Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Flipping the Script: How the Redskins can avoid playing like "The Redskins" this week

Reaper Skins

Week 2 finds us in an all too familiar situation with the team facing off against the Rams, my least favorite team in the NFL, and a perennial thorn in the side of the Redskins. 

Based on our roster, the way we've played the Rams in the past, and the penchant for disaster that seems to hang like a cloud above this team, I figured I would point out 3 potential traps and pitfalls that seem to show up for the Redskins gameday in years past, as well as things the team can hopefully do to avoid falling into them.  In yesterday's press conference Gruden made a point of emphasis in "flipping the script" and the emphasized how important it is to be on the giving end of momentum shifting plays.  I feel that we are on the right track in rebuilding this team, and took a step forward against the Dolphins.  Here are some ways to avoid taking two steps back this week.

Penalties:

Through one week the Redskins O-line has already shown a knack for false starts, holding calls, and delay of game penalties.  Not only is the Rams d-line consistently one of the best in the NFL, they are also extremely dirty and like to try and anger their opponents into losing their cool. 

In 2012 we lost a very winnable game against the Rams due to the replacement refs losing control and were letting the Rams get away with unsportsmanlike conduct all game.  Redskins players were getting progressively more and more frustrated as the game went on.  Both Carriker and Orakpo had to leave because of injuries caused by dirty play along the lines.   The game also ended with a Josh Morgan penalty, caused by him being baited into going after a defender. 

http://www.washingto...n-red/?page=all

Coaches should spend all week reemphasizing the need to play smart football and not allow our players to get sucked in to petty scuffles that keep them from focusing on winning the game.  If I’m the Rams, I’m spending all day going after 3 people:

-          Our rookie lineman Scherff: trying to mentally psych him out and get him outside his game with cheap shots

-          Bashad Breeland:  First game back from suspension, he was also our most penalized CB last year.  Expect the Rams to target him early while he spends the day shaking off the rust.  We as fans need to temper our unrealistic expectations that he will come in and singlehandedly save our secondary in one game.  He will not live up to the insane hype we’ve built up around him this offseason but can be a difference maker if we use him wisely.

-          DeAngelo Hall:  He’s already injured from last week.  He will be looking to cover his lost step by trying to psyche out Rams recievers and getting in their heads.  Expect it to work for 2-3 quarters and then get exposed down the stretch unless we give him help.

Jordan Reed and Over Reliance on one player:

-          Too often the Redskins are exposed as being a one trick pony.  Whether its an injury to a starter or lack of depth, they frequently seem to not have more than one strategy on gameday and struggle once their first option has been neutralized.  Last week showed the emergence, and frankly over reliance of this team's need for Jordan Reed

-          After last week he will not be flying under the radar anymore.  With Jackson getting hurt expect the Rams to play containment football and neutralize our most effective receiver from last week until we make them pay for it. 

-          We cannot allow Reed to be our only weapon.  We need to be multidimensional with our receivers this game.  That means don’t go to Rashard Ross ONCE early in the game and then have him disappear for the next 58 minutes.  It means don’t let Garcon get away with not stepping up to the plate.  He’s been a number 1 receiver for this team before he needs to step up this week and not put it all on the shoulders of the young receivers.  Don’t let Roberts get away with drops, if he’s struggling put Grant in and don’t look back.

Special Teams:

-          In 2014 Tavon Austin returned a 78 yard punt for a touchdown to seal the game in the 3rd  quarter.  Last week Jarvis Landry had a 65 yard punt return in the 3rd quarter to shift the momentum back in favor of the Dolphins.  The prime time for this event to happen this week will be in the late 3rd quarter/early 4th quarter, most likely after the Redskins have had a slow start after halftime and squandered at least 2 or 3 opportunities on offense, while our defense tires themselves out trying to keep us in the game.  The Redskins NEED to start the second half fast and strong, regardless of the score, and realize their special teams are too vulnerable to play conservative and hope for a low scoring game.  The offense needs to have a cushion going into the 4th quarter if we hope to win

-          Our brand new kicker has not been here long enough to realize that with this fanbase, he needs to play absolutely perfectly or else 20 years of ineptitude will be assigned to him.  Hopefully he will rise to the challenge but I anticipate him having at least one or two plays that are not perfect.  Don’t make him the fall guy for the troubles of a unit that was terrible before he got here.  The Redskins need to play this game well enough so that we’re not relying on a brand new kicker to cover up all our special team mistakes.  A rookie kicker is a liability, don’t gameplan as if he is a strength and lean on him too much. 

