Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2017 FA Thread - OP Updated with Signings (Sundberg, Galette, VD, Hood re-signed) *** Terrell McClain, Stacy McGee, DJ Swearinger, Terrelle Pryor, Chris Carter, Brian Quick, ZACH BROWN(!!)***

DC9

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

@skinsfan93, @Morneblade

After thinking about y'all's conversation some more... I think I agree with both of your stances, in a sense.  

Even excluding Doctson, this offense is plenty dynamic, and our physicality needs to be improved - in particular short yardage and RZ running/blocking.  

I do have to question our longer term plans though.  Pryor and Thompson are on one year deals, Reed is an injury concern, Davis is aging, and Doctson is a bit of a question mark.  Crowder - man, I'm glad we have him signed past next year.  Kelley is a decent back, and brings some of that physicality.  He lacks the explosive plays, running or catching, but he brings an element our other guys lack (which helps our dynamism).  

I wouldn't be mad if we wound up with McCaffrey - he gives us another weapon, he can back up Crowder, spell Kelley, mitigate the impact of possibily losing Reed (or Thompson) to injury, etc. - but it sure would be nice to address the defense in the 1st.  Following a selection of McCaffrey with a solid edge rusher/ILB, and Dlineman (or 2), a corner and a physical interior olineman would leave me pretty happy... and we'd be addressing both of your concerns. :)

Think I'm leaning toward Reddick and maybe Foster at the moment... assuming Allen doesn't drop.  I'd like the idea of a trade back for Davis/Cunningham/Wormley.  

I know you really like McCaffery, but if we're going to go RB, I'd rather it be Cook. He's just a better runner, and that is something, if we're going to spend a 1st round pick onon a RB, he better be a great runner. McCaffery is more like a Swiss Army knife.

But I will agree with you on the lack of weapons for 2018, and Reed's injury issues. If we don't manage to resign Pryor and Reed has another concussion, thinks don't look so good.

17 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

@Skinsinparadise owns me, and I can think of at lest a few others that do as well. :)

Thanks.  But I say by a mile no one has expressed more vehemently and in an entertaining way than you as to the issues on the D line.   Hopefully, that's fixed next week in the draft.  We pretty much agree on everything, I think McDowell is our only disagreement that hits me. :)

I go back and forth with McCaffery and Cook. I'm leaning towards McCaffery though, as he's just more reliable and healthy. He would be a fantastic addition to our offense and really help on 3rds and RZ targets.

I'd be fine with him, but Im definitely more excited about defensive targets.

Im also much more excited about rounds 2- 4, than the first and baring a drop of only a couple players, I'd be fine to trade out of it.

48 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I go back and forth with McCaffery and Cook. I'm leaning towards McCaffery though, as he's just more reliable and healthy. He would be a fantastic addition to our offense and really help on 3rds and RZ targets.

I'd be fine with him, but Im definitely more excited about defensive targets.

Im also much more excited about rounds 2- 4, than the first and baring a drop of only a couple players, I'd be fine to trade out of it.

Seems like most of the draft geeks are convinced McCaffrey goes before 17 -- especially, DJ, Kiper, McShay.  I guess will see.  Cook is likely there at #17.  I like Reddick still the most.   I agree about round 2-4.  Wonder if the Texans would trade up to #17 for a QB if lets say Watson drops there.  I'd love to add a 2nd rounder-3rd rounder -- those rounds oddly seem to be the sweet spot in this draft.

4 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I know you really like McCaffery, but if we're going to go RB, I'd rather it be Cook. He's just a better runner, and that is something, if we're going to spend a 1st round pick onon a RB, he better be a great runner. McCaffery is more like a Swiss Army knife.

But I will agree with you on the lack of weapons for 2018, and Reed's injury issues. If we don't manage to resign Pryor and Reed has another concussion, thinks don't look so good.

Yeah, the traditionalist in me says two things - pick the stouter (and similarly talented) back, and don't pick a back in the first.  Given our plethora of needs short and long term, rb seems like such a luxury pick (that early).  

Then part of me says McCaffrey sort of breaks the traditional mold (loved that post about Pablo).  We can absolutely (theoretically) get our investment out of him... and that maybe changes the 'don't draft a back early' mentality.   Yes, he's a jack of all trades... but he's not limited by it, and the team that can utilizes him right will be adding a tremendous talent and potential for mismatches.  

Love our stable of weapons, but I think Jackson and Reed were the two guys that could really dictate to defenses.  We should be fine on offense regardless, but I think McCaffrey offers something similar to Reed - and it causes headaches for opposing coaches when they can't defend like they would other players at the same position.  

28 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, the traditionalist in me says two things - pick the stouter (and similarly talented) back, and don't pick a back in the first.  Given our plethora of needs short and long term, rb seems like such a luxury pick (that early).  

Then part of me says McCaffrey sort of breaks the traditional mold (loved that post about Pablo).  We can absolutely (theoretically) get our investment out of him... and that maybe changes the 'don't draft a back early' mentality.   Yes, he's a jack of all trades... but he's not limited by it, and the team that can utilizes him right will be adding a tremendous talent and potential for mismatches.  

