Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2016-17 Washington Capitals Thread - Thanks for Everything, Ovi. It's Time to Move on.. #Firesale

DC9

24 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Ovechkin and Backstrom lead the team in playoff points respectively each of the last two years and they don't seem to care enough??

Pretty much.  I don't see much drive in them, Ovechkin moreso.  How many points did he have against Pittsburgh?  5 - 2 goals and 3 assists.  He was a -5 in +/-.  He doesn't forecheck.  He doesn't chase.  He doesn't play the boards.  He had 3 points against Toronto, all of them goals and only one of which was at even strength.  He was rightfully put down to the third line because that's what you do with a one demensional player who only scores from a one timer at one spot in the ice and refuses to play the rest of the offensive game of hockey.  Oh, and he can pass well, big ****ing whoop.

38 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It's not about care, our stars don't play like stars in the big dance and they don't elevate teammates. You can put blocks around Malkin and Crosby and they'll produce. Backstrom is just as guilt as Ovechkin of not doing enough.

How did Backstrom not produce?

10 hours ago, Springfield said:

Pretty much.  I don't see much drive in them, Ovechkin moreso.  How many points did he have against Pittsburgh?  5 - 2 goals and 3 assists.  He was a -5 in +/-.  He doesn't forecheck.  He doesn't chase.  He doesn't play the boards.  He had 3 points against Toronto, all of them goals and only one of which was at even strength.  He was rightfully put down to the third line because that's what you do with a one demensional player who only scores from a one timer at one spot in the ice and refuses to play the rest of the offensive game of hockey.  Oh, and he can pass well, big ****ing whoop.

No doubt Ovechkin wasn't his best against the Pens, but that wasn't because he didn't care and being a good passer is a huge part of hockey not a "big ****ing whoop."

5 minutes ago, Hersh said:

No doubt Ovechkin wasn't his best against the Pens, but that wasn't because he didn't care and being a good passer is a huge part of hockey not a "big ****ing whoop."

I mean, he was demoted to the 3rd line.  Burakovsky was a huge upgrade, simply because he would forecheck, go to the boards, shoot from anywhere.  There was one goal that Ovechkin had in the playoffs that surprised me.  That's not good enough.

Now, obviously Ovechkin was playing hurt, if you haven't seen the picture of his leg yet then give it a Google.  We can't keep making excuses though.  He needs to lose weight to gain some speed and work on the harder parts of the game like the boards and forchecking.

Backstrom was a point per game, but I was surprised to find out they he was a 0 +/-.  That's surprising to me.  Also, he registered no shots in game 7.  20 minutes + TOI in a game 7 and you don't register at least one shot?  Cmon.

44 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I mean, he was demoted to the 3rd line.  Burakovsky was a huge upgrade, simply because he would forecheck, go to the boards, shoot from anywhere.  There was one goal that Ovechkin had in the playoffs that surprised me.  That's not good enough.

Now, obviously Ovechkin was playing hurt, if you haven't seen the picture of his leg yet then give it a Google.  We can't keep making excuses though.  He needs to lose weight to gain some speed and work on the harder parts of the game like the boards and forchecking.

Backstrom was a point per game, but I was surprised to find out they he was a 0 +/-.  That's surprising to me.  Also, he registered no shots in game 7.  20 minutes + TOI in a game 7 and you don't register at least one shot?  Cmon.

Has nothing to do with want or desire. That's all I'm saying. Backstrom was the Caps best player all year. I do hope the Caps stick with spreading out the offense next year to have 3 lines that can score goals not just in the regular season but in the playoffs. 

First off, the fix already in for the Pens to win it again... that goal by Subban should have stayed and should have been able to be challenged since the refs let play resume and the Pens lost control of the puck in their own zone... it totally changed the game and gave away game 1 to Pitt.... There will need to be an asterisk next to it if they win, just like the Patriots Super Bowls...

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Multiple sources have reported that the Toronto Maple Leafs and Washington Capitals will play an outdoor game at the Naval Academy on March 3, 2018.

The announcement will be made on Monday. The stadium holds 34,000 people and will be a rematch of the first round of the playoffs in which the Capitals won in six tough games, five of which went into overtime.

John Shannon of Sportsnet.ca says that the Washington Capitals and T.J. Oshie have just about completed a new contract.

Oshie was slated to be a UFA on July 1 but this will take him off the market. There are no terms at this time but that should come shortly as Oshie would have been a highly sought-after free agent had he hit the market. Oshie had 33 goals this season, his best in his NHL career. Look for 30-plus goals and 55-60 points from Oshie this season and draft him accordingly.

I do think if Oshie comes back the lines need to be switched around. Maybe move Ovie to the second line with Kuzy. 4th line all hungry youth. First line go Backstrom, Oshie, and Burky. 2nd line Kuzy, Ovie, Wilson. Kuzy around the net, pass to Ovie for a one-timer, Wilson in front of the net to bury rebounds.

Oh, and dump Orpiks contract on Vegas. Give up a draft pick to do it. 

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

First off, the fix already in for the Pens to win it again...

Yep, Nashville getting brought up to speed that you don't just beat the pens. You have to beat the pens, the refs, the nhl and nbc, all at the same time.

I was excited to watch Game One because as I told my family, I love hockey more than I love the Caps. Still licking the wounds by seeing the Pens with the Cup patch again in Round 4 but they earned it.

However, once Subban's goal was wiped I had to turn it off in disgust. Unbelievable.

