Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

17 minutes ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

Has anyone found a good article listing good players who may be late cuts? ala Desean Jackson or Josh Norman

I looked and havent found any. 

I would put Sheldon Richardson on that list, while young, Im not sure Id give him a monster contract .. and he seems to want a monster contract. 

Isn't he already getting paid?

Just now, markmills67 said:

5th rounder 

HTTR 

Problem is we would still need a DT/NT unless they moved McGee inside.

The FO also seem reluctant to pay in excess of 5mil p/y based on the McGee/McClain deals. Maybe giving someone else a deal greatly in excess of that is a concern in relation to how the others would then perceive that. Or Bruce is just tight in most instances. One or the other.

49 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Problem is we would still need a DT/NT unless they moved McGee inside.

The FO also seem reluctant to pay in excess of 5mil p/y based on the McGee/McClain deals. Maybe giving someone else a deal greatly in excess of that is a concern in relation to how the others would then perceive that. Or Bruce is just tight in most instances. One or the other.

We would still need a NT even if McGee goes inside, because he's not a NT. And when you consider that apparently the NYG are offering a 4 million one year deal for Hankins and have haven't been all over that, is appaling.

50 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

I love the BOSU. My favorite fitness thing...but why on earth is he wearing a bodywarmer? WTF man. Weirdo...

I have to admit that Im kinda a Pryor doubter ... but his dedication is nice to see. I read another article where he does film study etc as well so he is not just a fitness workout warrior like someone who shant be named. 

16 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I'm trying to figure out why we're completely ignoring this ILB market. Even Jelani Jenkins was stolen by the Raiders after Zach Brown wanted too much from them.

Totally agree. Seems to me like we are going ILB at #17 to start alongside the best of the rest. Or should I say least worst of the rest.

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Can't build team through free agency.  Expecting a defense heavy draft, we may end up drafting our NT.  Think we may already be done with free agency, not was I was hoping for, but I can live with it.

I now think we pick up vet min guy and select a NT in the 4th/5th round and hope for the best from there. 

So dangerous to "need" a DT and ILB going into the draft. This draft has so many strengths we could take advantage of, and I can see us leaving huge value on the board in the 1st and 2nd to fill holes just like we used to. So stupid when you can use a moderately-sized contract in FA to fill the hole and then just go BPA. It's not like we haven't already screwed ourselves out of comp picks anyways, fill a couple holes. This is a borderline historic CB/TE/RB class and we're probably going to skip out because if we don't we'll have enormous holes up the middle of our front 7. Best we can hope for is that we still get impact players at those need positions early on, and then get lucky enough to scoop up some of the depth from those strong positions later. 

Taking a look at still available FAs from the new article on redskins.com ....http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/Top-Remaining-Options-In-Free-Agency/d609c972-5751-47e4-846f-2946b380d9fd

FS Byrd - 30 yrs old, seemed to be productive last year on a bad Saints D. Twitter account shows that he is very religious. Id like to sign him to a low incentive based contract. His twitter doesnt indicate any visits or action. Swearinger doesnt fill the FS spot imo. 

https://twitter.com/jairusbyrd?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

MLB Zach Brown - I honestly dont know his game but his write ups seems like exactly what we are looking for. His twitter shows that he is a UNC bball fan and enjoyed the Terps and Dookie losses. 

Brown’s stature at 6-foot-1, 248 pounds together with his superb athleticism made him a standout among the rest of the Bills’ linebackers.

In today’s NFL, it’s rare for a team to possess a three-down linebacker. The ability to stay on the field and excel against both the run and pass is emphasized among the best linebackers currently in the NFL.

Brown is, and the only, three-down linebacker on Buffalo’s roster. Brown was a force against the run, recording 10 tackles for loss while leading the team in ‘stops’ with 54, per Pro Football Focus. Brown displayed the ability to drop into coverage, allowing only one touchdown on the season, as well.

With that being said, Brown’s three-down versatility makes re-signing him a no-brainer.

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/01/04/3-reasons-buffalo-bills-must-re-sign-lb-zach-brown/

Zach Brown sounds like a London Fletcher Jr. 

He played on a 1 year 1.25M contract and I am weary that he would be a one year wonder and perhaps excelled under Ryan's D .... anyone know what he is looking for? I checked for numbers from his Raiders visit but didnt see anything. 

Would a 1 yr, 3.75M deal do it? 

