Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Expecting A Really Quiet Summer & Camp

Veryoldschool

I can't remember the last time the Skins were drama free like now.  We witnessed a couple of business like extensions of top performers, a franchise tag for Cousins that everyone saw coming followed by quiet assurances from all parties that harmonious discussions are continuing that may or may not lead to a multi-year deal in July.  Then a major FA signing followed by the player coming in and going to work and showing every sign of melding into the team.

Of course the high price FA is happy but his new teammates took it in stride, there was barely a ripple. Best of all from my perspective there weren't any he's our savior story lines followed by hyper jersey sales. It is a veritable sea of tranquility in Ashburn and the Skins seem like a real foot ball team not a reality show for the first time since the reality TV genre was born.

I'm sure winning a division title played a huge role in things but it is more than a taste of success at work here I think multiple people are responsible for the transition.  Scot Mccloughan who conducts his business without roiling the waters, affable Jay Gruden, Cousins taking center stage and handling it with polish on and off the field, other players and of course the welcome absence of a major drama queen also contributed to the placid atmosphere.  Whatever the causes I'm looking forward to a productive summer camp and successful season.  Chemistry and team culture is a vital part of a franchise success.  Maybe we are witnessing the start of something different and very welcome, let us hope.

I dunno. I think VOS is on to something and I do credit McGloughan for it. I think we are witnessing a true culture change at Redskins Park and the lack of drama that even the media cannot seem to extort out the facility is striking. 

VOS...let's go back to summer camp! ES First Annual Summer Camp and Bonfire!!! No cells for a week. We are 12 yo boys again... WITH CASH!!! :)

No SO's. Eat. Drink. Sleep. Crap. Camping, hiking, fishing, water sports, fireworks, touch football, ****ing around or whatever. Talking Redskins around the fire and under the stars.

Guitars and/or music! (No puking).

How's that for a peaceful Redskins summer camp!?!?! ;)

Another "Very Old School" thought, turned thread. :o

We're just a few weeks away from camp.  Not far off now.  The competition is going to be ridiculous come the end of July. 

Between now and then there aren't a lot of opportunities for anything to pop up.  You can see the media TRYING with some of the DJAX stuff.  But no one else seems bothered by it (as they shouldn't be).

Everyone is focused on their jobs and the locker room seems to be tight.

Kind of like a professional football organization.

Sad that we have a thread about this. 

Yeah, it is sad that the Skins were a soap opera or reality program the last couple of decades but I'm appreciating and commending the distinct change the I belief portends a lot of future success.

I think this will be the first preseason since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I honestly don't remember, maybe 2005?

Where every single pass by the QB, good or bad, is looked at under a microscope and over analyzed.

This was happening for years between both Griffin and Cousins. The difference now is there will be far less spin to the observations, and less drama.

In fact, Keim (while reporting how sharp Cousins was this week) casually mentioned that Kirk was much more erratic last week and I didn't hear a peep about it.

I think this will be the first preseason since,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I honestly don't remember, maybe 2005?

Where every single pass by the QB, good or bad, is looked at under a microscope and over analyzed.

You're kidding, right? lol...

I think we had 274 pages alone on whether or not Griffin's long pass to Garcon in the first preseason game last year was a good pass or a bad pass.

You're kidding, right? lol...

I think we had 274 pages alone on whether or not Griffin's long pass to Garcon in the first preseason game last year was a good pass or a bad pass.

Hahaha oh yes I remember, but the difference now is there is no longer a QB competition (whether the coach or not was saying so beforehand the previous couple of seasons).  

My point is that it's not like a few erratic or bad passes from Cousins in a preseason game is going to have half the fanbase demanding the backup be changed to the starter.

The team hasn't had this much certainty at the QB position going into the season in awhile. 

Hahaha oh yes I remember, but the difference now is there is no longer a QB competition (whether the coach or not was saying so beforehand the previous couple of seasons).  

My point is that it's not like a few erratic or bad passes from Cousins in a preseason game is going to have half the fanbase demanding the backup be changed to the starter.

The team hasn't had this much certainty at the QB position going into the season in awhile. 

That part in bold is VERY true, you're right lol...

That is, until Nate Sudfeld lights up the 3rd stringers in preseason lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/06/13/hail-to-the-redskinzzzzz/

Hail to the Redskinzzzzz

Something strange has happened to the Redskins. The soap operas have been replaced by replays of a 1997 Leesburg Planning Commission meeting. The most polarizing topic in the media room might be when will that new Taco Bell on Loudoun County Parkway finally open. The revolving doors have temporarily stopped revolving, and the spinners at the moment have nothing to spin. Ashburnistan has become Ashboring.

“It’s almost like New England — but less drama about a suspended quarterback, and no deflated balls,” noted Chris Baker last week, after yet another no-news-is-good-news week of practice.  

Before all of New England starts composing outraged e-mails about Baker’s ignorance toward ideal gas law, bear in mind that he was joking. But he wasn’t kidding about the lack of headlines roiling Redskins Park, where “Matt Jones attempts to cut down on fumbling” now passes as a news alert. I asked Baker whether this has been the dullest of his five offseasons in Washington.

It not just Cousins that has locked up his critical position the question mark has been removed from Gruden's door and put in storage while Scot Mccloughan made believers of everyone paying attention.  They'll be stories this summer some real and some manufactured but nothing like it has been the last couple of decades

Let me bring you songs from the wood:

to make you feel much better than you could know.

Dust you down from tip to toe.

Show you how the garden grows.

Hold you steady as you go.

Join the chorus if you can:

it'll make of you an honest man.

Hahahaha!!!!

I know it's not football but.....

A Jethro Tull reference!!!!  Awesome! They have been one of my favorite bands since the mid 1970's. Saw them 5 times from 1976 to 1980. Ian Anderson seriously knows how to put on a show!

Songs of the Wood was a great album and title song! Awesome tour also! Right up there with Aqualung, Too Young to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die, Heavy Horses and Thick as a Brick!

Thanks for posting!

I know it's not football but.....

A Jethro Tull reference!!!!  Awesome! They have been one of my favorite bands since the mid 1970's. Saw them 5 times from 1976 to 1980. Ian Anderson seriously knows how to put on a show!

Songs of the Wood was a great album and title song! Awesome tour also! Right up there with Aqualung, Too Young to Rock and Roll, Too Young to Die, Heavy Horses and Thick as a Brick!

They're not, metal, though. ;)

Archived