Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cousins Is The Man

Veryoldschool

This kind of moving target stuff is just crazy. Eventually he is going to have a bad game, some bad plays. At what time do we stop this be overly critical garbage?

1 - This is a battered fan-base of a team that has been dubbed a marketing organization that happens to play football for a reason. I find it ridiculous to criticize cautious optimism. Being sold false hopes is what we've been living on for the last 25 years.

At some point if the fan-base doesn't become skeptical and cautiously optimistic you have to start wondering if we're all just really, really stupid.

2 - Cousins has improved incrementally. Sometime small increments, sometimes bigger, but never leaps and bounds. He didn't just 'get it' one day. He started with running the play the way the coaches wanted. Going through progressions, getting the ball out on timing. He started by working on not throwing interceptions. Over the course of 14 regular season starts he's progressed to making plays; finding the open guy, understanding defenses, and doing more than just timing and basic progressions.

It's natural that the fan-base following his growth would likewise raise the bar in incremental steps along the way.

When is enough, enough? Who knows. 3-4 years of being healthy, playing at a top level, and allowing the team to have some stability and thus improve the team around him; therefore making it to his 3rd (and second big) contract with the team...

Ridiculously high bar? Yeah... it should be.

Though for a few teams that's just SOP...

Of course it's silly, I am lampooning those in this thread who have proven to be such horrible talent evaluators that it makes one question their motivation. Well, not really.  We know their motivation.

Ah!

welll, then it was brilliant!

~Bang

It occurred to me yesterday that the "magic eye" that I saw in Kirk that reminded me of Brady was not illusory (go back to 2012) but that he hadn't yet experienced what Tom did at Michigan with someone, temporarily, supplanting him. Once Brady proved he was the best, after working at it, he took the reins snd never let go. Getting his chance in the NFL was just about getting on the field, but he was ready.

Kirk needed his Drew Henson moment as a professional and really seemed to answer the challenge slowly over time.

(Note: after 2012, I thought both QBs had "it", but by end of last year was souring on both to the point I thought Colt should get a few starts just to see about this year.)

Not just great game, but ANOTHER great game.

Best part for me,, he's even. All business. I see NO trace of the old self doubt and confusion. 

Yesterday he took chances, took shots, and we saw the first dominant game out of DeSean Jackson.  Saw what he brings to the table and why we should not just let him walk after the season if at all possible. If a QB can get him the ball, he can explode, and Kirk can get him the ball.

the first deep pass he caught was a beauty of a rainbow throw, and Kirk looked like it was just an every-day average walk-in-the-park throw.

I liked the point the TV crew made about how Kirk considers himself a "distributor", and yesterday he was practically perfect in that role, and showed why it does not mean he's only a cog in the wheel..   he's the main driving force of the offense, and consistently is distributing the ball to the right receiver at the right time and letting them go make plays.

To me, that makes him a playmaker.

10 play 7 minute drives are normal for him now. Connecting on third and 10+ for a first down is normal for him now. Nothing fazes him, and he looks completely confident that he is going to score each and every timer he has the ball.

And so am I.

Minute and a half left and 70 yards to go? i now have an expectation that we can make it instead of expecting to run out of time. Putting the ball in Kirk's hands with time left is getting to be a problem for opposing defenses.

Cousins dominated the game yesterday. DOMINATED.

Our offense looked unstoppable.

Now, i know people say "oh it's the Bills,, they have a bad D", and i say SO WHAT.

what else does a dominant QB do to a bad defense?

Control the ball all day and lay 5 TDs on them, that's what.

Hail Captain Kirk!

~Bang

This! This and this again empathicly this!

I have elevated him from career backup to low level game manager.  I couple more like yesterday and he might be a system QB. 

I don't know if I could give him that much credit, He needs to learn how to manage games before I can call him a game manager. He only ran for 1 TD yesterday, which I think is far below average for a running QB like him. When we needed him to manage the clock in the 3rd quarter, he totally screwed that up by throwing a bomb to DJax for a TD, what an idiot! What did he burn, 45 seconds on that drive? For the entire game he only had a little over 300 yards passing and 4 TD's, with only 1 rushing TD. If it wasn't for Reed, DJax, and Garcon, he would not have had 1 TD pass, not even 1! Humble yourself before crowning him "Game Manager" He has a long way to go before I can give him that title!

1 - This is a battered fan-base of a team that has been dubbed a marketing organization that happens to play football for a reason. I find it ridiculous to criticize cautious optimism. Being sold false hopes is what we've been living on for the last 25 years.

At some point if the fan-base doesn't become skeptical and cautiously optimistic you have to start wondering if we're all just really, really stupid.

