Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The McGlouaeiouandsometimesygghhggain Kool-Aid - No thanks. I'll stick to coffee.

zoony

By any account SM has been hailed as some kind of savant/guru who is here to save our franchise.

Defense sucks?  SM has a plan.  Cousins' contract a distraction all year?  SM was smart to franchise him!.  We have the two worst inside linebackers in the history of football?  SM has a plan!!!!.  Our starting safety is a corpse?  SM has a PLAN!!!  

A few observations, from the point of view of someone who doesn't think he walks on water.

1.  We got bounced from the playoffs last year by a Green Bay Team who thought it would be pretty damn funny to spread us out and run the ball straight down our throats.  (no, seriously, Aaron Rodgers was literally laughing in between snaps).  They knew it was a pillow-soft defensive front, and if they cleared the traffic out they could get yardage in 7-10 yard chunks.  They were not wrong.  What does GMSM do?  He signs Ziggy Hood and Cullen Jenkins.  I can only assume he did it with a straight face, but who really knows.  Also, Will Compton and Mason Foster are not even given any competition in camp.  That is inexcusable - we are talking about the worst starting pair of ILBers in all of football, and we don't even bring in competition.

2.  The 2016 draft class was historically bad.

Josh Doctson - LOL

Su'a Cravens - When not injured, just a guy.  Too small to play LB and too big to play safety.  Will have to change his entire game to find a home in the NFL.

Kendall Fuller - awful

Matt Loannidis - I'm not even sure if he's on the team or not.  I think I saw a white guy take a few snaps against the Giants today.  I can only assume that was him.

Nate Sudfeld, Steven Daniels, and Keith Marshall round out this group.  What does it say that an undrafted guy from a non-football school comes in and takes the starting RB job?

3.  The 2015 draft class isn't looking too great either.  He hit on his #5 overall pick in Scherff, but let's face it, my dog could hit on a #5 pick.  It was Leonard Williams or Brandon Scherff.  Either would have been fine.  Jamison Crowder appears to be the gem.  Preston Smith, at this point, appears to be Trent Murphy 2.0.  JAG.

So, that's 2 contributors, Scherff and Crowder, out of two years of drafting.  Vinny called, he wants to know why he was fired.

4.  The Cousins' contract has been mis-handled.  Despite what happened today we will be paying him a lot more money than what we could have paid him last year, and we could have avoided the year-long distraction.  This franchise cannot afford to start over at QB and the Cousins' camp knows it.  Not sure what kind of cards GMSM feels like he has in his back pocket but so far it appears to just be a turd.

I mean, if you want to franchise Cousins and play that game, bring some competition in and apply leverage.  What does GMSM do?  He actually brings more weapons in for Cousins to throw to and improve his numbers.  Doctson, Vernon D, etc. Interesting way of negotiating what you think will be a better price.

What has happened in 2015 and to a lesser extent in 2016 is not a GM that has filled our club with talent.  What has happened is we've finally had a QB step forward and, while not play GREAT, has been competent enough to put up points and win games.  That's really about it.  Jordan Reed, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Trent Williams, and Morgan Moses have nothing to do with GMSM.  Our defense is as bad as it's ever been.  

Can GMSM save the Redskins?  Who knows.  Maybe, but most likely not.   In the meantime, no thanks on the kool-aid.

1 minute ago, ddub52 said:

I guess Josh Norman isn't worth mentioning. 

Josh Norman was a great FA pickup

That was a freak occurrence.  Spoke nothing of GMSM's skillset that a team would be dumb enough to cut their all-pro CB a few months before the start of training camp.

If that's going to be your strategy to build a roster, well, .... you said it best.  Not worth mentioning. 

Who could do better?  I understand that you don't agree with everything he has done, but how can you say having 2 winning seasons in his first 2 years.  You say that it was the qb who is the reason we won, look at what kirk did before scott got here.  

2 minutes ago, Hail2theSkins24 said:

These issues have been blatantly obvious since the 0-2 start, but I got scolded for criticizing the almighty savior Scot McCloughan. Maybe he can upgrade the defense so GREG TOLER isn't in 1 on 1 coverage with the game on the line 

That wasn't coverage, lol

10 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Thank you for this thread

Skins fans idolize ppl for any semblance of mediocrity 

Mediocrity is something we have NEVER had.... so is it wrong to blame our fan base for this?