-          If you can't out physical the other team then you better be able to outhink them.  We need to play smarter not harder.  I would tell our new kicker to avoid punting to Tavon Austin at all costs.  This isn't a pride factor it is being realistic and smart in regards to gameplanning with the talent you have to work with.  Make him a non factor.  Remove the threat completely and don't try to get cute.  He cannot hurt us if we don't put the ball in his hands

You nailed it bro.

Honestly though, we really need to pump the breaks on STL. They beat the Seahawks in a week one divisional game. You can't read much into that.

They are not posting back to back 30 point games. This game will be very close and come down to whoever makes the least amount of mistakes (I mean ****, KC had to be due for a turnover-less game right? Lol)

Offense plays the same as last week but gets the benefit of the doubt/cuts down on penalties we'll win this weekend.

Lot of people seem to be stuck in depressed mode. That's wasn't a classic Redskins game I watched at the weekend. We moved the ball far more efficiently (aside from penalties) and the defense was as good as we could have hoped.

Far more optimistic about this team now then I was this time last week.

How do we avoid playing like the Redskins?

We're not.  We didn't last week.

Clean up the penalties, hope for health, and build on what we did last week and we'll be in the game at the end (like we were last week).

Do yourself a favor, OP, and get a little bit more of a big picture view of what's happening.  Try not to miss the forest through the trees. 

If we improve every week we're doing it right.

We're not.  We didn't last week.

Clean up the penalties, hope for health, and build on what we did last week and we'll be in the game at the end (like we were last week).

Do yourself a favor, OP, and get a little bit more of a big picture view of what's happening.  Try not to miss the forest through the trees. 

We scored 10 points, no big plays, had trouble with special teams, and lost. Looked like a normal Redskins game to me. 

We're not. We didn't last week.

Do yourself a favor, OP, and get a little bit more of a big picture view of what's happening. Try not to miss the forest through the trees.

I agree with you that the way we played last week showed potential. There were definitley things to get excited about and I trust that our GM is moving us in the right direction.

I put the term "the redskins" in quotes as a way to describe both the media's generalized view of the franchise, as well as how they have approached this scenario in years past. My point was that we've seen the script above play out more than once in past seasons and we know how quickly the season can go downhill afterwards.

The above scenario is how the past Redskins would handle this matchup. I've seen enough trees so far in the forest to be hopeful that with smart coaching and preperation, this year's team can avoid a similar fate

We scored 10 points, no big plays, had trouble with special teams, and lost. Looked like a normal Redskins game to

me. 

The gameplan was to use the running game to protect the QB AND to protect the secondary, both or which are not the strengths of the team.   We dominated the time of possession and did about as good a job as we could've protecting the secondary.  (EDIT:  Dallas did the same thing last year to protect their defense, which many predicted would be epically bad.  We don't have the playmakers on offense that they did, but we could do a better job at being less conservative at times.  I think we will as the season progresses and the o-line gets better/more mature).

This is now a smash mouth team, we will run the ball and stop the run.  We did fairly well at both.  All the while grooming the o-line and taking away the strength of the Dolphins (their pass rush).

If we played like "the same old Redskins" we not only would've just gone out there and shot from the hip without a plan, but we would not have had the opportunity to tie the game late.  Twice, really.

There was some bad execution, sure.  Both teams get paid money to win the game and their team made plays where our team did not.  But we definitely earned our money and will (should) be better going forward.

I put the term "the redskins" in quotes as a way to describe both the media's generalized view of the franchise, as well as how they have approached this scenario in years past. My point was that we've seen the script above play out more than once in past seasons and we know how quickly the season can go downhill afterwards.

The above scenario is how the past Redskins would handle this matchup. I've seen enough trees so far in the forest to be hopeful that with smart coaching and preperation, this year's team can avoid a similar fate

I'm not trying to insult anyones intelligence in here.  But I think anyone who (1) is in a management position in their line of work; (2) knows a little bit about football; and (3) can honestly step back and see the big picture of where this team is at personnel-wise, will see that this was actually a pretty good job by the Redskins coaching staff.  As I said, anytime the game is there to tie or win at the end the coaches have done a good job. 

I was upset that we lost, too.    But that doesn't mean that this was a bad job by the team or the coaches.