2 - Cousins has improved incrementally. Sometime small increments, sometimes bigger, but never leaps and bounds. He didn't just 'get it' one day. He started with running the play the way the coaches wanted. Going through progressions, getting the ball out on timing. He started by working on not throwing interceptions. Over the course of 14 regular season starts he's progressed to making plays; finding the open guy, understanding defenses, and doing more than just timing and basic progressions.

It's natural that the fan-base following his growth would likewise raise the bar in incremental steps along the way.

When is enough, enough? Who knows. 3-4 years of being healthy, playing at a top level, and allowing the team to have some stability and thus improve the team around him; therefore making it to his 3rd (and second big) contract with the team...

Ridiculously high bar? Yeah... it should be.

Though for a few teams that's just SOP...

I have been a Redskins fan for over 50 yrs, so please spare me the 20 battered fan BS. That's just an excuse to be an ass.

The point of supporting a team, is to support the team. Not sit there a **** and moan and keep setting new and more ridiculous thresholds for the team/players to reach and then keep ****ing when they get there!

No one is saying he is a finished product. I also get that after the first game you can't declare him here. I was exactly where you are at the start of the year and even as late as 4 weeks ago. But it's getting old. Also, it's starting to go from true concern to just resetting the bar to salvage peoples egos.

As for waiting 4 yrs before supporting him just makes no sense.

I have been a Redskins fan for over 50 yrs, so please spare me the 20 battered fan BS. That's just an excuse to be an ass.

Well, OK then!

The point of supporting a team, is to support the team. Not sit there a **** and moan and keep setting new and more ridiculous thresholds for the team/players to reach and then keep ****ing when they get there!

I see very few people bittching and moaning about anything.

I see a lot of people saying he's doing great and setting expectations for taking a next step.

With the ongoing background thought/conversation of - what ar ewe going to pay him, because we have to pay him.

As for waiting 4 yrs before supporting him just makes no sense.

That would make no sense.

The obvious problem is we weren't talking about supporting him. He has plenty of support.

Did you not hear the entire stadium chanting "You Like That?!" yesterday?

The question you asked was: "At what time do we stop this be overly critical garbage?"

Hmm,  labels? Here is what he is:

He is the starting QB for the Washington Redskins. He is in the middle of a 8 gm streak in which he is:

5-3 -   185 of 254 for 72.8% comp - 16TDs (pass)  3 Int, 3 TDE (Rush), 2250 yds for  QBR of 115.  Game manager? Hardly.

Perhaps we can upgrade him to "system QB" even though every qb that has ever been great had a system that fit them.

On a side note, god help Cousins if he doesn't do well on Saturday and/or the team loses.

This fan-base can go from over the top euphoria to pitchforks at the drop of a hat.

It'll take weeks (maybe longer depending on how week 17 goes) to get back to looking at the big picture and being pleased again.

On a side note, god help Cousins if he doesn't do well on Saturday and/or the team loses.

This fan-base can go from over the top euphoria to pitchforks at the drop of a hat.

It'll take weeks (maybe longer depending on how week 17 goes) to get back to looking at the big picture and being pleased again.

Good thing we fans don't make the decisions and Scott does.

With that said, I think the only box he's yet to check is winning a big one with a national audience.  It would probably do wonders for his own psyche to check that box.

Well, OK then!

I see very few people bittching and moaning about anything.

I see a lot of people saying he's doing great and setting expectations for taking a next step.

With the ongoing background thought/conversation of - what ar ewe going to pay him, because we have to pay him.

That would make no sense.

The obvious problem is we weren't talking about supporting him. He has plenty of support.

Did you not hear the entire stadium chanting "You Like That?!" yesterday?

The question you asked was: "At what time do we stop this be overly critical garbage?"

You are taking this is a different direction. So let me do a course correction.

I responded to someone who set yet a new set of conditions on if Kirk should be our QB moving forward. You then took offence to parts of that response from a different angle.

Having said that, there are many, many people still complaining about Kirk. Maybe not as many on ES but elsewhere, NFL.com, Hog Heaven, Comcast. Who was talking about at the game? Why would anyone there be complaining? Really stupid analogy. But Ok, I will play along. Yes, I was there with my son in a suite watching the game chanting with the rest of the fans. So, yea I heard it.  

OK, so change it from supporting, although not sure being overly critical is supporting the team, to just stop setting new pass/fail criteria and just waiting for him to fail so you can come in after a loss and rip[ the guy apart - and yes that happens in here all the time. If we lose to philly, this place will be over0run with - told you he sucks. He is just a game manager, the team sucks, fire jay, fire kirk, fire fire fire!!!!!  

And by your assessment we should expect this type of irresponsible over-reaction to the normal ups and downs of a football team, especially one that's growing for 3 or 4 season before expecting that to stop? I stand by my statement that it's silly. The entire team could be different by then.

