Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 FA - CT25, Jr., Ribs, Blackmon, LJLP, Colt, Ked, Foster, Nacho re-sign! JOSH NORMAN, Booth, Toler, Vern, Garvin, Bruton, Reyes sign!

DC9

Steve Wiznewski

There are undisclosed injuries / surgeries concerning Wiz. That's why Oakland let him go, why he floated in free agency last year and why he only got a 1 yr deal. And I'd be willing to bet the papertrail goes back to Penn State. 

We know about the most recent shoulder surgery, but the "whatelse" is probably proprietary info. There's just something going on. 

There are undisclosed injuries / surgeries concerning Wiz. That's why Oakland let him go, why he floated in free agency last year and why he only got a 1 yr deal. And I'd be willing to bet the papertrail goes back to Penn State. 

We know about the most recent shoulder surgery, but the "whatelse" is probably proprietary info. There's just something going on. 

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. What a shame. I don't really see any centers on the list worth mentioning either. Be nice if Long could slide over this offseason and take the reigns. His run blocking is really improving and it would open the door for AK to start potentially.

Berry would be a nice addition. Him and Hall/Jarrett/JJ would make a nice safety group.

I didn't really notice Hall playing much safety, did any one else?

I didn't really notice Hall playing much safety, did any one else?

I honestly didn't even know he was healthy until I re-watched the game last night and saw him in on the tackle on either the last play or second to last play.

Even then I was like... "that's 23... did we get a new 23?" lol

Don't know how many snaps he got back there, but if we didn't notice him that's not a bad thing at all.

Wilkerson

But that's what people are expecting from A'Shawn Robinson. That talent. Only with Robinson, you'd have a rookie contract instead of a mega FA one. 

Personally, I think both Malik Jackson and Derek Wolfe from Denver are underrated and make that defense click. But in the draft, besides Robinson in the 1st round, you can get good athletes and workhards like Reed and Allen from Bama as well, later.

Basically, get two or more guys instead of one in FA, get two or more guys for less than a 1st. Theory.

Both Jackson and Wolfe combined might be the same money you'd pay for one Wilkerson.

Ha, but I don't do contracts, lol. Both Wolfe and Jackson are free agents I'd target.

I guess it depends on a LOT of factors. Is SL back and healthy? How does AK look? Can Long pick up C or lock down G? What FAs become available? How does the draft shake down?

I'm not sure those things would matter to me so much if I'm making the call. If I can get Glenn, I let Lauvao go in a half a heartbeat. And I likely let him go regardless.  If Kouandjio develops, then he could be a god back-up, and with Glenn's ability to play T, Arie could potentially effectively back up several spots if he shows anything. And I'm not really worried about Long turning in to a star this point. 

It also seems like people have forgotten about Niles Paul when thinking about signing free agents and spending high draft picks. Between Reed, Paul and the 5th we gave up for Carrier, it's hard to imagine we'll be investing a lot in the position, outside of (hopefully) extending Reed.

There's a replacement for everyone. 

Specifically, I could replace Paul with Devon Cajuste, if need be. And Cajuste would not require a premium draft selection. He's another inbetween WR/TE ... but with hands. 

Reed ideally is healthy and can go because he makes our offense click, especially on 3rd down. But the health, man, the health. I have no assurances he's gonna last. 

OJ Howard is a good Move-TE prospect. And isn't everyone in the NFL now just basically splitting out their TEs? 

But in the bargain department, so too is David Grinnage from NC State. In fact, Grinnage is a combo TE, because even though he splits out wide like a WR in State's scheme, the dude is 270 lbs. Yeah. And he's got hands. 

Another bargain coupon deal is the TE from Pittsburgh, Holtz, who is basically an in-line guy who can catch the ball. 

What we have now is uncertainty. And we're making due. Ideally we have an all-everything TE who can in-line block in addition to hopefully catch the ball well. That's why Grinnage is top of my list.

I always did like Dwayne Allen from Clemson and thought his selection in addition to Fleener was inspired. He did have a real good start to his career in Indy, before injury, and before Luck started screwing up.