And fwiw, most of the local media have praised the players and the coaches for that performance.  It's a subset of fans that are all doom and gloom.

This is a rebuild, my brother.  That doesn't give us an excuse for losing, but I don't think you should be killing the team or saying "same old Redskins" after Sunday's game.  It was far from it.

The gameplan was to use the running game to protect the QB AND to protect the secondary, both or which are not the strengths of the team.   We dominated the time of possession and did about as good a job as we could've protecting the secondary.

This is now a smash mouth team, we will run the ball and stop the run.  We did fairly well at both.  All the while grooming the o-line and taking away the strength of the Dolphins (their pass rush).

If we played like "the same old Redskins" we not only would've just gone out there and shot from the hip without a plan, but we would not have had the opportunity to tie the game late.  Twice, really.

There was some bad execution, sure.  Both teams get paid money to win the game and their team made plays where our team did not.  But we definitely earned our money and will (should be better going forward).

I'm not trying to insult anyones intelligence in here.  But I think anyone who (1) is in a management position in their line of work; (2) knows a little bit about football; and (3) can honestly step back and see the big picture of where this team is at personnel-wise, will see that this was actually a pretty good job by the Redskins coaching staff.  As I said, anytime the game is there to tie or win at the end the coaches have done a good job. 

I was upset that we lost, too.    But that doesn't mean that this was a bad job by the team or the coaches.

And fwiw, most of the local media have praised the players and the coaches for that performance.  It's a subset of fans that are all doom and gloom.

This is a rebuild, my brother.  That doesn't give us an excuse for losing, but I don't think you should be killing the team or saying "same old Redskins" after Sunday's game.  It was far from it.

I'm not saying "same old redskins" about sunday's game.  I'm saying it about the teams  from the last few seasons.  Check my posting history, I'm probably the biggest Gruden fan on the board lol.  I think theyre making alot of progress that just hasn't necessarily resulted in wins yet.  

I'm not saying "same old redskins" about sunday's game.  I'm saying it about the teams  from the last few seasons.  Check my posting history, I'm probably the biggest Gruden fan on the board lol

I'm not saying you aren't a Gruden fan.  If you don't think we playing like the "same old Redskins" on Sunday then why start this thread?

I really like Kobra Kai, as much as the next guy, but it seems that it's more important to the coaching staff to get that touchback and hope on field goals than it is to directional kick and risk the return.

I think the GM and coaches have been very honest with where this team is at and what we need to do to get better overall... even at the risk of getting rid of some fan favorites.

Not at all the same old Redskins.  From top to bottom.

I'm just asking to be patient and support the team and the process.  We've wanted a legit rebuild for a while, and have been patient through **** efforts for years.  But it seems that now that we have tangible, real life evidence that one is taking place and you can even see the evidence in the gameplan and the effort on the field and with personnel move, everyone is losing their minds that we aren't winning while it's happening.

It's not fair and frankly it's a bit embarassing as a Redskins fan to see how uneducated some of our fans are.

I'm not saying you aren't a Gruden fan.  If you don't think we playing like the "same old Redskins" on Sunday then why start this thread?

I really like Kobra Kai, as much as the next guy, but it seems that it's more important to the coaching staff to get that touchback and hope on field goals than it is to directional kick and risk the return.

I think the GM and coaches have been very honest with where this team is at and what we need to do to get better overall... even at the risk of getting rid of some fan favorites.

Not at all the same old Redskins.  From top to bottom.

I'm just asking to be patient and support the team and the process.  We've wanted a legit rebuild for a while, and have been patient through **** efforts for years.  But it seems that now that we have tangible, real life evidence that one is taking place and you can even see the evidence in the gameplan and the effort on the field and with personnel move, everyone is losing their minds that we aren't winning while it's happening.

It's not fair and frankly it's a bit embarassing as a Redskins fan to see how uneducated some of our fans are.