These challenge rules are bull**** and ruin the spirit of hockey to a degree. I'm still a young man but an old soul when it comes to hockey. Human error from the refs to the millisecond is part of sports. They need to get rid of that dumb ****. It comes off as another way the NHL can have a hand in controlling the outcome of the game to their own purposes while saying they just want to get it right.

OH well, **** the Penguins. I'll be tuning in Game 2 until a third party ruins the flow of the game. That was horse****. Changed the whole tone of a STANLEY CUP game with some white skate blade on white ice zoom in bull****.

On 5/28/2017 at 11:24 PM, Springfield said:

Ovechkin was playing with an injured knee on one leg and a severe hamstring pull on the other. Hockey is difficult when neither leg is at strength. Ovie plays a style that is heavy on legs, he needs explosion out of his legs. The notion that he doesn't elevate in the playoffs is ridiculous and more of the hockey media's bull**** Russian agenda. If Ovie were Canadian he would be hailed as a hard worker who just hasn't been blessed with a team that has won a cup. 

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

Ovechkin was playing with an injured knee on one leg and a severe hamstring pull on the other. Hockey is difficult when neither leg is at strength. Ovie plays a style that is heavy on legs, he needs explosion out of his legs. The notion that he doesn't elevate in the playoffs is ridiculous and more of the hockey media's bull**** Russian agenda. If Ovie were Canadian he would be hailed as a hard worker who just hasn't been blessed with a team that has won a cup. 

I mentioned that already.

Still doesn't change the fact that he needs to lose weight so that he can regain some speed and work on the more difficult parts of the game (for him) like offensive zone puck retrieval, board play and forechecking.  All of the above are things that he doesn't do that hurts us in the playoffs.

Look, I want to see Ovechkin retire a Cap as much as the next guy.  There are HUGE gaps in his game that hurt the team though.  They can be addressed, but if we get the same effort out of Ovie next season then I'd assume we get tossed in the second round again.

GMBM addressed the media finally. Highlights:

-Trotz is staying (last year of deal, no extension talks as of now)

-Ovie not being traded now, if a good deal presents itself in the future, they'd consider it

-Ovie needs to train differently, to be more explosive and less heavy

-Korn is evaluating whether he wants to continue to coach or transition to a consultant - if he leaves, in house replacement has been training

-If Rierdon leaves for Florida or Buffalo, could be replaced in house

-Team is going to get younger on 3rd and 4th line (I take that to mean Williams will not be back)

-No buyout of contract

-Top four on defense: Niskanen, Orlov, Carlson, Schmidt

-Team open to negotiating LTDs for Orlov and Kuznetsov

-Priority is re-signing RFAs and worrying about UFAs if money is available

6 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

GMBM addressed the media finally. Highlights:

-Trotz is staying (last year of deal, no extension talks as of now)

-Ovie not being traded now, if a good deal presents itself in the future, they'd consider it

-Ovie needs to train differently, to be more explosive and less heavy

-Korn is evaluating whether he wants to continue to coach or transition to a consultant - if he leaves, in house replacement has been training

-If Rierdon leaves for Florida or Buffalo, could be replaced in house

-Team is going to get younger on 3rd and 4th line (I take that to mean Williams will not be back)

-No buyout of contract

-Top four on defense: Niskanen, Orlov, Carlson, Schmidt

-Team open to negotiating LTDs for Orlov and Kuznetsov

-Priority is re-signing RFAs and worrying about UFAs if money is available

So after all the talk even by the GM about how this would be the last run for this group virtually nothing will change. 

Not buying out Orpik is foolish and should disappoint everyone. Did he not just watch the playoffs?

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

So after all the talk even by the GM about how this would be the last run for this group virtually nothing will change. 

Reading tea leaves here, but if the priority is RFA over UFA, Oshie and Williams are gone. Top 4 on D of Orlov-Nisky and Schmidt-Carlson leaves an opening for a young guy from Hershey on the 3rd pair.  If Oshie and Williams walk, that's 2 spots for young guys from Hershey as well.

So according to GMBM the (broken) window that was supposed to close after last season is now being duct taped up for one more storm season? lol

I mean, I get it.. "It's much easier to make the team worse than better", blah blah.. Truth is the regular season success is more than enough for the "boss" to hang his hat on. Any playoff failure is quickly brushed aside as long as season ticket sales and arena sellouts stay strong and they are competitive entertaining in the regular season. It's a good business model for the Metro area.. A true hockey town would run them out of the district after a decade + of playoff failure, but that's not gonna happen in "Ted's DC".. Is what it is I guess.

2 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

Reading tea leaves here, but if the priority is RFA over UFA, Oshie and Williams are gone. Top 4 on D of Orlov-Nisky and Schmidt-Carlson leaves an opening for a young guy from Hershey on the 3rd pair.  If Oshie and Williams walk, that's 2 spots for young guys from Hershey as well.

I thought every one said Oshie re-signing was a done deal. It's certainly is in this thread. 

I think any "young guys" (If we actually have any NHL ready) will be replacing Williams, Winnik and possibly Connolly. (and Oshie if they don't sign him)

It'd be almost funny watching this team try and field 4 "full time" prospect types next year on the forward side.. Trotz would probably lose his hair start to grow hair again! :ols:

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I feel like Alzner is our best defenseman, and that's not saying much, but should at least attempt to keep him.

He was literally the worst of the 7 defensemen this year. Chorney was better than Alzner.  I have never seen a defenseman fall off the cliff as quickly as Alzner did over an offseason. He was the best defenseman in the playoffs until he hurt his groin at the end of game 6, and he was a albatross for every partner he played with this season.  Brutal.  Abysmal.  Adam Archuleta with the Skins bad.

Archived