Done with this rabbit hole. You want to set new "he has to... ****" all you want, be "cautiously optimistic (read whine here)" al you want to. I am going to enjoy us being in the hunt for a Div and a PO game.   HTTR!  Let's beat philly! 

You are taking this is a different direction. So let me do a course correction.

I responded to someone who set yet a new set of conditions on if Kirk should be our QB moving forward.

Was this the post you were responding to?

Let's see how he does at the Eagles... 2 ints and a fumble will have this thread filled with how sucky he is...

I didn't think he was stating a "new set of conditions" for whether Cousins should be the QB moving forward. I thought he was making a statement about how fickle fans can be from one week to the next.

In fact, he basically said as much:

"it's just every time we loose everyone says he sucks and every time we win people talk about how great he is."

He also said he's fine "moving forward" with Cousins right now, doesn't need him to first beat the Eagles on Saturday:

"He is our quarterback, I'm fine resigning him to a contract which I think we will have to pay up for..."

He does state, though, that he's yet to believe Cousins is "the man" yet and won't until he wins more than one playoff game:

"...he ain't the man till he wins more than one playoff game....the other guy took us to a playoff game, but he definitely wasn't the man."

I don't see any goalposts being moved or anything like that. It does sound like he's defining "the man" as something with a higher standard that Cousins hasn't had the opportunity to reach yet.

Imagine if this guy had the running game we had in 2012 with Morris going over 1500 yards.

The success of the 2012 running game was based on the read-option, so that's a non-starter.

But as long as we're playing what-if, how about this:

Imagine if Kirk was the only QB we drafted in 2012.  Imagine if we spent that 1st and 2nd rounder on a C and CB or FS.  Kirk spends that year learning whatever offense Kyle installs for him (hint: not the read-option) and throwing interceptions. In 2013 we spend a 1st round pick on best available inside linebacker or D-line, and Kirk develops to at least where he is now.  In 2014 we get another 1st round pick, maybe spend that one on the O-line again, and 2014 and 2015 we compete for deep playoff runs.

The success of the 2012 running game was based on the read-option, so that's a non-starter.

But as long as we're playing what-if, how about this:

Imagine if Kirk was the only QB we drafted in 2012.  Imagine if we spent that 1st and 2nd rounder on a C and CB or FS.  Kirk spends that year learning whatever offense Kyle installs for him (hint: not the read-option) and throwing interceptions. In 2013 we spend a 1st round pick on best available inside linebacker or D-line, and Kirk develops to at least where he is now.  In 2014 we get another 1st round pick, maybe spend that one on the O-line again, and 2014 and 2015 we compete for deep playoff runs.

things happen for a reason, and while i praise the shanahan's for drafting kirk, they just as easily could have ruined him, although i would be lying if i said i hadn't thought numerous times about where this team would be with kirk and the draft picks, but we will never know

things still have to fall your way and the rams aren't setting the world on fire

geez. 

this is it. 

Kirk comes through this weekend, and i would think anyone who was on the fence about him and his future with Skins (I think me still) would no choice but to back him right? They would be required to acknowledge him as our franchise QB or they would be insane. 

By far the biggest game of his career? 

I wonder what some will do when they can no longer pund their chest about Cousins, always being a supporter and how others bash Cousins. Those sharing poor views of Cousins represents the minority, its over guys, Cousins is a fan favorite and most are excited. Move on!

I wonder what some will do when they can no longer pund their chest about Cousins, always being a supporter and how others bash Cousins. Those sharing poor views of Cousins represents the minority, its over guys, Cousins is a fan favorite and most are excited. Move on!

A very, very, VERY small minority at that. Well, at least here on ES. Apparently on twitter there are still more than enough vocal Cousins detractors carrying on from what i'm told...as long as they stay there and don't migrate here I'm good lol...

A very, very, VERY small minority at that. Well, at least here on ES. Apparently on twitter there are still more than enough vocal Cousins detractors carrying on.

I'm a part of a few Redskins related groups on facebook for which I rarely pay attention and practically never comment on anything.  I have started noticing some of this delusional, ridiculousness that gets talked about here.  A lot of times when posters talk about all the RG3 "fanboys" I'm left scractching my head because I really don't notice much of it here on ES, particularly of late.  They do certainly exist on social media as I experienced yesterday.  We were up 21-0 at the half and some guy starts posting about how "Love my skins but Buffalo's offense is more fun to watch".  The same offense that had 0 points at the half.  That comment was followed by some stuff about Gruden being a backstabber and #RG3.  This led me to check out a few more posts and I just had to get the heck out of there. 

Archived