Maybe we like that late round pick from last year that went on IR.  Was a tackling machine in college.   Who knows why we aren't spending what we have.  Now if we locked up Kirk and extended Moses, Long, and Scherff then I would stop ****ing and get a Jersey with Schaeffer on the back of it.  :)

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So dangerous to "need" a DT and ILB going into the draft. This draft has so many strengths we could take advantage of, and I can see us leaving huge value on the board in the 1st and 2nd to fill holes just like we used to. So stupid when you can use a moderately-sized contract in FA to fill the hole and then just go BPA. It's not like we haven't already screwed ourselves out of comp picks anyways, fill a couple holes. This is a borderline historic CB/TE/RB class and we're probably going to skip out because if we don't we'll have enormous holes up the middle of our front 7. Best we can hope for is that we still get impact players at those need positions early on, and then get lucky enough to scoop up some of the depth from those strong positions later. 

Think is bang on where I am. We are potentially going to screw ourselves over by having to go in the direction you have posted. 

Said yesterday I think we should be snagging one more starter on defense in FA. Moderate contracts all over the place.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

So Ty Nsekhe re-signed now after being tendered, great news.

Think both Thompson and Compton are technically unsigned ( I think...)

Meaning he signed his tender, or we gave him a multi-year deal?

1 hour ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

I have to admit that Im kinda a Pryor doubter ... but his dedication is nice to see. I read another article where he does film study etc as well so he is not just a fitness workout warrior like someone who shant be named. 

You can just say my name. We all know you are taking about me. Mr fitness workout warrior with my 5'11" 143lbs pure muscles. ???

Blame Bruce! As long we dont sign guys I have time to post about stuff like this instead of football. 

I wouldn't touch Jairus Byrd. I would stick with Swearinger and Cravens and let them develop chemistry. Outside of looking for another outside corner to eventually replace Breeland, I think they're ok enough in the secondary for now (unless a really great prospect falls in the 3rd or 4th).

I think they will focus on front seven with rest of FA and the draft.

18 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I'll just go ahead and say it.

Vet min +incentives.

how much would his vet min be?...with our luck...it's been since Terry Allen that an older rb, with "issues", has worked out for us...I can't think of one that even came close or was serviceable...second thought, naw don't sign him...

19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yeah they ****ed up. 

Put themyself in a corner. Now you get in position where a guy rated high on your board is still there....but you look at NTs available and say:"Yeah don't think we can grab one of does next round". Scout yells:"Bruceee the top rated guy on our board is a beast! Instant impact player". Bruce:"we need to take NT here. To big of a risk that otherwise we wont grab one of does NT targets and end up with hole on our team". 

8 minutes ago, Sekhmet187 said:

I wouldn't touch Jairus Byrd. I would stick with Swearinger and Cravens and let them develop chemistry. Outside of looking for another outside corner to eventually replace Breeland, I think they're ok enough in the secondary for now (unless a really great prospect falls in the 3rd or 4th).

I think they will focus on front seven with rest of FA and the draft.

The Saints expected something more from him than one interception, two forced fumbles and one recovery in nearly three full seasons with the team, and yet they enter the final two weeks of 2016 encouraged by his play.

"I would say in the last six weeks he's played as good a football as we've seen now, and that's encouraging," Saints coach Sean Payton said Thursday. "He's played real well. I can't point  to the game two months ago, but his grades now, this last month and a half have been fantastic. That's a positive."

One reason for the consistent play from free safety who is nearly halfway through a six-year contract worth up to $54 million has been health.

He missed 15 consecutive games through his first two seasons, starting with a knee injury that put him on injured reserve after four games in 2014. Byrd was still rehabbing from the injury when training camp began in 2015. He played the final 13 games with 12 starts that season, and he hasn't missed a game in 2016.

"I feel good," Byrd said as he rubbed his left knee while seated at his stall in the Saints locker room. "Knee injuries are a serious thing. I just thank God I'm able to come out there and continue to get better and continue to get my bearings back straight, because you never know with those things."

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2016/12/jairus_byrd_new_orleans_saints_4.html

------------------------------------------

Id like him on a cheap deal. If he can stay healthy he might earn the starting FS spot, if he cant stay healthy he could be a good vet presence for the secondary. I gotta admit, I wanted the skins to throw some money at him a few years ago and now am glad they didnt. 

I dont think Swearinger is a FS and Im not sure Swearinger is even starter material. 

I dont think we have a FS on the roster. 

Archived