Redskins have sucked for years... he had to with stand years of Cerrato trading away the future, but unfortunately not even succeed in the present.

With McCloughan at lease we have not (yet anyways) mortgage or trade away the future.

Drafting players is a crap shoot, you have 1st-3rd round that bust out every year. The influx of talent he has brought in has been better than what we have had in the past.

Just now, dckey said:

Who could do better?  I understand that you don't agree with everything he has done, but how can you say having 2 winning seasons in his first 2 years.  You say that it was the qb who is the reason we won, look at what kirk did before scott got here.  

The thrust of my argument is not that he should be fired, or that I want him replaced.

Just that I will pass on the kool aid and stick to observations.  Make sense?

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Thank you for this thread

Skins fans idolize ppl for any semblance of mediocrity 

Unfortunately, this is true but it's what we get for being such a dumpster fire for so long.

Ive been in spots in my career where I've looked like a superstar, less because of me and more because the manager before me was completely awful.

Similar circumstances here with Scott and Kirk.  Scott because just having someone that understands how a football team operates and builds through the draft looks amazing compared to Vinny. Kirk, you hear it every day here, "the best qb we've had in decades".  Which is probably true but doesn't really mean much at all given the guys who laced them up before him.

12 minutes ago, zoony said:

Josh Norman was a great FA pickup

That was a freak occurrence.  Spoke nothing of GMSM's skillset that a team would be dumb enough to cut their all-pro CB a few months before the start of training camp.

If that's going to be your strategy to build a roster, well, .... you said it best.  Not worth mentioning. 

I understand that you're frustrated after the loss, but I dont agree with giving SM no credit for the good players he's brought in while trashing him for the ones that haven't been stellar. Norman could have gone to a lot of other teams, but he came here. Not every #5 overall is a no brainer. Plenty of top 5 picks are busts. Typical emotional, knee-jerk ES post from you 

The jury is definitely out on his legacy.

But surely, it can't be argued that this team has at least a bit more... "umph" to it than previous years versions of this franchise. The guy has passion and gives a crap and is a good personnel man.

But you'd be shortsighted to think he has made all the right moves. Some of his moves are extremely questionable. Some are genius. Right now he's a mixed bag. I'd actually say that he and Gruden are both in the same category... Which is, "The jury is out, but they have done enough to earn some more time".

“Excellent player, I’ll tell you. I mean, they obviously they have a lot of confidence in him. You can just see the way they are using him. Things that you pay attention to, if you look at the key plays in games and particularly the Detroit game was the one that jumps out at me. He’s the pressure player in key moments of the game so I think it tells you what the defensive staff thinks of him and just the confidence they have in him, so I’ve been very, very impressed with him on video.” - Mike McCarthy

"When not injured, just a guy.  Too small to play LB and too big to play safety.  Will have to change his entire game to find a home in the NFL." - Zoony

You'd never know they were both talking about the same guy lol...

@zoony you're not wrong.

i still want him around here for a while.

i'm also not willing to blame him for the cousins contract. SM playing hard ball seems just as likely to me as Snyder not wanting to over-commit after the Griffin fiasco. I think it took every ounce of energy he had to not fight the transition away from Griffin harder.

1 minute ago, zoony said:

The thrust of my argument is not that he should be fired, or that I want him replaced.

Just that I will pass on the kool aid and stick to observations.  Make sense?

I think if you compare him across the league against other GM's you will find that the successful franchises only hit on 2 or 3 picks a year that actually start and play meaningful minutes.  Look at the patriots draft only one player started for them while the others were backups.  Please show me a winning team that has is so great at the draft that they built there winning team in less than 2 years.  Please show me a GM that has changed a team to be competitive within the first 2 years except for John Elway who inherited a playoff team with Tebow at qb because of their defense.

1 minute ago, ddub52 said:

"Josh Doctson- LOL"

Thanks for dropping that football knowledge bomb on all of us. That was quite an in depth analysis. 

Awaiting response along the lines of "that's all that needs to be said". 

I thought it was hilariously appropriate and appreciated it.

It made me legitimately LOL while reading LOL.

Archived