Love our stable of weapons, but I think Jackson and Reed were the two guys that could really dictate to defenses.  We should be fine on offense regardless, but I think McCaffrey offers something similar to Reed - and it causes headaches for opposing coaches when they can't defend like they would other players at the same position.  

I have 2 issues with McCaffery. Ok, 3 I guess.

1. He might be a every down back, but he's not a lead back. He's not a 20+ carry guy. If you can't do that, I'm not going to spend a 1st round pick you.

2. Right now, we have so many weapons on the outside, someone will have to come off the field to get him on. As it is, we might have to go 3 wide to get our 2nd best receiver on the field (Crowder). Now, if Doctson ends up being a bust, Quick regresses from last year and M. Harris does not improve over last year, McCaffery becomes a much more valuable guy, unless #3 happens. But that is still a lot of "ifs".

3. I think he'll be a bust.

Went and watched a bunch of highlights and was not impressed. Watched some game logs and was not impressed. And when I say impressed, I was really focusing on him as a runner. He was fine as a WR, and honestly most impressive to me as a special teams guy. I'll be blunt, I look at the other high profile Stanford RB's that have come out, and none of them have done much in the NFL. I'm not much of a Pac 12 guy as far as it being a great conference, so I usually take anyone out of there with a grain of salt. But not even considering that, I just was left with "eh" after watching him.

By comparison, I was "wow!" with Cook, and Fournette just killed me. Like falling out of my chair, "OMFG"! But then, I like guys that distroy the guy trying to make a tackle. Because that kind of thing translates really well on any field and in any weather conditions. Cute scat backs, don't. bad field and bad weather and they tend to disappear. And guess where we play most of our games? Outside.

I just don't feel like it's a good idea to use a 1st round pick on a guy that might carry the ball 10 times a game. MIGHT. And then run back punts and kicks, and catch a couple of balls too. Maybe he gets 20 touched a game, but most might be from returns. Sorry, that in my eyes are not what you spend 1st round picks on. 3rd round pick, maybe.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Check out the new guys, always good to see them rocking Redskins kit. We seem to have a NT in there.....

http://www.redskins.com/news/article-1/PHOTOS-New-Faces-Of-The-Redskins/755c9745-7fce-42d1-89db-fd183d20464c

Phil Taylor? Yes, he's been talked about here some. Been out of football for 2 years with multiple knee injuries. If by some stroke of luck he can play like he did his rookie year, I'd be ecstatic.

But I'm not going to hold my breath. Still really need a guy.

40 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Phil Taylor? Yes, he's been talked about here some. Been out of football for 2 years with multiple knee injuries. If by some stroke of luck he can play like he did his rookie year, I'd be ecstatic.

But I'm not going to hold my breath. Still really need a guy.

I stick with my prediction on signing that McGee spends a lot of time inside at DT. We'll draft a DE and McGee is big enough to cover the inside duties.

44 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I stick with my prediction on signing that McGee spends a lot of time inside at DT. We'll draft a DE and McGee is big enough to cover the inside duties.

Gruden has said he'd be playing a rotational DE. But whatever floats your boat.

13 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Based upon the post I quoted, yes.  The better option is to look for some fresh blood at NT

In your opinion, better chance at good results with a DE in the 1st and a NT in the 2nd, or a NT in the 1st and a DE in the 2nd? (I've seen that first scenario floated in the media by "experts")

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

In your opinion, better chance at good results with a DE in the 1st and a NT in the 2nd, or a NT in the 1st and a DE in the 2nd? (I've seen that first scenario floated in the media by "experts")

I'm really not sure what you are getting at?

Depends on who is available in the scenarios. 

Point being I'm tired of just throwing bodies at the position and hoping it works.  Get someone built to play NT to play NT. 

8 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

I'm really not sure what you are getting at?

Depends on who is available in the scenarios. 

Point being I'm tired of just throwing bodies at the position and hoping it works.  Get someone built to play NT to play NT. 

Okay lol...my point was, drafting DE and NT is not mutually exclusive. So could move McGee to inside, draft a DE (that's better than Hood), then draft a NT in the 2nd. Then let training camp sort it all out lol...

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Okay lol...my point was, drafting DE and NT is not mutually exclusive. So could move McGee to inside, draft a DE (that's better than Hood), then draft a NT in the 2nd. Then let training camp sort it all out lol...

And I never said it was? But I don't get the point of continually playing people out of position when there is the potential to get players built for the spot.  

6 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

And I never said it was? But I don't get the point of continually playing people out of position when there is the potential to get players built for the spot.  

Well, you said that if we moved McGee to the inside, we should just put Hood at DE and there's our starting line up...at which we aren't trying to draft a starter at either position.

At any rate, my question to you was just to get your opinion, we aren't set at any starting position along the DL in my opinion...thought I'd ask which you felt would result in better returns. I don't really care anymore now, though lol...

17 minutes ago, SkinsTillIDie said:

Jaye Howard released by the Chiefs. Would love to pick him up -- really wanted him last year. One of the league's best run stuffers in 2015 and out-performed Poe.

I wonder why they'd release him now.

24 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

There's 4/5 good looking NT prospects around our 3/4/4.

Archived