- we didn't play like "the same old Redskins" on Sunday (except for maybe the special teams gaffe, but that's not the point I'm trying to make with my topic post)  

- The points in my original post were on field issues that I've noticed frequently occured in years past

- if addressed this week and going forward, they will keep us from regressing into "the same old Redskins" from years past.  As in "we took a step forward against the dolphins, here's how to avoid taking two steps backwards this week"

- I have confidence in our coaching staff and GM that they will address them

- I don't mind moving on from Forbath.  I am just cautioning against leaning too heavily on a new kicker that has never had an NFL snap

- I agree with you about our GM and Gruden being open and honest about where our team is at.  Its my favorite thing about them and always has been.  Here's a post of mine saying that exact thing as far back as  March

http://es.redskins.com/topic/386248-zoony-bin-the-official-15-offseason-twitter-thread-whine-room-now-open-serving-francis-copious-speculation-cab-lavar-buffet-incl-tips-included/page-318#entry10173087

- Not sure if the uneducated remark is directed at me but I think you and me are actually on the same page in terms of our opinions and either I didn't explain myself properly or your read my post wrong.

- Not sure if the uneducated remark is directed at me but I think you and me are actually on the same page in terms of our opinions and either I didn't explain myself properly or your read my post wrong.

It wasn't directed at you.  But those guys are in this thread because of how you presented the theme of the OP (which the intent of the OP is really good).

My irritation is from the seeming lack of in game adjustments we don't make.

As this year progresses, I would like to see the coaching staff actually coaching these guys up better on the fly.  Make adjustments.  Attack weak spots and use their strengths against them like we did with the running game in the 1st half. 

Positives:

We cut Suh's legs out so much he lost his mind.  He will not want to play against this offense again.  Scherff definitely won that battle.

Defense was stifling the run until they got tired.  Passing D wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared.

WRs not named Roberts showed up to play and did a good job getting open against a pretty good defense.  Our young guys showed up when their opportunities presented themselves.

Cousins showed us he can be a good starter (not sold on him being our future yet).  The interception on the sideline was a well laid trap by the defender and I believe Cousins was falling away under pressure.  That end zone fade tho!  Great play.

Our RBs are monsters. 

Defense was the best we've seen in a long time.  We gave up 10 points.  That should get us a W any week.

Negatives:

That horse has been beat to death.  Just run the ball and stay ahead of the chains.  We're a terrible 3rd and long team.

I don't think the skins can win being as conservative as they were against Miami. They need to try to get big plays on 1st and 2nd down. This whole, 10-15 play drives are going to be tough against the Rams. Gruden needs to open up the playbook a bit. Get some trick plays in there, something to not be so basic. 

Strongly disagree. 

Sounds like a recipe for your QB taking 6 sacks and suffering a neck injury by the end of the game. 

The big plays will have to come from our defense and special teams. I wonder what Joe Barry has in mind against the Rams because last year they took advantage big-time of our over-pursuit against the run. We're super thin at both CB and Safety and that doesn't bode well for our ability to keep their TE in check this time around. 

Strongly disagree. 

Sounds like a recipe for your QB taking 6 sacks and suffering a neck injury by the end of the game. 

The big plays will have to come from our defense and special teams. I wonder what Joe Barry has in mind against the Rams because last year they took advantage big-time of our over-pursuit against the run. We're super thin at both CB and Safety and that doesn't bode well for our ability to keep their TE in check this time around. 

I'm not so worried about the TE.  Robinson should be able to cover him.  Riley will be a mismatch, as well as our smaller safety.

I think we'll be ok as long as we limit the big plays.

Catch the interceptions when the pressure gets to the QB and we're in good shape.  Another strip sack or two wouldn't hurt either.

I'm more confident against the Rams than I was against the Dolphins.

This loss did not upset me the way the losses have in past seasons.  I really saw an improved Redskins team out there.  I felt like I was watching a real football team.  The defense made stops, offense ran the ball well,  QB had time, and they were in the game the entire time. I'm excited to see this team continue to improve over the season.  That is all I want this year and anything above that is just a bonus.

Strongly disagree. 

Gotta disagree with this disagreement. We looked the exact same last year to start off the season. Great defensive performance, Morris averaging 6.5 ypc. Only difference was we were able to go down field and get big plays. Unfortunately two dumb fumbles in the red zone and another special teams debacle killed us. Same script. 

I don't think the skins can win being as conservative as they were against Miami. They need to try to get big plays on 1st and 2nd down. This whole, 10-15 play drives are going to be tough against the Rams. Gruden needs to open up the playbook a bit. Get some trick plays in there, something to not be so basic.

There is an article posted in Bubba'sBreaking News from scout.com with analysis of two plays. Both plays had "big play" potential but failed. One due to blown block and the other (Djax injury play) was overthrown. I will never complain when we run the ball 30+ times for over 160 yards. That is a recipe for success. D played great. ST and penalties are to blame for last week's loss.

Archived