, even though he might have been my favorite 'Skin in the last couple of years

WRs on the north side of 30 hit a wall at some point, and it's kindof impossible to tell when that will be.  30? 32? You never know.

I'll take the Pryor 1 year deal. 

To me, there's no reason to think about long-term on offense until you lock up the QB.

Archived