But, I'd be surprised if we didn't address TE. 

There's a replacement for everyone. 

Specifically, I could replace Paul with Devon Cajuste, if need be. And Cajuste would not require a premium draft selection. He's another inbetween WR/TE ... but with hands. 

Reed ideally is healthy and can go because he makes our offense click, especially on 3rd down. But the health, man, the health. I have no assurances he's gonna last. 

What we have now is uncertainty. And we're making due. Ideally we have an all-everything TE who can in-line block in addition to hopefully catch the ball well. That's why Grinnage is top of my list.

But, I'd be surprised if we didn't address TE. 

Obviously there's a replacement for everyone. But let's not forget that Niles Paul was #1 on the depth chart heading into preseason, ahead of Reed. As it stands, Paul is certainly among the very best #2 tight ends in the league, a guy who adds a lot more than Carrier as a pass catcher and a guy who can get downfield. As a core special teamer and one of those heart-and-soul guys in the lockerroom, he's not going anywhere.

And given that McCloughan just gave up a 5th for Carrier, I doubt he's going anywhere either.

With only 4 picks in the first 5 rounds, and pressing needs everyone on defense, with both our starting X and Z receivers closing in on the end of their respective tenures here, I think there's basically 0 chance we look to add a tight end before the 6th round. It's a luxury pick, too soon in this roster build. I say this as someone who absolutely loves tight ends.

––

It's also completely baffling that anyone thinks we're going to be -- or need to be -- targeting LG in the draft. We have Shawn Lauvao (who was playing great before his injury), Spencer Long (who's been playing well and getting better as a first-year starter, like Scherff and Moses), and Scot McCloughan JUST drafted Arie Kouandjio in the 4th round. We're not investing more there. We're probably deeper at the guard position than anywhere else on the team

I'm not sure those things would matter to me so much if I'm making the call. If I can get Glenn, I let Lauvao go in a half a heartbeat. And I likely let him go regardless.  If Kouandjio develops, then he could be a god back-up, and with Glenn's ability to play T, Arie could potentially effectively back up several spots if he shows anything. And I'm not really worried about Long turning in to a star this point. 

I don't disagree with any of that. It would be great to add a stud Center to our line. I figure we roll with Litch, still being under contract, try Long there again and try to draft one later in the draft again. I remember JG hinting that Scherff could do it. That would be nice, if he could turn into a PB C. We definitely need a better back up option at T, because it seems like TW is always going to miss a bit of time at some point. Regardless, any investment into our OLine, I'm down with.

Callahan may have been our best offseason move. 

I think if we bring in a WR, it only makes sense if we A. Get rid of Garcon and Jackson, and B.  Get a top tier dominant WR.

With our style of play, it makes little sense to have a pretty great WR who costs 9 mill a year.  If hes not a super dominant $12 mill per year big receiver like say Jeffrey, or Julio Jones, whats the point?  We spread the ball around so much, that pretty good receivers end up getting only 4-5 looks per game.  That makes spending big on a player who might make 3-4 catches a big waste.  However, I could see it being effective if you remove Jackson and Garcon, spend 12-14 million on a guy who is so dominant the defense ALWAYS has to double team or risk easy 1 on 1s, and who is big and able to bring down those fades in the end zone.  

First choice Cordy Glenn for LG. http://es.redskins.com/topic/391982-2016-comprehensive-nfl-draft-database/page-21#entry10398596

Multiplicity achieved for tackle spots in case of injury. That means premium contract.

If unattainable, Kelechi Osemele for LG. If neither, you get nothing. Don't reach. 

The draft has Evan Boehm for Center, from Missouri. There will be competition, likely seattle. Boehm is the top Center prospect becuase Dan Voltz won't enter early, would be very un-Wisconsin for him to do so. He's also nursing an injury. Voltz would be #1, but he ain't coming out. That means Boehm. 

One may want to safeguard themselves with an option in free agency in case we are unable to get Boehm, but I feel like we have that insurance policy within our roster already. The guy is under contact beyond this year, Lich.

I don't see the value for Center in free agency, rather the draft. I'd only be inclined to scout Ben Jones, Wiz and Walton, only for the info. 

I believe you approach free agency the same way you approach the draft. You look for the strengths of the class and attempt to take advantage of it. If an opportunity presents itself, you pounce. But likewise, you don't reach. If you get caught up in trying to fill holes and allow yourself to settle for anything other than your first choice, then you've failed at free agency. 

I'd go after Eric Berry. It creates a ripple effect and automatically adds depth with the current roster. Despite going for knockout shots, Goldson has kept things relatively well aligned in the secondary, especially in comparison to past greats like Madieu Williams. You keep Goldson but add Berry, thus creating depth with the other guys like Jarrett. 

Berry would be for FS. 

Similarly to Center, I'd like to draft our Cornerback. However, I could be talked into Josh Norman for boundary CB. Culliver has been disappointing. If we decided to draft our boundary CB, like J. Ramsey, then I could be talked into Janoris Jenkins for slot CB / Nickel CB. 

The other thing is that there are plenty of cheap free agent CBs out there right now, like Isaiah Frey. Although, I think he was placed on the Steelers practice squad upon searching. And next year, after cuts, there might be someone like Doran Grant (who is an ERFA in 2016) available. Again, Steelers. Work from the back-end and not pay a premium price. 

The big thing for us is to scout the hell out of Cornerback for the draft. There are more guys out there than just who is available in the 1st round. You know, the whole Steelers thing of finding mid-round stars for CB ... Ike Taylor (4th round).

As for ILB, there's still an opportunity for us to grab a guy from another team's practice squad.

Taiwan Jones is still unprotected on the Jets practice squad. Again, I'd ideally use the draft, however, I can also see how my plan of targeting Boehm and Kevin Hogan and perhaps a CB early could easily place LB in a spot where the remaining draft talent would not be anywhere near what free agency could provide. 

I'm open for scouting ILB for FA. 

As for d-line, there's lots of pie in the sky stuff in free agency. I like A'Shawn Robinson in the draft. But I also like J. Reed #90 and J. Allen #93, both of whom will be available after Robinson. I understand why folks are bringing up M. Wilkerson in FA, he would cost a pretty penny ya know. I'd look for a bargain deal. I was one of the few who like Malik Jackson in the draft. He's done plenty well as a DE in Denver. Fits the 3-4 too. 

Early prospectus. 

center is a need and must. for ilb I wouldn't mind jack and the kid from temple. so underrated and smarts! hardworking! a typical scott guy! They talked about tyler all throughout the norte dame game and his growth from fresh to senior year and how watching game tape is a huge thing for him.

now I can imagine him and breeland going over the other teams tendencies

First off, sign Cousins asap. We need consistency at QB and he's improving every week. 

We need to upgrade at C, ILB, DE and LG. LG is still up for debate as Long has shown progress; Luvauo was never better than average. Cut DJax, keep Garcon, don't overpay for big name WRs, they won't be utilized in this offense. 

Enough with the talk about Weddle and Berry. Weddle is 31 and Berry has been barely average since making his comeback. Both will command muchos dineros- I want no part of those long term trap deals.

Out of the FAs added this past off-season, I want to re-sign Galette & Pot Roast and restructure Goldson. Goldson has been $4M/yr good... not $9M/yr good. 

Obviously, cut RG.

off-field issues or not, he's served his time...

Give me Josh Gordon for this offense over any WR in this FA crop any day of the week, period. I just hope he's been training during this year off but man, that dude can play some football.

*He's easy to forget because he's low on the list, money wise, and he's been suspended for the year.

off-field issues or not, he's served his time...

Give me Josh Gordon for this offense over any WR in this FA crop any day of the week, period. I just hope he's been training during this year off but man, that dude can play some football.

*He's easy to forget because he's low on the list, money wise, and he's been suspended for the year.

good call. Didn't even think about him.

Why would you say that everyone will be up in arms over that?

Because he won't sign some big name wr or s in FA, he'll draft those positions on some order that will make everyone mad, and then week 10 when we are 6-4 I'll go bring the offseason threads to the top and laugh with you.

Archived